Jump to content

Summer Transfer Window 2021


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

We are monitoring them, but (IMO) I doubt we will land any of them.

MLG is going to batter me for this - but its crazy to me that we aren’t better at landing lads outside the academy.  All 3 are top prospects & let’s be honest, Livramento would be very close to getting games for us. 

Let’s not forget Dynel Symeu who I mentioned the other day who’s a Southampton lad.

Symeu is apparently off to Watford 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Livramento is incredibly highly rated over there, so that’s one I’d love to see us land.

I completely agree as well, seeing as we haven’t produced a good player in about a decade. It’d definitely be nice to start trying to poach ones from the bigger clubs who can’t offer what we can. Lamptey should be a good example to some players that it’s worth the gamble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

So lets just say, we've been very much linked to Armstrong for quite sometime now it seems, how many of us would now feel gutted if  he dosent make our team and tuns up elsewhere? Why cant we just sign him be done with  it and move on ..............simple enough  surely . Non of the strikers have to move on say ,apart from Long .

I'm not convinced by him, certainly wouldn't be gutted if he went elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danbert said:

I'm not convinced by him, certainly wouldn't be gutted if he went elsewhere.

Why not? Interested in your reasons. Have you seen him play alot?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnley need wingers as it is and there is speculation surrounding McNeil. Can't we sell them Redmond? Same goes for Stephens, Norwich missed out on Ajer, couldn't we sell him there or even to Celtic themselves as a replacement. I feel part of our problem is we never seem to cut loose these sorts of players, the average ones who still have value to other clubs and can bring in money, it's always the good ones that we want to keep or the duds at the end of their contracts long after we first wanted them gone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Carroll on a pay as you play deal. Clearly the only deal you’d ever want to sign someone who can’t play more than 10 games a season. Good foil for Ings, bit of target man action…..

Yes, I know it’s a ridiculous idea but we all know he’s someone you don’t want to play against you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Andy Carroll on a pay as you play deal. Clearly the only deal you’d ever want to sign someone who can’t play more than 10 games a season. Good foil for Ings, bit of target man action…..

Yes, I know it’s a ridiculous idea but we all know he’s someone you don’t want to play against you.

Absolutely no way. Were you drunk when you posted this?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dusic said:

https://theathletic.com/2715736/2021/07/19/chelsea-face-losing-bate-livramento-peart-harris-premier-league-transfer-window?source=user-shared-article

Bate: West Ham or Leeds

Peart-Harris: Brentford

Livramento: Most likely Brighton

Saints not mentioned at all. Would be astonished if some of these weren't players we had an interest in, unless the prices are too high even for players with barely any pro apps.

I'd add a caveat to this point. We have tended to pick up players from these clubs before they get to Scholarship age. Recent years have seen us sign players from Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea for our academy. So we're not completely ignoring other youth players. 

Although the players we have signed have not been good enough to earn scholarships at said clubs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Absolutely no way. Were you drunk when you posted this?

No. I wouldn’t have said that I know it’s a ridiculous idea…..a forum is a great sounding board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, northam soul said:

What about the quality of football thought 

The OS is certainly bigging up women's football these days but frankly it leaves me cold, I have no interest at all.

Presumably it provides a helpful distraction from the total lack of activity in the men's transfer market.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The OS is certainly bigging up women's football these days but frankly it leaves me cold, I have no interest at all.

Presumably it provides a helpful distraction from the total lack of activity in the men's transfer market.

We are an inclusive club and the womens team is gaining more importance by the day. You need to embrace the new normal Charlie!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The OS is certainly bigging up women's football these days but frankly it leaves me cold, I have no interest at all.

Presumably it provides a helpful distraction from the total lack of activity in the men's transfer market.

I thought that until I went and watched them play . Standard is good and there is not the play acting or cheating for bookings and fouls . I will definitely go again next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We are an inclusive club and the womens team is gaining more importance by the day. You need to embrace the new normal Charlie!

Inclusivity means women and men competing equally for places in PL teams.

There are women only series in motor racing now but why? There have been quite a few successful women GP drivers over the years. 

It's more to do with opportunity than skills.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Armstrong would be a coup imo. One of the best performing C'ship players last year, and a signing which (unfortunately) is a level above where I'd anticipate us to be competing at. (ie he's not a lesser known signing from Europe / or an 'unproven' loan signing).

Notwithstanding the fact a lot of his goals arent tap ins, people complaining about his goals being tap ins really underplay value of getting into those positions. The number 1 commonality across elite goalscorers is ability to pick up those positions (effectively accumulate a high Xg). Appreciate this would be a step above but nothing I've seen of him makes me doubt his ability to play PL football.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rudi7s said:

Armstrong would be a coup imo. One of the best performing C'ship players last year, and a signing which (unfortunately) is a level above where I'd anticipate us to be competing at. (ie he's not a lesser known signing from Europe / or an 'unproven' loan signing).

Notwithstanding the fact a lot of his goals arent tap ins, people complaining about his goals being tap ins really underplay value of getting into those positions. The number 1 commonality across elite goalscorers is ability to pick up those positions (effectively accumulate a high Xg). Appreciate this would be a step above but nothing I've seen of him makes me doubt his ability to play PL football.

I agree about tap ins. How many goals did Gary Lineker score from outside the 6 yard box?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rudi7s said:

Armstrong would be a coup imo. One of the best performing C'ship players last year, and a signing which (unfortunately) is a level above where I'd anticipate us to be competing at. (ie he's not a lesser known signing from Europe / or an 'unproven' loan signing).

Notwithstanding the fact a lot of his goals arent tap ins, people complaining about his goals being tap ins really underplay value of getting into those positions. The number 1 commonality across elite goalscorers is ability to pick up those positions (effectively accumulate a high Xg). Appreciate this would be a step above but nothing I've seen of him makes me doubt his ability to play PL football.

that's what we've been lacking IMO. How many times over the last couple of season have we seen a great cross go across the six yard box with all the strikers on their heels no where near it. it happens week after week. There is a skill to being that striker who can get on the end of those crosses, it not just a case of goalhanging waiting for the ball to arrive.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Lookman for £10m….now if we could offload Redmond,Moi, or Djnepo…..or all bloody 3 I wouldn’t shed a tear. 

Are we in for him or are you just saying he is available for 10m?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

 

There are women only series in motor racing now but why? There have been quite a few successful women GP drivers over the years. 

There is a Women only series but there have never been any successful women GP drivers. Only one has even scored world championship points, and even then it was only 0.5. Strange thing is that women could  compete equally in motor racing, indeed they could have an advantage, a bit like jockeys in horse racing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s from here.  No idea if the source is legit. 

 

Lazy link, Leipzig player = Ralph must be interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spurs going to offer less than £20m for Ings, says  Eurosport, and our prospective move for Armstrong is 'on pause for now', says Tom Leach. Oh good. Pretty worried about our squad TBH

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Lookman on loan with an option if he impresses makes way too much sense for us. 

It seems too logical - heavily linked a few years back, played (well) under Ralph (I think) previously at Leipzig, just had a decent season in the premier league yet in a struggling team, still young with potential, in our price range...

We'll probably offer 4mil and then walk away 🤣 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Lookman on loan with an option if he impresses makes way too much sense for us. 

Has he officially gone back to Leipzig? Is there a small chance that he could figure in the behind closed doors friendly on Saturdey?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DT said:

Spurs going to offer less than £20m for Ings, says  Eurosport, and our prospective move for Armstrong is 'on pause for now', says Tom Leach. Oh good. Pretty worried about our squad TBH

Reports suggested Ings only wants to go to Utd or City. Wonder where the truth lays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DT said:

Spurs going to offer less than £20m for Ings, says  Eurosport, and our prospective move for Armstrong is 'on pause for now', says Tom Leach. Oh good. Pretty worried about our squad TBH

Wow that would be so disrespectful, a new low for Levy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Reports suggested Ings only wants to go to Utd or City. Wonder where the truth lays.

I would be surprised if he would even consider Utd given his past associations. I suspect the reality is City or Chelsea, assuming Liverpool are not interested in taking him back. Of course there might be options overseas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Lookman on loan with an option if he impresses makes way too much sense for us. 

It would make sense for sure, but it would still require a loan fee. It seems we're struggling to even raise the capital for loan fees though, anything we seem to do whether its a loan or a perm seems to hinge on getting money in first. I honestly think we're going to have to bite the bullet and sanction a big sale to give us the flexibility we need, otherwise we're standing still with a squad not deep enough as it is.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'paused for now' comments on Armstrong are interesting. And a bit strange. Not sure I've seen that with a transfer before.

Does it mean everything is agreed and we need to find some ££ from a sale first? (free up wages? generate the transfer fee?)

Maybe he's second choice, and we're waiting on developments with other targets?

Or the report could be bollocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

I agree about tap ins. How many goals did Gary Lineker score from outside the 6 yard box?

how many would Gary Lineker score with the service we currently offer?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Suhari said:

The 'paused for now' comments on Armstrong are interesting. And a bit strange. Not sure I've seen that with a transfer before.

Does it mean everything is agreed and we need to find some ££ from a sale first? (free up wages? generate the transfer fee?)

Maybe he's second choice, and we're waiting on developments with other targets?

Or the report could be bollocks.

I read it that we're not going to place any more bids until later in the window when Blackburn will have to drop their asking price

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It would make sense for sure, but it would still require a loan fee. It seems we're struggling to even raise the capital for loan fees though, anything we seem to do whether its a loan or a perm seems to hinge on getting money in first. I honestly think we're going to have to bite the bullet and sanction a big sale to give us the flexibility we need, otherwise we're standing still with a squad not deep enough as it is.

I'm sure we could afford Williams' loan fee, we just don't think it's fair value

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm sure we could afford Williams' loan fee, we just don't think it's fair value

You would have thought we would have established all this in the 6 months or so in order that we didn't waste time on it over summer - pathetic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm sure we could afford Williams' loan fee, we just don't think it's fair value

Yep, agreed. That said, if he's say a £10m player, a £2m loan fee for a season isn't unreasonable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

You would have thought we would have established all this in the 6 months or so in order that we didn't waste time on it over summer - pathetic. 

We can only scout/negotiate with one player at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Suhari said:

The 'paused for now' comments on Armstrong are interesting. And a bit strange. Not sure I've seen that with a transfer before.

Does it mean everything is agreed and we need to find some ££ from a sale first? (free up wages? generate the transfer fee?)

Maybe he's second choice, and we're waiting on developments with other targets?

Or the report could be bollocks.

 

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I read it that we're not going to place any more bids until later in the window when Blackburn will have to drop their asking price

Could be either of these (forgive me) we aren't gonna buy until Ings goes I (assumption)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Suhari said:

Reports suggested Ings only wants to go to Utd or City. Wonder where the truth lays.

Do those clubs want him?

I can see how this plays out...

01) Ings waits for love unrequited... season starts - no deal

02) Ings plays all season with Saints, completes his contract

03) he leaves in May 2022 on free

the only positive of this would be maybe in a WC year he is highly motivated to prove his value to country (not to mention his unconvinced suitors), and scores 25 goals. Yay, Saints stay up!

The negative obviously would be we lose him for nothing while he increases his value substantially over the 21-22 season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

You would have thought we would have established all this in the 6 months or so in order that we didn't waste time on it over summer - pathetic. 

It is the same every transfer window, the players (well the agents) will not commit early because they are always looking for a better deal with more commission. It is especially difficult this season because of Covid and no one knows what the values will settle at. It will take a big transfer like Kane to materialise before the deals will trickle through. Of course the exemptions are the clubs with big money to spend.

 

Edited by Saints4Prem
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

Wow that would be so disrespectful, a new low for Levy. 

About as disrespectful as us offering Blackburn less than half what they want for Armstrong, yes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, agreed. That said, if he's say a £10m player, a £2m loan fee for a season isn't unreasonable. 

Which is probably less than he’d cost if we were trying to do a permanent deal. £2m doesn’t sound unreasonable to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})