Jump to content

Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

Only managed to watch the second half (so I'm to blame) but jeez that was effing awful.  Completely lost the midfield and defence was a shambles.  Fair play to McCarthy - he seems determined to end any speculation that he may be the better of the two goalkeepers.   

Edited by revolution saint
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I really wanted Ralph to be a success here, he's enthusiastic and probably cares for the club, but taken as a whole it's not just one game in isolation, it's been the best part of half a season. We were shite since January last year, there's no getting away from that, those problems still persist. He can't react to simple changes and doesn't make subs and when he does they are more out of desperation than anything else. Maybe he is the right guy and the wrong time for us.

Oh I do agree with most of this, his subs, or lack of them, always cost us. 

I was willing to cut him a little slack Jan onwards as our beach was mostly bare bones, but I am concerned but happy to see it play out for a handful of games or so. If we get dicked next week, which is likely, I wonder if he will throw in the towel. 
 

I also think he may not last the season, but we need a little time to see how we play when new players are bedded in over a few games, but he needs to stop this for and quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like a few people are forgetting the good spell in the 2nd half,  before decourts wonder strike.if Moussa lifts his head up one of the 4 times he skinned their right side or Adams took a shot on when we had them all over the place we would have got a 2nd goal.

Positives, mouse skinning people, front 2 look a handful.

Negatives, Walcott poor, Moussa not finding a pass, the funking about for their first goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to say but Ralph has to go. With a club like us, the players we have, his stubborn inflexible approach doesn’t work.

Players know that if they get in Ralph’s good books they’ll get picked. There’s no competition for places and it shows.

Then there’s the not addressing frequent problems, the keepers, the lapses, the throw ins, the corners.

He’s been worked out by other managers. Imagine being in the dressing room of the oppo. You’ve just been outrun and are down 1-0, all the manager needs to say is, they’ll tire, now’s the time to up the effort, they’ll crumble and won’t react until it’s too late, keep the faith and just up the intensity a bit.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really weak mentality. We just dont know how to manage leads through to the final whistle.

Ralph too slow with making subs again. Felt for him last year with some of the dross/kids on the bench at times. But today we had a good bench who could inject some energy when needed. Too late.

Said it many times before, Stephens is only good enough to be our 4th choice CB. The fact hes starting just shows how bad we are in that position. A good CB is needed asap. 

Positives are that the new signings looked good and Armstrong is off the mark already. Another poster hit the nail on the head about how we're still plagued by the staleness of players like McCarthy and Stephens.

We never do well at Goodison but feel like thats a point (at least) pissed away. Ah well onwards and hopefully upwards

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same shit different season, combine our opening day record and our record at Goodison and it was never going to be a good day was it. Go 1 up, play well, concede against the run of play and collapse like a fucking Jenga tower. We’re just so mentally fucking weak. We’re like someone being tortured for information that gives up just having their feet tickled. Honestly it’s been an issue now for years, we’ve got as much backbone as a fucking worm.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davefizzy14 said:

Why was Fraser not in goal today. Totally baffling. Just annoying that we give away a lead again! 

because Ralph is blind and clueless

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, madge said:

There has to be reason for our woeful 2nd half performances. It’s one of the following, absolutely no mental strength within senior players, the inability of our coaches to predict the changes opposing teams make at half time, lack of quality or a manager who’s tactically inept.

New players, same mentality and mentality is driven from the coaching set up. Personally I’d have ditched Ralph’s coaching team and provided him with someone who’s been around the top divisions.

The manager has to take responsibility for not doing more to address it..., But for me it's just as much a personnel and recruitment issue as it is blindingly obvious that we need an experienced organiser at the back and has been for a couple of seasons. And yet we are still obsessed with bringing in more players who are the "right age" or will be "the future of the club". What about what we need for the present so we don't keep losing winnable games like this?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saint Pete said:

The manager has to take responsibility for not doing more to address it..., But for me it's just as much a personnel and recruitment issue as it is blindingly obvious that we need an experienced organiser at the back and has been for a couple of seasons. And yet we are still obsessed with bringing in more players who are the "right age" or will be "the future of the club". What about what we need for the present so we don't keep losing winnable games like this?

Run by accountants not football people, quite clearly

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Useless cunt of a manager 

I have to say I am not normally so reactionary but on this occasion  I cannot disagree with your view

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

not read any of the above to not cloud my judgement.

- livramento was quality in 1st half seemed to tire and be more conservative in the 2nd - he seems a baller and i like him a lot already.

- Thought perraud and djnepo linked up well in the final 3rd, something to build with and neither disgraced themselves.

- For the first 2 goals both CBs and goalkeeper should of done better - stephens lost the 1st and i think Salisu thought Mccarthey was coming for the 2nd and left it since it was in the 6yd box-   mccarthey was coming and then stopped about 3yds away from the ball - he does not command his area.  In fact when i watch him i think he avoids going for balls when  he thinks there could be heavy contact with a player - he's pulled out more than a monk in a nunery.

Dacoure couldnt of hit that goal 9 times out of 10, JWP got sold and dummy and he hit a lucky strike - such is life.

