James Ward-Prowse

2 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Anyone wondering why JWP hasn't come out and said "I'm happy here and dont want to leave" as our captain that's what I'd be looking for from him he must know it's unsettling. 

Because he isn’t and does?

10 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Anyone wondering why JWP hasn't come out and said "I'm happy here and dont want to leave" as our captain that's what I'd be looking for from him he must know it's unsettling. 

Probably because he’d look a bit silly if we accepted a £50m bid and he left.

10 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

I don't think that's something which usually happens to be honest. The only example I can think of in recent times is Fabian Delph when he was at Villa, and then a week later....he left. So yeah, a bit of a pointless empty gesture really.

He'd be well advised to just keep his head down, be professional and crack on. He knows the clubs stance, he'll know who is interested and the clubs will know at what value we will start to listen - as he will have a valuation.

54 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Because then he'd be obliged to do it every time there was a link or people would assume he was off  Bad precedent to set that he responds to every press rumour with a declaration of loyalty. There is a reason players very rarely do such things.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm pretty confident we are going to Morgan Schneiderlin his ass for this summer.

Next summer, different ball game.

No idea why you think that. Best players sold off, Lots of transfer rumours about him, injured all preseason then makes a miraculous recovery to be fit for the first game of the season. No similarities whatsoever.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Why do people still think JWP is leaving? The club said two nights ago that he is not. JWP is a Saint, he will be with us this season. 

I think the issue of having an owner with large debts is that Martin Semmens can say and do the right thing but at any point Mr Gao Jisheng can jump in and go ill accept that offer thank you very much

21 minutes ago, Bstokesaint said:

I think the issue of having an owner with large debts is that Martin Semmens can say and do the right thing but at any point Mr Gao Jisheng can jump in and go ill accept that offer thank you very much

Has that ever happened?

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Why do people still think JWP is leaving? The club said two nights ago that he is not. JWP is a Saint, he will be with us this season. 

Until you posted that, all I can see is a load of posts from people all agreeing that he isn't leaving.

1 hour ago, Bstokesaint said:

Semmens has said numerous times that while Gao doesn't put money into the club, he doesn't take money out and that all transfer fees are ploughed back into the club as it is self-sustaining.

1 hour ago, gordonToo said:

My reading is that the club had to sell two of JV, JWP and DI to raise the necessary funds. That fits with a earlier report quoting JWP as saying 'it's up to the club'.

I didn't see this report. Can you remember where it was from? That's an interesting quote

On 05/08/2021 at 22:15, hypochondriac said:

Best of luck mate. My best friend at primary school was a villa fan so I've always looked out for your results. Ings is class and should do a good job for you although it's undoubtedly a blow to lose your talisman, if you're like us you will spread the money about and have a more balanced team at the end of it. Always better not to be relying on one superstar and I hope we can take that advice as well now we have lost Danny. 

Top man - sorry for not replying sooner. As somebody who lives close to your ground I will be keeping my fingers crossed you stay up. Never met a horrible Saints fan. Actually, got a feeling it will be a better season than pundits expect. Armstrong is quality and I don't think JWP will move.

Edited by AVSOTON
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, TWar said:

I didn't see this report. Can you remember where it was from? That's an interesting quote

Sorry, it was a poster on this forum who said  he knew JWP.  Not verified anywhere else so far as I know. Fits the known facts though.

2 hours ago, Verbal said:

Has that ever happened?

35 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Semmens has said numerous times that while Gao doesn't put money into the club, he doesn't take money out and that all transfer fees are ploughed back into the club as it is self-sustaining.

normally the club is very quiet about interest in one of our players which obviously leaves any Gao intervention open without making anyone in the board room look stupid. Do you think the owner of a club that needs to balance the books and who himself loaned lots of money from various sources doesnt intervene when a large offer comes in? In the JWP case i think the fact Semmens has put his neck on the line saying the player is not leaving gives me hope

1 minute ago, Bstokesaint said:

normally the club is very quiet about interest in one of our players which obviously leaves any Gao intervention open without making anyone in the board room look stupid. Do you think the owner of a club that needs to balance the books and who himself loaned lots of money from various sources doesnt intervene when a large offer comes in? In the JWP case i think the fact Semmens has put his neck on the line saying the player is not leaving gives me hope

I suppose that it depends on who you believe. Having been to some of the Fans Forums at SMS and listening to the Solent one, I believe and trust Semmens and Co when he says that Gao doesn't interfere and leaves them alone to run the club and that all transfer monies are ploughed back into the business. You may believe something different of course...

• Like 1

I don't think from a PR perspective we can afford to let JWP go this summer. We have already lost one fan favourite in Ings, I don't think the club would risk the backlash if they allowed JWP to go too. Could possibly be a reason he signed such a long contract, sign the deal and in the second year, you can leave. 

33 minutes ago, Bstokesaint said:

So pure speculation then.

This is Schneiderlin MK II or should be treated as such by the club. The asset to cash in on next summer to reinvest in the squad. If we let him leave now it would be suicide. Fortunately Crocker said he would not be sold and trust him. 

• Confused 1

Schneiderlin genuinely wanted to leave, in fact demanded to leave and I think was close to basically going on strike. 

JWP has shown no desire to leave and I don't think he'd do a lot to push for a move even if he did. I think he'll only go if we receive the right bid for him and his family from a much bigger club than Villa or if we get relegated. I could also easily see him staying here for his whole career. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Would you be happy for him to go if it meant we signed Delaney, a starting CB and a new keeper?

It shouldn't have to be like this and a club should be able to evolve, but our position is that we can't do that. We seem programmed to expect that we have to sell the tea lady before we can buy a new tea lady etc.

But in this context, based on us getting 45-50m for him. That would afford us an opportunity to get experience at CB, CM a new goalkeeper and maybe a replacement for Moussa. JWP alone would be a miss but if his fee is put to good use it could add what we miss. 

My fear is that we'd target more young players though, as those are seemingly all we can afford.

Contrast his performance with Doucouré, who cost Everton £20 million. One player dug his side out of a hole, tackled, dropped in to attack goal kicks when the centre half was struggling handling Adams, scored, and gave a proper performance. The other one minced about offering no leadership at all. 

Get rid. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

He'll go next summer. We'll need a big asset to sell then, they'll probably agree it with him now to make him stay. I imagine £35-40m would do it then. Whereas it'd take 50+ right now. 

I think people underestimate him, much like they did with Milner. Both superb high energy players who'd help big teams. Add in the set pieces and he's every right to think he can do better than saints. 

When he does go, assuming we're still premier League, there's no direct replacement. We need to get a decent experienced CM AND a much, much better no10 who can create. As we'll be losing our set piece threat that we rely too heavily on already. 

• Like 2
On 14/08/2021 at 17:14, Disco Stu said:

The club absolutely must not sale JWP and must absolutely bring in a centre half that can get on the end of his corners. Our team looked tame at corners today and we had so many!

Absolutely, we weren't a threat from any of them

4 hours ago, Scummer said:

Interesting tweet from Saints just now about JWP's career with the club. Didn't look like the kind of thing you'd release of a player was about to leave, in fact it was more like a contract extension piece.

Thought the same thing. Surely Saints aren’t that inept?  

Though we are of course talking about a club which can’t even send out season tickets on time !

2 hours ago, musesaint said:

Thought the same thing. Surely Saints aren’t that inept?  

Though we are of course talking about a club which can’t even send out season tickets on time !

And a club that broke our transfer record on a dud that no-one wanted because he was pals with the current manager...who was then fired about a week or so later...

• Like 1
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic