Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Brilliant day for a long serving Saints supporter.
Mid table second tier team against the 'mighty' Man Utd with lots of high quality players, yet we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Brilliant day for a long serving Saints supporter.
Mid table second tier team against the 'mighty' Man Utd with lots of high quality players, yet we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

The ironic thing is,despite being an established top flight team we have probably less chance of winning again now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought of this today.

Great memory but sad also thinking back about some of those who were there that day and no longer with us (family, friends and even players, Bobby Stokes and Peter Osgood).

Worth a watch again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby Stokes:

Skates like to mention how they brought the FA Cup to The Dell in 1939 and were applauded by Saints fans. They overlook the heroes reception their residents gave to Bobby Stokes for scoring for us to win the Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

More nostalgia, including a run down on the team from Mick Channon:

ITV managed to get the club crest wrong.

Comment from Channon on one of the team buying car mags " ...whereas most players buy Penthouse or Mayflower ..." 

Edited by Badger
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love all that stuff but every time I see another year tick by I can’t help but think two things. Firstly how much we’ve under achieved as a club, we have got unlucky in some big games but also you’d expect us to have achieved more than we have. Secondly and probably more so, how utterly ridiculous it is that some of our fan would rather we never win anything if it means we finish 17th in the premier league every season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badger said:

Thought of this today.

Great memory but sad also thinking back about some of those who were there that day and no longer with us (family, friends and even players, Bobby Stokes and Peter Osgood).

Worth a watch again.

Still get goose pimples....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badger said:

More nostalgia, including a run down on the team from Mick Channon:

ITV managed to get the club crest wrong.

Comment from Channon on one of the team buying car mags " ...whereas most players buy Penthouse or Mayflower ..." 

And Alex Stepney talking about being woken up by 'birds'. Players living above a pub or running a fish mongers. Simpler times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

And Alex Stepney talking about being woken up by 'birds'. Players living above a pub or running a fish mongers. Simpler times.

Jim Steele as well, that well known member of the Temperance Society. 

Think we know how he spent his recreational hours. I remember reading something from Peter Osgood who said after his early training sessions a couple of the players started making mooing noises like cows in the dressing room. He soon realised this was Jim Steele's rallying cry for "everyone up The Cowherds".

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just 16. What I remember most is how green the Wembley grass looked as I got my first glimpse when we come of of the tunnel into the stands. And how loud the crowd was. My ears were still ringing all the way as we drove back down the M3. I don't think I have ever experienced noise like it at a game since

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Badger said:

Jim Steele as well, that well known member of the Temperance Society. 

Think we know how he spent his recreational hours. I remember reading something from Peter Osgood who said after his early training sessions a couple of the players started making mooing noises like cows in the dressing room. He soon realised this was Jim Steele's rallying cry for "everyone up The Cowherds".

Remember going to opening night of Jim Steele owning the Chamberlayn Arms in Sholing mid-90s and quite a few of the cup winning side came along - Ossie, Rodriguez, Hughie, Channon et al. Didn’t end well for Jim overall IIRC but cracking first night hearing all of the stories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Remember going to opening night of Jim Steele owning the Chamberlayn Arms in Sholing mid-90s and quite a few of the cup winning side came along - Ossie, Rodriguez, Hughie, Channon et al. Didn’t end well for Jim overall IIRC but cracking first night hearing all of the stories.

I remember that pub from my younger days. Like most round that way, think it's a One Stop now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread reminds me that had a hell of a hangover 45 years ago today

Stupidly I tried to get into Channon's testimonial after watching Hampshire lost to Derbyshire in the B and H Cup on the Monday

Despite losing we qualified for the knock out stage where Mike Procter then wrecked Hampshire's hopes as he took 4 wickets in 5 balls, including a hat-trick. First he bowled Greenidge and then trapped Richards (though the latter always claimed he got an inside edge) and Jesty lbw, and comprehensively bowled John Rice.

Great Memories

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})