LGBT+ History Month

Turkish

On 27/02/2021 at 23:56, Matthew Le God said:

Homophobia largely comes from religious intolerance... discuss

Here We Go Again GIF

Surely it’s evolutionary given the need for one biological man and one biological woman being needed to reproduce and keep the great ape reproducing?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Surely it’s evolutionary given the need for one biological man and one biological woman being needed to reproduce and keep the great ape reproducing?

Homosexuality seems to be a Darwinian puzzle.  You'd think it would die out due to the lack of reproduction but it doesn't.  

1 hour ago, ChrisPY said:

Mainly it comes from the tyrannical dictators of days gone by needing growing populations to work, tax and fight in their armies.

Actually it’s amazing just how convenient most religions were to the rulers of their time. How many mistresses you may take, how many slaves, how you must treat them, which races are superior to which other ones etc. Oh and if you’re lucky enough to die fighting for the cause, you get blessed with eternal happiness in the afterlife.

More great news. Hot on the heels of the success of the interracial couple emoji campaign Tinder allows users to choose up to 3 sexual preferences on their profiles! What better way to find a date than to keep your options open. There really hasn't ever been a better time for an asexual, gender fluid vegan to find a  relationship with a demisexual muslim  👏👏👏

Tinder: Dating app now allows users to choose up to three sexual orientations | The Independent

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

More great news. Hot on the heels of the success of the interracial couple emoji campaign Tinder allows users to choose up to 3 sexual preferences on their profiles! What better way to find a date than to keep your options open. There really hasn't ever been a better time for an asexual, gender fluid vegan to find a  relationship with a demisexual muslim  👏👏👏

Tinder: Dating app now allows users to choose up to three sexual orientations | The Independent

About bloody time too.

On 20/02/2021 at 08:43, Weston Super Saint said:

I feel I must throw myself upon the apology altar as it appears that I have also missed out the 'I' community.

Hopefully these flags will make up for my temporary lapse.

spacer.png

Reeboted Pride

spacer.png

Trans Pride

spacer.png

Intersex Pride

spacer.png

Bisexual Pride

spacer.png

Pansexual pride

spacer.png

Nonbinary Pride

spacer.png

Asexual Pride

spacer.png

Genderfluid Pride

spacer.png

Agender Pride

spacer.png

Genderqueer Pride

spacer.png

Lesbian Pride

spacer.png

Original Pride

Is that any more strange than groups of people around the world separating themselves off with lines on a map and coming up with a pretty flag to define themselves by, or people from certain towns wearing certain colours and kicking a pigs bladder around into nets? 

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

A thought popped into my head seeing that Drag Race trending on Twitter and I genuinely don’t know where I stand on it - Are drag queens just doing blackface with gender?

Interesting point. Could I black up if I said I identified as a black man? 

On 20/02/2021 at 08:27, Weston Super Saint said:

You've missed out the Q's.

There's enough hatred and prejudice in the world without you ostracising the entire Q community!

What does the Q stand for?

On 21/02/2021 at 09:44, Plastic said:

I just read this article, not sure why. 
It’s about a trans dad getting pregnant and having a baby. Anyway, the overriding impression I get is of mental illness and self importance, not a strong coherent identity.

I also don’t understand how pronouns can upset people so much, but then I am over 40 now, so I guess I must have hit a generational gap.

Tbh I found the whole thing pretty hard to comprehend, like reading a modernist novel. Happy Sunday!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/20/as-a-trans-dad-my-mental-health-deteriorated-after-my-child-was-born-14108300/

Pretty sure the stats show that depression, self harm and suicide rates actually increase after transitioning.

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

A thought popped into my head seeing that Drag Race trending on Twitter and I genuinely don’t know where I stand on it - Are drag queens just doing blackface with gender?

Didn't mean to quote this again and can't delete it on mobile 😂

Maybe they (the undecideds) will call themselve something like this:

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11481686/prince-name-change-symbol-why

For posters who can't be bothered checking links it is an unpronouncable symbol that gender-bender Prince used for a while.  Prince was a great musician who could actually play instruments, write songs and perform but he was always effeminate. That's also why Michael Jackson could never have been a kiddy-fiddller after he took the knife to his face to look like Diana Ross. I reckon, judging by that effeminate voice, he may have been a eunuch. His lawyer should have told him to strip in front of the jury; case closed.

