Danny Ings

sisi1992

1 hour ago, Chickendippers said:

Swap him for Werner?

You jest, but you have to wonder whether Chelsea will look seriously at Ralph partly because of the Werner angle. Who better to improve their misfiring striker than the manager that developed and made his reputation?

Edited by Saint86

It would be nice to think that fans wouldn’t fall for the player letting us down bullshit this time. The ‘good’ offer highlighted by Adam Blackmore suggests we haven’t offered a great deal and Hassenhutl’s chat about not relying on Danny Ings shows you the internal reality. He’s likely to go because his value is not appreciated or affordable to the bean counters.

We are in a financial hole, the commercial department is at best average so money isn’t going to be flooding in to help fund player wages so we need to sell the key assets, which are players. It’s naive to think otherwise. 

Best case scenario would be selling the club to someone either willing to invest in areas that don’t impact financial fair play therefore ‘freeing’ up money for football or one with some genuine commercial gumption rather than the current team at the helm.  Preferably both. 

If you do go Danny, you go with my best wishes. You gave the club what they needed, we fans have had a genuine hero for a bit. You deserve a shot at achievement that you won’t get here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

You jest, but you have to wonder whether Chelsea will look seriously at Ralph partly because of the Werner angle. Who better to improve their misfiring striker than the manager that developed and made his reputation?

If I was a Chelsea fan i'd be licking my lips at the thought of Werner & Ings up top together in Ralph's high press.

3 minutes ago, gsweet87 said:

If I was a Chelsea fan i'd be licking my lips at the thought of Werner & Ings up top together in Ralph's high press.

Yeah right, meanwhile for some of our fans, their biggest fear is only that Ings will join Tottenham...

Edited by Saint86

3 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It would be nice to think that fans wouldn’t fall for the player letting us down bullshit this time. The ‘good’ offer highlighted by Adam Blackmore suggests we haven’t offered a great deal and Hassenhutl’s chat about not relying on Danny Ings shows you the internal reality. He’s likely to go because his value is not appreciated or affordable to the bean counters.

We are in a financial hole, the commercial department is at best average so money isn’t going to be flooding in to help fund player wages so we need to sell the key assets, which are players. It’s naive to think otherwise. 

Best case scenario would be selling the club to someone either willing to invest in areas that don’t impact financial fair play therefore ‘freeing’ up money for football or one with some genuine commercial gumption rather than the current team at the helm.  Preferably both. 

If you do go Danny, you go with my best wishes. You gave the club what they needed, we fans have had a genuine hero for a bit. You deserve a shot at achievement that you won’t get here. 

Whether we want to sell him or not, it’s undoubtedly in our interests for him to sign a new contract first, so with that in mind we must have offered him a pretty decent deal. With regards to the second BIB, he had a shot with Liverpool but he was perennially injured or kept out of the team by superior players. He’ll get whatever offer is in the table, be it at Saints or otherwise but he isn’t entitled to anything.

13 hours ago, saint lard said:

Make the most of the remainder of this enjoyable season. 
Because as from next season it’s going to be pretty dire. 
Ings will go,Ralph will go....as will JWP and any other saleable asset. 
brace yourself for the inevitable relegation scrap....and eventually it will happen. 
we will be bought by charlatans along the way. 

U OK hun? x 

• Haha 2

Ultimately we rejected Ings when he was young and didn't think he was good enough so loyalty is a 2 way street.

Personally, I'd prefer this to be resolved sooner rather than later than for it to be dragged out over the rest of this season (affecting his form too perhaps)- clearly if he won't sign due to disagreeing with the release clause then we have two options: 

1) Keep him until 2022 and let him go on a free

2) Plan to sell this summer for £20m-£30m; perhaps start drumming up interest now for our targets too because it would be shocking if we haven't scouted people out by now. If Spurs are unsettling Ings then we need to start unsettling our targets too- let's not be the nice club for once.

• Like 1

I'm sure the club would like to keep him but the effects of the lockdowns etc have made it more likely that we will have reached the edge of our offer but in my view it isnt as simple as if a better offer comes in then he will go.

The worst case for us is if an offer doesn't happen and he doesn't sign a new contract. I'd like to think that he wouldn't do that but I guess he wants to maximise his income an opportunities for the remainder of his career. 

When you hear him speak he is clearly an intelligent man so I am sure that he will see the benefits that playing under Ralph has brought to his game and reputation, after all he was seen as a pretty big risk when he first came and didn't really to get going until he scored in the Portsmouth game. I'm sure he will understand the Ralph effect and it will be a factor in any decision he makes.

It would help with our case if we finish top 6 or win the cup (both are possible) but if he goes then I'd be reasonably confident that Ralph can coach an incoming player to a high level. He's done it before after all. It might be that Danny has benefitted more from the coaching than he thinks?

My take on it is:

he is happy at saints and would sign a new deal, however wants to know if a champions league team showed and interest, and the release fee is that way. He isn’t saying he wants to leave now for champions league but if there was interest in the future he would least like to have the option

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

My take on it is:

he is happy at saints and would sign a new deal, however wants to know if a champions league team showed and interest, and the release fee is that way. He isn’t saying he wants to leave now for champions league but if there was interest in the future he would least like to have the option

The unfortunate bottom line is that if a CL club comes knocking for any of our players at any point and we say no, the player can do a VVD, act like a total c*nt and force the club's hand to minimise its losses. 

16 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

My take on it is:

If the release fee is so low it's akin to him saying he doesn't want to sign a new contract.

20 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

My take on it is:

That doesn't really make sense. If he doesn't sign a new contract with Saints then any club can sign him for free in summer 2022. That makes a move to a CL club more likely than signing a new deal with a release clause.

## trousers thinking out loud klaxon ##

One would have thought Saints are aiming for a release clause figure that is commensurate with the value of a Champions League quality striker. If Ings's camp is aiming for a release figure that is significantly lower than that, then their stance is inherently contradictory, is it not? You either consider yourself to be champions League level or you don't. In other words, you can't in one breath declare yourself to be CL level whilst in another breath valuing yourself below that level, without appearing hypocritical, can you? 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

A Telegraph article this morning suggests that money is not the issue - rather it is that he wants to play for a chamions league team.

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

## trousers thinking out loud klaxon ##

One would have thought Saints are aiming for a release clause figure that is consummate with the value of a Champions League quality striker. If Ings's camp is aiming for a release figure that is significantly lower than that, then their stance is inherently contradictory, is it not? You either consider yourself to be champions League level or you don't. In other words, you can't in one breath declare yourself to be CL level whilst in another breath valuing yourself below that level, without appearing hypocritical, can you? 

Exactly, which is why I think they have little interest in signing a new contract unless it becomes his easiest route to leaving this summer, ie. We cave and accept the derisory release clause!

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

That report from the Athletic is just made up nonsense, they have no idea!

No it’s not, It’s incredibly accurate. Look at my post from this time yesterday (before this news broke) and it’s effectively word for word. That’s not a coincidence. 

i am a bit surprised this story has broke though and what looks to be saints side. I’m guessing that we’re resigned to him leaving in the summer, without signing the deal we desire, and are trying to drum up interest. 

2 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Not too far fetched. It Doesn’t say this in the article, but United are sniffing around. 

Personally, I think he’ll end up at Tottenham. I think it’ll hinge on what game time he’d get (this is not based on anything I’ve been told other than their interest many months back. I think they were the first who started sniffing about). 

8 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

What if they don’t qualify..? None are guaranteed at the moment

Because in reality it is probably not the biggest consideration as we have seen before. It's the party line but in reality it's most likely money, as usual, which is fine. It would be nice if players just admitted it sometimes though.

52 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

My take on it is:

This is not too far off although if a top team did come in, he will be off (I don’t think he’d go to Everton or Leicester, only your traditional big boys).

He is happy, we’ve offered, for our standards a very lucrative offer. However, he knows he’s currently at the peak of his career and doesn’t have many years left at the top. An opportunity to end your career with trophies and playing for one of the biggest clubs in England is a huge pull and you can’t really begrudge him that. 

the release clause is something to prevent him being priced out of a move. His agent knows that they hold all of the cards and have us over a barrel as we won’t want to lose him for nothing which is why he’s pushing for it to be so low. (Doing right by his client, which is far enough). 

I truly believe that if it was Danny doing the negotiations the deal would be signed with a clause somewhere between what they want and what we want, which is fair and represents his value to us and doesn’t price out a move. 

He’s not been in the best form this season (if that’s down to a big move in the back of his mind or not I don’t know), and if he doesn’t go this summer he potentially may miss the boat, as he’ll be pushing 30 come summer 22. It’s a big risk playing this game as we are within our right to play hardball and reject everything under his true value (id say £30m at this stage).

Personally speaking, if I was in charge I’d be weighing up his goals / value staying in the prem vs £20m and be looking at taking a hit on the transfer fee but keeping the player and likely staying in the PL as a result for the next 2 seasons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GGalpin said:

I truly believe this decision is down to wanting to play at the highest level and because of that can't blame him at all for wanting to do so, especially when he knows he realistically has only a few years left to achieve that.

Players want CL money more than CL football IMO. If we paid him say £350k a week, for the sake of argument, and United came in offering him CL football but on £150k a week do you think he'd leave?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

we appear to have offered him the biggest contract in our history. Not sure we can do much more than that. we want to keep him, no doubt about it, but there is only so far we can go. We just can't compete with the big boys who pay the likes of Lingard £150k a week, and proper players many times more.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

If the release fee is so low it's akin to him saying he doesn't want to sign a new contract.

Exactly. Ings with a 5 year deal and no release clause would be worth £50million or more. Asking for a release clause less than £20million, less than what we paid for him, is just saying we want to leave this summer one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

My take on it is:

That to me sounds like he wants his cake and wants to eat it.

He wants the safe comfy option of a long contract here as one of our highest earners PLUS the ability to just jump relatively easily to champions league club.

Whereas yes he could leave for free in the summer of 2022, but who knows could have had a big loss of form or a long term injury and is then struggling around to find a good contract for a 30 year old with a history of injuries. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

That to me sounds like he wants his cake and wants to eat it.

He wants the safe comfy option of a long contract here as one of our highest earners PLUS the ability to just jump relatively easily to champions league club.

Whereas yes he could leave for free in the summer of 2022, but who knows could have had a big loss of form or a long term injury and is then struggling around to find a good contract for a 30 year old with a history of injuries. 

Agreed, he may not want to run down his contract for those reasons hence possibly signing but trying for a release clause.  He obviously didn't speak to Lallana or Van Dijk about how to get out of new contract when you want to leave saints. No release needed

I’m a Saints fan through and through, but if he was my son and I was advising him,I’d tell him to go for it if one of the big 6 came in. He’s unfinished business at that level and I wouldn’t want him retiring wondering “what if”.

The number posts I’ve read slating VvD & Lallana for the way they left, I presume if he gets his head down and leaves in the proper manner, there will be no hatred. 

If he leaves early, so be it. We’ve certainly got more out of him than most people thought we would. 

The only loyal people in football are the supporters, and players nobody wants to buy. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

I feel that Leicester might be the next destination for Danny, 'if' they qualify for the Champions League and have some extra money to spend. 

Vardy is 34 now, and his back up not good enough for the Premier League, let alone the Champions League. They will certainly be on the look out for a striker this window or next.

27 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I feel that Leicester might be the next destination for Danny, 'if' they qualify for the Champions League and have some extra money to spend. 

Vardy is 34 now, and his back up not good enough for the Premier League, let alone the Champions League. They will certainly be on the look out for a striker this window or next.

Atletico Madrid want lacazette and guess who they want for replacement?..Yep you guessed it ..hope we got 40m minimum 

I’m all for people with ambition and wanting to better yourself etc...I just can’t help feeling a bit disappointed with the situation. He was going nowhere really (or seen as a big risk) until we gave him the chance. He comes in, we look after him and keep his body in good nick, then he starts scoring for a season and now he wants to leave. 
I am fully aware that they have no need to show loyalty and it’s a job etc...but it still feels like a kick in the nads having got his career back on track. 

46 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I’m all for people with ambition and wanting to better yourself etc...I just can’t help feeling a bit disappointed with the situation. He was going nowhere really (or seen as a big risk) until we gave him the chance. He comes in, we look after him and keep his body in good nick, then he starts scoring for a season and now he wants to leave. 
I am fully aware that they have no need to show loyalty and it’s a job etc...but it still feels like a kick in the nads having got his career back on track. 

I could be wrong, but I hope it's simply his age dictating it and that if he was 25/26 and he had joined us in the same circumstances he wouldn't be in such a rush. But he will turn 29 in the next transfer window and he will be all too conscious that his window to perform to his standards at a big club is narrowing.

3 hours ago, SKD said:

the release clause is something to prevent him being priced out of a move

If the release fee is commensurate with the market value of a prolific Champions League level striker, then agreeing upon a reasonable fee wouldn't 'price him out of a move', surely? Indeed, quite the opposite?

Edited by trousers

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The list of players we've lost who are better than Ings is pretty tiny.

Who would be on your list then?...................Alan Shearer, Kevin Keegan, Wayne Bridge, Tim Flowers,.... there are more who would you say?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings