Jump to content

Summer Transfer Window 2021


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I'm really unimpressed by Ralph's comments that we are only after a single further transfer to replace Vestergaard.

I don't really believe him. We'll still have a domestic loan slot free. I imagine we view replacing Vestergaard as a "definite" transfer we'll make; then we'll keep a keen eye on the market right up until the end of the window and see what potential deals shake out as teams finalise their squads.

For me, a CB and LB are required, and probably a CM (although S. Armstrong is potentially that's 4th number 6 option). Doesn't sound like we've got any interest in keepers this window.

Mentioned it before - and I think others have too - but England u21 LB Lee Buchanan should be available from cash-strapped Derby for a drop in the ocean, still leaving plenty in the kitty for that CB replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I don't really believe him. We'll still have a domestic loan slot free. I imagine we view replacing Vestergaard as a "definite" transfer we'll make; then we'll keep a keen eye on the market right up until the end of the window and see what potential deals shake out as teams finalise their squads.

 

I agree - still think we will replace Vestergaard, hopefully within a week or so and then towards the end of the window we will make a move or two.

Minamino for example out of nowhere. Walcott this time last year.

Just sensible right now to keep expectations managed.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tunit said:

I dont know why we aren't going all out for Thomas Delaney. He has bags of experience which is what we're lacking right now. Pretty sure he played DM and CB last season for Dortmund. Seems a no brainer for me

 

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

i am with you, but for better or worse, the club are going to target players they think they can sell for more money 3 to 4 years from now. Delaney is not that.

on a pure football level, i think he is exactly what we need NOW and could shore up our defensive midfield.

and then we still need :

a £8m LCB, minimally,  but think we should be more ambitious and get a £20m RCB

Delaney for me too, and I don't think the signing of his experience necessarily compromises the clubs policy of nurturing talent to sell. The three or four younger players will in my view develop better with an old head guiding them. 

Steve Williams acknowledged he wouldn't have developed so well without Alan Ball's influence on the pitch and in training, and if you go back to our exciting young team under Chris Nicholl involving the Wallaces, MLT, Dodd, and Shearer they had Jimmy Case pulling the strings. The alternative is to throw the youngsters in, and watch them wilt due to panic and self-doubt.

False economy not to see the advantage of a couple of players who will develop those around them to fulfill their potential.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Badger said:

 

Delaney for me too, and I don't think the signing of his experience necessarily compromises the clubs policy of nurturing talent to sell. The three or four younger players will in my view develop better with an old head guiding them. 

Steve Williams acknowledged he wouldn't have developed so well without Alan Ball's influence on the pitch and in training, and if you go back to our exciting young team under Chris Nicholl involving the Wallaces, MLT, Dodd, and Shearer they had Jimmy Case pulling the strings. The alternative is to throw the youngsters in, and watch them wilt due to panic and self-doubt.

False economy not to see the advantage of a couple of players who will develop those around them to fulfill their potential.

Romeu, Walcott and JWP have plenty of experience between them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Romeu, Walcott and JWP have plenty of experience between them.

Do you see them as 'leaders' on the pitch ? Walcott and JWP tend to disappear at times you seldom saw that happen to Ball or Case. Romeu to some extent perhaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

The rumour is that Spurs are asking for JWP and are willing to include Dier and or Winks in the deal.

Well someone should tell Levy to kindly fuck off. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

The rumour is that Spurs are asking for JWP and are willing to include Dier and or Winks in the deal.

Random Spurs fans spouting rumours isn't particularly credible as a source. Especially as PL rules don't allow for swap seals and both those players being not particularly great.

Edited by Matthew Le God
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dello said:

Surely Burnley would accept 15-20M for Tarkowski- like us with Vesty, I can’t see it being palatable for them to let him go for free next year..

very good point about not being palatable to allow him to leave for nought.  I suspect they are asking a little more than we were as he has been top draw for them for a while now, however it depends what someone is willing to offer. Sadly, I don't think he would leave them for us, otherwise that would be a very nice replacement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

so much for the holding midfield player who can play cantre half then......unless that will be the Vestergaard replacement rather than a specialist defender

We are trying to find a ball winning, ball playing fast centre back...on a limited transfer budget and having fallen from grace somewhat in terms of challenge for a European spot. To want whoever we sign to also be able to play in midfield might be a asking a lot of our scouting system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

If JWP is sold, it will be like selling the soul of the club.

it would be one thing if he was making a stink to go, ie : Lallana, but he isn't.

