Jump to content

Leeds 3-0 Saints - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

I do like Eddie Howe, and if the situation was different ie: trying to get promoted I’d happily welcome him on board, however his Bournemouth side was assembled at great cost, with some very expensive signings and players on ridiculous wages and they still went down. He won’t get that sort of financial backing here.

Didnt they get in trouble for breaching FFP under him too?

Similarly to us, they spent their money very poorly. Eddie Howe did a good job there, you've only got to look at how disjointed they are this season. Yes they might be sixth but according to their fans they are very lucky to still be in a half decent position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OldNick said:

I will give you some slack as you seem to be of old age but if you have been following Saints ( although are you not an Arsenal fan?)a long time you should know the folly of changing managers on our budget. Chris 'watching paint dry' Hughton FFS I despair

What an ageist, arrogant remark to make to any poster. You have no idea who I am or what my age is. In any case what the hell does age have to do with ones's views and comments? Try coming down off your high horse and face reality, as many have said before play the ball not the man!

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I do like Eddie Howe, and if the situation was different ie: trying to get promoted I’d happily welcome him on board, however his Bournemouth side was assembled at great cost, with some very expensive signings and players on ridiculous wages and they still went down. He won’t get that sort of financial backing here.

Didnt they get in trouble for breaching FFP under him too?

Which might suit him, part of the reason for their decline is supposedly his inability to handle some of the egos of big signings. That said I don’t see him as anything better than Ralph. Ralph ain’t going anywhere anyway, he’s got the full support of the board and we can’t afford to sack him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Turkish said:

Which might suit him, part of the reason for their decline is supposedly his inability to handle some of the egos of big signings. That said I don’t see him as anything better than Ralph. Ralph ain’t going anywhere anyway, he’s got the full support of the board and we can’t afford to sack him.

If we lose the next 3, I think Eddie will be getting a call. I don't think he's any better, quite the opposite in fact, but no points before Brighton and I think he's in trouble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, egg said:

If we lose the next 3, I think Eddie will be getting a call. I don't think he's any better, quite the opposite in fact, but no points before Brighton and I think he's in trouble. 

First game an FA Cup quarter final at Dean Court?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turkish said:

First game an FA Cup quarter final at Dean Court?

Blimey!! That would be weird. Especially if Tindall is back with him. Hopefully it won't come to that though - get something from Everton, beat Sheffield United, don't get disgraced against City, and it'll look very different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I thought that he first blew the whistle when the ball was about half way to Che and then blew it again just before he put it in the net to bring back play?

Yes, he appeared to blow it twice. My point is that when you actually hear the first whistle it must have been blown a fraction of a second before that, depending on how far away the microphone is. In other words, a microphone a hundred yards away will give you the sound one third of a second after it happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, egg said:

Blimey!! That would be weird. Especially if Tindall is back with him. Hopefully it won't come to that though - get something from Everton, beat Sheffield United, don't get disgraced against City, and it'll look very different. 

Watching city tonight.. we will do well to keep it down to 4 or 5 ........... in the 1st half !

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, egg said:

Blimey!! That would be weird. Especially if Tindall is back with him. Hopefully it won't come to that though - get something from Everton, beat Sheffield United, don't get disgraced against City, and it'll look very different. 

Do you think Howe is the right fit? Seems like another nice guy, we’ve plenty of those on the pitch. We need an inspirational figure, a proper leader, Ralph has been that guy in the past but something isn’t right now. It’s not like no one is trying or the players have downed tools, or even they aren’t good enough. The trouble is I can’t think of any better that would come here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes, he appeared to blow it twice. My point is that when you actually hear the first whistle it must have been blown a fraction of a second before that, depending on how far away the microphone is. In other words, a microphone a hundred yards away will give you the sound one third of a second after it happened.

The microphone will have been less than half the width of the pitch distance away. Nowhere near enough distance for it to be a discernable difference. The free kick was clearly taken before the whistle was blown, unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

The microphone will have been less than half the width of the pitch distance away. Nowhere near enough distance for it to be a discernable difference. The free kick was clearly taken before the whistle was blown, unfortunately. 

I agree with you but it was even tighter than it seemed. It was shit refereeing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

The microphone will have been less than half the width of the pitch distance away. Nowhere near enough distance for it to be a discernable difference. The free kick was clearly taken before the whistle was blown, unfortunately. 

It wasn't clear. A fraction of a second and the whistle was certainly in his lips as the kick was taken. The point is, it was so close he could have let it go and would have done in any other circumstances.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do you think Howe is the right fit? Seems like another nice guy, we’ve plenty of those on the pitch. We need an inspirational figure, a proper leader, Ralph has been that guy in the past but something isn’t right now. It’s not like no one is trying or the players have downed tools, or even they aren’t good enough. The trouble is I can’t think of any better that would come here.

I'm not convinced, but I like the way his teams play, and the Howe / Tindall duo is a good one. He's also available and the players may just need a different approach to give them a lift. I agree that something isn't right at the moment, and if we don't get a turnaround soon, change will be hard to argue against. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

It wasn't clear. A fraction of a second and the whistle was certainly in his lips as the kick was taken. The point is, it was so close he could have let it go and would have done in any other circumstances.

It's irrelevant. The goal was ruled out. Move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 23:26, Micky said:

To be fair,  'our early assault' was really nothing more than having possession 30 yards from their goal.  We hardly fashioned a shot on target, did their keeper make a save?  Nah,  don't think we assaulted naff all tonight. 

Look i was trying to find some small bit of comfort, sadly you are right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Look i was trying to find some small bit of comfort, sadly you are right.

We should have been 2-0 up after eight minutes. Vestergaard missed a simple header and Tella should have passed to Adams who was in a better shooting position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

We should have been 2-0 up after eight minutes. Vestergaard missed a simple header and Tella should have passed to Adams who was in a better shooting position.

Life is full of What - Ifs, Should - have's and If - only's!

So how come according to many fans, Saints encounter more than their fair share of these judgements?

Blame bad luck, blame the officials, blame injuries, blame VAR, blame the weather....  

It is none of these, it is simply poor football and if the people who are charged with putting things right cannot change their thinking and methods then isn't there a certain inevitability about the likely outcomes?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Life is full of What - Ifs, Should - have's and If - only's!

So how come according to many fans, Saints encounter more than their fair share of these judgements?

Blame bad luck, blame the officials, blame injuries, blame VAR, blame the weather....  

It is none of these, it is simply poor football and if the people who are charged with putting things right cannot change their thinking and methods then isn't there a certain inevitability about the likely outcomes?

There have been quite a few instances of very fine margins recently that have cost us points. Offisdes by a few centimetres, debateable penalty decisions, a free kick take a fraction of a second before the whistle. 

These factors are all within the control of the players.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})