Danny Ings

sisi1992

2 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Yep only a first grade arsehole using the word cancer in this context.

Clear a nasty piece of work but probably less gobby in real company.

It’s a metaphor pal, it’s really not that deep. Cancerous cells invade and destroy healthy ones. that’s what a bad egg, in this case Ings and Bertrand, can do in a dressing room. 

22 minutes ago, SKD said:

Pretty sure he fell out with Austin and I seem to recall comments around the time Rohl left, that there was very little communication between Ralph and the players.. I.e rohl was the man manager of the 2. 

The bit about him hating saints and not being a fan is 100% correct. He’s never been a fan, despite what people claimed on here. 

Or course he has never been a fan 

Anyway why haven’t all these doom laden supporters who have never ever praised a time when they are happy with the club not fucked off by now. They love to get hard ons for other clubs ‘ambition’ also known as just getting lucky with a sugar daddy.

Seriously must be quite sad being so depressed about football all the time.

• Like 5

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Or course he has never been a fan 

He’s not a fan. He’s always been bitter about the club letting him go at a young age. 

Believe the PR if you want, I’m telling you (not that it matters anyway) that he was not a fan.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

This was what I was told last night, no idea on the truth of it.

“Deal done 3 weeks ago

Hates Saints - more importantly hates Ralph. Says training sessions are 30% fitness, 50% defensive and 20% of shit. 

Not a Saints fan so no ties, keen to play ‘higher’“

I would be surprised if Ralph spent 50% of the time on defending If last season’s shit show is anything to go by.

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

And as you are proving on saints web.

Keep on topic please sir. No need for personal Insults (don’t drop to Always’ level) but use the lounge if you can’t resist. 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

“Deal done 3 weeks ago

Hates Saints - more importantly hates Ralph. Says training sessions are 30% fitness, 50% defensive and 20% of shit. 

Coached him to the best season of his career and got him in the England squad 😆

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Coached him to the best season of his career and got him in the England squad 😆

What I will (seriously) add, that summer Danny worked his arse off and was arguably at his peak fitness. I do wonder if this had more to play in his form, rather than the management methods. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

What I will (seriously) add, that summer Danny worked his arse off and was arguably at his peak fitness. I do wonder if this had more to play in his form, rather than the management methods. 

You're posts are incredibly tiresome. Why do you bother supporting Saints if everything is so bad. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Happy to see him go. That he’s failed to attract one of the big clubs tells me that he’s only interested in the money and that none of them wanted him. It’s fair enough to chase the pay at this late stage in his career, although he’s already so well paid that it smacks of greed.  He’s on the downward path, already not the player he was 2 years ago and he misses too much game time due to injury. 
If the club spend the money wisely we could be better off without him. 

Absolutely, now let’s watch Villa keep him fit.  Liverpool couldn’t do what Saints could.  I am sceptical that Villa will.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

You're posts are incredibly tiresome. Why do you bother supporting Saints if everything is so bad. 

I’ll still be there, supporting us in the championship, when we filter out all the premier league tag ons and happy clapping muppets. 

8 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Did I miss his goodbye/words of thanks for the fans? Hasn’t got an ounce of class the likes of Lambert had. 

To be honest I generally hate those and find them disingenuous. Whatever you think of ings at least he hasn't tried to be all fake and suck up to the fans. When Adam did that after he'd shat on the fan base it made me feel sick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be honest I generally hate those and find them disingenuous. Whatever you think of ings at least he hasn't tried to be all fake and suck up to the fans. When Adam did that after he'd shat on the fan base it made me feel sick. 

Agree with this.   I don't see the point in raking over the coals of whether he was a Saints fan, or hated Ralph.   Fact is he played one, and maybe two seasons that saved us from the threat of relegation.....let's be grateful for that.   I'd put him up with Pahars, Lambert and Beattie as great Southampton strikers.   

• Like 2

Am not sure if something else has gone on behind the scenes. All seems to have come out of nowhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Saints had put down an ultimatum along the lines of if you haven't committed to us by such a date, the contract offer is withdrawn. Ings suddenly is in a corner, does he take the risk that a big four club comes in for him, whom he must know, haven't shown a shred of interest in him, or does he take the first available offer that is on the table. It's pretty obvious he was never going to sign a new contract with us, his agent would have known if a really big club was interested. The testing himself at a higher level was just a load of bollocks. I believe it's just about the money. He had to move this window, if he got injured and had spells out of the team then that would reduce his options still further. Maybe Saints went even further, with another PEH situation, unlikely given his importance to us, but it's a possibility. 

Looking at the photo of him holding the Villa shirt up, he doesn't exactly looked thrilled to be doing that. I think he expected a top four club to come in for him. He's obviously said all the right things about Vllla having ambition etc, but I firmly believe they won't break into the top 8 whilst Smith is in charge.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well it sounds like he didn’t even say goodbye to his teammates, so I guess it was too much to expect for him to do it to the fans.

