Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. I think we’ve got used to Les and the dicking about in the transfer windows. Those in charge has done well shifting out the crap and getting good money for Ings acting quickly to use it. Still work to do but much more optimistic than at the weekend 

Very much agree with this. Credit to Crocker and Semmens. 

8/10 window for me so far. Vestergaard out a decent CB and Winger in to make it a 10/10.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Will be very surprised if Chelsea let him go on anything other than a loan, or at best for Saints, a buy back clause. 

tidy player though, he won’t come here to sit on the bench… and might be a decent FPL punt

Just looks like the sort of player who is going to bang the selection door down; which could spell trouble for Redmond, Elynoussi, Long and even Djenepo.    Surely Long will be out the door that Broja has burst through.

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Hope there’s an option to buy.  Has loads of potential.

Would doubt there will be, in part because Chelsea wouldn't really know where to set it.

They would have a much better sense of his worth after seeing him play PL football and at his age and with a long contract there is no rush, they could loan him out for two more seasons and he would only be 21.

I think we just need to see how he goes but not put too much of a futire view on this one.

I get why we are getting what looks like a quality player in on loan but it's always disapointing if he plays well and ends up being a valuable part of the team when we have no way of making it permanent 

Just now, Mr X said:

I get why we are getting what looks like a quality player in on loan but it's always disapointing if he plays well and ends up being a valuable part of the team when we have no way of making it permanent 

I think it's a good option, particularly if Armstrong comes in. Doing things like this means we can get in an extra couple of quality players that we wouldn't be able to afford in normal circumstances. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's a good option, particularly if Armstrong comes in. Doing things like this means we can get in an extra couple of quality players that we wouldn't be able to afford in normal circumstances. 

Totally agree just will be annoying if he's the business and we can't keep him but that's life! 

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I have no issue with this anymore tbh.

If a loan player fires us to 6th place and then leaves so be it, it means we've had the service of a quality player for 1 year. We might even get first dibs if said player enjoyed his season with us too. 

Equally, if loan player doesn't work out then apart from bearing the brunt of wages or a loan fee, it doesn't hurt our finances that much.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr X said:

Totally agree just will be annoying if he's the business and we can't keep him but that's life! 

It's the reality of modern day football. I expect more smaller clubs will start doing something similar if teams like Chelsea are just going to hoover up local talent. If this approach gives us an edge on the teams near the bottom then it's definitely worth it. 

• Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

I have no issue with this anymore tbh.

If a loan player fires us to 6th place and then leaves so be it, it means we've had the service of a quality player for 1 year. We might even get first dibs if said player enjoyed his season with us too. 

Equally, if loan player doesn't work out then apart from bearing the brunt of wages or a loan fee, it doesn't hurt our finances that much.

Steady on. I was thinking more about if a loan signing keeps us out of the relegation zone. 

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We were never going to get option to buy but this buys us time - we need to stay up until an owner is found and all deadwood gone.

I think this could be a good deal for us

The deadwood is virtually gone, with the exception of both GK's, who I believe are both out of contract in a year, unless one of them sign another deal...

My Albanian mate (his wife is Broja’s cousin) said he smashed it for their U21s but hasn’t really made an impact on their full international team yet in his 6 apps. Adding he lacked confidence in those 6 games. 

Had a very good loan spell in Holland, but clearly the PL is a big step up. He has lots of potential, hopefully we can see that on the pitch for Saints. Certainly a type of player we don’t have and gives us an alternate option to make a change in games, with Armstrong seemingly more of the Ings style.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We can only hope it's a KWP situation: he likes being at Saints and has no prospect of progression at Chelsea so a deal might be struck.

• Like 2

Delighted to get him in, but lets temper expectation. He looks excellent in the highlight reels but he will be a very raw talent, if he doesn't hit the ground immediately running he will need our support. He is a pup with an opportunity to find his way.

• Haha 1

We have a (supposedly) decent 4th choice striker as it goes that will give our bench some added quality to it, as well as our cup teams if we want to rest some players. In addition he is young and hungry (we all love a young and hungry player at Southampton) so it may very well be that he hits it off with us straight away and pushes his way to the front of the striker queue. 

You'd think Adams and Armstrong will start as the main line up with Tella either forcing his way in on occasion or playing deeper in the AM position. Either way this gives us good options up top and bulks the squad out. If only we can do the same to the defence and CM now!

I basically echo what has been said already. If Broja has a cracking season, he may feel comfortable enough here to either have another season on loan with us, or, if we can afford him, present an offer to Chelsea to make it permanent. We all know what Chelsea are like with their youth players, unless they have to use them then there is little chance they become a staple in the side and they try to offload them (Abraham, Tomori, Zouma) or stockpile them, and only a sprinkling of top class ones make it into the team. (James, Mount).

Of course if Broja is a massive hit this season, we probably lose him one way or the other (Chelsea do want him for their first team, his price soars beyond our price range, big clubs come in for him) but we will have benefitted from him this season and his goals will have powered us to a decent finish.

Personally I don't see him getting as much game time as Adams and Armstrong, but I really hope we see flashes of brilliance from him.

7 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

great little loan. looks like he is hungry and a bit of a fighter and can play wide or up front

can't help but wonder where this leaves long. makes the decision to give him a contract a while back absolutely bonkers

I'm wondering if Long is going to be in the reserves as a player coach like Lancashire. 

I don't see any circumstance where we sign this guy at the end of the season. He'd only leave to be first choice here and if he's good enough for us to guarantee him starts ahead of Adams, Armstrong and Tella then he'll be out of our price range. 

• Like 1

I still feel it could block tella a little which is a shame if there is no option on this dude.. yes tella can also play number 10 and will get some minutes but he would have been maybe the main option to replace the starting strikers if out,, so in a way to me i find it a bit strange to delvolop the Chelsea dude over our own ..

on the good side though.. OH MY GOD does this boy look special FREAK springs to mind.. he looks like a create your own player on Fifa when you take a big tall lanky dude and give him 99 pace and acceleration Jesus Christ .

i know anyone can look good to a extent on you tube but you can’t really cheat freakish attributes like this .. he is insanely rapid for such a big guy kind of looks like a young Zlatan but with rapid pace . Very exciting he looks better then Armstrong too. I wonder what our plans our with him ?

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I still feel it could block tella a little which is a shame if there is no option on this dude.. yes tella can also play number 10 and will get some minutes but he would have been maybe the main option to replace the starting strikers if out,, so in a way to me i find it a bit strange to delvolop the Chelsea dude over our own ..

on the good side though.. OH MY GOD does this boy look special FREAK springs to mind.. he looks like a create your own player on Fifa when you take a big tall lanky dude and give him 99 pace and acceleration Jesus Christ .

i know anyone can look good to a extent on you tube but you can’t really cheat freakish attributes like this .. he is insanely rapid for such a big guy kind of looks like a young Zlatan but with rapid pace . Very exciting he looks better then Armstrong too. I wonder what our plans our with him ?

Very different player to Tella, I think they'll both get plenty of chances over a long season and can see them working well together too. Will also be good for Tella to have more competition for places.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dman said:

Very much agree with this. Credit to Crocker and Semmens. 

8/10 window for me so far. Vestergaard out a decent CB and Winger in to make it a 10/10.

We've replaced one of the top PL strikers with a top Championship one.

Our LB will struggle to play to the level of Bertrand.

And we 've signed 3 kids from the Chelsea academy.

If that's 8/10......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

If that's 8/10......

The Bertrand of three years ago, maybe. Anyone who shows some interest can match the Bertrand of last season.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, itchen said:

The Bertrand of three years ago, maybe. Anyone who shows some interest can match the Bertrand of last season.

We'll see.  FB is one of the most important positions on the pitch in modern football, it's no longer the place you can hide a Dodds or Benali.

The French lad will do well to reach the level of Bertrand even in the past couple of seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

We'll see.  FB is one of the most important positions on the pitch in modern football, it's no longer the place you can hide a Dodds or Benali.

The French lad will do well to reach the level of Bertrand even in the past couple of seasons.

Agree, Bertrand was class for us, and although he wasn't quite at the level he once was last season, he was still very good. 

54 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

If that's 8/10......

According to some of our biggest supporters all signings have to do is something these days to be considered money well spent......

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Agree, Bertrand was class for us, and although he wasn't quite at the level he once was last season, he was still very good. 

Defensively, yes he still did pretty much everything expected of him. But as an attacking threat he was a non-entity. He ceased to be the player who would link up and overlap with the left winger and ping in crosses or drive into the box multiple times per game about 2 years ago. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Defensively, yes he still did pretty much everything expected of him. But as an attacking threat he was a non-entity. He ceased to be the player who would link up and overlap with the left winger and ping in crosses or drive into the box multiple times per game about 2 years ago. 

Equally, let's remember who our left wingers were in his final years - Redmond or Djenepo...

Not the Mane or Tadic we had in his first 2/4 years at the club.

• Like 2

Good move for the player and club. With the likes of Chelsea taking too many players at a young age, this will become more common. It’s weird when it’s two clubs in the same division still but increasingly normal. If he bags goals for us and puts pressure on others to perform, it’s a win. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja - Official: Signs on Loan
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja