Jump to content

10 years ago today. JPT final


Recommended Posts

What a great day out at Wembley. 44,000 painting Wembley red and white. Marcus, (RIP,) taking photos of us fans. Saints picking up a trophy at Wembley.  Great memories. 

Hopefully to be repeated next month, just not so many of us fans there !!

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Such an insignificant cup but at the time felt huge. It really was the new era of the club. A very likeable group of players. 
 

A great day, at no point did I have any doubt we’d win. 
 

That game and the Fonte goal game against Brighton the following season, my 2 most favourable games from L1. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Such an insignificant cup but at the time felt huge. It really was the new era of the club. A very likeable group of players. 
 

A great day, at no point did I have any doubt we’d win. 
 

That game and the Fonte goal game against Brighton the following season, my 2 most favourable games from L1. 

Indeed , an insignificant trophy but after the previous few years of relegation , administration,  it was the glimpse of light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 64saint said:

What a great day out at Wembley. 44,000 painting Wembley red and white. Marcus, (RIP,) taking photos of us fans. Saints picking up a trophy at Wembley.  Great memories. 

Hopefully to be repeated next month, just not so many of us fans there !!

Bloody hell a decade ago, frightening.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 64saint said:

What a great day out at Wembley. 44,000 painting Wembley red and white. Marcus, (RIP,) taking photos of us fans. Saints picking up a trophy at Wembley.  Great memories. 

Hopefully to be repeated next month, just not so many of us fans there !!

11 Years ago FFS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 64saint said:

Wonder if our Chinese owner Mr Gao will be at Wembley if\when we reach the cup final with his instamatic.🙄

I hope you are not encouraging our owner to breach Covid rules

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was estimated 50k Saints fans taking into account club Wembley purchased etc, surely a record for number of Saints fans in attendance for a single game, I doubt that will ever be beaten either. 

You look at some of the players who featured we had a good side for that level, 

 

Kelvin Davis, Dan Harding, José Fonte, Radhi Jaidi (Chris Perry 90), Joseph Mills, Michail Antonio, Paul Wotton (David Connolly 84), Dean Hammond (c), Adam Lallana, Papa Waigo N’diaye (Simon Gillett 75), Rickie Lambert. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JRM said:

There was estimated 50k Saints fans taking into account club Wembley purchased etc, surely a record for number of Saints fans in attendance for a single game, I doubt that will ever be beaten either. 

You look at some of the players who featured we had a good side for that level, 

 

Kelvin Davis, Dan Harding, José Fonte, Radhi Jaidi (Chris Perry 90), Joseph Mills, Michail Antonio, Paul Wotton (David Connolly 84), Dean Hammond (c), Adam Lallana, Papa Waigo N’diaye (Simon Gillett 75), Rickie Lambert. 

Why didn’t Schniderlin play? I can’t remember. Two future England internationals, a European championship winner with Portugal, a very good premier league player with West Ham. How we never won the league one Title is criminal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why didn’t Schniderlin play? I can’t remember. Two future England internationals, a European championship winner with Portugal, a very good premier league player with West Ham. How we never won the league one Title is criminal. 

Yep. Tarnishes Adkins reputation a bit for me. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we should have won both of those divisions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely over 50,000 Saints fans there
Crowd was 75,000 and Carlisle only sold 17,000 tickets, which to be fair wasnt a bad effort as Sunday trains from the area were sparse and coaches had to leave about 5am to get to Wembley in time.
If you looked round the stadium it seemed as though Saints fans had taken up the vast majority of the stadium and looking at the figures, Saints fan could have made up the 58,000 difference.
There were somewhere in the region of 120 coaches which went up from the area, all that could be found on the day and the trains to Waterloo were rammed.
Understand quite a few fans caught trains going east terminating at Victoria.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why didn’t Schniderlin play? I can’t remember. Two future England internationals, a European championship winner with Portugal, a very good premier league player with West Ham. How we never won the league one Title is criminal. 

Perhaps would have won the league had Nigel had a full season. We had lost three league games by the time we brought him in, then lost a fourth in his very first game after just 2 or 3 days with the team. The form towards the end of the season was amazing, 13 wins and 1 draw from the final 15. We lost the league by 3 points and had a better goal difference. Given Adkins had no pre season with the team, I thought he did very well. But, yeah, to be fair, that team was way above anything else at that level at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Perhaps would have won the league had Nigel had a full season. We had lost three league games by the time we brought him in, then lost a fourth in his very first game after just 2 or 3 days with the team. The form towards the end of the season was amazing, 13 wins and 1 draw from the final 15. We lost the league by 3 points and had a better goal difference. Given Adkins had no pre season with the team, I thought he did very well. But, yeah, to be fair, that team was way above anything else at that level at the time.

Yes it’s all coming back now. We lost the first game of the season 1-0 home to Plymouth who we then relegated to win promotion down at their place. Pardew went after a 4-0 away win then we lost 3 in a row I think under the caretakers before Adkins came in. You’re probably right had Adkins has the whole season we’d have won it. That’s got to be one of the best teams to ever play in league one looking at Lambert, Lallana, Schniderlin, Fonte etc went onto. The core of that team went onto become top premier league players, didn’t even Hammond win the championship with Leicester?

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus Jaidi who had played well at PL level for a few years, and Danny Butterfield had played PL and Championship for years. Puncheon was there too. And it was three future England stars: lambert, Lallana and Oxlade. Chaplow had played higher level too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those years were the most exciting I've had supporting this club. Some great away days, breaking records all the time. It was such good fun, only have good memories of those years. What makes it even better is how that core came up and then finished in the top half of the top league as well. Love stories like that, probably won't happen again in my lifetime. 

Don't forget Guly! Whilst he split opinion, he was too good for L1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The championship season eclipsed the league 1 season imo, were we not in the top 2 all season?

Fantastic stuff, i remember being at Millwall away and being 2 -1 down in dying minutes and then Lambert scored 2 pens, the natives were`nt happy and after the coaches being let out after an hour the first one out had its rear window bricked in if i remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Why didn’t Schniderlin play? I can’t remember. Two future England internationals, a European championship winner with Portugal, a very good premier league player with West Ham. How we never won the league one Title is criminal. 

Schneiderlin was injured if I recall correctly. 
 

Was a great day, remember going from that on the Sunday to a Thursday night game at the Withdean. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why didn’t Schniderlin play? I can’t remember. Two future England internationals, a European championship winner with Portugal, a very good premier league player with West Ham. How we never won the league one Title is criminal. 

Always felt NA got a bit of a free ride here as anyone could have got that team promoted. A good manager would have won that league and the Championship as well with the squad we had. 

JPT was a good for us as some positivity after the years of crap sliding down the leagues. Remember watching it on my phone with a dodgy connection in Hong Kong. Shame I wasn't in Perth at the time as have a good friend who supports Carlisle, could have had some decent bants.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving up the M3 with a car full with flags also billowing from all the cars around us. A magical day with the family's first visit to  the new Wembley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Turkish said:

You’re probably right had Adkins has the whole season we’d have won it.

He basically did. Adkins started off 7 points behind Brighton and finished 3 behind. He also lost the Championship title by half a point (i.e. with a massively better GD) and beat a much more expensive West Ham squad in the process.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Just a small point but it was 2010, that's 11 years ago. Where is MLG when you need him.

Oops, apologies for getting it wrong in the title.  Seems I have lost a year of my life then. 😂😂😂

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Definitely over 50,000 Saints fans there
Crowd was 75,000 and Carlisle only sold 17,000 tickets, which to be fair wasnt a bad effort as Sunday trains from the area were sparse and coaches had to leave about 5am to get to Wembley in time.
If you looked round the stadium it seemed as though Saints fans had taken up the vast majority of the stadium and looking at the figures, Saints fan could have made up the 58,000 difference.
There were somewhere in the region of 120 coaches which went up from the area, all that could be found on the day and the trains to Waterloo were rammed.
Understand quite a few fans caught trains going east terminating at Victoria.
 

Those of us who live on the east of the South Island travelled from Ryde.  It was early on the Sunday morning and on the ferry north it was party-time. On arriving at Portsmouth Harbour train station we took over a carriage and bedecked it in red-and-white. A Special Cheer went up for the three or four fans who joined the train at Fratton. At every station on the way to Waterloo more Saints fans joined and by the time we arrived at the terminal we were quite a gathering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We arrived at our local station at 8am. Normally on a Sunday you'd be lucky if there was one person waiting at that time.  Thought we'd catch the early train.  There must have been 500 people on the platform decked out in red and white. By the time we got to Basingstoke there wasn't even standing room and this was the early train !!!  Knew then it was going to be a memorable day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there were quite a few cruise passengers both from the Uk and abroad were amazed to see all the trains to London full of 'socca' people from a relatively small English city clad in red and white.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 64saint said:

We arrived at our local station at 8am. Normally on a Sunday you'd be lucky if there was one person waiting at that time.  Thought we'd catch the early train.  There must have been 500 people on the platform decked out in red and white. By the time we got to Basingstoke there wasn't even standing room and this was the early train !!!  Knew then it was going to be a memorable day.