If you look on Grealish’ Instagram there’s about 30 good luck wishes from pretty much every single member of the Villa squad. On top of the countless videos on the clubs page as well as his own.

Not a single message from a Saints player and nothing from the club themselves either for Ings. I’m honestly surprised this one went completely sour but I’d love to know why.

Ah well he’s gone, nothing new in the cycle of Saints and the various players over the years. Good ones you learn to enjoy seeing in Red and White knowing to make the most of it while they are with us, because in the cold light of day there will be another club with better finances to pay better money. From a players point of view past 30 and the end of your playing days are on the horizon, 35 if you are lucky that’s it. If you have lived in the top flight,  no one is going to be paying you a stratospheric weekly wage any more and you have to make what you have accumulated last for possibly 50 years or more to live the lifestyle you have become accustomed to. Unfortunately that’s the way of the football world, there is so much money sloshing around now, we all know the gap between the players and the fans world is beyond infinity. 

Him leaving us might be a blessing in disguise, we all know that he has medical record that probably has to be wheeled around on a fork lift, most of us all had a sharp intake of breath sat at home last season whenever he got clattered, grumbled when he was out. Goodness knows what Saints had on the table for him, but these pages would be too hot to open if he had signed a new 3-4 year deal and it came out that he was the 1st player to break the Saints £100k per week barrier, then got crocked late August to the point where we hardly saw him before Christmas. This forum would be beating each other up questioning why we renewed for so much money over such a long time knowing that he had the potential to break. 
None of us know what the Saints medical team could see under the skin of Ings, they could have advised that it was a 50/50 risk to extend his contract we went through the motions to see what would happen and who might come sniffing, none of the big boys seemingly looked through the window, out of nowhere Villa pop up with a pleasing wedge. “He doesn’t want to be here, means we don’t have a potential millstone” “Fans will be upset, but pleased we made some money, but they will asking why Villa thats a sideways move  - we don’t get quite so much grief”.

He gone that’s it, none of us knows what went on behind closed doors but if it was brewing for the 3 weeks mentioned above, with the media seemingly able to find out all sorts, the lid was superbly screwed down: which is intriguing in itself.

Just when he steps out on the pitch at SMS in his Villa shirt, don’t boo or sing silly songs, we all know he can be lethal in the blink of an eye so no point fuelling him up to shut us up.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am not sure if something else has gone on behind the scenes. All seems to have come out of nowhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Saints had put down an ultimatum along the lines of if you haven't committed to us by such a date, the contract offer is withdrawn. Ings suddenly is in a corner, does he take the risk that a big four club comes in for him, whom he must know, haven't shown a shred of interest in him, or does he take the first available offer that is on the table. It's pretty obvious he was never going to sign a new contract with us, his agent would have known if a really big club was interested. The testing himself at a higher level was just a load of bollocks. I believe it's just about the money. He had to move this window, if he got injured and had spells out of the team then that would reduce his options still further. Maybe Saints went even further, with another PEH situation, unlikely given his importance to us, but it's a possibility. 

Looking at the photo of him holding the Villa shirt up, he doesn't exactly looked thrilled to be doing that. I think he expected a top four club to come in for him. He's obviously said all the right things about Vllla having ambition etc, but I firmly believe they won't break into the top 8 whilst Smith is in charge.

Exactly- people are so desperate to moan about the fact he gone to Villa that they're missing the fact that we have looked after ourselves first and foremost - our priorities were 1) get him to sign 2) if he doesn't sign maximise our return and sell quickly 3) absolutely not let him go into his final year un-signed 

While its probable that Tottenham or some other big club would have been more likely to try and nick him on Aug 31, and that Ings would probably prefer that, that wasn't our objective - once we accepted the Villa offer Danny's game was up.

People are moaning now, but it's as sure as shit they'd be moaning a heck of a lot more if he was driving up to Spurs on the last day of August for £20m.

If anyone really thinks that Danny Ings has got the move he was dreaming of, then good luck to you. Personally I think we've done just as well out of this situation as the player. Good luck in the Champions League, big shot.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly- people are so desperate to moan about the fact he gone to Villa that they're missing the fact that we have looked after ourselves first and foremost - our priorities were 1) get him to sign 2) if he doesn't sign maximise our return and sell quickly 3) absolutely not let him go into his final year un-signed 

While its probable that Tottenham or some other big club would have been more likely to try and nick him on Aug 31, and that Ings would probably prefer that, that wasn't our objective - once we accepted the Villa offer Danny's game was up.

People are moaning now, but it's as sure as shit they'd be moaning a heck of a lot more if he was driving up to Spurs on the last day of August for £20m.