I'm half joking.

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Q = queer or questioning.

There are a growing number of people transitioning back, they found that transitioning didn't solve their problems.

Its a bit like plastic surgery. Some people have a clear and settled physical issue which can be fixed by surgery. For others its more a psychological issue where when they look in the mirror they are never happy, no matter how many times their nose is sculpted or their face lifted.  

Edited by buctootim

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Very good point, women have had years of oppression and inequality, why should men be allowed to dress up as them? It's not even like they're embracing the natural female form, it's generally vulgarity covered in make up and vile clothing.  Where do we stand on trannies? Surely men dressing as women to make themselves feel better is disgraceful, dressing as a woman to satisfy male urges is degrading. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Q = queer or questioning.

There are a growing number of people transitioning back, they found that transitioning didn't solve their problems.

I would have thought that people who are unhappy with their bodies would be better off treated from a psychological perspective than a surgical one.  "Gender dysphoria" is all rather un-evidenced if you ask me.  Dress how you want but I'd like to see more evidence that people are born in the wrong body before I'm happy with the NHS chopping bits off simply because the patient asks for it.  Of course if people want to pay for surgery themselves, that's their business.  

6 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I would have thought that people who are unhappy with their bodies would be better off treated from a psychological perspective than a surgical one.  "Gender dysphoria" is all rather un-evidenced if you ask me.  Dress how you want but I'd like to see more evidence that people are born in the wrong body before I'm happy with the NHS chopping bits off simply because the patient asks for it.  Of course if people want to pay for surgery themselves, that's their business.  

A friend of our's child is going through something and it was quite frightening how you suddenly get pulled through a system that is very pro it. Added to that they are on forums that warp your mind (a bit like this one) and then a friendship group that reinforces it further. My friends had to really fight to slow things down, they were seen as rejecting their daughter and imposing their views. When all the wanted was for it all to slow down and their daughter to really be sure. They went ballistic at the school when the school began to call her by her new chosen name with out consultation and again were treated as the outsider in the whole situation. Thankfully they got their daughter into the CAMHs service and that has helped, but the reality is that something is going on with her, she is very unhappy and has been for a long time, but as you say there has to be an examination of what that problem is first before you get whipped along a route that could be devastating.

I do feel for people who have these issues.  I wonder if they'd be better treated with compassion and understanding than attempting a surgical "fix".  The NHS seems to bow down to public pressure very easily.  

edit - It doesn't help that it's very difficult to express views like these publicly without getting shouted down.  I'd really like to see more open debate.   

Edited by Manuel

5 hours ago, Manuel said:

I do feel for people who have these issues.  I wonder if they'd be better treated with compassion and understanding than attempting a surgical "fix".  The NHS seems to bow down to public pressure very easily.  

edit - It doesn't help that it's very difficult to express views like these publicly without getting shouted down.  I'd really like to see more open debate.   

I do wonder if there's an element of being so terrified of offending people that we (as a society) just go with what seems agreeable and not necessarily the best solution for those involved. I'm not sure the phrase 'LGBT' is necessarily accurate; I think the 'T' is a separate issue, which should be treated differently. I can't see why a form of body dysmorphic disorder should be lumped in with being gay or lesbian, seems like rather a lazy association to make.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I do wonder if there's an element of being so terrified of offending people that we (as a society) just go with what seems agreeable and not necessarily the best solution for those involved. I'm not sure the phrase 'LGBT' is necessarily accurate; I think the 'T' is a separate issue, which should be treated differently. I can't see why a form of body dysmorphic disorder should be lumped in with being gay or lesbian, seems like rather a lazy association to make.

Yep, LGB are sexual orientations. The T is completely different. As for Q, I have no idea what that is meant to be 

My child has written a poem for you all about his struggle being a boy in a woke world 

why was I born a boy daddy? Am I Not free to chose?

i want to wear jeans, get muddy in fields, through viz magazines peruse

why was I born a boy daddy? all my friends are fluid and free

One day in trousers, the next in tiara, For them life seems so easy

why was I born a boy daddy? I’ve got quite a crush on  vashty

She likes me too, or so I thought, until she turned up Today as a he

Why was I born a boy daddy? I thought at this age I’m meant to thrive 

But every day all I have to do is apologize for being male, straight and alive 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

My child has written a poem for you all about his struggle being a boy in a woke world 

why was I born a boy daddy? Am I Not free to chose?

i want to wear jeans, get muddy in fields, through viz magazines peruse

why was I born a boy daddy? all my friends are fluid and free

One day in trousers, the next in tiara, For them life seems so easy

why was I born a boy daddy? I’ve got quite a crush on  vashty

She likes me too, or so I thought, until she turned up Today as a he

Why was I born a boy daddy? I thought at this age I’m meant to thrive 

But every day all I have to do is apologize for being male, straight and alive 

What the fuck is that! :lol:

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why are you laughing at the emotions and struggle of young children?

I was laughing at your tragic obsession with woke.

You do know that woke just means to be alert to injustice in society, especially racism yeah? It is essentially a good thing, nothing to make your poor boy apologise for.

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I was laughing at your tragic obsession with woke.

You do know that woke just means to be alert to injustice in society, especially racism yeah? It is essentially a good thing, nothing to make your poor boy apologise for.

That’s good then because I point and laugh at your tragic stupidity, daily. 

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Of course you do!

”But every day all I have to do is apologize for being male, straight and alive “ :lol:

You actually posted that. Brilliant.

Christopher Reeve Meme GIF

yet again you prove my point. Thick as fuck

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Fucking hilarious, you should think about a career in stand up. 

Any more poems for us? :lol:

There once was a pansexual called aintforver

his posts on saints web show he’s not very clever

He likes to appear woke

never gets the joke

Everyone laughs at him forever 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

There once was a pansexual called aintforver

his posts on saints web show he’s not very clever

He likes to appear woke

never gets the joke

Everyone laughs at him forever 

Brilliant, :lol:

Not as good as: ”But every day all I have to do is apologize for being male, straight and alive “ tho

Edited by aintforever

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Brilliant, :lol:

Not as good as: ”But every day all I have to do is apologize for being male, straight and alive “ tho

You are definitely one of my favorite posters, I could script how you would respond on this thread, even down to where your silly little laughing emojis would appear, it’s so cute.

"Egmont, the publisher of Mr Men and Little Miss books, declined to comment."   Speaks volumes.  

A pretty pointless study.  The books are from the 70's and 80's written by a man who was born in 1935.  Surely the point of studying history is because it is different from today.  Things were different last century than they are this century.  What a revelation!  

I do worry about universities sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Manuel said:

"Egmont, the publisher of Mr Men and Little Miss books, declined to comment."   Speaks volumes.  

A pretty pointless study.  The books are from the 70's and 80's written by a man who was born in 1935.  Surely the point of studying history is because it is different from today.  Things were different last century than they are this century.  What a revelation!  

I do worry about universities sometimes. 

Universities are fucked. Especially in USA. Just crusading against history. Although students do tend to grow up

It's also got 2 arms and 2 legs which is offensive to people of limited ability and the bipedally challenged.

Although I am pleased to note that it's feet appear to be inclusive.

Edited by Plastic

On 22/03/2021 at 11:45, Turkish said:

Perry doesn't seem to be a very good mascot. A male bull, who is white wearing white clothing. How does this reflect our diverse, inclusive country? Racism, sexism and lack of diversity alive and well. How depressing.

Birmingham Commonwealth Games mascot announced as Perry the Bull - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

7 hours ago, Plastic said:

Disgraceful. Who would paint over such a beautiful mural?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-56555337

an underpass near me seems to get redecorated every week. Looking at the photos on that link it seems to be right in the middle of an 'urban' area so would be prime graffiti real estate. The new artwork on that underpass isn't anything against trans so bit of a non story.

2 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Later this summer I shall have to make a speech at our annual Village Event. Such a speech would usually begin with ‘Ladies and Gentlemen’ - but given current social trends such an opening line would never do.

Your suggestions, please, for an alternative start.

"Persons of all gender identities, and none, welcome......" ?

3 hours ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Later this summer I shall have to make a speech at our annual Village Event. Such a speech would usually begin with ‘Ladies and Gentlemen’ - but given current social trends such an opening line would never do.

Your suggestions, please, for an alternative start.

Ladies, Gentlemen and those that just don't know...