Jump to content

Summer Transfer Window 2021


Recommended Posts

I know this is a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but ....

As we are looking only for a backup #6 who won't be asked to play regularly or demand a huge salary (unlike that Martin Cacares deal), I guess we need to look at a young up'n'coming who will be grateful for any games they get, OR an experienced guy winding down their career and wouldn't want to play every week.

I'm thinking that may be why we aren't pushing for Caleta-Car or AMN, as they are a different profile.

I would have suggested a low wage offer for Drinkwater, but he went to Reading. Not sure who else would fit the profile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I know this is a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but ....

As we are looking only for a backup #6 who won't be asked to play regularly or demand a huge salary (unlike that Martin Cacares deal), I guess we need to look at a young up'n'coming who will be grateful for any games they get, OR an experienced guy winding down their career and wouldn't want to play every week.

I'm thinking that may be why we aren't pushing for Caleta-Car or AMN, as they are a different profile.

I would have suggested a low wage offer for Drinkwater, but he went to Reading. Not sure who else would fit the profile.

Wouldn't touch Drinkwater. Veerman would be my choice for a cheaper backup. Diallo has quality though so I'm not too worried, I think by the end of the season he will be our starting CM next to JWP

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure there was when we signed Ings either...heres hoping...

Ings was linked with us during that summer, although granted it went quiet for a bit before the last day.

Walcott did come out of nowhere (as did Toby and Mane etc).

Until Blackmore says something like "no more business" I remain stupidly hopeful (for a Danso-esque back up midfielder and Obafemi to Blackburn)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Grimes from Swansea - age 26, a CM/CDM, left footed, can also play AM.  And as he there captain he would probably give some on field leadership as well.  1 year left on his contract.  We could probably get him for £4M 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

That's really stupid if true. Stephens first choice all season is not the answer. 

Disagree.  We have four centre backs.  Salisu is IMO first choice for left sided role, Stephens and Bednarek are in a battle for the right sided role.  Stephens has the shirt at the moment, so Bendarek is going to have to fight for it.  The competition should push them both to perform better.  Lyanco has to prove himself and if he does he competes for a place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Disagree.  We have four centre backs.  Salisu is IMO first choice for left sided role, Stephens and Bednarek are in a battle for the right sided role.  Stephens has the shirt at the moment, so Bendarek is going to have to fight for it.  The competition should push them both to perform better.  Lyanco has to prove himself and if he does he competes for a place.

We needed to sign a CB that would improve us, not a backup to Stephens. Stephens is not an improvement on Vestergaard therefore our central defensive positions are overall weaker than last year. The signing of Lyanco is of pivotal importance to our season and assuming we don't sign anyone for defensive midfield it's probably our most vital area of the pitch that may be the difference between survival and relegation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Matt Grimes from Swansea - age 26, a CM/CDM, left footed, can also play AM.  And as he there captain he would probably give some on field leadership as well.  1 year left on his contract.  We could probably get him for £4M 

That sounds like exactly what we need. Seems unlikely though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ings was linked with us during that summer, although granted it went quiet for a bit before the last day.

Walcott did come out of nowhere (as did Toby and Mane etc).

Until Blackmore says something like "no more business" I remain stupidly hopeful (for a Danso-esque back up midfielder and Obafemi to Blackburn)

Wasn't there a transfer window recently where everyone said no I comings and then the club bought someone in anyway after that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Disagree.  We have four centre backs.  Salisu is IMO first choice for left sided role, Stephens and Bednarek are in a battle for the right sided role.  Stephens has the shirt at the moment, so Bendarek is going to have to fight for it.  The competition should push them both to perform better.  Lyanco has to prove himself and if he does he competes for a place.

I think the point is we should have prioritised replacing our front line, clear number 1 choice CB with a first choice CB - like when we signed Van Dijk (£13m) or Lovren (£8m).

What we didn't need is to sign someone who has to "prove himself" to get ahead of Jack bloody Stephens.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's really stupid if true. Stephens first choice all season is not the answer. 

So you expected Vestergaard replacement to replace him and Stephens? One man to replace two doesn't work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Wasn't there a transfer window recently where everyone said no I comings and then the club bought someone in anyway after that? 

Certainly remember Koeman saying "we are not signing a central defender" days before we signed Toby.

Who did we buy in Ralph's first summer? I think there was a surprise but I forget.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the point is we should have prioritised replacing our front line, clear number 1 choice CB with a first choice CB - like when we signed Van Dijk (£13m) or Lovren (£8m).

What we didn't need is to sign someone who has to "prove himself" to get ahead of Jack bloody Stephens.

Absolutely. Getting in a prospect that needs polishing to maybe replace one of the CB options in time is perfectly fine if you've got a decebt first choice defensive pairing. We don't have that and let's not forget our defence was absolutely appaling last season and we've already conceded six in our first three games. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We needed to sign a CB that would improve us, not a backup to Stephens. Stephens is not an improvement on Vestergaard therefore our central defensive positions are overall weaker than last year. The signing of Lyanco is of pivotal importance to our season and assuming we don't sign anyone for defensive midfield it's probably our most vital area of the pitch that may be the difference between survival and relegation. 

I am pretty confident, from what I have already seen this season, that Salisu will go on to be better than Vestergaard ever was for us.

Stephens showed in the second half of 2016/17 and after the restart in 19/20 that if you give him a run of games he is capable of performing adequately for our level. He's not perfect, but at least he is a known quantity. He and Bednarek are much of a muchness, in that they have some strengths but will also make occasional costly mistakes.

Lyanco is the unknown quantity here. He could turn out to be an absolute beast, or he could be a flop.

Overall, I don't think we are significantly weaker at CB than we were last season. But then I don't think we are any stronger either.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Newcastle have signed a mexican kid called Santiago Munoz which is the same name as the character from the Goal! movies (about a mexican kid who signs for Newcastle).

Bit mental but I like it. Its like Jedi FC signing Luke Skywalker or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I am pretty confident, from what I have already seen this season, that Salisu will go on to be better than Vestergaard ever was for us.

Stephens showed in the second half of 2016/17 and after the restart in 19/20 that if you give him a run of games he is capable of performing adequately for our level. He's not perfect, but at least he is a known quantity. He and Bednarek are much of a muchness, in that they have some strengths but will also make occasional costly mistakes.

Lyanco is the unknown quantity here. He could turn out to be an absolute beast, or he could be a flop.

Overall, I don't think we are significantly weaker at CB than we were last season. But then I don't think we are any stronger either.

 

Is vestergaard stronger than Stephens? If the answer is yes which it obviously is then I'm not sure how you can argue we aren't weaker given the public statements about Lyanco. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Couple of helicopters hovering just north west of Southampton, so would likely be from the South West or Wales.  Safe to assume the late capture of Jefferson Lerma!

image.png.2a59cd9a1512c6b3bd19d7b81ff3eaab.png

Now this is the kinda of conspiracy I love reading :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Disagree.  We have four centre backs.  Salisu is IMO first choice for left sided role, Stephens and Bednarek are in a battle for the right sided role.  Stephens has the shirt at the moment, so Bendarek is going to have to fight for it.  The competition should push them both to perform better.  Lyanco has to prove himself and if he does he competes for a place.

It seems better than last season, although I feel sorry for all the centre backs having the league's most indecisive ghost of a goalkeeper behind them. 

But our CB strategy is a long way from what it was. We come up and sign Yoshida to play with Fonte, who both do alright. Then sign Lovren to come in and improve it, which he does. He leaves, so we bring in Alderweireld to improve it, which it really does. He goes and we sign Van Dijk.

We seemed to have a plan, wanted a first choice pairing and benefitted from those partnerships working so well. Now it seems we'll have a lot of rotation there, prospects and not good enough try hards like Stephens. Signing too many players as backup and competition is such a dangerous step towards mediocrity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

It seems better than last season, although I feel sorry for all the centre backs having the league's most indecisive ghost of a goalkeeper behind them. 

But our CB strategy is a long way from what it was. We come up and sign Yoshida to play with Fonte, who both do alright. Then sign Lovren to come in and improve it, which he does. He leaves, so we bring in Alderweireld to improve it, which it really does. He goes and we sign Van Dijk.

We seemed to have a plan, wanted a first choice pairing and benefitted from those partnerships working so well. Now it seems we'll have a lot of rotation there, prospects and not good enough try hards like Stephens. Signing too many players as backup and competition is such a dangerous step towards mediocrity. 

Exactly. Signing some youngsters and good prospects with a lot of potential or rough diamonds is a great strategy and one I fully support but it has to be supplemented with quality starters to allow these signings the time and opportunity to develop. No one is going to convince me that Stephens as a starting centre back most weeks is going to lead to a solid and steady defence. My evidence for this is enhanced by the fact we have already conceded six goals in three league games despite some promising performances. 

Edited by hypochondriac
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Is vestergaard stronger than Stephens? If the answer is yes which it obviously is then I'm not sure how you can argue we aren't weaker given the public statements about Lyanco. 