If anyone really thinks that Danny Ings has got the move he was dreaming of, then good luck to you. Personally I think we've done just as well out of this situation as the player. Good luck in the Champions League, big shot.

One hopes that this may be a warning to others in the future. It’s not like things have turned out bad for Ings but, as you imply, I very much doubt Aston Villa was on his list of destinations.

59 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Agreed - things can always be worse no matter what situation you face in life. Slinking off to Spurs at the end of the window for £20m would be a worse scenario. The priority missing from your list is 4) Purchase replacement before Ings leaves or at least have a hot lead or two ready to go once he does leave. Not saying this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't. Whatever happens now, we'll be paying over the odds for a replacement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Agreed - things can always be worse no matter what situation you face in life. Slinking off to Spurs at the end of the window for £20m would be a worse scenario. The priority missing from your list is 4) Purchase replacement before Ings leaves or at least have a hot lead or two ready to go once he does leave. Not saying this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't. Whatever happens now, we'll be paying over the odds for a replacement.

100% agree and this is where Villa have done great - they've put themselves on the front foot by getting some big signings in before the ink was dry on Grealish.

It would be nice if we could do that kind of thing once in a while.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, austsaint said:

Agree with this.   I don't see the point in raking over the coals of whether he was a Saints fan, or hated Ralph.   Fact is he played one, and maybe two seasons that saved us from the threat of relegation.....let's be grateful for that.   I'd put him up with Pahars, Lambert and Beattie as great Southampton strikers.   

No way would i put Ings anywhere near those greats.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

This x100. Quite happy with the Ings sale, he would have regressed back to Hughes era levels this season and as I’ve posted there were equal risks in him signing a deal and leaving for free next season for both club and player given his injury history. This is the least risky option for Saints and Ings, risk for Villa but with the Grealish money a calculated one which could well pay off provided they don’t expect a full season.

I don’t think he had ever forgiven the club for being released as a kid so thank you for the 20/21 season in particular and the start of last season with the performances and goals. It’s another player and only really Bridge and Lambert I’ve been sad to see move on over the years.

Where I’m frustrated although not surprised is when Danny has let the cat out of the bag that this has been sorted out for the three weeks. So the replacement deals should be done in the time, they’ve known for many months he wasn’t renewing. Reactive bit good, but as ever a lack of drive and pro activity. Now clubs know they have the Ings money and prices go up. Limited funds are not an excuse for lack of drive and urgency, or organisation. 

21 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

This x100. Quite happy with the Ings sale, he would have regressed back to Hughes era levels this season and as I’ve posted there were equal risks in him signing a deal and leaving for free next season for both club and player given his injury history. This is the least risky option for Saints and Ings, risk for Villa but with the Grealish money a calculated one which could well pay off provided they don’t expect a full season.

I don’t think he had ever forgiven the club for being released as a kid so thank you for the 20/21 season in particular and the start of last season with the performances and goals. It’s another player and only really Bridge and Lambert I’ve been sad to see move on over the years.

Where I’m frustrated although not surprised is when Danny has let the cat out of the bag that this has been sorted out for the three weeks. So the replacement deals should be done in the time, they’ve known for many months he wasn’t renewing. Reactive bit good, but as ever a lack of drive and pro activity. Now clubs know they have the Ings money and prices go up. Limited funds are not an excuse for lack of drive and urgency, or organisation. 

Don't quite understand this. Not sure how we could buy a replacement before getting the money for selling Ings. As to prices going up once selling clubs know we have funds available, that's always been the case for every club not just us. It's down to the negotiators to make sure any signings are at a fair price in the current market. 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Where is this? Not seen it.

Saint Garrett mentioned he had a text from a friend saying that this had been sorted for three weeks, training was shite, hated Ralph etc.

So it's not first hand info (not knocking SG for passing it on).

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Badger mentioned he had a text from a friend saying that this had been sorted for three weeks, training was shite, hated Ralph etc.

So it's not first hand info (not knocking Badger for passing it on).

Ings also himself said in his first interview at Villa that it had been done for a while and that he’d had to keep it very quiet (presumably because of the link to the Grealish chain) even from his father. 

36 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Don't quite understand this. Not sure how we could buy a replacement before getting the money for selling Ings. As to prices going up once selling clubs know we have funds available, that's always been the case for every club not just us. It's down to the negotiators to make sure any signings are at a fair price in the current market. 

TBF, I'm surprised they didn't have options lined up, knowing it was likely Ings would go. You might not be able to actually buy them, but you can sort everything else out until you do have the funds to buy them.

If you look at the Lukaku situation, there are rumours that he's off to Chelsea, Inter have lined up Zapata from Atalanta, and Atalanta are looking to bring in Abraham as a replacemnet.

Ings is the club’s fourth signing of the summer and the 29-year-old sat down for his first interview since sealing the move.

“The club itself is a huge club, as everybody knows, you can see the direction that the owners and everyone wants to take the club,” he said.

“It’s a huge club with a huge reputation and huge expectation from the fans.

“But it was a challenge I couldn’t really shy away from and a challenge that I’m looking forward to.”

“It is a tough challenge, a club like this should be competing for Europe with its history and everything else.

“Hopefully I can play my part in achieving that but there’s definitely a lot of good times to look forward to for this football club.”

“Everywhere I’ve been in my career, one of the biggest things for me is to get that bond with the fans as quick as possible and I’ve managed to do that at every other club that I’ve been at, and this is no different.

“I’m really, really looking forward to running out in front of them at Villa Park and showing them what I can do.”

He continued: “It’s a great stadium, great fans, as I said before, great history, and I think all together with myself and the other signings, and the great squad that’s already here, I’m sure we can achieve great things.”

Let's look on the bright side: we don't have to worry about him getting injured this season! Actually that's the basis for a good question at the Radio Solent fan's forum anyone who goes: "Are you relieved that you don't have to worry about Ings getting injured this season?"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ings is the club’s fourth signing of the summer and the 29-year-old sat down for his first interview since sealing the move.

“The club itself is a huge club, as everybody knows, you can see the direction that the owners and everyone wants to take the club,” he said.

“It’s a huge club with a huge reputation and huge expectation from the fans.

“But it was a challenge I couldn’t really shy away from and a challenge that I’m looking forward to.”

“It is a tough challenge, a club like this should be competing for Europe with its history and everything else.

“Hopefully I can play my part in achieving that but there’s definitely a lot of good times to look forward to for this football club.”

“Everywhere I’ve been in my career, one of the biggest things for me is to get that bond with the fans as quick as possible and I’ve managed to do that at every other club that I’ve been at, and this is no different.

“I’m really, really looking forward to running out in front of them at Villa Park and showing them what I can do.”

He continued: “It’s a great stadium, great fans, as I said before, great history, and I think all together with myself and the other signings, and the great squad that’s already here, I’m sure we can achieve great things.”

Standard copy and paste interview for every player signing everywhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

“Deal done 3 weeks ago

When it says ‘hates Saints’ I know some people who have worked for Saints and they very much totally dislike the people who run the club. They are Saints fans but they’ll tell you there are some absolute cnuts who are definitely NOT Saints fans running the place. Ralph clearly falls out with people as well so it’s hardly unlikely that he and Ings would have come to blows. 

Ings has been brilliant for us. He, like Bertrand, have opted to leave for better clubs. The money is no doubt brilliant but don’t we all want to enjoy where work, and respect who we work for? 

3 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

When it says ‘hates Saints’ I know some people who have worked for Saints and they very much totally dislike the people who run the club. They are Saints fans but they’ll tell you there are some absolute cnuts who are definitely NOT Saints fans running the place. Ralph clearly falls out with people as well so it’s hardly unlikely that he and Ings would have come to blows. 

Ings has been brilliant for us. He, like Bertrand, have opted to leave for better clubs. The money is no doubt brilliant but don’t we all want to enjoy where work, and respect who we work for? 

Always amused by the notion that people working/running for the club have to be saints fans. We've seen with the Ted Bates statue what happens when fans start sticking their nose into things involved with the club. There are cnuts in most corporate companies surprised anyone would think football would be any different. 

Edited by Turkish

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Always amused by the notion that people working/running for the club have to be saints fans. We've seen with the Ted Bates statue what happens when fans start sticking their nose into things involved with the club. There are cnuts in most corporate companies surprised anyone would think football would be any different. 

Not a worry about them being fans, just making the point that Danny Ings didn’t need to be a Saints fan and that he might have moved on because he didn’t like who he worked for, not the organisation. 

But I am not one of those people who automatically dislikes anyone who moves on from Saints, or chooses not to come here. This Ings transfer is a great deal for SFC from a financial point of view and footballers are nothing more than pawns in this particular corporate game. 

• Like 1

There is a thin line between love and hate.....

The love: take a gamble on one of our "own", buy whilst broken,  rehabilitation,  resurrection of career,  fought together and lost together,  great set ups, great goals,  great celebrations, great despair. All whilst becoming a leader of the Saints team/tribe/warriors.  

The hate: refusing to sign a new contract, leaving a team that has done everything to get you to be the best you have ever been, trotting off to dubiously greener pastures. 

fanny Danny has fallen into the hate category, with so many others we have had leave us when they thought they are too good for us. As any enemy on the field, he will get no applause from me, no well wishes, he is dead to me.....

18 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Yep, bores people to death. 

Hope for several wins as he will be on here considerably less when we do.

Imagine being in the pub with this bloke moaning constantly 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings