Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

I went to the 1-1 wen Redmond scored header and Tom Davies scored late on via a deflection off of hoedt which Bertrand had a chance to put in the stands but decided to take a touch a lost it Costing us 3 points .. that was penultimate game for the Swansea away and the mighty gabbiadini ..was running around screaming at top of my voice outside the liberty stadium where the coaches parked with several 1000 saints fans rocking o wen the saints ..📢🎶🎵let’s hope it doesn’t go that close this season 🤦‍♂️

13 minutes ago, JRM said:

I hate Everton

I hate playing Everton at Goodison. 

Are there any other clubs with a run without a win at a ground as long as ours? (Can't count the league cup penalty shootout) 

Depressing times. 

Never know. Fulham hadnt beat Everton at Goodison in forever before winning there the other week. That being said, Fulham are a much better outfit than we are right now and Everton will be riding high after the derby win. Would take a draw all day.

One thing which is becoming clear, Sheff Utd the following week is looking like a must win. They're an awful side with countless defensive injuries and relying on Sharp/McGoldrick/McBurnie for goals. No doubt we'll find a way of making them look good though

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just to swing some positivity out there. We've got to win at Goodison at some point, haven't we?

We've got to win again at some point, haven't we?

The stars are aligning for something. Return to form at Goodison...when you least expect it.

Last season we were playing very well. We pissed all over them but they still managed to fluke a point.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just to swing some positivity out there. We've got to win at Goodison at some point, haven't we?

The stars are aligning for something. Return to form at Goodison...when you least expect it.

Can't see it without Romeu and Diallo. Will need a back 3 with wing backs as defence won't get much protection from midfield. 

For some reason Everton play us Monday night and West Brom Thursday night, not sure if that helps us. 

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Can't see it without Romeu and Diallo. Will need a back 3 with wing backs as defence won't get much protection from midfield. 

For some reason Everton play us Monday night and West Brom Thursday night, not sure if that helps us. 

I think Diallo is close to coming back. If not, got to give Jankewitz another chance, and either three at the back with Bertrand And Djenepo wing backs or Ramsey.

Richarlison will rip us a new one, every team and every premiership striker wants to play against us at the moment.  If we can get out by only losing 2 nil that's improvement, that's how bad we currently are.  

Everton,  Goodison Park, other than the cup when was the last time we......

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Richarlison will rip us a new one, every team and every premiership striker wants to play against us at the moment.  If we can get out by only losing 2 nil that's improvement, that's how bad we currently are.  

Everton,  Goodison Park, other than the cup when was the last time we......

1997 Kevin Davies wonder goal. 

15 league visits in a row since without a win. 

I've seen us on the wrong end of some heavy defeats there, even when they've been shite we've not had enough to win. 

I've been watching Everton a lot recently, as my nephew has been a regular bench-sitter for the first team for the last few games. They have better quality than us in most positions, and Ancelotti has got them well organised, but their home form has been poor of late with defeats to Newcastle and then Fulham.

I think the key will be to play like we did against Chelsea and defend a little deeper inviting them onto us a bit. They're not all that going forward and if we can shut off the supply to Calvert-Lewin then they don't have much else in the way of threat except Richarlison, who is a very hot and cold player who is prone to sulking when things don't go his way.

I'd be tempted to start Tella again alongside Armstrong in the AM positions, with Ings and Adams up front. He's got something about him and the Everton CBs aren't the most mobile. Watching their game against Man City last week, Keane just stood completely still and let Silva take a touch and shoot for their third goal. He made no attempt to put in any kind of block. That's a weakness we need to exploit.

We just can't keep up with this pattern of going full intensity for the first 45 minutes and fading so badly in the second half. We need to be a little more patient and manage the game better over 90 mins, and then we might get something out if it. I find it alarming that Ralph can't see this. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 2

The team that beat Wolves 2-0 in the FA Cup:

44Forster
2Walker-Peters

35Bednarek
22Salisu
3Bertrand
17Armstrong
8Ward-Prowse
6Romeu
12Djenepo
11Redmond
9Ings

The team that beat Arsenal 1-0 in the FA Cup

44Forster
2Walker-Peters

35Bednarek
5Stephens
3Bertrand
17Armstrong
8Ward-Prowse
27Diallo
32Walcott
9Ings
10Adams

The team that beat Liverpool 1-0 in the league:

44Forster
2Walker-Peters

35Bednarek
5Stephens
3Bertrand
17Armstrong
27Diallo
8Ward-Prowse
12Djenepo
9Ings
32Walcott

If Walker-Peters is available, we start with the first 2 names in the lineup and at least we'll keep a clean sheet.

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

With the right team, I think we can win 1-0. What the club need to do is look at the players who were playing as well as the ones who were not playing when we won games. 1 or 2 of them may be fan favourites on here and even manager's favourites but it's better to field a winning team than a losing one. You don't change a winning team but you need to change one that is always losing. It doesn't require wholesale changes. Just one or 2 changes in key positions can make a world of difference to the way the whole team performs.

• Like 1

Ralph needs to change things up, it's all becoming predictable and almost like the cat's been let out of the bag.

When things went pear-shaped under Koeman for a bit (think we lost 5 in a row!), we reverted to a 3-5-2/5-3-2, and one of my favourite games under Koeman was that 3-0 win at SMS where we had key injuries to several players too.

Forster

Ramsay Salisu Bednarek Vestegaard Bertrand

JWP Armstrong

Minamino Ings Djenepo/Tella

We have 6 days to rectify this situation and try work something different on the training ground. If we can somehow shore up the defence, then the clean sheet will be key to get anything out of this game.

If KWP is still out, and Diallo and Romeu are also out, Ramsay at RB and Jankewitz in Centre Mid please. No more of this pissing around with players out of position. Bednarek is a more than decent CB but he didn’t stand a chance tonight on the flank. 

if we lose with Ramsay and Jankewitz so be it, we’re getting beaten anyway by playing people out of position. 

On a more positive note, we’re playing so badly in the league that I’m getting more and more convinced we’re going to get to the Cup Final. Mind you, my lottery numbers didn’t come up last week. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I've been watching Everton a lot recently, as my nephew has been a regular bench-sitter for the first team for the last few games. They have better quality than us in most positions, and Ancelotti has got them well organised, but their home form has been poor of late with defeats to Newcastle and then Fulham.

I think the key will be to play like we did against Chelsea and defend a little deeper inviting them onto us a bit. They're not all that going forward and if we can shut off the supply to Calvert-Lewin then they don't have much else in the way of threat except Richarlison, who is a very hot and cold player who is prone to sulking when things don't go his way.

I'd be tempted to start Tella again alongside Armstrong in the AM positions, with Ings and Adams up front. He's got something about him and the Everton CBs aren't the most mobile. Watching their game against Man City last week, Keane just stood completely still and let Silva take a touch and shoot for their third goal. He made no attempt to put in any kind of block. That's a weakness we need to exploit.

We just can't keep up with this pattern of going full intensity for the first 45 minutes and fading so badly in the second half. We need to be a little more patient and manage the game better over 90 mins, and then we might get something out if it. I find it alarming that Ralph can't see this. 

Presumably you haven't been watching us a lot lately.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ralph needs to change things up, it's all becoming predictable and almost like the cat's been let out of the bag.

When things went pear-shaped under Koeman for a bit (think we lost 5 in a row!), we reverted to a 3-5-2/5-3-2, and one of my favourite games under Koeman was that 3-0 win at SMS where we had key injuries to several players too.

Forster

Ramsay Salisu Bednarek Vestegaard Bertrand

JWP Armstrong

Minamino Ings Djenepo/Tella

We have 6 days to rectify this situation and try work something different on the training ground. If we can somehow shore up the defence, then the clean sheet will be key to get anything out of this game.

Yeah, I mentioned that game a couple of weeks ago, It stuck out to me for those same reasons. We were on a bad run - 5 without a win, 4 defeats in a row I think it was. Loads of injuries/suspensions etc. Think we were without Morgan, Wanyama, Tadic, Mane to name a few. Everyone expected the worst.

Did alright though, but we had a squad back then. We could lose those key players and still have the know to get the win - having players like Fonte at the back helped.

Edited by S-Clarke

Time for a formation change for this one 3-4-1-2

McCarthy 

Bednarek-Vestergaard-Salisu

Djenepo-JWP-Diallo*-Bertrand 

Armstrong 

Ings-Minamino 

*Diallo in if he is fit enough failing that Jankewitz starts with second chance and a point to prove. 

Djenepo and Bertrand both Wing backs and lets see if we can get a partnership for the rest of the season with Ings and Minamino 

So the conclusion is play a proper right back in the right back position and we might actually stand a chance of drawing or winning a game of football.... 🙄🙄

Can't we just loan somebody who can play left and right back for remainder of season as cover...... 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I hate Everton

I hate playing Everton at Goodison. 

Are there any other clubs with a run without a win at a ground as long as ours? (Can't count the league cup penalty shootout) 

Depressing times. 

Ours at Arsenal, in the league anyway. 

9 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Presumably you haven't been watching us a lot lately.

What was it about my post that prompted you to say that?

Surely my stating that we need to stop doing X, which hasn't been working, and do Y instead if we want to get a result, is a pretty clear indication that I have been watching recently. The only one I missed was Newcastle.

I don’t think it’s about changing the team or the formation.

I think we need to change our style. The lads shouldn’t be coming in at half time hanging after chasing shadows for 45 minutes.

Patient football and preserve your energy throughout. Keep a solid back 3/4 and none of this all go up and leave nobody back like what happened last night.

If it’s 0-0 with 10 minutes to go then the gaps will appear and maybe either be settled for the draw or go and nick one. Worked for Hoddle when he was in charge for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Some good points, I watched all those games, in fact I've seen Everton lose at home to West Ham, Newcastle and Fulham recently and failed to score in all three games, the away side defended deep and hit them on the break. 

Have we got the pace and speed of thought to counter attack in the same way? 

2 minutes ago, darren2 said:

Can someone let me know when the match is please?  I can be sure to watch Married at First Sight Australia on instead as the result is only going one way and it'll be painful!

Why do you want to know when it is if your going to watch something else instead?

5 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Portsmouth haven't beaten Arsenal home or away for 63 years and they haven't beaten Chelsea home or away for 61 years, in any competition. 

If you’re going down to that sort of level, Forest Green Rovers have got an even worse record.......

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I don’t think it’s about changing the team or the formation.

I think we need to change our style. The lads shouldn’t be coming in at half time hanging after chasing shadows for 45 minutes.

Patient football and preserve your energy throughout. Keep a solid back 3/4 and none of this all go up and leave nobody back like what happened last night.

If it’s 0-0 with 10 minutes to go then the gaps will appear and maybe either be settled for the draw or go and nick one. Worked for Hoddle when he was in charge for us.

I actually think that this is what we did against Chelsea, where we defended solidly for the first 70 minutes but started to get a more equal proportion of possession in the last 20 minutes.  Of course, you could argue that our style was due to Chelsea having better players and dominating the ball but we did defend very well. 

I wouldn't want to play that way longer term, but getting a few points from dull 0-0 draws would be very appealing at the moment. 

Need a proper right back and get Bednarek back in the middle 

Forster in goal Alex has issues

Then two in the middle and two wide and Ings/Adams up front

Defend deeper and play steady 

last night we went crazy at 1-0 down and still had 25 minutes left!

A 1-1 draw so much better than 0-3..

2 hours ago, darren2 said:

Can someone let me know when the match is please?  I can be sure to watch Married at First Sight Australia on instead as the result is only going one way and it'll be painful!

More jeopardy in an episode of MAFSA than a saints game at the moment.

Edited by Wrensup
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic