Stu Armstrong

maysie

Player of the season?

Technically so good today with manipulation of the ball and the use of his body. His directness gets us up the pitch so quick too.

Personally didn't think he was up to CM role as didn't think he had the discipline but him and JWP building up a good partnership. 

• Like 3

He can play anywhere in the midfield really, he has such good energy. Absolutely perfect player for this kind of high tempo game. 

Easily my player of the season. I think he's been someone who has stood up throughout the season, even during the bad games/bad runs he has been someone who could always hold his head up high.

100% I gave him grief earlier in the season for cutting inside and losing the ball in the centre circle but that was because i didnt understand that was what he is tasked with doing.

Running inside, opening up the wing for KWP and looking for runners in-front of him, now he has moved inside he is looking more effective as the attacking CM.

Endurance on him is immense, JWP get lots of plaudits but Armstrong runs hard and fast all game with his ball carrying.

Best hair in the team as well so defo player of the season for me with.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yep he's really climbing up for me. Definitely top 3 with KWP and JWP, I'd put him first though as it stands.

Curious as to what JWP or KWP could/would need to do in the last 3 games to change that?!!

Stu my player of the season. Probably JWP runner up. I feel JWP delivery been off colour last few weeks but he has been ever present and fairly consistent overall. I would like to see more of his performance at anfield as he was excellent playing that deeper role. Gives stu licence to get forward plus he's far more likely to score from open play.

30 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Curious as to what JWP or KWP could/would need to do in the last 3 games to change that?!!

Both are really up there for me for consistency, but both have been a little less consistent of late so returning to previous quality. Some tricky opponents coming up for KWP in Lookman, Raphinha, and Lingard, if he can pocket all three and keep them quiet then he is up for a shout. JWP if he dominates midfield in all the games, maybe scores another FK to match the all time record for most FK goals in a season he is in for a shout.

Player of the season by a country mile. Lacks that little bit of extra top quality, so probably perfect for us as not quite good enough for top 4/5. 

I like him in central midfield, certainly offers us something different to the other 3. Carries the ball forward and actually beats people and has a turn of pace. I’d like to see Ralph adapt and play OR in front of the back 4 with Armstrong & Prowse/Diallo in front of him in some games. 

probably our most consistent player this season. Love his work rate, and also determination to drive forward and take on players despite not being the quickest He turns up in games most frequently, and I would say player of the season (not that its much to shout about given our season)

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He can play anywhere in the midfield really, he has such good energy. Absolutely perfect player for this kind of high tempo game. 

Easily my player of the season. I think he's been someone who has stood up throughout the season, even during the bad games/bad runs he has been someone who could always hold his head up high.

You say that, but he's usually blowing out of his arse by the 70 minute mark and frequently has to be subbed off as a result.

Overall though, I agree. He has been a rare bright spot this season, with his willingness to run at defenders and try to make something happen, instead of just playing the crab football that many others are guilty of.

• Like 1

Yep agreed, Armstrong with KWP a close 2nd. JWP was up there but his form has tailed off last couple of months despite his work rate.

A terrible season but Armstrong and KWP invariable put in much better performances than the rest.

Edited by Saint Billy

8 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You say that, but he's usually blowing out of his arse by the 70 minute mark and frequently has to be subbed off as a result.

Overall though, I agree. He has been a rare bright spot this season, with his willingness to run at defenders and try to make something happen, instead of just playing the crab football that many others are guilty of.

True, he does suffer with fitness issues but that's because he does expel a lot of energy in games. Buzzes around all over the place.

Maybe he needs to manage the games a bit better? I don't know, but he does have periods in games where he is just full of it.

11 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

24 times 80-90 mins - most those 90mins

5 times 70 ish

1 other 12mins

Edited by Convict Colony

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Yeah and a pig just flew past my window.

Tbf he is proper injury prone. And we weren't lying about JWP, and Ings started just before leaving so we don't necessarily rest players about to leave

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

They def want wide players but don't get why we would sell him at all.  Has to be 1 of our best attackers?

I don't think he's going anywhere to be honest, just coincidental fake rumours circling and he's out injured. Nothing to see here I don't think.

• Like 1

Also probably should be pointed out that we have more depth now than we used to, so no point risking him and making the injury worse, give him time to heal up and get fully fit. He is one of those players likely to pick up more knocks because he drives at players often, so will get caught more in challenges. 

I don’t see him going anywhere, people outside the club don’t seem to rate him as much as we do, so I can’t see any big money being on the table. Likewise, can’t see us selling for anything other than big money. Would be one of our weirdest sales for a while if we did, so i’m sure the injury is true. 

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

if Burnley want wide players sell them Elyounoussi and Redmond - simples!

Now there is a shout, tell them Redmond is available they'll probably lap it up. No idea why he is so highly rated by the rest of the football world. 

I'd take anything over £10million for him. Let Ralph pick another young player to snap up for the future. 

• Like 2

He isn't going anywhere guys, he was actually sat in the box right behind Block 13 with Broja and also N'lundulu in the Itchen South.

He was very gracious enough to let me take a pic with him + said he had a light injury but nothing more.

(I did say to him he was my favourite attacking midfielder over Redmond and Djenepo) and he gave a light smile. Didn't disturb him after that.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

He isn't going anywhere guys, he was actually sat in the box right behind Block 13 with Broja and also N'lundulu in the Itchen South.

He was very gracious enough to let me take a pic with him + said he had a light injury but nothing more.

(I did say to him he was my favourite attacking midfielder over Redmond and Djenepo) and he gave a light smile. Didn't disturb him after that.

Yeah he was sat with Broja, Smallbone, McQueen and Obafemi 

22 hours ago, nta786 said:

Have only read good things about SA as a person.

Quite amused by the last bit though. Not sure what he could say to that " better than that pair of c^nts, f'kin hope so... "

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 23/08/2021 at 13:27, Rebel said:

if Burnley want wide players sell them Elyounoussi and Redmond - simples!

Great minds and all that, thought this morning if we'd try and offload either of those two.

Surely Celtic have got someone we could swap Elynoussi for. If not Ryan Christie who we've been linked with or a youngster, then even a midget goalkeeper and a step ladder might improve the squad.

26 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Armstrong to Celtic?

Ryan Christie to Saints in exchange?

watch this space maybe....

Based on absolutely nothing, I could see Armstrong going back to Scotland in his declining years, but he is on the ascent now.

I do believe Armstrong wants a move back up north but unless we get an offer for him then it’s not happening.

Must remember that Vestergaard and him were the best of buddies and this might of made things even more difficult.

If Christie was an option then at least you move on a unhappy player member like Ings and Bertrand.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Stu Armstrong