Soul of the club my arse.  Not one single player has ever been bigger than the club (and that goes for any club not just Saints).  Players join, players leave, fans remain.  Not that it makes much difference but you do realise you're calling someone who was at least at one point a pompey fan the "soul of the club"?

Edited by revolution saint
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Get David Luiz in, will cost us nothing and can be a very good holding midfielder and back up cb

I'm never quite sure if suggestions like this are a joke? So apologies if its just gone over my head...
But can you imagine the wages he would have been on at Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal, and he would command even more now he's on a Bosman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chez said:

Who you thinking from Bournemouth, Brooks, Mepham or maybe Kelly (notice he has moved inside from left back to centre back)?

Danjuma (linked with Liverpool), Brooks, Lerma, Kelly, Stacey as as a versatile full back option... they still have an abundance of Premier League quality there just surrounded by other sub-standard quality! 

 

Fulham have Robinson,  Mitrovic (not everyone's cup of tea but I like him), Adarobioyo, Anguissa and a certain young determined midfielder called Reed!

 

Then there are others like Fry, Berge, Diangana...

 

All would improve our squad, if not our first team IMO.

 

Priorities now though in order... CB, CM, GK, AM, LB. Though I think we may only see the first one realised this window.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Signing players that can be sold for a profit in three years is fine provided we stay up. Signing players that will improve our league position might actually bring in more money through prize money for a higher league position.

plus we have signed quite a few in recent times that meet that `for profit' criteria. Maybe we can do both?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I'm never quite sure if suggestions like this are a joke? So apologies if its just gone over my head...
But can you imagine the wages he would have been on at Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal, and he would command even more now he's on a Bosman.

Not a joke. Believe me I know its not our kind of signing. But for a stop gap till the summer when we will have more to spend. Dont think his wages would be that bad as he's currently without a club. Other than that what about kabak. Thought he did well at Liverpool last season.

Think some people need a reality check of what players we can attract these days. We have to be smart in the transfer market now and stop wasting money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Think some people need a reality check of what players we can attract these days. We have to be smart in the transfer market now and stop wasting money.

So you want us to "stop wasting money" be "smart in the transfer market" and suggest we do that by signing a billy big bollocks has been who'll want massive wages. Blimey. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

1 position to go (FFS).

 

Sorry what? More quality and numbers? By my reckoning, from the first team squad that finished last season -

We've added

Perraud, Livramento, Armstrong and Broja. Plus we have Elyounnoussi, Valery and Long all back from loans. (7 in total). Not counting Walcott as he was here already.

We've lost 

Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ings, N'Lundulu (loan)(4 in total). Not counting Vokins as he wasnt here at the end of last season. Theres also the deadwood who were never going to feature. Some would say they shouldnt count but its still trimming the squad. Lemina, Hoedt and Gunn takes the total to 7 out.

So provided we replace Vestergaard and if Obafemi leaves, it will be 8 in and 8 out. If we omit the deadwood who wouldnt have featured, then we've gained 3 players - but this is the returning loanees from last season. Hardly an uptick in quality if they were deemed surplus last season.

Sorry Ralph but you're having us on here. We're also sitting about £21m in the green (approx £51m sales against £30m purchases) before any Vestergaard replacement. I doubt that we'll spend £20m on a new CB and whatever change will be swept away. While im happy with the business we've done this summer (good signings and maximising sales/clearing deadwood), I dont share Ralphs view that we have more quality

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are a couple of posters really turning  their noses up at Eric Dier. Dear god, where have they been the past 4 seasons. 
 

