Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

20 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Does anyone still think we should bin this off in case it affects us finishing in the bottom three? 

Yes 100%. I’m convinced we’re going down unless we throw the game. finals are meaningless unless we stay up.

Edited by Turkish

Just out for my morning run, as I headed down a long stretch coming off a footbridge over a stream and the iPhone shuffle moved seamlessly from Pulp to Squeeze I noticed a small object laying at the side of the road. As I approached closer the lifeless body has a number of large patches of RED substance on it and round it, I soon realised the broken object laying battered and lifeless was a FOX.

it’s our year 

• Haha 4

It's nice to feel wanted at times and the quarter final teams must all have wanted Southampton in the semi. Having watched Leicester take a woeful Man U apart last night 😄 it will be a very difficult game but this is the FA Cup so who knows. One thing you can be sure of is that the commentators won't hold back reminding us of THAT result over and over again.

10 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Man Utd really missed their box-to-box guy today who creates most chances for them - the twat with a fucking whistle and no grasp of card use.

Sad to see them get knocked out, but I'd got over it by the end of injury time.

👍

Their star scorer Pen must have been injured as well. How they are 2nd in the League is a mystery to me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

So Ings then, would you bin him off for the semi, and then final if we get there, he's clearly shown where his loyalty is and his loss of form could easily be attributed to a lack of interest/keeping himself fit for his move. 

Absolutely not. Even half hearted, he’s miles more likely to create something than our other options. 

He’s had a poor season, but an FA cup final goal / performance may encourage a big club to come in for him as he wants. 

11 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Does anyone still think we should bin this off in case it affects us finishing in the bottom three? 

Well if we win the two games before the Semi, which there are no excuses not to (Burnley @ Home and WBA away), then we're safe. Can then give the semi 100%. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Absolutely not. Even half hearted, he’s miles more likely to create something than our other options. 

He’s had a poor season, but an FA cup final goal / performance may encourage a big club to come in for him as he wants. 

you don't think tottenham have already had a word with him then, which is why his performances have gone downhill

1 minute ago, Millbrook Saint said:

you don't think tottenham have already had a word with him then, which is why his performances have gone downhill

I’m sure he’s been in discussions with many clubs, including Leicester and a Manchester club (which I know for sure has happened). 

Wether that will lead to a bid or not, is yet to be seen. I’ll be amazed if he is still here come the start of next season though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

So Ings then, would you bin him off for the semi, and then final if we get there, he's clearly shown where his loyalty is and his loss of form could easily be attributed to a lack of interest/keeping himself fit for his move. 

I don't know what move Danny is going to get or thinks he's going to get.

He's about to turn 29. 

His injury record is at least 2 decent injuries a season.

BUT...

He's a very good CF. 

But top 6 teams have their pick of "very good CF's" and I don't think they're going to pick Ings unless we're selling him cheap as in £10m or something.

It's rumoured we want a £40m buyout clause, we're not getting that in a million years, I don't think we'd get £20m and if £20m was offered given his age and injuries I'd snap their arm off.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

You think that being a Southampton lad and playing in a Semi Final would come above any conspiracy bollocks you seem to be fascinated with. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

I’m sure he’s been in discussions with many clubs, including Leicester and a Manchester club (which I know for sure has happened). 

Wether that will lead to a bid or not, is yet to be seen. I’ll be amazed if he is still here come the start of next season though. 

If we win the Cup  does that mean we will qualify for the Champions League and then satisfy Ings to stay put (unless he wants more money from another club?

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

If we win the Cup  does that mean we will qualify for the Champions League and then satisfy Ings to stay put (unless he wants more money from another club?

If we win the cup we’ll qualify for the europa league, not champions league. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

SKD, what elements are you satisfied with Saints currently? I m curious

12 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Because your every post on here is somewhat negative.

So I ask again, what elements are you satisfied about the club currently?

So having the opinion that Ings wants to leave, despite the factual evidence that he’s not yet signed a bumper, record (for us) contract which has been on the table for the last 6 months, is negative? 

But to answer your question. A lot to be worried about the club at the moment, but key headlines are:

1. Current form. It’s relegation form, if we carry this on into next season, we’re in big trouble. I don’t want Ralph sacked, I want him to turn it around, but it is a cause for concern. 
2. Finances. Our Financial results are appalling. For our business model (being sustainable) to be achieved, our current situation is a concern. It’ll impact the transfer window which will ultimately lead to us struggling to compete. 
3. The squad size and ability. It’s not very good and point 2 adds to this as a concern. 
4. Ownership. It’s clear the owner wants out and is doing the bare minimum to keep us afloat. 

That being said, the current board are doing a very good job with what they’ve got at their disposal imo. 

Despite how disappointing the second half to this season has been, it’s good we’re still in the PL for another season and obviously a FA cup semi final is good for the club (however it means nothing if we lose). 

I think we’re heading, or at least trying, in the right direction. I like the ‘playbook’ idea and our recent transfer activity, I think this will prove its worth in 2-3 seasons (let’s hope it’s not too late then). But until we’re taken over, we’re going to be in a horrible cycle of having our hands tied. 

Edited by SKD
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, SKD said:

So having the opinion that Ings wants to leave, despite the factual evidence that he’s not yet signed a bumper, record (for us) contract which has been on the table for the last 6 months, is negative? 

But to answer your question. A lot to be worried about the club at the moment, but key headlines are:

1. Current form. It’s relegation form, if we carry this on into next season, we’re in big trouble. I don’t want Ralph sacked, I want him to turn it around, but it is a cause for concern. 
2. Finances. Our Financial results are appalling. For our business model (being sustainable) to be achieved, our current situation is a concern. It’ll impact the transfer window which will ultimately lead to us struggling to compete. 
3. The squad size and ability. It’s not very good and point 2 adds to this as a concern. 
4. Ownership. It’s clear the owner wants out and is doing the bare minimum to keep us afloat. 

That being said, the current board are doing a very good job with what they’ve got at their disposal imo. 

Despite how disappointing the second half to this season has been, it’s good we’re still in the PL for another season and obviously a FA cup semi final is good for the club (however it means nothing if we lose). 

I think we’re heading, or at least trying, in the right direction. I like the ‘playbook’ idea and our recent transfer activity, I think this will prove its worth in 2-3 seasons (let’s hope it’s not too late then). But until we’re taken over, we’re going to be in a horrible cycle of having our hands tied. 

Guess we could compare ourselves to Newcastle (current form is shitty, finances are bad, squad size is limited, owners want out)

I'm happier with our lot that's for sure

- Recent form includes a few games ravaged by injuries and suspensions, next few games look much better for us re 1st teamers back

- Our finances seem similar to the past 50 years or so (were we ever flush? maybe only for a few days after selling VvD ?)

- Squad size isn't too bad: couple of back up full backs and a midfielder away from decent (fair enough we need at least 10-25million for that)

- Owner is (seems) invisible rather than an embrassement 

COYS

Edited by ButtikonSaint

30 minutes ago, ButtikonSaint said:

- Our finances seem similar to the past 50 years or so (were we ever flush? maybe only for a few days after selling VvD ?)

Well doubt that.

Thought it was revealed Liverpool signed him in installements and that still isn't finished.

That deal really should have been cash in full.

Fucked us around, tapped him up then let them sign him in installments.

I thought that was a fucking shambles.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

Well doubt that.

Thought it was revealed Liverpool signed him in installements and that still isn't finished.

Fucked us around, tapped him up then let them sign him in installments.

I thought that was a fucking shambles.

I don't think there are any transfers (or any transactions) of that scale that would be paid in one go. 

And we got a world record fee for a defender.

I think your expectations need a bit of management.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think there are any transfers (or any transactions) of that scale that would be paid in one go. 

True but considering what happened we should have made an exception.

I don't know what's true and what isn't but showing VVD round houses, meeting Klopp in hotel rooms, offering him terms while under contract and if even half of that's true we should have said the whole lot in one go.

I'm probably dreaming but I was fuming at the whole thing.

This is taking the thread right off topic though.

25 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

True but considering what happened we should have made an exception.

I don't know what's true and what isn't but showing VVD round houses, meeting Klopp in hotel rooms, offering him terms while under contract and if even half of that's true we should have said the whole lot in one go.

I'm probably dreaming but I was fuming at the whole thing.

This is taking the thread right off topic though.

Didn't we even make Liverpool issue a statement saying the are ending their interest in him 🤣

They probably had to do it to avoid further punishment, anyone able to find that? 

33 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Well doubt that.

Why does it matter? Most transfers are paid in installments. Saints are guaranteed the cash and can spend it regardless on players also on installments.

42 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty sure they paid nearly all the Mane fee up front although that is definitely a rarity for any big transfers. 

5 hours ago, SKD said:

SSN are now reporting that City are interested in signing him this summer. 

But according to Stevy I’m just negative and hate the club LOL. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

SSN are now reporting that City are interested in signing him this summer. 

But according to Stevy I’m just negative and hate the club LOL. 

Can't say there was anything in your post to argue with. 

I didn't like your analogy with Newcastle. Not that it wasn't spot on. I just didn't like it😯

I think the season has to be looked at as a whole. In November we looked world beaters, now we look terrible. However if we gain a few points soon, it will simply be an average season.

The inconvenient truth is that either the club is bought soon, or this decline will continue.

29 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Pretty sure they paid nearly all the Mane fee up front although that is definitely a rarity for any big transfers. 

Of all the players that left that one was the most galling.

Especially considering Sissoko went for the same money in the same window.

6 hours ago, SKD said:

Is  this another of your "definitely" happened statements 🤣

Remind us all how the other one went ...... lol

5 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Is  this another of your "definitely" happened statements 🤣

Remind us all how the other one went ...... lol

Hi Always. Back to your usual tricks again and still using that same boring comment. 

Glasgow isn’t here, so you’re gunning for me this time. Be careful, you might get yourself banned again. I wonder what the next username will be. 

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Cheers for that. Can’t say I disagree to much with that. Not sure what we can do about point 2 given that all clubs will suffer somewhat given the current set of circumstances.

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

Cheers for that. Can’t say I disagree to much with that. Not sure what we can do about point 2 given that all clubs will suffer somewhat given the current set of circumstances.

Nope, totally agree. 

Not sure it’s the clubs fault and I think taking the loan is probably the sensible thing to do. The issue is we are pretty much up against it to have a good transfer window stay every summer to stay in the league each season anyway, this current year will add additional pressure to that (I guess you could argue that is the same for everyone). 

All in all, I think it’s disappointing we never kicked on from the poch/koeman years where we built a solid foundation and we find ourselves where we are now. 

The comparison to Newcastle is an interesting and fair one. (Bringing it back on topic) It leaves a bitter taste in the mouth looking at Leicester, who are a similar sized club with a similar business strategy.

They’ve reinvested pretty well and added a bit on top to get where they are, where as we had 2/3 catastrophic years with 0 additional investment and find ourselves struggling. There is no reason why we couldn’t have been Leicester. 

Personally, I think Leicester would be a good bet to lift the cup. 

Agree with the bitter taste, however If we lose to them, I'd hope they win it...

Can't really stand Vardy but the rest of the team, manager and supporters are pretty decent. Big difference to us, in the past few years at least (apart from actually winning something pretty big) is that they sold very well (Maguire, chillwell, kante, drinkwater, mahrez) and replaced by what seems to be as good if not better at a profit (Soyuncu, Maddison, Fofana, Ndidi, Tielemans, Castagne, Justin...) I'd have them in our line up any day of week). 

Unsure if they managed to get these replacements because they could offer better salary / signing-on fees, euro competition  or recent success but we're certainly not in the same playing field anymore... Guess having an (family) owner that actually seems to care probably helps a lot.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Hi Always. Back to your usual tricks again and still using that same boring comment. 

Glasgow isn’t here, so you’re gunning for me this time. Be careful, you might get yourself banned again. I wonder what the next username will be. 

Its not a boring comment is it it's just you try to get some kind of recognition as an in the know poster and now trying to get me banned by claiming I'm someone else, how pathetic is that.

Posting an opinion is exactly what this place is about but trying to mislead people with made up stuff is just annoying people for the sake of it, why you don't is odd.

Ings will probably go and we all accept that but to try and make out you know what he has been up serves what purpose,? post your opinion and don't try and make it to be fact as you have know idea.

Just to be clear,i am not who you claim I am, it's just you making stuff up again because you don't like me calling you out.... get a life mate

At least we cannot do a Middleborough and lose two finals and get relegated in a season. A few more points and we are safe. Worried for next season if this continues, if we come home with a cup and not flirting with relegation then its a good season. All teams in a similar position to us will struggle for resources next year, which will cause interesting decisions. Hopefully if we did win and get a European adventure we will give it a go, not use the games as mid week rests, a bit of extra money from it could make all the difference.

11 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Its not a boring comment is it it's just you try to get some kind of recognition as an in the know poster and now trying to get me banned by claiming I'm someone else, how pathetic is that.

Posting an opinion is exactly what this place is about but trying to mislead people with made up stuff is just annoying people for the sake of it, why you don't is odd.

Ings will probably go and we all accept that but to try and make out you know what he has been up serves what purpose,? post your opinion and don't try and make it to be fact as you have know idea.

Just to be clear,i am not who you claim I am, it's just you making stuff up again because you don't like me calling you out.... get a life mate

You’ve come at me a couple of times now, saying the same boring comment from 2017, that your old username used to also post. You claim to have been reading for a number of years and conveniently sign up the same day as that usernames last post. 

What I posted about Bertrand leaving, was at the time true. We changed managers, he then was persuaded to stay. He’s been miserable and not been the same Player since. We should have let him walk a few years back. 

Im not trying to mislead people, I post what I get told. Take it with a pinch of salt. Im Fortunate enough to know some people through the work that I do. I couldn’t give 2 shits about wanting recognition from some people on the internet I’ll never meet (and in your case never want to meet). 

If you don’t like what I post, block me or ignore it you odd ball. Stop doing what your previous account used to and cause an argument in every thread and let the grown ups discuss the football 👍🏻

Edited by SKD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Agree with the bitter taste, however If we lose to them, I'd hope they win it...

Can't really stand Vardy but the rest of the team, manager and supporters are pretty decent. Big difference to us, in the past few years at least (apart from actually winning something pretty big) is that they sold very well (Maguire, chillwell, kante, drinkwater, mahrez) and replaced by what seems to be as good if not better at a profit (Soyuncu, Maddison, Fofana, Ndidi, Tielemans, Castagne, Justin...) I'd have them in our line up any day of week). 

Unsure if they managed to get these replacements because they could offer better salary / signing-on fees, euro competition  or recent success but we're certainly not in the same playing field anymore... Guess having an (family) owner that actually seems to care probably helps a lot.

Its the last point most definitely for me. They have owners who genuinely give a shit.

30 minutes ago, SKD said:

You’ve come at me a couple of times now, saying the same boring comment from 2017, that your old username used to also post. You claim to have been reading for a number of years and conveniently sign up the same day as that usernames last post. 

What I posted about Bertrand leaving, was at the time true. We changed managers, he then was persuaded to stay. He’s been miserable and not been the same Player since. We should have let him walk a few years back. 

Im not trying to mislead people, I post what I get told. Take it with a pinch of salt. Im Fortunate enough to know some people through the work that I do. I couldn’t give 2 shits about wanting recognition from some people on the internet I’ll never meet (and in your case never want to meet). 

If you don’t like what I post, block me or ignore it you odd ball. Stop doing what your previous account used to and cause an argument in every thread and let the grown ups discuss the football 👍🏻

🤣 I'm done on the subject but you crack on with your obsession about who you think I am, if it makes you happy 😴

I feel sorry for you so will leave it there

3 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

I don't get this "It's a one off game, anyone can win". Isn't every game a one off?.

They are a good side and we will have to play out of our skin to beat them.

From what I listened to on talksport yesterday and today, according to more than one of their presenters,  Leicester have already got to the final.  None of them give us a prayer of beating them, it's a forgone conclusion, we are that insignificant, apparently. 

8 hours ago, Micky said:

From what I listened to on talksport yesterday and today, according to more than one of their presenters,  Leicester have already got to the final.  None of them give us a prayer of beating them, it's a forgone conclusion, we are that insignificant, apparently. 

I listened to the draw on 5live, they kept saying "no disrespect to Southampton,  but" then went on to basically say the winners of the Leicester v Man Utd game were virtually in the final 

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

I listened to the draw on 5live, they kept saying "no disrespect to Southampton,  but" then went on to basically say the winners of the Leicester v Man Utd game were virtually in the final 

I noticed that too. Leicester are good but not great side and very beatable if we show up and get a bit of luck. However history shows most of these occasions usually end up in a plucky defeat and we get no luck, hopefully that changes next month