Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Hang on, you think it’s luck that I predicted a striker, who’s highly rated at Chelsea, tall, quick, strong and can finish, is and will be a very good player? 😂😂😂 and FWIW, I reserved judgement until I saw him in the flesh, I didn’t base anything of games at vitesse.

as for the others, JWP has improved in recent weeks (he was very much below par at the start of the season though). I still don’t rate him as highly as you and think he’s about our level in terms of being one of the better players at a club from 10th - 15th. But football is a game of opinions. 

Ralph - I’ve given him credit many times this season, in the main my gripe was his continued persistence with that shocking 4222 formation (see United now, it doesn’t work in this league. Teams too easily bypass the press once the intensity drops off and you’re left exposed at the back). Lone behold, we change style and formation and we errrr improve. 

If I remember rightly, you were wetting your pants over Perrud, his stats were amazing, I thought we were getting Roberto Carlos. The bloke can hardly get in the team. 

Fair you called Tino as being a good player, but if we’re gonna call luck….. unless you’re an avid Chelsea U23’s supporter. 

Broja had been good exclusively at U23 and in a weaker league and has hit the ground flying but it was not unrealistic when he'd had like two starts to back the more proven forward.

Jwp has always been great since Ralphs arrival and you have never rated him. He is miles above 10-15 level, its a game of opinions but that opinion is borderline ridiculous (like others you have shared previously).

4222 does work, worked very well for us in 2020, for rb leipzig, for Salzburg, etc. if it were such a poor formation then managers wouldn't have tried it so much. And Ralph has been using 3 at the back and changing up the formation since the beginning of the season (and big chunks of last season) you just haven't noticed. 

Perraud I wasn't "wetting my pants" I said he was a good fullback and would be a good signing, if you thought we were getting Roberto Carlos for £11m from Stade Brest I don't know what to tell you, maybe use slightly better critical reasoning skills. I maintain he is a good signing, he doesn't start because KWP has been incredible this season from lb, I think he is 3rd for overall ball progression in the league for defenders, and Tino is superb. 

Regarding Tino, I thought it was an insane signing for the price and potential. I didn't predict he was going to come in and dominate everything, that surprised even me, but being the Chelsea academy player of the season at just 18 is incredible. To get a player like that for just £5m is great business and it proved to be the case quickly.

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

Broja had been good exclusively at U23 and in a weaker league and has hit the ground flying but it was not unrealistic when he'd had like two starts to back the more proven forward.

Jwp has always been great since Ralphs arrival and you have never rated him. He is miles above 10-15 level, its a game of opinions but that opinion is borderline ridiculous (like others you have shared previously).

4222 does work, worked very well for us in 2020, for rb leipzig, for Salzburg, etc. if it were such a poor formation then managers wouldn't have tried it so much. And Ralph has been using 3 at the back and changing up the formation since the beginning of the season (and big chunks of last season) you just haven't noticed. 

Perraud I wasn't "wetting my pants" I said he was a good fullback and would be a good signing, if you thought we were getting Roberto Carlos for £11m from Stade Brest I don't know what to tell you, maybe use slightly better critical reasoning skills. I maintain he is a good signing, he doesn't start because KWP has been incredible this season from lb, I think he is 3rd for overall ball progression in the league for defenders, and Tino is superb. 

Regarding Tino, I thought it was an insane signing for the price and potential. I didn't predict he was going to come in and dominate everything, that surprised even me, but being the Chelsea academy player of the season at just 18 is incredible. To get a player like that for just £5m is great business and it proved to be the case quickly.

I'll comment only on Broja as that's what this thread is about.

It doesn't matter how many games Broja had played for us, your suggestion that Armstrong had a higher ceiling (more potential) than him was ridiculous. I don't know what criteria you used to gauge your opinion, but I suspect stats were a factor and if so the conclusion you arrived at highlights that stats only tell a part of the story.

Just watching these players and understanding what makes an average player and what makes a good one are all that is/was needed. Armstrong is a modern day Paul Dickov - tenacious, pacy ish, busy, OK at finishing, but little more. Broja offers a hell of a lot more in all departments and has that rarity of being big, skilful and fast. His performances and goals for Albania also showed his ability. 

It was obvious from the off that Broja has the ability to be a special player. Armstrong will never be, unfortunately. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'll comment only on Broja as that's what this thread is about.

It doesn't matter how many games Broja had played for us, your suggestion that Armstrong had a higher ceiling (more potential) than him was ridiculous. I don't know what criteria you used to gauge your opinion, but I suspect stats were a factor and if so the conclusion you arrived at highlights that stats only tell a part of the story.

Just watching these players and understanding what makes an average player and what makes a good one are all that is/was needed. Armstrong is a modern day Paul Dickov - tenacious, pacy ish, busy, OK at finishing, but little more. Broja offers a hell of a lot more in all departments and has that rarity of being big, skilful and fast. His performances and goals for Albania also showed his ability. 

It was obvious from the off that Broja has the ability to be a special player. Armstrong will never be, unfortunately. 

I think a lot of this is very harsh on Armstrong and a little generous to Broja. Armstrong isn't "pacy ish", he broke the prem top speed record at the start of the season, he is two footed, intelligent and passes well, he also is a very good dribbler. Broja has been class but he definitely has weaknesses and has more than a few games he has gone completely anonymous.

I also think it is too early to really conclusively judge either. Often the ability to adapt quicker isn't indicative of being better long term. We should wait and see, hopefully we pick up Broja long term and then we have both as options (although those suggesting £40m are a little overdoing it)

Edited by TWar

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think a lot of this is very harsh on Armstrong and a little generous to Broja. Armstrong isn't "pacy ish", he broke the prem top speed record at the start of the season, he is two footed, intelligent and passes well, he also is a very good dribbler. Broja has been class but he definitely has weaknesses and has more than a few games he has gone completely anonymous.

I also think it is too early to really conclusively judge either. Often the ability to adapt quicker isn't indicative of being better long term. We should wait and see, hopefully we pick up Broja long term and then we have both as options (although those suggesting £40m are a little overdoing it)

At the moment Armstrong is innefectual but Broja is not he may well become a decent player but at the moment surely you must see there are questions marks over him

3 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Armstrong is never going to be a CL level player which is fine as we are never going to be a CL level team.  He's had a woeful start in the PL but too early to give up on him yet as he may well improve, as did Adams, to a perfectly average sort of striker that a mid-table PL club has.

Very true but Broja is probably going to be a CL performer

12 minutes ago, John B said:

At the moment Armstrong is innefectual but Broja is not he may well become a decent player but at the moment surely you must see there are questions marks over him

I think given they have both only been here for half a season there are question marks over both, is Broja a flash in the pan, will Armstrong adapt better with more time?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, TWar said:

Like you, I'm an Armstrong fan, I think he will settle into Prem Football in time, and be a consistent contributor alongside Adams and hopefully Broja.   Your assessment of Broja though is diminishing your credibility as a forthright, thoughtful poster - Broja is a talent in the here-and-now, and he will only improve barring serious injury or adverse life events.   Just accept that he's good, very good.  We've all made mistakes in our assessments of players - Verlaine insisted that Steven Davis was ordinary; many questioned Sadio Mane;   I thought JWP was barely worth his place in the squad pre Ralph.   I accept that he is now a top class dead ball exponent with a solid all round game.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Like you, I'm an Armstrong fan, I think he will settle into Prem Football in time, and be a consistent contributor alongside Adams and hopefully Broja.   Your assessment of Broja though is diminishing your credibility as a forthright, thoughtful poster - Broja is a talent in the here-and-now, and he will only improve barring serious injury or adverse life events.   Just accept that he's good, very good.  We've all made mistakes in our assessments of players - Verlaine insisted that Steven Davis was ordinary; many questioned Sadio Mane;   I thought JWP was barely worth his place in the squad pre Ralph.   I accept that he is now a top class dead ball exponent with a solid all round game.    

Absolutely, we all misjudge players from time to time. Like you, I was never a JWP but he's proved me wrong and I'm happy to concede that. Broja is a class act and hopefully he can fulfil his potential. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I'm not saying Broja isn't good, he has been very good and is in my preferred starting 11 over Armstrong every week. So I absolutely admit I was wrong about that one as I thought Armstrong would adapt a lot better and Broja worse.

I just think, as exciting as he is now, half a season and 5 goals isn't quite enough to make him a £40m player and definitely a future champions league level player. It's worth not getting too carried away. Especially with a loan signing, if the price tag is £40m I'd prefer we look elsewhere.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I'm not saying Broja isn't good, he has been very good and is in my preferred starting 11 over Armstrong every week. I just think, as exciting as he is now, half a season and 5 goals isn't quite enough to make him a £40m player and definitely a future champions league level player. It's worth not getting too carried away.

Isn't it 5 goals from only 8 starts? That makes it impressive. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Isn't it 5 goals from only 8 starts? That makes it impressive. 

Yeah it's impressive, I'm not saying it isn't. But it is a small sample size. He needs to perform at that rate for a little while before we can call him a £40m player. Often players come in to the prem and put up silly numbers before falling away. Look at Pukki, Austin at QPR, or Michu. Gabbiadini scored 6 goals in his first 5 saints games iirc. 

He's good, I'm not arguing with that. He's in red hot form, but he probably isn't worth £40m as yet. And certainly isn't nailed on CL level or about to displace Lukaku as seems to have been suggested.

