Jump to content

Theo signing permanently?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

On a free transfer, 2 year deal, with obviously wages the club are comfortable with and an ability to play up front or as a no10 its a low risk deal.

I don't see it as low risk, low cost maybe. Awarding a two year contract to an out of form player on the wrong side of 30 is nuts, IMO.  

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure he's done enough to show that he has it, for me. Loses the ball far too easily, which is a major problem given our style. Not especially quick any more. Not great end product. Doesn't score enough goals. Nice bloke, though. But is that enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DT said:

I'm not sure he's done enough to show that he has it, for me. Loses the ball far too easily, which is a major problem given our style. Not especially quick any more. Not great end product. Doesn't score enough goals. Nice bloke, though. But is that enough?

No, but it seems to have held sway with the fans and club alike, the whole thing feels overly sentimental to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are forgetting that he was playing well in the first few months of the season and we were on form. Direct, quick and making things happen. We seem to have lost a bit of that, and I think he's only just getting back up to speed after a while out. He's always been a bit of a form player, but sounds like he has a good influence on the squad, and dont see any issue in keeping him around. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the issue would be his wages keeping a good, young player from coming through either from within or elsewhere, given the binary nature of things. If we can have both, great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Walcott would be a decent free transfer, before his injury he was doing alright for us.

I can see him becoming more of a squad player than regular starter, but that's fine with me.

He's an upgrade on Long now, and his influence on the younger players should be helpful. Makes sense for the club to utilise him as much as possible with the Academy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Walcott would be a decent free transfer, before his injury he was doing alright for us.

I can see him becoming more of a squad player than regular starter, but that's fine with me.

He's an upgrade on Long now, and his influence on the younger players should be helpful. Makes sense for the club to utilise him as much as possible with the Academy.

He’s 32, we’re going to be saying a lot more, "but before he was injured..." if we keep him. Being a ‘squad player’ just means he isn’t really good enough, we’ve got plenty of squad filler we’re trying to get rid of. If we want to stay up we need to bring in someone who’s actually better than Minamino, Djenepo or Redmond.

 

Long is out of his depth in the Championship these days, that’s scarcely an endorsement, although a year ago plenty of people were saying the same about him too. What a great lad he was to have around the dressing room etc. I’m not sure in what way you think he’s going to benefit academy players, either. Teaching them to charge full speed into tackles or how to completely fluff a one on one, they seem to be his specialities. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lighthouse said:

He’s 32, we’re going to be saying a lot more, "but before he was injured..." if we keep him. Being a ‘squad player’ just means he isn’t really good enough, we’ve got plenty of squad filler we’re trying to get rid of. If we want to stay up we need to bring in someone who’s actually better than Minamino, Djenepo or Redmond.

 

Long is out of his depth in the Championship these days, that’s scarcely an endorsement, although a year ago plenty of people were saying the same about him too. What a great lad he was to have around the dressing room etc. I’m not sure in what way you think he’s going to benefit academy players, either. Teaching them to charge full speed into tackles or how to completely fluff a one on one, they seem to be his specialities. 

For me, his best days are gone, but he started well for us and added something to the team.  Although I thought he was our worst player against Liverpool, I think he's finding his way back after a spell out. 

The Long comparison is unfair. Very different players in their prime, and very different now. 

On balance, I'm happy that he'll be around the place next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dusic said:

On a free transfer, 2 year deal, with obviously wages the club are comfortable with and an ability to play up front or as a no10 its a low risk deal.

Yeah, exactly how I see it. £5m or so over 2 years, is pretty logical for us, given a replacement will be £20m+ Inc wages over the same period. Clearly he’s also offering something else around the club that the club sees as a benefit too.

No brainer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s 32, we’re going to be saying a lot more, "but before he was injured..." if we keep him. Being a ‘squad player’ just means he isn’t really good enough, we’ve got plenty of squad filler we’re trying to get rid of. If we want to stay up we need to bring in someone who’s actually better than Minamino, Djenepo or Redmond.

 

Long is out of his depth in the Championship these days, that’s scarcely an endorsement, although a year ago plenty of people were saying the same about him too. What a great lad he was to have around the dressing room etc. I’m not sure in what way you think he’s going to benefit academy players, either. Teaching them to charge full speed into tackles or how to completely fluff a one on one, they seem to be his specialities. 

Walcott is a great lad to have in and around the treatment table, he's great for keeping the young injured players' heads up with his experience and stuff. That said he's basically a busted flush as a footballer and I really hope the rumours of us already having tied up a deal for him are 100% innacurate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He was shit against Liverpool but he’s had some decent games for us this season. Wether he’s worth a new contract obviously depends on the cost, our budget and alternative options. I would rather see the back of Redmond than Walcott TBH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He was shit against Liverpool but he’s had some decent games for us this season. Wether he’s worth a new contract obviously depends on the cost, our budget and alternative options. I would rather see the back of Redmond than Walcott TBH.

Pretty decent thought.

Redmond has resale value now, and Theo on a free. I'd imagine wages could be similar, maybe Theo now cheaper.

They're about as good as one another, so wouldn't be the worst deal ever for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aintforever said:

He was shit against Liverpool but he’s had some decent games for us this season. Wether he’s worth a new contract obviously depends on the cost, our budget and alternative options. I would rather see the back of Redmond than Walcott TBH.

Wow you seriously think Redmond is worse than Theo??? Redmond has his faults (trying to do too much on his own) but he was on another level to Walcott at Liverpool 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LordHester said:

Interesting that Tella made a be-line for Walcott after he’d scored his first goal on Saturday. You’d suspect there’s some degree of coaching/mentoring in his role at Saints.