Walcott was a passenger all game

Armstrong was great - quick as feck, pressured keane all game and awesome goal.

Adams - great assist but then quiet for the rest of the game.

JWP/Romeu - weirdly i dont know about them - i dont think they were great, JWP dead balls were a bit arse, Romeu ok lets hope its just being rusty.

Think we need a stronger/faster CB to partner Salisu, also the team need to assess how everton farmed the ball out wide to cross for their 2 goals, think they were both from midfield lapses.

 

Not sure what changes v Man U - but we go again

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm so sick and tired of throwing away leads. It's tiresome. 

Apparently we give out large contracts to the likes of Long and Walcott because they’re great characters to have in the dressing room. Thank goodness for that; I’d hate to see what this lot would be like if they were lacking organisation, camaraderie, leadership, resilience and character.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Very positive first half.

Mccarthy (Thought he was ok, came and claimed very well). Beaten by a top corner shot and sitters.)

Livramento clearly has something about him. Split between Ralph being blind or KWP being dead as to why we didn't make a change on that side when Gray started to get the better of him.

Stephens/Salisu. Some good moments(especially salisu covering) but managed to let both their strikers have sitters to score. We are so lacking any threat from set pieces too.

Perraud (some bright moments going forward, less certain defensively)

Romeu (quiet today)

JWP (Saved our bacon quite a few times)

Walcott (had a brief spell of about 5 minutes in 2nd half where he looked threatening

Djenepo (very threatening, just frustrating he wants too many touches)

Armstrong (lovely signing)

Adams (very good again)

Subs (unrated because for some reason some useless goon waited until we were behind to make them)

 

Romeu quiet ??? Spent 3/4 of the game covering ward prowse treading water. Yes great block ward prowse but other than that the game passed him by and it was lucky we had Romeu. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I hope the club know what they're doing because for me, we are sleepwalking towards relegation.

Why we haven't got a replacement for JV despite knowing he was going for ages is beyond me.

The goalkeeper situation is a joke, they're both fucking awful.

The stubborn git in charge won't change from his system which teams found out how to beat an absolute age ago.

He refuses to change the game through subs until it is way too late...

At least we have United next week.

Shite.

Game 1 - Aug 14th

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Oh I do agree with most of this, his subs, or lack of them, always cost us. 

I was willing to cut him a little slack Jan onwards as our beach was mostly bare bones, but I am concerned but happy to see it play out for a handful of games or so. If we get dicked next week, which is likely, I wonder if he will throw in the towel. 
 

I also think he may not last the season, but we need a little time to see how we play when new players are bedded in over a few games, but he needs to stop this for and quickly. 

I kinda entered the season with a bit of optimism, but it's so frustrating to see the same mistakes keep on happening. I don't understand why Ralph is so slow to react to changes and refuses to make subs. I agree that he may not last the season, but with us struggling so badly financially, I wonder if it will be too late before we relieve him of his duties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

( By my reckoning - including today, looking at second half performances ).....

Since we beat Sheff Utd 3-0 on 13th December we have played 27 league games. In those games we have "won" the second half 5 times, and "lost" it 15 times. Of 8 games we had been leading at half time we went on to win 3, draw 2, and lose 3. Of 7 games we were drawing at half time we went on win 2, draw 3, and lose 3. We lost all 11 of the games where we were behind at half time.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Same shit different season, combine our opening day record and our record at Goodison and it was never going to be a good day was it. Go 1 up, play well, concede against the run of play and collapse like a fucking Jenga tower. We’re just so mentally fucking weak. We’re like someone being tortured for information that gives up just having their feet tickled. Honestly it’s been an issue now for years, we’ve got as much backbone as a fucking worm.

Agree, so depressingly predictable, betting account showing a healthy balance but I'd have much rather have lost the money and seen us get something. Just happens every fucking year up there. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, redkeith said:

It seems like a few people are forgetting the good spell in the 2nd half,  before decourts wonder strike.if Moussa lifts his head up one of the 4 times he skinned their right side or Adams took a shot on when we had them all over the place we would have got a 2nd goal.

Positives, mouse skinning people, front 2 look a handful.

Negatives, Walcott poor, Moussa not finding a pass, the funking about for their first goal.

Moussa may look lively but it’s like a chicken running round with it’s head cut off, creates absolutely nothing

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I kinda entered the season with a bit of optimism, but it's so frustrating to see the same mistakes keep on happening. I don't understand why Ralph is so slow to react to changes and refuses to make subs. I agree that he may not last the season, but with us struggling so badly financially, I wonder if it will be too late before we relieve him of his duties. 

I don’t think we will take ages to move him on if needs be, and like you I’m full of optimism for thy is year, still am a little. 
 

Couple more signing and a training video on the use of subs, and this time next year Rodney we’ll be champions of the Premier League 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One up at half time with Theo and Djenepo being shite. 
 

Winning or not l, the manager has to change it and bring off players who are not performing, it was appalling from the manager. 
 