Edited by TWar

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm not saying Broja isn't good, he has been very good and is in my preferred starting 11 over Armstrong every week. I just think, as exciting as he is now, half a season and 5 goals isn't quite enough to make him a £40m player and definitely a future champions league level player. It's worth not getting too carried away. Especially with a loan signing, if the price tag is £40m I'd prefer we look elsewhere.

I think you're right.  Too early to label Broja a champions league level player - especially since we're all hoping he stays with us 🙂.    It's hard not to get a bit carried away by him though - I can't remember a 20 year old striker with his range of skills and attributes popping up too often!   He could well be a 40m player sooner than later.....which would probably rule us out, but let's hope the new ownership commits to a decent attempt to keep this young man a Saint.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

Often players come in to the prem and put up silly numbers before falling away.

Look at Pukki, Austin at QPR, or Michu. Gabbiadini scored 6 goals in his first 5 saints games iirc. 

Big difference is none of the players you mention are any where near as young as Broja. They all peaked at those times, I doubt Broja has peaked at only 20.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Big difference is none of the players you mention are any where near as young as Broja.

Nor do they have the same physical attributes. Austin/Michu we’re good finishers, gabbi and Puki were quick and decent off the shoulder. 

Broja has it all. It’s not all about goals or stats, they’ll come in time as will his understanding and intelligence of the game (providing he has good coaching). 

Players of his size and Strength with his pace are rare.

it shows TWars lack of understanding of the game I’m afraid. I’ve no doubt he’s a very smart lad and is probably a great football manager player. However, real life doesn’t equate to stats and computer games, as shown in this example. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Can’t imagine the stars would align for us to sign him permanently… Maybe a 2nd loan…

Will leave us a little exposed if he doesn’t return, though.

Would be amazing to be able to get him in permanently. Would hope that conversations have started on that, or at the very least the club know what Chelsea's intentions are. If it is a non starter we can then plan something and look elsewhere for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Nor do they have the same physical attributes. Austin/Michu we’re good finishers, gabbi and Puki were quick and decent off the shoulder. 

Broja has it all. It’s not all about goals or stats, they’ll come in time as will his understanding and intelligence of the game (providing he has good coaching). 

Players of his size and Strength with his pace are rare.

it shows TWars lack of understanding of the game I’m afraid. I’ve no doubt he’s a very smart lad and is probably a great football manager player. However, real life doesn’t equate to stats and computer games, as shown in this example. 

Never played football manager but given your comments regarding Pompey, JWP, and San Marino...

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah it's impressive, I'm not saying it isn't. But it is a small sample size. He needs to perform at that rate for a little while before we can call him a £40m player. Often players come in to the prem and put up silly numbers before falling away. Look at Pukki, Austin at QPR, or Michu. Gabbiadini scored 6 goals in his first 5 saints games iirc. 

He's good, I'm not arguing with that. He's in red hot form, but he probably isn't worth £40m as yet. And certainly isn't nailed on CL level or about to displace Lukaku as seems to have been suggested.

Broja isn't exactly worth £40m yet but I could imagine a club paying that because his potential is so huge and so obvious, he has a long contract and Chelsea won't want to sell.  Look at the prices that promising players have been going for:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8024615/Here-20-expensive-teenagers-history-1m-teen.html

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I think you can often tell if a player has it (the superstar level potential), you don't need history of stats to back that up. When Bale, Shaw, Ox etc made their first few starts with us, they didn't have any stats to back them up but you just knew they had a bit of superstar swagger about them and that eventually they'd get those high end stats.

As fans we're lucky to have witnessed the development of some great young players, so we should all be fairly good judges of a young player without needing stats to validate it. From what I have seen, Broja has that swagger about him, so does Tino. They will both go to the very top.

Compared to players like Armstrong, Adams etc, they'll do a job...but they just lack that extra step those young guys have.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think you can often tell if a player has it (the superstar level potential), you don't need history of stats to back that up. When Bale, Shaw, Ox etc made their first few starts with us, they didn't have any stats to back them up but you just knew they had a bit of superstar swagger about them and that eventually they'd get those high end stats.

As fans we're lucky to have witnessed the development of some great young players, so we should all be fairly good judges of a young player without needing stats to validate it. From what I have seen, Broja has that swagger about him, so does Tino. They will both go to the very top.

Compared to players like Armstrong, Adams etc, they'll do a job...but they just lack that extra step those young guys have.

I agree entirely. I'm old enough to have seen the debuts of Channon, Moran, Williams, Shearer and Le Tiss amongst others and you could instantly tell they were going to be very good players. They just had something about them from the start of their careers - I guess you might call it the X-Factor. Broja has got that for me and I immediately felt he was special from his early appearances notably his brief intro against West Ham.

I think Broja is very good and likely will become a top player, but he is right, it's a purple patch of form that could end. Loads of strikers go on runs of good form, score lots of goals in a short space of time or even have world class seasons, only to then drop off again and revert back to more average form.

Broja has a lot of ingredients to be a top class striker, the biggest ones are his combination of size and pace, it's what makes him hard to stop because usually big lads aren't that explosive and explosive players tend to be slighter and less good in the air. (Armstrong being an example) 

Armstrong has shown glimpses of what he can do but hasn't really put a run of games together of good performances, but the two goals he has scored have been excellent and it's not like he has missed hatfuls of chances or sitters. I mean to be honest the goal Broja scored against Brentford is the sort of chance that Armstrong would excel at, that sort of ball in behind using his pace breaking off from the left, he scored a few like that for Blackburn, but hasn't really had those sort of chances. We've hardly been the most creative team.

Plus got to say Broja's finish wasn't excellent, it was quite close to the keeper and he got a boot on it, but there was just enough on it for it to go in. I am not sure he is the most clinical finisher either (yet).

But anyway we need at least 3 good strikers in a 2 striker system, to cover injuries and form, so hopefully we can secure Broja long term or for at least another season and Armstrong comes good. 

Another advantage Broja has got is confidence. In an interview I heard him say about the through ball from Romeu, ‘I knew they couldn’t catch me.’ Against Premier League defenders (admittedly Brentford) that’s a confident comment for a young player to make. It’s also great the way he attacks defenders and makes strong runs into the penalty area, for example just before he passed the ball across the 6 yard box when no one was there at the back post to tap it in.

14 minutes ago, redder freak said:

Another advantage Broja has got is confidence. In an interview I heard him say about the through ball from Romeu, ‘I knew they couldn’t catch me.’ Against Premier League defenders (admittedly Brentford) that’s a confident comment for a young player to make. It’s also great the way he attacks defenders and makes strong runs into the penalty area, for example just before he passed the ball across the 6 yard box when no one was there at the back post to tap it in.

I've noticed Broja makes a lot of those runs where he beats defenders and cuts into the box so we need to capitalise more on that by stressing that runners must get into the box. As it was he had only two options against Brentford, Redmond and Perraud and both peeled away from goal whereas if they'd taken a gamble a tap-in was on. It is something we can work on and maybe get some joy from. 

• Like 1

You'd think he would want to finish the season for us at least. And Chelsea probably not looking to just flog him off to Newcastle or Tottenham, when they own him and probably getting quite a lot out of this deal at the moment.

So I don't think Chelsea are going to sell him to us in January, but I also think they're not going to sell him to anyone else either.

8 hours ago, TWar said:

the streets dont forget - 18 goals in 35 games in premier league 12/13

Edited by Convict Colony

Armando, Armando 

In our attack in our attack 

armando, Armando, Armando

Oasis, Hello

28 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

🗣……Wake me up 🎵🎶before ya go go ….👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

who needs ingsy 🎵🎶

when ya got Armando 🎶

…wake me up ..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

You'd think he would want to finish the season for us at least. And Chelsea probably not looking to just flog him off to Newcastle or Tottenham, when they own him and probably getting quite a lot out of this deal at the moment.

So I don't think Chelsea are going to sell him to us in January, but I also think they're not going to sell him to anyone else either.

I don’t think they can sell him in January to anyone else (or recall him) without both parties agreeing. You’d like to think we wouldn’t agree to that this January!

At the moment it’s obviously a perfect arrangement for both clubs. Chelsea have enough options already and he’s a potential for them in future.  Given that he’s a Chelsea player and has been with them for many years through his youth, You can’t imagine anything else other than that his heart is set on breaking through for them. As it should be. So anything we can do to keep him beyond next summer is a bonus.

• Like 3

Realistically another season on loan is probably the best we can hope for but it’s always nice to dream. Even if he does go back after a season with a bigger reputation than he came here with then we’re still winners. Players in a similar situation will see we’re the right place to come to develop whether on loan or permanently and clubs like Chelsea will see us as good place to send kids to. Obviously I’d love to keep him but if it doesn’t happen then it’s still a sign that we’re on the right track 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Not sure how this could possibly be a surprise to anyone. 

If we want to sign him permanently then really we need him to be utter dogshit between now and May. Maybe one more goal, and a sending off for kicking a goalie in the nads. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

We need the Broja talk to drop off. He's on everyones lips right now, and that won't help us get a deal. 

We need to be under the radar for this to happen. Its a catch 22

So, you want him to be crap from now on?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Too much praise seems to be even more damaging than too much criticism....Remember the fuss about Skacel and that guy who scored three when we got six against Wolves away, we gave him a big contract and he never did anything, I can't erven remember his name now..