He'd be a very well paid coach if that is where they assess his value.

We seem to have gone through a bit of a strategic shift in recruitment, it wasn't long ago we seemed to be targeting very young players. I don't have a problem with the change in strategy, there were times when we could do with a war horse CB, CM and CF.

I wasn't in favour of signing Theo, but don't really have an issue with it either, welcome aboard Theo.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good move, as an option from the bench and a mentor for the younger players.

Don't think he was/is intended as a starter.

Would be nice to move on one of Djenepo/Redmond and get another #10 in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been hard having to keep this one quiet until the official announcement! 😁 Glad it's all sorted. The whole family is relieved, especially after the year we've all had we didn't want Theo disappearing somewhere up north again. Mel can sleep easy again now bless her.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the finances are weighted towards bonuses and him playing. As a club who’s skint, we can’t afford a below average player on what I’m guessing are 60-70k+ a week. We have more than enough of those already. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LordHester said:

Interesting that Tella made a be-line for Walcott after he’d scored his first goal on Saturday. You’d suspect there’s some degree of coaching/mentoring in his role at Saints.

Thought the same. He could be a useful figure for the younger ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never under estimate the importance in having senior players who have played at the highest level and the impact they have on the dressing room.

This signing will be as much about his impact off the pitch as it will on it.

Theo (in a professional non playing capacity) is representative of everything this club should and does stand for. His contribution in the early part of the season was a massive part of that great run to the top of the premier league, he (like other players) had suffered because of our lack of squad depth and inability to rotate when his form dipped.

It's a good signing, he's a solid premier league player and a huge assist off the field.

 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Never under estimate the importance in having senior players who have played at the highest level and the impact they have on the dressing room.

This signing will be as much about his impact off the pitch as it will on it.

Theo (in a professional non playing capacity) is representative of everything this club should and does stand for. His contribution in the early part of the season was a massive part of that great run to the top of the premier league, he (like other players) had suffered because of our lack of squad depth and inability to rotate when his form dipped.

It's a good signing, he's a solid premier league player and a huge assist off the field.

 

This! Sounds like he's been really positive for us off the pitch and I for one am really pleased with this.

A lot of our success in the 80's was built on having great / experienced players around. You do wonder if that helped the conveyor belt of youth that emerged in the early 90's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is good news. He still has a lot of skill and speed but, most importantly, wants to be here. We see so much moaning about mercenary players just looking for the biggest pay cheque, off at the first opportunity to a bigger club (and, yes, I know Theo did exactly that).  But now he wants to be here for whatever reason (probably family) when he could still very likely get as much money or prestige elsewhere. He clearly likes Ralph's way of playing and I think he'll score or create a few important goals for us.  

 

Welcome Theo.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said earlier in this thread, a no brainer, low risk signing with the club clearly happy that whatever he is being paid represents value.

He is clearly superior to Long, Obafemi, N'Lundulu. He can play in multiple positions, still has pace and fitness and he is a model professional, good role model both within the club and a popular media figure.

He will also realise and be happy with the fact that he won't always be starting, and is still a good influence behind the scenes for the likes of Tella.

We don't have too many senior pros, and will lose Bertrand - so important to keep the balance.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dusic said:

As I said earlier in this thread, a no brainer, low risk signing with the club clearly happy that whatever he is being paid represents value.

He is clearly superior to Long, Obafemi, N'Lundulu. He can play in multiple positions, still has pace and fitness and he is a model professional, good role model both within the club and a popular media figure.

He will also realise and be happy with the fact that he won't always be starting, and is still a good influence behind the scenes for the likes of Tella.

We don't have too many senior pros, and will lose Bertrand - so important to keep the balance.

I don’t think that is clear at all to be honest. 
 

Id say he’s on par with Long, if I’m honest. 
 

Nlundlu, yes, he is just a donkey. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow .............just hope he can offer more than we've seen so far this season. Always liked him and Chambers(maybe we should get him back?),but Theos decision making and loosing the ball far too often this season have been shocking,but hey they know best were just fickle fans .

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we aren't paying more than 30k a week for his services that's all I can say! 

I get that he can offer guidance to our younger players so happy in that aspect & he will grab a goal or two when set up for him, but his all round play leaves a lot to be desired, happy to be proved wrong Theo 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not happy with this, personally. I don't think he's done anywhere near enough to warrant another contract here and haven't rated him for years. Odd how he's, "one of our own," when there're no better offers on the table but when Everton came in and trumped our bid with a bit more money three years ago he was one of someone else's.

 

Anyway, fingers crossed a 32 year old has a sudden upturn in form and fitness I guess.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

Wow .............just hope he can offer more than we've seen so far this season. Always liked him and Chambers(maybe we should get him back?),but Theos decision making and loosing the ball far too often this season have been shocking,but hey they know best were just fickle fans .

Maybe he saw Redmond getting picked week after week and assumed that was what's epected of him.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So far this season, our win percentage when Theo has played is 35%, compared to 31% when he hasn't. And our lose percentage is 40% when he's played and 56% when he hasn't.

Ergo, more asset than liability.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

As long as we aren't paying more than 30k a week for his services that's all I can say! 

I get that he can offer guidance to our younger players so happy in that aspect & he will grab a goal or two when set up for him, but his all round play leaves a lot to be desired, happy to be proved wrong Theo 

 

Don’t be ridiculous 30k!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})