Danny Ings

sisi1992

38 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd argue our central midfield is way better than theirs. JWP > Romeu > Diallo > Luiz > Stu > McGinn > > > Nakamba. Our depth options would walk into their starting 11. They get dominated in midfield in 90% of games now they have no Grealish, it is their biggest weakness for me aside from an LB who is stealing a living.

Can't agree about Nakamba, he's literally, Marvelous

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I expect some very expensive loans in to Newcastle in January, like Lingard or Van de Beek.  Unless they're really buggered come January they will be able to bring in players to get themselves out of it.

Yeah, this will be their approach I reckon. Top 6 squad players that want to play more, but don't want to commit to a side that might get relegated. These players you mention plus maybe, Dele, RLC, Barkley. In terms of perms, they might get established players in the final 6 months of their contract by wafting huge sums under the clubs noses (Tarkowski would be in that boat). You'd expect them to have a stronger squad, post Jan, but whether it'll keep them up - who knows?

Edited by Saint Mikey

7 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Oh look, you have an audience - good for you @LiberalCommunist - that laugh may have just been your best contribution to the forum. When you grow a pair of balls, come back and we can have a sensible, grown up chat about what your problem is...

And Justin - not much point us engaging here - you clearly didnt get my point about wanting Dean Smith to carry on, and defaulted to the ultra-intelligent "you must be a Villa fan then' line. Genius 😂

And yes, I do go to games and the stuff said is in context - the heat of the moment, so is somewhat more understandable.

You calling someone a prick for leaving a football club, who were willing to sell him, months after they left - just think it was way OTT.

To me, I think it speaks volumes on your character, which is fine if you want to behave this way - just not for me 👍

Im going to leave it there fella, boring for others to see people squabbling.

Blimey, you got all that from a smiley? You seem to suffer from some form of paranoid delusion. I'd offer some advice, but I'm just random guy typing (3 times a day) on a football forum. Chill mate, it's really not as serious as you think it is. 

5 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Yeah, this will be their approach I reckon. Top 6 squad players that want to play more, but don't want to commit to a side that might get relegated. These players you mention plus maybe, Dele, RLC, Barkley. In terms of perms, they might get established players in the final 6 months of their contract by wafting huge sums under the clubs noses (Tarkowski would be in that boat). You'd expect them to have a stronger squad, post Jan, but whether it'll keep them up - who knows?

Not sure I'd want to be going into a relegation dogfight with Dele and Barkley in my team - or some of the others being mentioned. They're loan-available for a reason.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Blimey, you got all that from a smiley? You seem to suffer from some form of paranoid delusion. I'd offer some advice, but I'm just random guy typing (3 times a day) on a football forum. Chill mate, it's really not as serious as you think it is. 

Maybe learn to read what was said, as in I mentioned one thing about you. You seem to have an issue with me from Not606, I’ve asked why, which you ignore. tell you what, I’m willing to start from a clean slate with you, take you at face value, if you’re able to do the same?

How ‘bout it, Buddy 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Haha 1

You are fairly delusional though, it's hard to ignore. 

You dig me out every time. Not once have I called you out. Trawl through the posts and you'll see I'm right. 

I don't mind though. I've been round long enough to use the platform as something fun, something others haven't managed to do. 

And Wolves were awful, we didn't outplay them, they were totally inept. That game was dreadful. 

Pretend we lost one nil because we were unlucky if you wish, but we were so below par/substandard that day. Okay, it wasn't a red card v's Utd or Fox, but in my mind we were worse that day with how clueless we were from top to bottom of every decision. Has everyone blanked that performance out? Please, do a revisit the SOU-WW thread, read back the thread and post your thoughts.......I'm intrigued to hear opinions. 

I

21 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

You are fairly delusional though, it's hard to ignore. 

You dig me out every time. Not once have I called you out. Trawl through the posts and you'll see I'm right. 

I don't mind though. I've been round long enough to use the platform as something fun, something others haven't managed to do. 

And Wolves were awful, we didn't outplay them, they were totally inept. That game was dreadful. 

Pretend we lost one nil because we were unlucky if you wish, but we were so below par/substandard that day. Okay, it wasn't a red card v's Utd or Fox, but in my mind we were worse that day with how clueless we were from top to bottom of every decision. Has everyone blanked that performance out? Please, do a revisit the SOU-WW thread, read back the thread and post your thoughts.......I'm intrigued to hear opinions. 

I

Is this post to me?

You are calling me delusional when I think you may be confusing me with other posters says it all really…

I haven’t said anything about Wolves, are you confusing me with someone else? Funny if so, as someone else was talking about the Wolves match recently, saying we played good and was unlucky but that wasn’t me.

I was fuming after the Wolves game and wouldn’t have been upset then if Ralph walked, I’m pleased he didn’t, but I thought it was wrong to play KWP in that one, and Ralph got a few things wrong in the game - selection, tactics, subs  

I have barely posted to you, apart from when you asked if I’m on ‘one of my rants’ which I didn’t like, thought it was unreasonable and I said that at the time. Other than that, I’ve barely responded to you. 

But never mind, I’m pretty delusional, you’ve got to admit.

Edit, checked my posts in the Wolves game, I only talked about the goal I’m that I didn’t think Bednarek was fouled , someone else did, I thought it was good play by Jimenez. 

Seriously, think you have mixed me up with someone else. 

Edited by Billy the Kidd

18 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Is this post to me?

You are calling me delusional when I think you may be confusing me with other posters says it all really…

I haven’t said anything about Wolves, are you confusing me with someone else? Funny if so, as someone else was talking about the Wolves match recently, saying we played good and was unlucky but that wasn’t me.

I was fuming after the Wolves game and wouldn’t have been upset then if Ralph walked, I’m pleased he didn’t, but I thought it was wrong to play KWP in that one, and Ralph got a few things wrong in the game - selection, tactics, subs  

I have barely posted to you, apart from when you asked if I’m on ‘one of my rants’ which I didn’t like, thought it was unreasonable and I said that at the time. Other than that, I’ve barely responded to you. 

But never mind, I’m pretty delusional, you’ve got to admit.

Edit, checked my posts in the Wolves game, I only talked about the goal I’m that I didn’t think Bednarek was fouled , someone else did, I thought it was good play by Jimenez. 

Seriously, think you have mixed me up with someone else. 

Fish 🐠 on !!! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings
8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Southampton FC - home for crocked and misfiring strikers. 🙄🤣

Sounds very familiar to what the forum pessimists were saying before he joined last time... ;)

He's been largely injury free the last 2.5 seasons (yes, I know he hasn't played much recently, thus reducing the chance of acquiring an in-game injury this season, but one assumes he's still being put through the paces in training, practice matches, etc.)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Sounds very familiar to what the forum pessimists were saying before he joined last time... ;)

He's been largely injury free the last 2.5 seasons (yes, I know he hasn't played much recently, thus reducing the chance of acquiring an in-game injury this season, but one assumes he's still being put through the paces in training, practice matches, etc.)

Think that’s the problem with players like Ings though - gets involved on a matchday and the rigours of a full pro game are enough to trigger another breakdown. Always living on the edge of another injury that takes him out for several games. Just as has happened with our latest striker acquisition. I’ve got nothing against Ings as such, just don’t think he’s a good purchase (unless he’s released on a free and plays on a pay by game contract).

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think that’s the problem with players like Ings though - gets involved on a matchday and the rigours of a full pro game are enough to trigger another breakdown. Always living on the edge of another injury that takes him out for several games

Except that that didn't happen in his last two full seasons... #neverletthefactsgetintheway... ;)

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not exciting reading really and he’s not appeared since May ‘23? But yeah let’s sign him for daft money - what could go wrong?  😏

Fair enough. Always happy to share differing opinions with my fellow Saintsweb chums :)

Merry Christmas! #bahhumbug 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

My concerns about Ings being linked with a possible return are, did he leave Saints on good terms??  If he did not then i would be surprised if there is any truth in the rumour.

Was he a disruptive influence in the dressing room by the time he left?? Again if he was i would be very surprised if there is any truth to the rumour.

We have a squad that appear all onboard with what's being asked of them and we don't appear to have any "Billy big bollocks" players in the squad that could be a disruptive influence.

Ings in his prime was brilliant for us but i have some niggling concerns about him now.

22 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

My concerns about Ings being linked with a possible return are, did he leave Saints on good terms??  If he did not then i would be surprised if there is any truth in the rumour.

Didnt he fall out with Ralph ? That was the rumour just after he'd gone from what i can remember.......besides even the owners are different to when he was here so thats kind of irrelevant. 

The only question I have - is he better than Adams and Mara ? Well thats a bloody big yes then !

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, trousers said:

Fair enough. Always happy to share differing opinions with my fellow Saintsweb chums :)

Merry Christmas! #bahhumbug 

Always enjoy our ‘chats’ Trousers…you’re one of my fav posters to be honest. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas and we share a few more wins/goals etc.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

If it's a straight six-month loan and KWP is not involved, let's be honest - it's a total no-brainer

This. A short term loan on a striker that knows the club, has scored goals before and is currently fit is a no brainer - especially as we still hope to have Stewart fit in the long term. I'd like a poll on this - I'm surprised people are against it.

If WH are interested in KWP, I still think Ben Johnson comes our way. Positionally it's about as like for like as you can get.

56 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Was he a disruptive influence in the dressing room by the time he left?? Again if he was i would be very surprised if there is any truth to the rumour.

We have a squad that appear all onboard with what's being asked of them and we don't appear to have any "Billy big bollocks" players in the squad that could be a disruptive influence.

Ings in his prime was brilliant for us but i have some niggling concerns about him now.

I guess you could've applied the same concerns to Bednarek, given his attitude when he left on loan (yes, I appreciate it's not a complete like-for-like, but it shows that players can redeem themselves after leaving on less than friendly terms)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Even though we seem to have have a striker sized hole in our squad right now I can see SR holding out to fill it until and if Che leaves. 

Besides, the argument goes, we have a top striker supposedly nearing fitness again which is essentially a new signing for us. Oh, and Mara looks like he can score as well. The fixture list looks fairly kind until mid Jan anyways so it may be manageable without.

Dont forget the downside of new loan striker- current striker disaffected ruin ( especially those injured) and also having to learn the system. Both not fixed overnight.
Interesting dilemma though! 

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

If we can get Ings on the cheap give it a go , not sure he has the zip now but as a sub for 30 mins he could be a good option.

Maybe he no longer has the 'zip' required for the PL but I'm convinced he could have a big impact at this level. Not against, in fact I'd welcome it, but I'd have thought we'd only get near his wage demands if West Ham are massively subsidising them.

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Even though we seem to have have a striker sized hole in our squad right now I can see SR holding out to fill it until and if Che leaves

Besides, the argument goes, we have a top striker supposedly nearing fitness again which is essentially a new signing for us. Oh, and Mara looks like he can score as well. The fixture list looks fairly kind until mid Jan anyways so it may be manageable without.

Dont forget the downside of new loan striker- current striker disaffected ruin ( especially those injured) and also having to learn the system. Both not fixed overnight.
Interesting dilemma though! 

Che is leaving. Whether that is in Jan or in the summer is still uncertain, but he clearly doesn't want to be here and the feeling is mutual. Whatever strengths he might have shown in the past, they've all but abandoned him this season and when he should be tearing up this league, he's actually just an empty shirt going through the motions. 

If SR don't want to fork out for a new striker while he's still on the books then the best bet would be to pack him off on loan in Jan and bring in another loan replacement. If Ings is willing to come then it's a no-brainer.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Maybe he no longer has the 'zip' required for the PL but I'm convinced he could have a big impact at this level. Not against, in fact I'd welcome it, but I'd have thought we'd only get near his wage demands if West Ham are massively subsidising them.

Does he have more zip than Rasiak had at this level? I expect so

Common sense says SR try to get at least a Million for Che in this window on a six month loan deal with right to buy for, say £5m-7m. Whether he would go to any the bottom three I doubt but there may be takers in bottom half. 

If that happens then a Danny Ings loan incoming might be cost neutral but might just get the temperature up in training and uptick in forwards taking chances!

I have got a sneaky suspicion that won’t happen though and our new Scottish striker is already here and starts playing again in January maybe alongside Mara  in the FA cup v Walsall. ( £10 tickets btw! Well done saints!) 

11 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Common sense says SR try to get at least a Million for Che in this window on a six month loan deal with right to buy for, say £5m-7m. Whether he would go to any the bottom three I doubt but there may be takers in bottom half. 

If that happens then a Danny Ings loan incoming might be cost neutral but might just get the temperature up in training and uptick in forwards taking chances!

I have got a sneaky suspicion that won’t happen though and our new Scottish striker is already here and starts playing again in January maybe alongside Mara  in the FA cup v Walsall. ( £10 tickets btw! Well done saints!) 

It’s about more than just getting some money from his sale. It would free up his wages which must be considerable for this league.

We aren't getting any better than Ings in January in the Championship. A six month loan sounds good to me. Last time he was here he was hungry to get back into the England setup and prove himself after his Liverpool career was destroyed by injuries. He has probably lost that now, but he'd be better than another January striker gamble. Not many clubs will sell a goal scorer in January and not many goal scorers will make moves to a Championship club in January.

If we get to the Premier League in the summer then we can reassess and hopefully have more options to fill the void upfront.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

We can't include a right to buy for a player who is out of contract in the summer anyway.

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We can't include a right to buy for a player who is out of contract in the summer anyway.

Oh I did not realise that. Could that contract be activated day before he becomes free agent then as a workaround? If he’s sent out on loan it means we basically save his wages but lose out on any kind of fee apart from a one off loan fee I guess? Balancing the books says whatever we save in his wages and get as a fee we will probably spend on his replacement. I doubt Danny Ings is on same money as a Che Adams though - probably double or treble I’d guess. 

Edited by gio1saints

23 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s about more than just getting some money from his sale. It would free up his wages which must be considerable for this league.

as a related side note to this.... Someone should probably remind Che that he is a big reason as to why we're in this leauge. If he didn't have the finishing ability of a 12 year old playing sunday leauge football, Ralph might have still been in a job. 

I thought this season might have been a good opportunity for him to score some goals, gain some confience and help us get promotion and him a nice move or payrise in the summer. 

Since the closure of the transfer window, he's been absolutely pathetic. Non-exsistant.  

If he's dissapointed he didn't get a move in the summer, he needs to look closer to home as to why noone would want him. 

If we can find a suiter, get him out the door and someone in who's willing to put a bit of effort in. 

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

as a related side note to this.... Someone should probably remind Che that he is a big reason as to why we're in this leauge. If he didn't have the finishing ability of a 12 year old playing sunday leauge football, Ralph might have still been in a job. 

I thought this season might have been a good opportunity for him to score some goals, gain some confience and help us get promotion and him a nice move or payrise in the summer. 

Since the closure of the transfer window, he's been absolutely pathetic. Non-exsistant.  

If he's dissapointed he didn't get a move in the summer, he needs to look closer to home as to why noone would want him. 

If we can find a suiter, get him out the door and someone in who's willing to put a bit of effort in. 

I think you might be over thinking it.

I think Adams probably is trying his best, he just isn't very good. He has only hit double figures twice in his league career, one of those was 8 years ago in League One (he only got 11) and the other was a seemingly one-off 22 goals the season before we bought him. He averages 5.5 goals a season over the other seasons of his professional career.

I personally reckon Ings on a 6-month loan (see how it goes) would be a big upgrade on Adams.

Edited by St Louis