Is it? I'm not so sure on that. JV had a purple patch at the start of last season but he's horribly limited and was badly at fault for quite a few goals last season. He has a total lack of pace and a strange inability to win aerial duels despite his height advantage. Stephens, isn't a great header of the ball either but is at least more mobile than JV will ever be.

I don't think we are any weaker because Salisu wasn't ready for the first team last season, and only played a bit part towards then end of it. If he makes the step up to first choice starter and is an improvement on JV (which he already looks to be on the evidence so far), then even if Lyanco takes time to settle, as Salisu did last season, then we are no weaker than we were.

If Lyanco turns out to be the player we all hope he is, and Salisu continues to impress, then we will be in a stronger position than we were for last season.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Now this is the kinda of conspiracy I love reading :D

Yep! Except Flightradar24 shows aircraft tracks and it's easy to check where they've come from. Sloppy work Jeremy! :-)

 

Mind you, I know a two seater helicopter without the tracking equipment, just a squawk for ATC, so that would be the best bet. Or back to the ol' superyachts in the Solent..

Link to post
Share on other sites

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Is it? I'm not so sure on that. JV had a purple patch at the start of last season but he's horribly limited and was badly at fault for quite a few goals last season. He has a total lack of pace and a strange inability to win aerial duels despite his height advantage. Stephens, isn't a great header of the ball either but is at least more mobile than JV will ever be.

I don't think we are any weaker because Salisu wasn't ready for the first team last season, and only played a bit part towards then end of it. If he makes the step up to first choice starter and is an improvement on JV (which he already looks to be on the evidence so far), then even if Lyanco takes time to settle, as Salisu did last season, then we are no weaker than we were.

If Lyanco turns out to be the player we all hope he is, and Salisu continues to impress, then we will be in a stronger position than we were for last season.

I didn't say vestergaard was particularly good, simply that he is demonstrably better than Stephens which he clearly is to anyone with eyes and a working brain. Anyone can nit pick about an attribute where Stephens may be better but he's clearly an inferior centre back based on performances alone. If it true that we have brought in Lyanco as a backup option to the first team in order to learn his trade then that's a real folly that we may come to regret come the end of the season. Its vital that our central defence was improved significantly on the dire performance from last year and even if Salisu has improved, overall there's no evidence so far that it's better. We could look back on this with real regret. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

They've been trying to get rid of him for weeks....not 100% sure why. I thought he was doing ok at Juve.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

Errrmmm...

image.png.a451312a5570a920b3d02a389ccd880e.png

image.png.8273855fe312a67000d18ef39ff1a3dd.png

Flying out of Milan.  Timing makes sense.

 

image.png

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Is it? I'm not so sure on that. JV had a purple patch at the start of last season but he's horribly limited and was badly at fault for quite a few goals last season. He has a total lack of pace and a strange inability to win aerial duels despite his height advantage. Stephens, isn't a great header of the ball either but is at least more mobile than JV will ever be.

I don't think we are any weaker because Salisu wasn't ready for the first team last season, and only played a bit part towards then end of it. If he makes the step up to first choice starter and is an improvement on JV (which he already looks to be on the evidence so far), then even if Lyanco takes time to settle, as Salisu did last season, then we are no weaker than we were.

If Lyanco turns out to be the player we all hope he is, and Salisu continues to impress, then we will be in a stronger position than we were for last season.

Yeah, I agree.  JV was good for pinging long diagonals but for most of his time with us was not that great defensively - I think Salisu is much better in that regard.  For a lot of the back half of last season we were missing at least one of our fullbacks and playing people out of position to cover.  We've addressed that now and personally think that was more important.  Also think that a lot of our defensive problems aren't necessarily because of the personnel - our shape is all out attack and we leave ourselves too open.  We could probably improve the players but I'm not sure it would make that much difference.  Overall pretty happy with the window - we've given ourselves options and have at least one great prospect (Livramento) and hopefully Small has a similar impact at some stage.  Adam Armstrong looks to be a decent replacement for Ings.  The only thing I could question would be Walcott.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The twitter activity on Weston McKennie is all over the shop - he's going, he's definitely not going, big money move to Spurs to being offered on loan to Burnley. Mad. 

Edited by CB Fry
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

I posted about him hinting he was about come to the premier League on his insta when he was saying bye to Ronaldo. 
I instantly thought it could be us. 
I would be chuffed if it  was manageable for us to get him in. 
For me,besides a keeper,it would be some outstanding business this window. 
he would be wasted at Burnley. 

Edited by saint lard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})