James Ward-Prowse

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Also don't forget he scored two free kicks against Villa last season so they know what they can get from him.

I don't see how it being against Villa is relevant. They would have scouted him against multiple opponents. 

• Confused 3
17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't see how it being against Villa is relevant. They would have scouted him against multiple opponents. 

I't shouldn't, in a logical world, but life and people are not allways logical. And things we experience personally often makes more of an impression than things we read in a book or watch in a video. People and feelings are involved, it's probably a little relevant 🙂

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

See my post earlier in the thread (think it was last month) It's come from a source who is close to his family.

As I previously said, I do not think he would force a move. If he did go though he would increase his wages and improve his chances of an England call up for the World Cup, as well join an ambitious club looking to qualify for Europe this season. 

A fair few reasons to go, IMO. 

I get the wage, but don't see that improving his chances of an England call up (didn't help Watkins as an example). I would also question the chance Villa have of Europe next season if they sell Grealish (which is looking likely) - they were turd when he was out injured last season.

I really don't see him going as I can't see them paying us what we would want, but if he does go it'll be down to money, pure and simple (like almost all transfers).

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, that does 'smell' a bit to be honest. Let's see what happens.

Easy to speculate. The guy never misses a game, yet misses 2 either side of an offer. Hmm. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Easy to speculate. The guy never misses a game, yet misses 2 either side of an offer. Hmm. 

When I think of mysterious absences in preseason I always think of the Callum Chambers move for some reason.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

When I think of mysterious absences in preseason I always think of the Callum Chambers move for some reason.

On that subject, he's a player that I could see coming back. 

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why does it 'smell'? He was also injured for the Cardiff game but still travelled to the stadium and is back in light training after an injury.

Are you really that naive? Super human JWP develops a slight knock in training that keeps him out of two subsequent friendlies? This is a guy who played every available minute last season. 

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Are you really that naive? Super human JWP develops a slight knock in training that keeps him out of two subsequent friendlies? This is a guy who played every available minute last season. 

He isn't immune to injuries. 

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not suggesting he isn't, but to miss two friendlies in a row, when one was on a Tuesday, and the other not until a Saturday, just doesn't stack up. This is JWP we are talking about not made of glass Djenpo

This is just flawed, just because someone hasn't had an injury for a long time misses some games doesn't make it a conspiracy. You have no idea as to the medical issue so you shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding him missing a game on Tuesday and then Saturday.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

This is just flawed, just because someone hasn't had an injury for a long time misses some games doesn't make it a conspiracy. You have no idea as to the medical issue so you shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding him missing a game on Tuesday and then Saturday.

Just fcking bore off.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Life isn't an exact science, clubs and agents make things up. Injuries and knocks are made up at times, just as an excuse so they don't have to play/get injured.

It might not be the case here, but as others have said...this guy never misses a game. Not friendlies, not cup games, not league games. Never misses them. Then all of a sudden on the back of interest he's missed two in a row. That's why it 'smells' a bit.

42 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not suggesting he isn't, but to miss two friendlies in a row, when one was on a Tuesday, and the other not until a Saturday, just doesn't stack up. This is JWP we are talking about not made of glass Djenpo

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Life isn't an exact science, clubs and agents make things up. Injuries and knocks are made up at times, just as an excuse so they don't have to play/get injured.

It might not be the case here, but as others have said...this guy never misses a game. Not friendlies, not cup games, not league games. Never misses them. Then all of a sudden on the back of interest he's missed two in a row. That's why it 'smells' a bit.

Don't think he played golf with the rest of the squad either so can't be injured and must be leaving then! 🤔

51 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Wayne Bridge played 113 games in a row. Still got a knock. He's human. It's just the timing of it that makes the conspiracy theorists take note. 

Pre-season is an intense work out and he barely got one last season, so it's not surprise he's picked up a knock this season.

Moot anyway, he's not joining Villa.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Quite. Not injured for years, “injured” at the same time as a bid comes in. Looks like he’s off once we get an acceptable bid

People massively reading into things here, no one is immune to injury, JWP needs a rest as much as anyone, and a slight knee injury he might play through in the season probably isn't worth pushing in friendlies, especially when Diallo and Romeu both need minutes.

A bit conspiracy theory for me, we ain't going to call a clubs bid "derisory" and then put the player on hold for them, Ings is much more likely to leave imo and he's played both games.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Moot anyway, he's not joining Villa.

And what's that based on? If they offer us money that tempts us, and chuck him an extra £40k + PW he'll be gone. Naive to think otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Has there been any comment from the club about the Villa bid? anything from the club/Ralph that JwP is not for sale.

Anything from the player himself?

The bid was rejected out of hand with the comment that we have no interest in selling.

When they cash the Grealish cheque I'll be more worried, but we know they will have to dig deep. 

He'd be a massive gamble at anything north of 45M for them. Could see the pressure making it a nightmare move for a fee like that. 

Any that's not a dig at James, its just we know and recognise his limitations. They just see the highlights and look at the stats. 

Edited by LiberalCommunist

If they really only value him at 25-30M, we won't let him go. I'd guess they're trying to tempt him with big wages in the hope he'll then press to go, hoping to get away with a low fee.

I think he's very committed to Saints, but will be interesting.

9 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

When they cash the Grealish cheque I'll be more worried, but we know they will have to dig deep. 

He's be a massive gamble at anything north of 45M for them. Could see the pressure making it a nightmare move for a fee like that. 

Any that's not a dig at James, its just we know and recognise his limitations. They just see the highlights and look at the stats. 

Grealish is as good as gone, they signed Buendia in readiness and Bailey is the confirmation for me. 

I'm intrigued to know from the conspiracy theorists what exactly the club could have done/could do to convince you they have no interest in selling JWP and the bid was rejected without even being considered other than waiting for the end of the window?

• Confused 1
Just now, Fabrice29 said:

I'm intrigued to know from the conspiracy theorists what exactly the club could have done/could do to convince you they have no interest in selling JWP and the bid was rejected without even being considered other than waiting for the end of the window?

Conspiracy theorists? I'm not one of them, but I think we'll sell him if the right bid comes in and/or he's tempted by a big wage increase. 

If he's still here after the transfer window has shut, then the club will have convinced me that he's not for sale. 

37 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

If they really only value him at 25-30M, we won't let him go. I'd guess they're trying to tempt him with big wages in the hope he'll then press to go, hoping to get away with a low fee.

I think he's very committed to Saints, but will be interesting.

Of all our players over the years, I’m hoping he’ll be the one who doesn’t flip like a burger...

... but then I probably thought the same about Lallana.

10 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

If Villa keep bidding then they obviously feel that stance can be changed.

We will sell if JWP makes it clear he wants to go. History tells us that.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, egg said:

I think we'll sell him if the right bid comes in and/or he's tempted by a big wage increase

You say that as if it's a debatable or contentious issue but the same statement could be made about 90% of players in world football. All it really comes down to is price and whether anyone's willing to pay it.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Of all our players over the years, I’m hoping he’ll be the one who doesn’t flip like a burger...

... but then I probably thought the same about Lallana.

I didn't see Bridge leaving us. Broke my heart seeing the story in the paper that he was joining Chelsea. Didn't imagine Lallana would leave either. Thought he was going to take Le Tiss' mantle and be a one club man. I guess I was pretty naive on both occasions. These days I expect players to depart as soon as they have a good season. Why on earth wouldn't they? More money, more prestige, more money...I suspect the thing that helps retain players most (at a club like us) is their family life. It certainly isn't loyalty. Doesn't exist, either way.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Chez said:

I didn't see Bridge leaving us. Broke my heart seeing the story in the paper that he was joining Chelsea. Didn't imagine Lallana would leave either. Thought he was going to take Le Tiss' mantle and be a one club man. I guess I was pretty naive on both occasions. These days I expect players to depart as soon as they have a good season. Why on earth wouldn't they? More money, more prestige, more money...I suspect the thing that helps retain players most (at a club like us) is their family life. It certainly isn't loyalty. Doesn't exist, either way.

Yeah, we were given a false sense of security by MLT, a true maverick and a real unicorn amongst footballers.

Definitely expect JWP to go if Villa up to ~£35m, there’s no way he’d stay due to his love of the club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Yeah, we were given a false sense of security by MLT, a true maverick and a real unicorn amongst footballers.

Definitely expect JWP to go if Villa up to ~£35m, there’s no way he’d stay due to his love of the club.

Did Le Tiss actually stay out of selfless loyalty to the club or was it just that it suited him to be here? He's come from the Channel Islands and deep down he knew that a place like London would be too big for him. Plus he'd have to work harder in training and on the pitch.

Did Benali or Dodd stay with us out of a duty to the club or because a big offer never materialised?

Ultimately everyone makes decisions for themselves I think.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Did Le Tiss actually stay out of selfless loyalty to the club or was it just that it suited him to be here? He's come from the Channel Islands and deep down he knew that a place like London would be too big for him. Plus he'd have to work harder in training and on the pitch.

Did Benali or Dodd stay with us out of a duty to the club or because a big offer never materialised?

Ultimately everyone makes decisions for themselves I think.

Very true.

MLT could easily have left too, sounds like his ex wife intervened when a contract was practically signed. Dodd and Benali were both great for us, but probably were never given the opportunity of a meaningful step up from Saints.

I wouldn’t begrudge JWP a move to Villa to be fair (if the money was right of course). It is a step up at this time and he’s been a great servant for us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You say that as if it's a debatable or contentious issue but the same statement could be made about 90% of players in world football. All it really comes down to is price and whether anyone's willing to pay it.

To many on here its not even a debatable issue. To me there's an inevitability about it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I can live with him going. I can live with all players going so long as we get lots of wedge nd we buy the right replacement. our financial model depends on it. if the recruitment can be trusted then these sales are a godsend. 

I actually see the club playing it pretty hard ball here and demanding a very decent fee. Villa will have the cash, but they will have to spend it. Villa seem to be going forward, so no reason why JWP wouldn't want to join them, but at the same time I don't see him forcing the move. Me being naive again perhaps. 

I have been critical of JWP in the past, but in the last two years he has upped his game and moving him into the middle has meant his lack of pace across the ground is not exposed. He actually impacts opponents now where before he used to just do doggies between players. there are a lot comments about his lack of forward passing, but he is a very good footballer. Not irreplaceable, but don't underestimate his ability.

• Like 5

its a good thing that teams come in for our players. When they don't, it means we have fuck all talent. Sell high, buy cheaper. A self sustaining club relies on deals like this. The question will be, can we bring in talent that is of an equal standard or maybe even better given time.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Well this really isn't in Roswell/Kennedy assassination/COVID vaccine/QANON level conspiracy theory is it?  All people are doing is speculating that JWP could be off and that missing the last two games could be linked. 

No one really knows - could be a coincidence or there might be legs in it but I think calling it a conspiracy theory is a bit OTT.  Let's be honest, when a player misses pre-season games after a bid has been made it does tend to lead to a departure at least some of the time.  The fact the club have dismissed the bid doesn't really make much difference - they've dismissed bids before only to sell.  Tell you what, give me a precedent where we've said a first team regular isn't for sale and haven't caved in and sold eventually.  Only one I can think of in recent years is Schneiderlin and even then it was only on the promise he could go the next year. 

So yeah, I wouldn't be convinced whatever the club said until the end of the transfer window SLAMS shut because there's been plenty more examples of us saying a player ISN'T for sale and then selling him than ones where they've stayed.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Conspiracy theorists? I'm not one of them, but I think we'll sell him if the right bid comes in and/or he's tempted by a big wage increase. 

If he's still here after the transfer window has shut, then the club will have convinced me that he's not for sale. 

Yeah we'll sell him if the right bid comes in... But the right bid will be way north of £50 million. We have absolutely no need to sell JWP and have already said he's not for sale. NOT FOR SALE. Yes all players have their price at a club like ours but it will be way more than Villa will be willing to pay for him. He has another 4 years on a contract he agreed to sign. We have no need to sell for at least two years. He ain't going anywhere unless the big, big bucks come in. Villa's supposed bid was an insult to us AND JWP.

The only way that will change is if he uncharacteristically throws his toys out the pram and hands in a transfer request. Even then we hold the cards because of the length of contract. 2 years left? Sure we'd probably sell him this summer for about £30-35 million. But he has 4, so we have no need to sell. (The other exception being relegation at the end of the season but even then we could get £25-30 million odd for him IMO.)

I know JWP has his knockers and always has had but he's integral to our team. In a summer where other players are expected to leave, I really don't think he's going anywhere.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Yeah we'll sell him if the right bid comes in... But the right bid will be way north of £50 million. We have absolutely no need to sell JWP and have already said he's not for sale. NOT FOR SALE. Yes all players have their price at a club like ours but it will be way more than Villa will be willing to pay for him. He has another 4 years on a contract he agreed to sign. We have no need to sell for at least two years. He ain't going anywhere unless the big, big bucks come in. Villa's supposed bid was an insult to us AND JWP.

The only way that will change is if he uncharacteristically throws his toys out the pram and hands in a transfer request. Even then we hold the cards because of the length of contract. 2 years left? Sure we'd probably sell him this summer for about £30-35 million. But he has 4, so we have no need to sell. (The other exception being relegation at the end of the season but even then we could get £25-30 million odd for him IMO.)

I know JWP has his knockers and always has had but he's integral to our team. In a summer where other players are expected to leave, I really don't think he's going anywhere.

Hard to disagree with much of that, but the suggestion that we'll get £50m for him is way off. He's a decent player, but he has very obvious limitations and is a million miles away from a £50m player. 

Edited by egg

Done some digging as I know someone with close links to JWP.

Its all agent talk and James is not looking to leave for Villa.

He will never rule out a move for a champions league club if Saints accepted a bid but 100% he won’t ask for a move as he’s happy.

He certainly was looking at leaving during the Mark Hughes days as he never fitted in his plans which frustrated him.

• Like 15
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic