Jump to content

Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I see an Indian variant has arrived now.   Panic panic panic!!

Clearly we need another lockdown to break it. Lockdowns are all that works

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I see an Indian variant has arrived now.   Panic panic panic!!

Over ere we have got the UK Variant. God knows how, as no one from the UK is allowed to travel. Scamdemic, no question.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I see an Indian variant has arrived now.   Panic panic panic!!

 

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

Clearly we need another lockdown to break it. Lockdowns are all that works

And put an extra mask on ffs, you’re killing grandma!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good summary here. Meanwhile the government are obviously so bothered about it that India isn't on the red list.

I popped into town earlier and it was pretty busy. It was nice walking around and seeing lots of people meeting up, smiling, chatting and getting back to some sort of normality. I saw a few friends I haven't seen since last year and it was great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Cat said:

Good summary here. Meanwhile the government are obviously so bothered about it that India isn't on the red list.

I popped into town earlier and it was pretty busy. It was nice walking around and seeing lots of people meeting up, smiling, chatting and getting back to some sort of normality. I saw a few friends I haven't seen since last year and it was great. 

They’re building up the scare mongering though https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-indian-double-mutation-variant-arrives-in-britain-and-has-hallmarks-of-very-dangerous-virus-12276922

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I first thought that he’d knowingly posted that as a joke. Then it occurred to me that certain people would believe it’s a real poster. Then it occurred to me that it’s not actually any stupider than thinking Idris Elba isn’t black enough because he doesn’t listen to drum and bass whilst eating fried chicken.

 

Anyway, back on topic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56789454

 

Something something, freedoms, global reset, obedience etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I first thought that he’d knowingly posted that as a joke. Then it occurred to me that certain people would believe it’s a real poster. Then it occurred to me that it’s not actually any stupider than thinking Idris Elba isn’t black enough because he doesn’t listen to drum and bass whilst eating fried chicken.

 

Anyway, back on topic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56789454

 

Something something, freedoms, global reset, obedience etc.

That wasn't what thd diversity officer said though and it wasn't the beebs position, it was her opinion and it's kind of her job to keep pushing for more. 

Anyway back on topic:

Let's hope the anti-vaxxer 5g loons don't look to cancel that event like they did the comedy event.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Follow the data eh? It was lockdown. Well Weston swallows it or was it Lighthouse maybe? Thirty fucking two

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/20/exclusive-just-32-people-hospital-covid-vaccination/

 

Yes, I’ve spent all evening knocking one out over the new draconian lockdown procedures coming into force on the 17th May. I simply can’t wait to have some of my freedoms taken away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 21:39, Lighthouse said:

He said the bulk of the work in reducing the outbreak was down to the lockdown, which I thought we knew already. If it wasn’t, what would be the point in having them? Vaccines take time to have an effect and are our best defence against future outbreaks IF everyone who is able to take the vaccine takes it.  Up until about a month ago we’ve been doing almost entirely first doses, which they reckon are around 60% effective.

 

If your starting point is 1,800 deaths a day - even if you managed to perfectly predict every single person who was about to be infected and killed and give them one dose - you’d still only knock it down to just over 700 a day, without a lockdown. That is also (completely incorrectly) assuming that the infection rate would have stayed the same and that 1,800 was the highest we could possibly have achieved, which it wasn’t. Without lockdown the vaccine might have protected 60% of people out of 5,000 who were ‘supposed’ to die, I.e. 2,000 per day would still be dying.

 

Boris can’t win. If he’d said it was mostly down to the vaccine, the conspiracy theorists would have been foaming at the mouth saying, "look, this is proof it’s all about controlling our behaviour, they’re locking us down for months and they’ve just admitted there was no need to!"

No I thought it was the vaccine 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Keep wearing those masks. Don’t be complacent. New variants are waiting round the corner to get us.

To be fair, Weston General has had to reopen its covid ward as it has gone from zero to 19 patients in the last week.  Could just be a blip and no idea of the makeup of the patients and whether any have been vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, Weston General has had to reopen its covid ward as it has gone from zero to 19 patients in the last week.  Could just be a blip and no idea of the makeup of the patients and whether any have been vaccinated.

Weren’t there figures out showing on 34 hospital admissions with vaccinated people? I highly doubt over half of them were in one hospital 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Weren’t there figures out showing on 34 hospital admissions with vaccinated people? I highly doubt over half of them were in one hospital 

Vaccinated people. There’re still around 2,000 nationally in hospital who, one would assume and hope, are mostly unvaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Vaccinated people. There’re still around 2,000 nationally in hospital who, one would assume and hope, are mostly unvaccinated.

As a percentage there are a lot more younger people in hospital - because mostly they haven't been unvaccinated and the oldies have   

Edited by buctootim
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, buctootim said:

As a percentage there are a lot more younger people in hospital - because mostly they haven't been unvaccinated and the oldies have   

This is the problem with percentages. They mean nothing without looking at the actual figures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, buctootim said:

As a percentage there are a lot more younger people in hospital - because mostly they haven't been unvaccinated and the oldies have   

That's why they are so slow in opening everything up, the young are more likely to be out spreading it. We've spent months vaccinating the oldies who probably spend most of their life at home watching crap on TV or sat in their garden.

Link to post
Share on other sites

More good news, it was reported that uptake among the BAME community has apparently tripled. I wonder if this is in part down to the terrible situation in India and the news starting to filter through to Asian communities in the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Weren’t there figures out showing on 34 hospital admissions with vaccinated people? I highly doubt over half of them were in one hospital 

Like I said, no idea whether any of them have been vaccinated - this is anecdotal from a nurse who works in the hospital, so it could be that none of them are vaccinated....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

 

It's a good thread but to be frank it's well above the head of most people and I say that as someone who's been involved in the drug discovery industry for almost 3 decades. Most people I talk to don't even know what DNA stands for let alone have knowledge surrounding point mutations within the SARS-COV-2 virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

India is having a nightmare!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56826645

Quote

India has reported 314,835 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours - the highest one-day tally recorded anywhere in the world.

Deaths rose by 2,104 in the same time period, India's worst daily toll.

It brings the country's total confirmed cases close to 16 million, second only to the US's 31.9 million.

Incredible really when you consider that just over a month ago they were having a phased lifting of lockdown with 57,000 people attending the T20 v England on March 13th!

More than 180,000 deaths recorded so far in a country that doesn't truly know how many people live in it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Trout-Tickler said:

It's a good thread but to be frank it's well above the head of most people and I say that as someone who's been involved in the drug discovery industry for almost 3 decades. Most people I talk to don't even know what DNA stands for let alone have knowledge surrounding point mutations within the SARS-COV-2 virus.

National Dyslexic Association. 
 

What do I win?! 😃 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

India is having a nightmare!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56826645

Incredible really when you consider that just over a month ago they were having a phased lifting of lockdown with 57,000 people attending the T20 v England on March 13th!

More than 180,000 deaths recorded so far in a country that doesn't truly know how many people live in it!

I did wonder as knew had seen fans there recently. That was it

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue. The three month lockdown can’t not have played a massive part in bringing down the number of infections. We know that, we saw it last spring with the first wave. We could have not locked down and the pandemic would have continued to grow exponentially for another couple of months, then eventually plateaued as a certain vaccination threshold was reached but that would have been disastrous. Hospitals were reaching capacity anyway with 40,000 Covid patients and some reporting low oxygen reserves.

 

Call me a sheep all you like, they have quite active, outdoors lifestyles, enjoying the countryside and breathing fresh air. I’ll take that over lying in a hospital bed gasping for air because they’ve run out of oxygen, like parts of India are now facing.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue. The three month lockdown can’t not have played a massive part in bringing down the number of infections. We know that, we saw it last spring with the first wave. We could have not locked down and the pandemic would have continued to grow exponentially for another couple of months, then eventually plateaued as a certain vaccination threshold was reached but that would have been disastrous. Hospitals were reaching capacity anyway with 40,000 Covid patients and some reporting low oxygen reserves.

 

Call me a sheep all you like, they have quite active, outdoors lifestyles, enjoying the countryside and breathing fresh air. I’ll take that over lying in a hospital bed gasping for air because they’ve run out of oxygen, like parts of India are now facing.

 

But lockdowns come in all shapes and sizes. It’s not just a question of lockdown/no lockdown. 
 

I strongly believe that this one has been too severe and has gone on too long.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But lockdowns come in all shapes and sizes. It’s not just a question of lockdown/no lockdown. 
 

I strongly believe that this one has been too severe and has gone on too long.

You’ve got to pick one of those and stick with it, you can’t have both. A softer lockdown would have taken longer to bring infections down. A shorter lockdown would have needed Chinese style soldiers patrolling the streets not letting people out.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’ve got to pick one of those and stick with it, you can’t have both. A softer lockdown would have taken longer to bring infections down. A shorter lockdown would have needed Chinese style soldiers patrolling the streets not letting people out.

We don't know that. Schools, shops, even restaurants being open would not have made any difference. We have just had the most severe lockdown in the world and it's not over yet. How much of it was really necessary?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue. The three month lockdown can’t not have played a massive part in bringing down the number of infections. We know that, we saw it last spring with the first wave. We could have not locked down and the pandemic would have continued to grow exponentially for another couple of months, then eventually plateaued as a certain vaccination threshold was reached but that would have been disastrous. Hospitals were reaching capacity anyway with 40,000 Covid patients and some reporting low oxygen reserves.

 

Call me a sheep all you like, they have quite active, outdoors lifestyles, enjoying the countryside and breathing fresh air. I’ll take that over lying in a hospital bed gasping for air because they’ve run out of oxygen, like parts of India are now facing.

 

Not arguing more they are scant with vaccination info as clearly don’t want complacency and actively put out misinformation and made point of saying it was lockdown not vaccines bringing rates down. All evidence now (and then if they dared share) would indicate the vaccines work. Which is my point

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whelk said:

Not arguing more they are scant with vaccination info as clearly don’t want complacency and actively put out misinformation and made point of saying it was lockdown not vaccines bringing rates down. All evidence now (and then if they dared share) would indicate the vaccines work. Which is my point

At the time they said it, it WAS lockdown that brought the rates down - just like it did during lockdown 1 and 2.

Nobody is arguing that vaccines won't also be effective from now on (in fact that are saying they may now be more effective), they are just saying that lockdown was the most effective measure at the time - let's not forget that only a few thousand people had been vaccinated when it started, but tens of millions have been jabbed a few months later...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But lockdowns come in all shapes and sizes. It’s not just a question of lockdown/no lockdown. 
 

I strongly believe that this one has been too severe and has gone on too long.

Think Bozo is just being over-cautious because he fucked up first time round.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})