Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

The motivation for this match is easy: 

“Go out there and avenge the 9-0, fucking smash them”

And for the superstitious amongst you:
In the 1989/90 season, Crystal Palace lost 9-0 to Liverpool, they went on to avenge that result in the FA Cup Semi-Final, beating them 4-3, the winning goal on that day was scored by Alan Pardew - the last manager to lead Southampton to a Wembley Cup Final win.....

I’d say best draw to get too- I’d back us to give them a very good game if we have our full squad back (and hopefully Barnes/Maddison will be missing for them).

If we have all our attacking options back at least, plus with 5 subs- Ings/Adams/Armstrong/Redmond/Walcott/Djenepo/Tella - there’s potential for 3 positive subs to freshen things.

However, my biggest worry now is how the PL will **** over when it comes to rescheduling our Palace game, I just bloody hope it will be any midweek after the cup game. 

7 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

How many times have we drawn Utd? Seems like every other year.

Leicester will be a nice change anyway. Someone we haven't played at Wembley before.

We've been drawn against them 10 times. Including replays we've played 15 FA Cup games against Man United and won one of them. Even though I was at Wembley in 1976 for that, I'm glad we didn't get drawn against them again.

Leicester have been in 7 FA Cup semi-finals, the last one 39 years ago, so it really is a special occasion for their fans, many of whom have never seen their team in an FA Cup semi-final before. 

Just now, Dorchester Saint said:

In the 1989/90 season, Crystal Palace lost 9-0 to Liverpool, they went on to avenge that result in the FA Cup Semi-Final, beating them 4-3, the winning goal on that day was scored by Alan Pardew - the last manager to lead Southampton to a Wembley Cup Final win.....

We’ve beaten them since. 

To do a palace we needed Utd. 

• Matthew Le God changed the title to FA Cup Semi Final - Southampton vs Leicester City
6 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I’d say best draw to get too- I’d back us to give them a very good game if we have our full squad back (and hopefully Barnes/Maddison will be missing for them).

If we have all our attacking options back at least, plus with 5 subs- Ings/Adams/Armstrong/Redmond/Walcott/Djenepo/Tella - there’s potential for 3 positive subs to freshen things.

However, my biggest worry now is how the PL will **** over when it comes to rescheduling our Palace game, I just bloody hope it will be any midweek after the cup game. 

If they move our game to before the SF then they'll also have to move Leicester v West Brom

As we're due to play WBA on Monday 12th its questionable if they could squeeze the extra fixture in unless Thursday (if we play Sunday), or if our WBS match is brought forward to the weekend but that is probably already set in stone for tv purposes.

Edited by Badger

9 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We've been drawn against them 10 times. Including replays we've played 15 FA Cup games against Man United and won one of them. Even though I was at Wembley in 1976 for that, I'm glad we didn't get drawn against them again.

Leicester have been in 7 FA Cup semi-finals, the last one 39 years ago, so it really is a special occasion for their fans, many of whom have never seen their team in an FA Cup semi-final before. 

And still won't this season unfortunately.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Glad it wasn’t United again purely so we don’t have to put up with all the irrelevant 76 talk.

You are kidding right?

I'd rather that than the continuous loop of "Southampton were dealt a crushing 9-0 defeat back in October 2019 blahhhh"

Because we're going to suffer that throughout this entire fucking match.

That's why I'm going to be watching it on mute and tuning into Solent for the commentary.

They will be clear favourites and I doubt they will have trouble with motivation, plus no European football for them. 

Probably based on that the 2nd hardest of the all the options. Let's hope they have some crunch games to stay in the top 4 beforehand or drop off form like they did last year. 

F

Just now, JustinSFC said:

You are kidding right?

I'd rather that than the continuous loop of "Southampton were dealt a crushing 9-0 defeat back in October 2019 blahhhh"

That's why I'm going to be watching it on mute and tuning into Solent for the commentary.

Utd beat us 9 zip this season 🤔

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Both Saints and Leicester have got the draw each would have wanted.

Yep, every one would have wanted us and we’ve got probably the best draw although it remains to be seen if Chelsea’s form right now is just new manager bounce 

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

I reckon that most of the country will be behind us as the underdogs ....except for the neanderthals living in PO postcodes. 

I live in a PO postcode, Bognor Regis, and I am not a neanderthal nor are my other family and friends who are season ticket holders. 

Edited by gandalf
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

We’re capable of beating Leicester so will come down to the mentality of both teams on the day.

Hopefully we’ll have all our players back and in decent form going into it.

Bit of luck too. We’ve not had any yet, we’ve been the better team and fairly comfortable in our all games. Get a win or two in the league, bit of belief, good weeks training before with hopefully no game moved to the midweek before and give it a good go. 

53 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

You are kidding right?

I know, but as stated we avenged that defeat at the King Power whereas United smashed us only the last time we met by that same scoreline.

I know it sounds silly but I grow tired of everyone getting all misty eyed about 76 whenever we draw United in any of the cups. All it serves now is an embarrassing reminder that for a club of our size with some of the players that have come through all we’ve managed to achieve is one solitary major trophy in 135 years.

2 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We didn't lose to Leicester 9-0 this season (yet). 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I swear I've never looked at Skate forum and what a bitter bunch of wankers they are.

Some of those comments are pure hate.

I worked in Portsmouth years ago on Goldsmith Avenue and my boss there at the time was a proper Portsmouth fan, he was one of the main naughty boys, all the portsmouth mob used to come into our garage and I'll tell you what, every single one of them was sound to me and they all knew I was a scummer.

And trust me, my old boss was one of the main men, so it's actually quite difficult for me to spew that kind of hate towards them.

Edited by JustinSFC

Jesus christ the state of this one here:

"I couldn’t, I still cannot forgive Bobby Stokes, a Pompey lad scoring the winner to give them the only thing they have ever won. Karma, would be that little quisling coont Ward Prowse doing the same for them this year."