Jump to content

Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

Good first half. Looking surprisingly solid at the back and a real threat going forward. Armstrong look a handful. Great finish for his goal. Tino, wow, looks absolutely class. 

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

No complaints there. Livramento looks unbelievable. 18 is he? Wow. Adam Armstrong has hit the ground running which we desperately needed. Still nervous about holding on but we look sharp. Hopefully the home fans start to turn.

Edited by Disco Stu
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Suhari said:

Very encouraging.

The big question though: do we still do shit second halves?

This all pointless if we don't turn up with the same mindset in the second half, come on saints! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel Perraud has struggled a bit. Not terrible but much improvement hopeflly to come.

Livramento, yeah he's going to play for a top club.

Mccarthy fab, claim and punch. Don't think Forster would have come for either.

Stephens lot of very good stuff, one moment where he switched off and let Calver Lewin run off him

Armstrong, who needs ings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, badgerx16 said:

I thought AA's big issue was that he lacked pace.

Really? When he chased Keane down he was about 20 yards behind him and nearly caught him. He looked quick

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good. The front 2 look a real handful & the full back has fully justified his selection ahead of KWP. Walcott picks up some good positions, but flattered to deceive a bit . We’re passing  with pace, and quick into the tackle. Positive so far 

Link to post
Share on other sites

0-1 ht. So far so good. Wouldn't say we've been amazing, but we're bright. Bit heart in the mouth whenever Everton go direct, but we knew about their aerial strength going into the match.

Ward-Prowse isn't fit. Hasn't managed to get a set piece off the floor yet. And Walcott a passenger as usual. But everyone else is putting in a shift.

Lovely finish from AArmstrong - great that he's got that first goal monkey off his shoulders straight away.

And then there's Livramento... Don't want to jinx the kid, but his quality is outstanding. Looks like he could play any position on the pitch.

Richarlison being on a booking is something we should play on in the second half. He's a hot head.

SArmstrong on for Walcott at the break, Diallo for Prowse after an hour?

The longer we can hang in there, the more this crowd is going to turn against their team.

COYS

Link to post
Share on other sites

That half from Tino was absolutely incredible for a lad his age up against Richarlson. He has been sensational and I can now see why he was picked ahead of KWP. Going forward as well, he picks his moments and has loads of skill and confidence. Great finish from Armstrong to get him up and running. My only disappointment has been Theo who has done very little. Same again second half Saints.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Very encouraging.

The big question though: do we still do shit second halves?

Yeah, that’s the worrying bit. I want to see us play like the same team that played the first half unlike SO many times last season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Really? When he chased Keane down he was about 20 yards behind him and nearly caught him. He looked quick

Not like you to miss the sarcastic tone of a post. All the time we were chasing him people were saying that was the case.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think the story will end up being that Saints have played a blinder this summer. Every signing so far looks somewhere between good and sensational.   Tino's class was pretty clear pre-season. So damn exciting to see Adam hit the net.  And let's not forget how amazing Che Adams has been playing of late. That was a magnificent set up for the goal. Adam and Adams could be a big big story for us this year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Few Boos at everton 

They are already going into meltdown on the GOT forum.

My only worry is that we all know how other managers seem to be able to make some tweaks at HT and find a way back in, with Ralph unable to counter it. 

If that happens today, they still won't give Benitez credit for it. He's on a hiding to nothing with their fans.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

0-1 ht. So far so good. Wouldn't say we've been amazing, but we're bright. Bit heart in the mouth whenever Everton go direct, but we knew about their aerial strength going into the match.

Ward-Prowse isn't fit. Hasn't managed to get a set piece off the floor yet. And Walcott a passenger as usual. But everyone else is putting in a shift.

Lovely finish from AArmstrong - great that he's got that first goal monkey off his shoulders straight away.

And then there's Livramento... Don't want to jinx the kid, but his quality is outstanding. Looks like he could play any position on the pitch.

Richarlison being on a booking is something we should play on in the second half. He's a hot head.

SArmstrong on for Walcott at the break, Diallo for Prowse after an hour?

The longer we can hang in there, the more this crowd is going to turn against their team.

COYS

The monkey goes on your back, not your shoulders, sorry to go all MLT but it needed saying.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Yeah, that’s the worrying bit. I want to see us play like the same team that played the first half unlike SO many times last season.

Well, it’s a new season, crowds are back, new blood in the team, maybe, just maybe, we’ll break with recent tradition!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant goal created by Adam's and finished superbly by Armstrong. Timo is an absolute handful with skill aplenty. CB pair looking OK at the moment but I suspect there'll be a mistake or lapse of concentration made before the game is over. Would love us to beat the baggies to win our first opening day match since forever. COYS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They are already going into meltdown on the GOT forum.

My only worry is that we all know how other managers seem to be able to make some tweaks at HT and find a way back in, with Ralph unable to counter it. 

If that happens today, they still won't give Benitez credit for it. He's on a hiding to nothing with their fans.

We do have decent options on the bench now, which is a novelty.

Hope RH uses them with a little guile.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see the Burnley goal? Here's an example of the new way they are using VAR as the Brighton defender was clearly pushed over as the corner came in but it was allowed to stand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They are already going into meltdown on the GOT forum.

My only worry is that we all know how other managers seem to be able to make some tweaks at HT and find a way back in, with Ralph unable to counter it. 

If that happens today, they still won't give Benitez credit for it. He's on a hiding to nothing with their fans.

Why do they hate benitez so much? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Salisu done well so far up against Calvert Lewin too. If anything Salisu has bullied him.

Yes, I think we were all fearing the worst after the game last season but he's done well so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Salisu done well so far up against Calvert Lewin too. If anything Salisu has bullied him.

A big win for Salisu if it stays like that, because last season it was embarrassing.

Edited by Toussaint
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Not like you to miss the sarcastic tone of a post. All the time we were chasing him people were saying that was the case.

Ah yes, Missed that. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, just done my half time prayer..

I was surprised KWP wasn't playing but I recall he got a knock in the last friendly and Livramento has had a stormer. Armstrong scoring on his debut may not mean 3 points if my prayers fail, but it'll do wonders for his confidence: we all saw how Che took a bit of time to get going when he missed a few.

Walcott hasn't done too much but he's done defensive cover well. We're still not fully clicking -  I agree with the comment that JWP is not 100% - but we've still got Diallo and Stewie on the bench.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A. Armstrong picks the top corner with a right foot rocket, nearly beats Pickford low right with a left foot howitzer, puts the CDs under constant pressure with his pace, and already has mid-season understanding with Adams. Unbelievably, right now he’s looking like an upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Anyone sticking money on Everton now seeing as we always lose there and never win the first game of the season?

No I think we're home and dry, what with us being so good at holding on to leads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})