We tried to get the early train from Eastleigh.  When it turned up it was so full we couldn't get on.  A bit of the wait for the next train; same story.  By this point people were getting calls from mates at Southampton Central letting them know how many people were still waiting there.  Nervousness started spreading and some were even getting quotes from taxis on the rank to get up to London. 

Luckily for us someone in a group stood by us had a lightbulb moment of "trains go to London from Portsmouth don't they?".

We turned straight around on to the platform behind and jumped on the next train to Skatesville.  This led to about 30-50 saints fans, fully decked out in red & white, milling around Fratton station waiting for the next train to London.  Worth it just for the looks on the faces of the people getting off trains on the other platforms!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t want to depress anyone, but it was actually 11 years ago. Time flies when you’re having fun!
 

This was a golden era that will live in the memory for a long time😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to piss in a plastic bottle while sat in a car full of people on the way home because I was absolutely hammered and we were stuck in traffic. 

Great memories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I had to piss in a plastic bottle while sat in a car full of people on the way home because I was absolutely hammered and we were stuck in traffic. 

Great memories.

I guess some people's great memories differ from others......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very happy memories of sitting there watching Saints 4-0 up on my birthday thinking this was the start of our upward trajectory.

Carlisle fans that I met on the day were all really decent.  Must have been quite daunting for them seeing so many Saints supporters there (so much so that I think us winning seemed inevitable).

Hopefully in 10 years time we'll be looking back on our 2021 FA Cup triumph 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Very happy memories of sitting there watching Saints 4-0 up on my birthday thinking this was the start of our upward trajectory.

Carlisle fans that I met on the day were all really decent.  Must have been quite daunting for them seeing so many Saints supporters there (so much so that I think us winning seemed inevitable).

Hopefully in 10 years time we'll be looking back on our 2021 FA Cup triumph 🙂

Spot the difference !

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Delmary said:

Don’t want to depress anyone, but it was actually 11 years ago. Time flies when you’re having fun!
 

This was a golden era that will live in the memory for a long time😀

Yep, I've already apologies for the title and losing a year of my life !!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2021 at 17:53, Daft Kerplunk said:

What a day! Was significant because it confirmed we were on our way back to where we belonged. What football was all about. 

I always felt the day we were back was when we recruited David Chell from Manchester city as our new head of corporate sales In 2011. That was a real statement of intent and showed everyone we were building A sustainable club with solid foundations. Whilst a cup was nice To attract corporate sales managers of this calibre said to me we were back and that the club had finally realized it wasn’t just what happened on the pitch But that our strategy off the pitch was aligned to long term success too. It created jobs and increased our non match day revenue. A great moment in this clubs history. 

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

Marked the beginning of our 'golden age'. 2010-2016. Some of the best years to be a Southampton fan. Count yourself lucky if you were there.

Edited by Disco Stu
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Turkish said:

I always felt the day we were back was when we recruited David Chell from Manchester city as our new head of corporate sales In 2011. That was a real statement of intent and showed everyone we were building A sustainable club with solid foundations. Whilst a cup was nice To attract corporate sales managers of this calibre said to me we were back and that the club had finally realized it wasn’t just what happened on the pitch But that our strategy off the pitch was aligned to long term success too. It created jobs and increased our non match day revenue. A great moment in this clubs history. 

On this upbeat thread about good memories, why you have to post such sarcastic garbage is a mystery 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Club Wembley with my son next to a table with Melvyn Bragg and a group of Carlisle supporters.  Had a chat with him; decent bloke.  After the game they had ordered drinks to their table for post-match refreshment but didn't turn up - obviously slunk back north with tails firmly between legs.  Somebody had to consume the drinks so we happily obliged.  The team came up to collect trophy through the spectators; I was at the end of the row so clapped them all on the back and shook Nigel's hand.  Terrific day out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2021 at 14:09, oracle saint said:

I was in Club Wembley with my son next to a table with Melvyn Bragg and a group of Carlisle supporters.  Had a chat with him; decent bloke.  After the game they had ordered drinks to their table for post-match refreshment but didn't turn up - obviously slunk back north with tails firmly between legs.  Somebody had to consume the drinks so we happily obliged.  The team came up to collect trophy through the spectators; I was at the end of the row so clapped them all on the back and shook Nigel's hand.  Terrific day out.

Should have a 'Melvyn Bragg bought me a pint' commemorative t-shirt made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taking a school football tour in Malta and couldn't get anyone to take my place, so sat in my hotel room 'watching' it on Teletext......probably lacked some of the excitement by comparison......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})