He’s exactly what we need. There’s a reason Jose liked him, and it wasn’t his ball playing skills or vision. He heads the thing, kicks it, gets stuck in, and is a man. Someone you’d want in the trenches beside you, as opposed to the son-in-laws we’ve got “fighting” for the club at the moment. Hell, he might even push back and challenge some of Ralph’s tactical ineptitude. 
 

Won’t happen, but fuck me, he’d be captain with 6 weeks. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

 

I've been very positive this window but we have £30m in the bank right now and if all we sign is Nat Phillips, a truly mediocre at best CB who wouldn't look out of place in the championship, I'll be pretty annoyed. Would be a bollocks signing tbh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Are a couple of posters really turning  their noses up at Eric Dier. Dear god, where have they been the past 4 seasons. 
 

He’s exactly what we need. There’s a reason Jose liked him, and it wasn’t his ball playing skills or vision. He heads the thing, kicks it, gets stuck in, and is a man. Someone you’d want in the trenches beside you, as opposed to the son-in-laws we’ve got “fighting” for the club at the moment. Hell, he might even push back and challenge some of Ralph’s tactical ineptitude. 
 

Won’t happen, but fuck me, he’d be captain with 6 weeks. 

Eric Dier is shit, dreadful suggestion. Have you even watched him? He's fully incompetent. Better than Phillips but not much better tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Sorry what? More quality and numbers? By my reckoning, from the first team squad that finished last season -

We've added

Perraud, Livramento, Armstrong and Broja. Plus we have Elyounnoussi, Valery and Long all back from loans. (7 in total). Not counting Walcott as he was here already.

We've lost 

Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ings, N'Lundulu (loan)(4 in total). Not counting Vokins as he wasnt here at the end of last season. Theres also the deadwood who were never going to feature. Some would say they shouldnt count but its still trimming the squad. Lemina, Hoedt and Gunn takes the total to 7 out.

So provided we replace Vestergaard and if Obafemi leaves, it will be 8 in and 8 out. If we omit the deadwood who wouldnt have featured, then we've gained 3 players - but this is the returning loanees from last season. Hardly an uptick in quality if they were deemed surplus last season.

Sorry Ralph but you're having us on here. We're also sitting about £21m in the green (approx £51m sales against £30m purchases) before any Vestergaard replacement. I doubt that we'll spend £20m on a new CB and whatever change will be swept away. While im happy with the business we've done this summer (good signings and maximising sales/clearing deadwood), I dont share Ralphs view that we have more quality

You forgot that we also lost Minamino. So that's an improvement to our quality. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we sign Phillips you can start planning your Championship away trips for 2022/23. A slow Championship centre half. Relegation guaranteed when paired with equally slow Bednarek when Salisu injured or rotated, having sold the very slow Vestergaard. 

Edited by saint1977
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

If we sign Phillips you can start planning your Championship away trips for 2022/23. A slow Championship centre half. Relegation guaranteed when paired with equally slow Bednarek, having sold the very slow Vestergaard. 

A 3rd/4th choice centre back isn't going to be the difference between staying up and going down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

God, 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

A 3rd/4th choice centre back isn't going to be the difference between staying up and going down.

What a depressing lack of ambition we have now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

If we sign Phillips you can start planning your Championship away trips for 2022/23. A slow Championship centre half. Relegation guaranteed when paired with equally slow Bednarek when Salisu injured or rotated, having sold the very slow Vestergaard. 

Phillips is a right sided CB so he wouldn't be first choice pairing with Bednarek who plays on the same side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

A 3rd/4th choice centre back isn't going to be the difference between staying up and going down.

You obviously weren’t a supporter in 2004/5 judging by that comment and having to watch a half pissed Claus, Jakobsson who made Vestergaard look like Usain Bolt, then there was Davenport. The Villa home game was the stuff of nightmares. Then there was Higgy and his OGs although by far the best of the 4 by that stage. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TWar said:

Jack's better imo

Jesus, the lads made 39 career appearances, kudos to those of you who have seen enough of them to make an informed decision. I know almost nothing about the guy but I'll be prepared to give him a go, certainly over Bednarek. The only player from the back line last season I wanted us to keep was KWP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})