Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

Seems close enough now to have it's own thread. What do people think of this deal? Seems like a bargain to me, great attacking numbers and very compatible skills.

3 goals and 7 assists last season is pretty handy.

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

Seems close enough now to have it's own thread. What do people think of this deal? Seems like a bargain to me, great attacking numbers and very compatible skills.

3 goals and 7 assists last season is pretty handy.

Know nothing about him. Looks decent going forward, nice bit of pace. 

Be interesting to see what he’s like defensively. 

38 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What, when, who? 

Haven't even heard a sniff of a rumour about this guy (admit I haven't been keeping a close eye on the transfer thread) is it really close to happening? 

We never do though.

How often are our real signings in the main stream?

They almost never are.

If we're getting linked with a player left right and centre and the usual crap it's normally utter shite.

This one does seems like a legit target though.

Edited by JustinSFC

According to our information, Romain Perraud (Brest) is very close to joining the Premier League.

Revealed by L'Equipe , the possible transfer of Romain Perraud to England is becoming clearer hour by hour. And it is towards Southampton that the Brest defender should spin. Our sources confirm that an agreement is very close, for a transfer fee of 10 million euros. Revelation of the last season of Ligue 1, Romain Perraud was also courted by Leeds . As revealed by  le10sport.com on January 30, Marcelo Bielsa has been eyeing his profile for several months ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: 

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Surprised Leeds have according to reports last week dropped out due to the fee, although they've since been linked with some Spanish lb at €3.5m.

The lad they went after (Galan) is apparently one of the best dribblers in europe. Tbh Perraud suits us better by the looks of things as he is three years younger so fits our model and plays mainly in a back 4 whereas Galan operates mostly as a wingback in front of a back 3

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Has Crook ever commented on a player, who isn't linked to us in the public domain? Seems he just tags on afterwards, saying, oh yeah, he's a target by the way. Instead of breaking names to us.

He's an incredible journalist who is one of the very few who has sources in most of Europe*.

* He just reads it on Twitter and pretends he's heard the news direct.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Looks decent but his height could be a concern. We struggled with Cedric (same height) at right back. 

Cedric 1.72m

KWP  1.74m

Perraud 1.73m

Bertrand 1.79m

Not really an issue I'd suggest.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

If he's anywhere near as good as Bertrand, we will have done very well.

If he's as good as KWP we will have done very well. KWP was "streets" ahead of Bertie last season (I'm not saying Bertie wasn't a very good servant, but his energy levels seemed to dip dramatically over the past 2 seasons.....or so it appeared to me anyway)

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Cedric 1.72m

KWP  1.74m

Perraud 1.73m

Bertrand 1.79m

Not really an issue I'd suggest.

Its not. Most top full backs in the league are quite short - likes of TAA, Chilwell, Robertson, Walker and Tierney are all 5'10 (178cm) and below. As long as hes got a good leap

6 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Its not. Most top full backs in the league are quite short - likes of TAA, Chilwell, Robertson, Walker and Tierney are all 5'10 (178cm) and below. As long as hes got a good leap

But he isn't 5 10. He's 5 8. So is KWP. If we play both, half of our back 4 will be exposed in the air. We'll be vulnerable to high balls into both full back areas. You can get away with one side, but both is risky. Add in that JWP is the same height, we will be exposed when defending corners with a lack of height in the team. 

10 hours ago, egg said:

Looks decent but his height could be a concern. We struggled with Cedric (same height) at right back. 

Roberto Carlos: 5' 6"

Phillipp Lahm: 5' 7"

Bixente Lizarazu: 5' 7"

Dennis Irwin: 5' 7"

I shouldn't worry about it too much. Quality players find a way.

We struggled with Cedric because he was shit. His height had nothing to do with it.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, egg said:

But he isn't 5 10. He's 5 8. So is KWP. If we play both, half of our back 4 will be exposed in the air. We'll be vulnerable to high balls into both full back areas. You can get away with one side, but both is risky. Add in that JWP is the same height, we will be exposed when defending corners with a lack of height in the team. 

High balls into full back areas are not the problem. High balls into the box are. When defending corners you can bring taller players back to defend them. Once upon a time the full backs used to stand by the posts and not mark anybody.

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Walker has to be taller than 5'10 surely...