Not pro active at all and you can’t be like that in Prem league  

 

awful 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

Clear evidence that we need an experienced CB: someone who can organise holding on to a lead and be a leader.

Agree would make a massive difference for us, otherwise we seem destined to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Didcot Saint said:

Moussa may look lively but it’s like a chicken running round with it’s head cut off, creates absolutely nothing

A mate of mine once said Djenepo always looks like he doesn't know which goal we're attacking, every time I see him play I can't disagree. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mcbendy said:

Don't you think they'll notice if we field 12? (Stu + Armstrong) 

Lots of huff and puff, no real quality. Our goal was a good finish on a Everton error, apart from that we never looked liked scoring or creating anything.

The usual capitulation and defensive issues just confirms a long hard season a head and Nothing has  changed from last season apart from few changes In personnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Clear evidence that we need an experienced CB: someone who can organise holding on to a lead and be a leader.

Not only clear evidence today. But clear evidence to everyone that it would be needed without vestegaard (who wasn't great himself). Extremely frustrating as we've had months to work on this, yet you would think all of our players were at the euros and the Olympics. Under prepared, unfit, and poor. I imagine we will bring in a defensive version of Carrillo and that will be that for us

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Sorry to say but Ralph has to go. With a club like us, the players we have, his stubborn inflexible approach doesn’t work.

Players know that if they get in Ralph’s good books they’ll get picked. There’s no competition for places and it shows.

Then there’s the not addressing frequent problems, the keepers, the lapses, the throw ins, the corners.

He’s been worked out by other managers. Imagine being in the dressing room of the oppo. You’ve just been outrun and are down 1-0, all the manager needs to say is, they’ll tire, now’s the time to up the effort, they’ll crumble and won’t react until it’s too late, keep the faith and just up the intensity a bit.

Agree with this and it looked like the pep talk included pressurising Djenepo and rattling Salisu and McCarthy, going for the obvious weak links as you'd expect.  If Ralph wants to continue his 'top to bottom revolution' at Saints he needs to get a seasoned competent keeper and combative leader centre half in as soon as possible - Romero and Tarkowski perhaps but who knows, lots of good suggestions on the transfers thread.  Club has to bite the bullet with the keeper though as a stopgap with the two remaining stooges will clearly cost us dearly, and there are people earning a lot of money at the club who should be all over it.  The substitutions are another matter and today was especially baffling as the bench looked decent. We were good first half but Theo and Djeneop were obviously poor and off pace - Armstrong and Tella at half time or 60 mins looked a complete no brainer.  For me the strangest thing is the manager's apparent inability to learn, is he simply stubborn or stupidly optimistic, like so many on here I'd love him to be successful but fans need some tangible evolution now.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Team is really missing a pro that leads by example, that is vocal, keeps the team ticking over and intensity high. 

A simple shout from Salisu or McCarthy and we stay 1-0 up, crowd on Everton’s backs. 

Even before that it was clear we were dozing off. Why wasn’t anyone voicing to the others to keep the concentration?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Team is really missing a pro that leads by example, that is vocal, keeps the team ticking over and intensity high. 

A simple shout from Salisu or McCarthy and we stay 1-0 up, crowd on Everton’s backs. 

Even before that it was clear we were dozing off. Why wasn’t anyone voicing to the others to keep the concentration?

2 minutes into the second half Ralph's half time words should still have been ringing in their ears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

One up at half time with Theo and Djenepo being shite. 
 

Winning or not l, the manager has to change it and bring off players who are not performing, it was appalling from the manager. 
 

Not pro active at all and you can’t be like that in Prem league  

 

awful 

Exactly right. The manager has to be ruthless enough to tell a player at half time who has not performed that he's being hooked. Theo offered nothing during that opening 45 minutes - this should have been dealt with by the coaching staff but not sure they have that bit of ruthlessness about them. They'd rather gloss over it and hope things improve. You can't afford to be so soft at this level.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've never really knocked Ralph before but he really needs to take the majority of the blame on this one.  We were crying out for more bodies in midfield to shore us up.  No idea why Stuart Armstrong was on the bench but if he was fit enough to be on the bench then he should have been on the pitch at least as a sub.  If it was tactical then that's a big mistake.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Team is really missing a pro that leads by example, that is vocal, keeps the team ticking over and intensity high. 

 

I’ve been saying this for months, but evidently I’m a dinosaur stuck in the 70’s.
 

Look at them today, their keeper dishes it out regularly. Coleman puts his foot in and is vocal, Doucouré digs in and sets an example. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I kinda entered the season with a bit of optimism, but it's so frustrating to see the same mistakes keep on happening. I don't understand why Ralph is so slow to react to changes and refuses to make subs. I agree that he may not last the season, but with us struggling so badly financially, I wonder if it will be too late before we relieve him of his duties. 

It appears he is just incapable of reading a game and changing it up when necessary. One move from the oppo's manager and he is done. You want to believe that it can't be the case and he'll learn but over and over again we see the same fucking thing so the conclusion has to be that it is the case. How about he changes formation/personnel/tactics at half time to keep his opponent on their toes? Why is it always us reacting and when we do too fucking late?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})