Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, LeG said:

He's arrived to put us on the world map and improve our Role-Playing Game

Maybe the suggestion of Ings striker leader role was not so far fetched?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's already clear that this guy cannot and will not replace Eric Black.

In terms of cone stackers no one comes close to Dennis T-Shirt though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Can he please teach players to be two footed first. In a football match if you can’t kick a ball you ain’t much use a fact we don’t seem to have addressed .... He better start with the first team actually .... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
Just now, Miltonaggro said:

No Wikipedia page, so I'm remaining sceptical.

i wont take him seriously until i know how many twitter followers he has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

The Game Coach is responsible for delivering the Playbook, to make sure the players understand how we play, the terminology, the roles within the team; to make sure we prepare the players for the game effectively, to coach and deliver that game and then review that game.

"We have also introduced an Individual Development Coach to sit alongside. Their role is to make sure there are robust, simple, player-led Individual Development Plans (IDPs).
 

 

What a load of old pony. 
 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This...

 

 "My job is to be the gatekeeper of that Playbook, to make sure that when managers, myself and Marieanne (Spacey-Cale) move on, that there is a legacy and a piece of work left for someone else to be able to build on in the future."

 

Hopefully not anytime soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The Game Coach is responsible for delivering the Playbook, to make sure the players understand how we play, the terminology, the roles within the team; to make sure we prepare the players for the game effectively, to coach and deliver that game and then review that game.

"We have also introduced an Individual Development Coach to sit alongside. Their role is to make sure there are robust, simple, player-led Individual Development Plans (IDPs).
 

 

What a load of old pony. 
 

 

Dunno why saints invested in a professional coach, why don't they just employ a fella to yell at them to be tougher and have a tantrum whenever anyone uses a statistic of any kind?

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Dunno why saints invested in a professional coach, why don't they just employ a fella to yell at them to be tougher and have a tantrum whenever anyone uses a statistic of any kind?

C’mon you’re better that that matey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

C’mon you’re better that that matey.

I guess. Not worth making off topic arguments.

On topic, sounds good to me. I think with all the young players we are bringing in this summer having a real focus on getting them first team ready is going to be very valuable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s management speak pony, and the hipsters lap it up. WTF is a game coach & a fucking playbook. What’s a frigging IDPs, and what the hell does this bird Marieanne know about developing players. Who is  in charge of this nonsense David Brent? I bet they won’t have as many “first team ready” as Dave Merrington did. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in my industry for over 25 years and seen the language change and terms come and go. It's probably the same in all business including football, nothing to really wet your pants over, especially someone who says 'nets' and 'pony' 😜

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the old days:-

Game Coach: Normal training
Individual Development Coach: Staying on after training to practice a few things, like free kicks. 🙂

Done well, and there's no reason to think it won't be, there are loads of positives in having developing players shown individual care, attention and defined goals, in progressing all their skills. Not only will it make them feel far better supported, it will develop standards that should see even those who don't make it here have careers in the game and show prospective talents that their development lies here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They think they’re reinventing the wheel. It’s what any manager worth his salt has been doing for 50 bloody years, imposing his style on the club, putting decent coaches in key positions, and turning boys into men. You hipsters really think you’re cutting edge and have discovered something new. Peter Taylor was one of the greatest talent spotters in history, he’d recommend the players and Cloughie would motivate them. Now they’d probably be called “match day coach” & “Xg analyst “. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They think they’re reinventing the wheel. It’s what any manager worth his salt has been doing for 50 bloody years, imposing his style on the club, putting decent coaches in key positions, and turning boys into men. You hipsters really think you’re cutting edge and have discovered something new. Peter Taylor was one of the greatest talent spotters in history, he’d recommend the players and Cloughie would motivate them. Now they’d probably be called “match day coach” & “Xg analyst “. 

So you’re just arguing about terminology but generally happy they’re using this set up because they should have been doing it anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They think they’re reinventing the wheel. It’s what any manager worth his salt has been doing for 50 bloody years, imposing his style on the club, putting decent coaches in key positions, and turning boys into men. You hipsters really think you’re cutting edge and have discovered something new. Peter Taylor was one of the greatest talent spotters in history, he’d recommend the players and Cloughie would motivate them. Now they’d probably be called “match day coach” & “Xg analyst “. 

I'm not sure you mean to be but your hilarious with your 70s throwback character, all 'pony', 'chicks', 'up and at em', 'man up' 'hey woman iron my shirt I'm of to the pub to play skittles'. You should take it to the Edinburgh fringe.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, revolution saint said:

So you’re just arguing about terminology but generally happy they’re using this set up because they should have been doing it anyway?

The first thing they should do is cut out the stupid names. Secondly, whose accountable for under performance , is it the match day coach or is it the Individual development coach? If the “play book” is fucked up, who carries the can? It just sums up the muddled thinking and softness that runs right through the club, yet some on here lap it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The playbook is a transposition of the Crockers  "England DNA" system that worked for the England age groups onto club level

It was started in the England set-up in 2014 and takes time to successfully implement. (especially when the Director of Football Operations takes over full time as a pandemic hits)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I've been in my industry for over 25 years and seen the language change and terms come and go. It's probably the same in all business including football, nothing to really wet your pants over, especially someone who says 'nets' and 'pony' 😜

 

This, it’s just business speak, new phrases meaning exactly the same thing as the old ones. I do though find it all irritating though, I mean who was the first person to type ‘I hope this email finds you well’?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The first thing they should do is cut out the stupid names. Secondly, whose accountable for under performance , is it the match day coach or is it the Individual development coach? If the “play book” is fucked up, who carries the can? It just sums up the muddled thinking and softness that runs right through the club, yet some on here lap it up. 

Yeah just get it  in the onion bag…there is only one responsible for first team as you know.

The big issue here is we don’t have the money to replace him even if wanted to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nolan said:

The playbook is a transposition of the Crockers  "England DNA" system that worked for the England age groups onto club level

It was started in the England set-up in 2014 and takes time to successfully implement. (especially when the Director of Football Operations takes over full time as a pandemic hits)

 

 

 

 

When are England going to implement it exactly? Perennial capitulators  and losers, at least they are nice boys I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

When are England going to implement it exactly? Perennial capitulators  and losers, at least they are nice boys I suppose.

That you cant see the senior squad  being Semi Finalists in a World Tournament followed by Finalists in a highly competitive regional tournament is  an improvement to what we had previously in the last thirty years says more about you than anything else.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Nolan said:

That you cant see the senior squad  being Semi Finalists in a World Tournament followed by Finalists in a highly compentitve regional tournament is  an improvement to what we had previously in the last thirty years says more about you than anything else.

What I see is a team that had a pretty cushy run to a final, encountering the weakest German side in a generation, including  Muller missing a one on one he’d score 999 times out of a 1000, then the usual pathetic capitulation. What it says about me is, I see things as they are, not how the revisionist new wavers would like to see  them, to reinforce the new alternative reality. Btw, you have view , I have a view. No need for petty insults.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

What I see is a team that had a pretty cushy run to a final, encountering the weakest German side in a generation, including  Muller missing a one on one he’d score 999 times out of a 1000, then the usual pathetic capitulation. What it says about me is, I see things as they are, not how the revisionist new wavers would like to see  them, to reinforce the new alternative reality. Btw, you have view , I have a view. No need for petty insults.

You're leaving yourself open to being called both "Closed minded" and "hypocritical" with that post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Barcelona wonderkid joins Saints! Xavi Jr stated that, although the Hoof it up to the Big Man approach of The Gaffer was reknowned, it was the work under Sgt Major Shouty that he was looking forward to most.

I was watching clips of old England and Scotland qualification runs at the Euros and, despite lots of nostalgia for the times, things look good for the current squad.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

What I see is a team that had a pretty cushy run to a final, encountering the weakest German side in a generation, including  Muller missing a one on one he’d score 999 times out of a 1000, then the usual pathetic capitulation. What it says about me is, I see things as they are, not how the revisionist new wavers would like to see  them, to reinforce the new alternative reality. Btw, you have view , I have a view. No need for petty insults.

You could likely say these things about any team that reaches a World or European Championship.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I dont believe people who disagree are revisionist new wavers, they just see the reality that in the last 2 major tournaments, we have got to a semi and final.  I would agree with you if we only did that in something like the nations league or whatever it is called, but not the major ones.

Also, so what about Muller missing - that for me is totally irrelevant - all teams miss chances and stuff, England included in that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this playbook thing was about getting all ages levels within the club playing the same style of football, (read same tactics). That way when they get to the first team they don't have to spend ages trying to adapt their game.

Presumably it's not something every club does, or does to different degrees?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The first thing they should do is cut out the stupid names. Secondly, whose accountable for under performance , is it the match day coach or is it the Individual development coach? If the “play book” is fucked up, who carries the can? It just sums up the muddled thinking and softness that runs right through the club, yet some on here lap it up. 

I've got a certain amount of sympathy for this view.  It's frustrating when it appears that something has been invented when in reality it's something that's been done before only slightly differently and under a different name.  The fabled blackbox and moneyball are both other examples; they're just different terms for what decent scouts and scouting systems will already be doing.  Doesn't really wind me up quite so much though.  Positive thing is that they look like they've recognised an under performing academy system and are taking steps to rectify it.  Proof will be the output of players that can make a difference in the first team over the next few years. 

My guess is that a lot of the success will also be based on the experience that Crocker and the others already have at England level.  They're well placed to know the best coaches and support staff and bring them in where they can.  Instead of treating the youth teams as a route into coaching as a favour for ex-pros they look like they're targeting the best staff which isn't exactly rocket science but will probably make the biggest difference whatever their job titles are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So they have simply decided on a new system of division of labour. Instead of one guy in charge of all aspects with another guy helping him then going down to specialised coaches below them they have decided to have two people responsible for different areas with the specialised coaches reporting into the respective area leader. Its hardly something to suggest the world has ended. But a reasonable system that might have intrinsic benefits over the alternative system. Clearly what we were doing was failing to produce the same results as at earlier times, maybe in former times our setup under different coaches has gravitated to this model without being formally in place ie "Jason can you concentrate on the individual training, while I work with players on overall setup?" and the exact way tasks are divided up based on individual choice of those running it at that time rather than an overall plan. It seems like it might be better to allocate personnel based on their best attribute (or recruit ones based on their ability doing a certain thing) than make everyone a generalist. We will see if this works out or not, but to describe changing an organizational structure as "pony" just because some labels have changed seems rather ridiculous

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine a fair bit of the glossy spin on this approach will be to sell it to parents of kids. Even as we groan at the new names for old terms. Seeing that there will be a defined development path with performance indicators, will remove some of that randomness of hoping their kid's talent rises above the others in a wider group.

Of course, clubs worth their salt will be guiding individuals anyway. Lots of this should be old hat. But this systemises it, removes gaps where/ if the academy wasn't performing this way. One pitfall is that this new approach isn't flexible to change, and becomes outdated, with the regime unwilling to change, resulting in many of the same issues as before. But the people there should know that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})