Most fullbacks are around 5'10 or lower:

-Robertson and Trent are 5'9 and 5'10.
-Walker and Cancelo are 5'10'' and 6'0.
-James and Chilwell are 5'9 and 5'10.
-Shaw and Wan-Bisakka are 6'0 (apparently, dunno about that) and 6'0.
-Aurier and Regullion are 5'9 and 5'10
- Tierney and Bellerin are 5'10 and 5'10

KWP and Perraud would be 5'7 and 5'7 which would definitely be a little shorter but not miles off the norm.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The same height as me :)

And Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

Neither of whom played as a full back in the Premier League.

Will give you the benefit of the doubt though Whitey, as I don't know how an illustrious playing career you may have had.

4 hours ago, egg said:

That concerns me too, but did we concede many from corners this season? If Vestegaard leaves, we will be more vulnerable. Bertie wasn't any good in the air, but he leaned into players just enough to put them off.

Separately, I moaned all season about the way we defended free kicks, with the high line and playing offside, but in the end by luck of design we didn't conceded from any of them. Horrible to watch, but maybe someone just did some maths.

• Like 2

I look forward to watching him play in 8 months after he's finally adjusted to the Premier League and we've had to rotate between Vokins, Salisu and Diallo at left back. 😜

It's good news that the club is also looking for another full back as well, so the mistakes of last season aren't repeated. Another right back that can play left back, or right back with KWP slotting across to left back if needed, would be the best solution, but I wonder whether we would bring in two left backs in case one of them isn't very good/doesn't adjust/doesn't live up to expectations? Unless Vokins is finally ready to step up to reserve LB I guess. I can't see Valery as having much of a future here.

Obviously Brandon Williams would be perfect for us, but would he come if he knew that KWP and Perraud were first choice? Tricky.

With the backup full back, who can ideally cover both sides, I really don't see the value to anyone of that being a loan signing, unless it is with a clear option to buy.

The team loaning the player out don't really gain as they won't have any certainty that he will get minutes.

If the player is being loaned for experience he may not get much.

If we can't/don't sign the player permanently then we have exactly the same problem again next summer of needed full back cover (would be about 3 seasons in a row by then).

Surely a PL club can't have only two full backs on permanent contracts?!

Edited by Dusic

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

With the backup full back, who can ideally cover both sides, I really don't see the value to anyone of that being a loan signing, unless it is with a clear option to buy.

The team loaning the player out don't really gain as they won't have any certainty that he will get minutes.

If we can't/don't sign the player permanently then we have exactly the same problem again next summer of needed full back cover (would be about 3 seasons in a row by then).

Spot on. Can't see why a club would loan out a player with no guarantee of minutes unless we're either paying a substantial loan fee, there's an obligation to buy, or they're not very good and the other team aren't bothered.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully Utd sign Trippier & then the writing really is on the wall for Williams at Utd.

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Something a bit different to the usual Youtube highlights offering set to some rubbish soundtrack.

And no, he is not good in the air.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hpaOEA-4l0-37iiJjt3DXpgkTel6VGOU/view

Ranks in the lowest 10% of full backs (from the big 5 leagues) with regards to attackers dribbling past him. Quality. Although he is good at dispossessing players during a pressing action and comes top 6% for tackles per game. I guess this is fine provided we are always attacking and pressing the opposition and he never has a skilful winger running at him in a defensive position..... ^_^

Weakest 8% of full backs for aerial duels - no surprise there.

Dribble success rate in the bottom 35%, but does gets a lot of crosses in 

Reading that, he's basically a winger with a some semblance of defensive play ^_^ Almost like a good valery 🤪

Edited by Saint86
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, egg said:

Those two inches must really matter to you 👀

2 hours ago, Chez said:

That concerns me too, but did we concede many from corners this season? If Vestegaard leaves, we will be more vulnerable. Bertie wasn't any good in the air, but he leaned into players just enough to put them off.

Separately, I moaned all season about the way we defended free kicks, with the high line and playing offside, but in the end by luck of design we didn't conceded from any of them. Horrible to watch, but maybe someone just did some maths.

In my women's team in training I tell the shorter defenders you can still stop runs and jumpers if you get close and awkward. Cedric never seemed to whereas KWP does much better!  As to our high defensive line, I used to cringe too but, as you say, it was actually very successful. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice