Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

We've replaced one of the top PL strikers with a top Championship one.

Our LB will struggle to play to the level of Bertrand.

And we 've signed 3 kids from the Chelsea academy.

If that's 8/10......

Top PL strikers cost huge amounts of money.

Lukaku has scored in the PL per season, 17, 15, 10, 18, 25, 15, 12 and he just cost £100 million at the age of 28.

Kane will cost City upwards of £100 million at 28 with dodgy ankles.

The world's biggest clubs are struggling to buy proven goalscorers for decent fees, how do you expect us to do it. 

Ings has scored 7, 22 and 12 goals for us, He's only actually scored over 20 goals twice in his entire career so far, so good player yes, one of the PL's top strikers? No not really, he's basically had one very good season and then some other decent seasons. I mean someone compared him to James Beattie which seems about right, good but not top striker who got the fringes of the England team and had one very good stand out season.  So we are not really needing to replace a huge amount of goals, part of thew reason for that is because quite often he's not on the pitch and with age and his injury record that trend of him missing games is only likely to get worse.

I am not sure how the club be criticised here.

We offered the guy our highest ever wage and a 4 year deal for a 29 year old with a poor injury record. 

He turned it down and we received around £30 million for said injury prone 29 year old with a year left on his deal, probably more than any of us were expecting.

And we've gone out and replaced him with the 2nd top goalscorer in the Championship, who's just had his best ever season (and scored more goals than Danny Ings ever managed in the Championship btw), who is 24, so could improve, by the sounds of it fits our style of play and also loaned in a promising young player from Chelsea as an extra option.

Plus two highly rated young players from Chelsea# youth team, including seemingly the best rated young fullback in the country. 

And replaced another aging out of contract player, who had clearly declined in ability over the last 18 months, with the best performing left back in the French league last year. 

 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

We've replaced one of the top PL strikers with a top Championship one.

Our LB will struggle to play to the level of Bertrand.

And we 've signed 3 kids from the Chelsea academy.

If that's 8/10......

For the last 2-3 season Bertrand was an absolute shadow of his former self.

Rarely burst forward to whip in a cross.

Defended really poorly.

Did that, “I’ll just wait ages to take a throw in while the other team gets organized and then just throw it to them” thing.

Generally just strolled about with a strop on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

For the last 2-3 season Bertrand was an absolute shadow of his former self.

Rarely burst forward to whip in a cross.

Defended really poorly.

Did that, “I’ll just wait ages to take a throw in while the other team gets organized and then just throw it to them” thing.

Generally just strolled about with a strop on.

Yeah, honestly it won't take much for Perraud to exceed Bertrand's level for the last few years.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Delighted to get him in, but lets temper expectation. He looks excellent in the highlight reels but he will be a very raw talent, if he doesn't hit the ground immediately running he will need our support. He is a pup with an opportunity to find his way.

Agree, just like James Beattie when he first came to us. Very pleased with this signing and we have some height at last up front.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Delighted to get him in, but lets temper expectation. He looks excellent in the highlight reels but he will be a very raw talent, if he doesn't hit the ground immediately running he will need our support. He is a pup with an opportunity to find his way.

He's 24 to be fair, I don't expect him to start scoring immediately but it's not like he's a youngster who we need to wait years to see the best of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He's 24 to be fair, I don't expect him to start scoring immediately but it's not like he's a youngster who we need to wait years to see the best of.

He's 19

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Broja said he is "excited" to be joining another Premier League club.

"Southampton have a good history and they play in the best league in the world," he said.

"So it's amazing for a young player to experience it, be in and around a Premier League team, and learn and develop from the older players, the staff and everyone here. It's a very good opportunity.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

he’ll score all night thinks pompeys shite, Armando

hes fast and strong, Better than Shane !ong, Armando

Though he’s only here on loan there’s no regret

Hes Our Albania star via the M4 Armando

Abba - Fernando 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

We've replaced one of the top PL strikers with a top Championship one.

Our LB will struggle to play to the level of Bertrand.

And we 've signed 3 kids from the Chelsea academy.

If that's 8/10......

It’s all relative. Given the shit show we had with Les / Ross at the helm, this has been a pretty positive window. 

We’ve shifted most of the deadwood, got a decent deal for Ings and added some much needed depth. 

Do I think we’ll struggle this season? Yes, most probably. I still think we lack quality at CB and desperately need a decent attack mid / number 10. But for what we were expecting, I think we’ve done best we realistically could. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rooney said:

Agree, just like James Beattie when he first came to us. Very pleased with this signing and we have some height at last up front.

Yes, feel quite positive about this one as should help with that feeling we had so often last season where it didn't feel we had any good plan B options from the bench if we needed to change the game. This lad may be young but he looks like he has different attributes to our other forwards which should give Ralph more ability to change things up if plan A isn't working. From the clips he looks pretty adept at holding it up and bringing others into the game, which will make him a good option for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/08/2021 at 11:29, charliemiller said:

God if they give us the option to buy this lad chelsea are nuts.

 

Looks the absolute business , i know its only a you tube but well impressed

So posters are raving about this lad but how does Ralph feel about it?.............come on as a sub when were losing with 4-5 minutes left and keep getting overlooked?

So why do we play or sign other teams youngsters and not any of our own youngsters?.............i know  they arnt up to much. Seriously though RH wont put any playing time or it would seem too much trust in them. But yet again his team selection is baffling to say the least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have Broja on the bench and give him as much game time as possible. He is just the sort of tall, quick, powerful, skillful offensive player we lack. Somehow we need to get more height, power and athleticism on the field as we are very weak in this area compared with most teams in the Premier League.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2021 at 10:30, once_bitterne said:

We've replaced one of the top PL strikers with a top Championship one.

Our LB will struggle to play to the level of Bertrand.

And we 've signed 3 kids from the Chelsea academy.

If that's 8/10......

Pretty much how I see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'd have Broja on the bench and give him as much game time as possible. He is just the sort of tall, quick, powerful, skillful offensive player we lack. Somehow we need to get more height, power and athleticism on the field as we are very weak in this area compared with most teams in the Premier League.

Ralph says he isn't ready yet, suggests it might be some time before he will be, needs to understand the way we play. Does make you wonder why we have brought him in if its going to be a while till he is ready.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Ralph says he isn't ready yet, suggests it might be some time before he will be, needs to understand the way we play. Does make you wonder why we have brought him in if its going to be a while till he is ready.

It can't be that complicated. He's had a pre season with Tuchel who plays a pressing style. Armstrong has come from Blackburn who play nothing like us.

Having 2 right backs on the bench yesterday, and not this lad, made no sense to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, egg said:

It can't be that complicated. He's had a pre season with Tuchel who plays a pressing style. Armstrong has come from Blackburn who play nothing like us.

Having 2 right backs on the bench yesterday, and not this lad, made no sense to me. 

Quite, but I would take what RH says with a pinch of salt, on his way out and looking bewildered and confused like Pellegrino was. Tbh, he will have had a far better and more professional pre season with Tuchel and Chelsea, lad should be on the bench. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Ralph says he isn't ready yet, suggests it might be some time before he will be, needs to understand the way we play. Does make you wonder why we have brought him in if its going to be a while till he is ready.

He's certainly not alone in needing to understand the way we play - I think that goes for most of us.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, while Broja's obligatory YouTube vid showed him to have lots of potential, I wasn't convinced he was ready for the step up to Premier League football and his goalscoring record in the Dutch League would back that up. I expect he'll get some minutes as the season progresses

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2021 at 15:15, OttawaSaint said:

For the last 2-3 season Bertrand was an absolute shadow of his former self.

Rarely burst forward to whip in a cross.

Defended really poorly.

Did that, “I’ll just wait ages to take a throw in while the other team gets organized and then just throw it to them” thing.

Generally just strolled about with a strop on.

First impressions say that it will take a while for Perraud to reach even the levels of Bertrand v.2020.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

First impressions say that it will take a while for Perraud to reach even the levels of Bertrand v.2020.

1 game.

He did nothing wrong, he also did nothing extraordinary. Not sure what you're expecting from him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

1 game.

He did nothing wrong, he also did nothing extraordinary. Not sure what you're expecting from him.

I also didnt think Moussa helped out, many times Perraud wanted to overlap and Moussa came inside and ignored him.

The best move came when Perraud played Moussa through via a 1-2, with Moussa failing to cut it back to either Che or Perraud, and we got a corner.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I also didnt think Moussa helped out, many times Perraud wanted to overlap and Moussa came inside and ignored him.

The best move came when Perraud played Moussa through via a 1-2, with Moussa failing to cut it back to either Che or Perraud, and we got a corner.

It's always the defenders that get the blame, but as you identify, its the system and the midfielders in front of them that make them look poor, I wouldn't want to play behind Walcott or Djneppo.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does someone really need to know all our pressing triggers to be a striker on the bench (especially with 9 subs!)? If we're a goal down with 15 minutes to go and one of our strikers is knackered then I'd rather this guy came on and tried to score than Redmond come on and do a good job closing down.

Sounds like Ralph being a bit of a bellend to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, egg said:

It can't be that complicated. He's had a pre season with Tuchel who plays a pressing style. Armstrong has come from Blackburn who play nothing like us.

Having 2 right backs on the bench yesterday, and not this lad, made no sense to me. 

I've heard he is undergoing some 're-education' work to ensure he comletely forgets his learned ability to defend once the clock reaches 60 minutes.  Once he's completed this he should be up to date with our current tactics.

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/08/2021 at 21:55, Dman said:

Very much agree with this. Credit to Crocker and Semmens. 
 

8/10 window for me so far. Vestergaard out a decent CB and Winger in to make it a 10/10.

So if JWP goes we would have lost our best CB, best midfielder and best striker.

You'd be upgrading your rating to a 9.5/10 window then I assume?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

So if JWP goes we would have lost our best CB, best midfielder and best striker.

You'd be upgrading your rating to a 9.5/10 window then I assume?

It’s all relative, clearly. Anyone with half a brain can tell that financially, we’re in the mud. 

This window, we’ve offloaded wasters such as Lemina and got very good money for players that don’t want to be here in ings and vestergaard. 
 

Given what they’ve got to play with, comparing to the shit show of windows we had under previous leadership, Semmens and Crooker have done well, imo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2021 at 15:16, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, honestly it won't take much for Perraud to exceed Bertrand's level for the last few years.

On viewing so far not sure where your confidence comes from for this statement? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja

Love it guys, keep it coming! This writing off perraud and the transfer window in general after a bad 45min, brilliant stuff! 👍

But also more reactionary than a bunch of teenage girls 🙄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captainchris said:

On viewing so far not sure where your confidence comes from for this statement? 

More from how useless bertrand was the last two seasons than how much I've seen of Perraud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dman said:

It’s all relative, clearly. Anyone with half a brain can tell that financially, we’re in the mud. 

This window, we’ve offloaded wasters such as Lemina and got very good money for players that don’t want to be here in ings and vestergaard. 
 

Given what they’ve got to play with, comparing to the shit show of windows we had under previous leadership, Semmens and Crooker have done well, imo. 

Oh yes, you're quite correct we are financially f'ked.  

But we'll be a whole lot more f'ked if we get relegated so it's a delicate balancing act just how far the club can weaken the squad to improve the short-term financial situation without being cast-iron certs for relegation.

Sadly for fans, when Semmens and co. are doing no more than trying to finish 17th there is very little incentive for fans to pay money to attend games, etc.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On the face of it this is a bit of an underwhelming signing. I was hoping for a bit of a coup signing from abroad or a decent player with character who knows the English leagues like the Forest player. This seems like quite a gamble and we have to hope it pays off or we are in trouble. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

On the face of it this is a bit of an underwhelming signing. I was hoping for a bit of a coup signing from abroad or a decent player with character who knows the English leagues like the Forest player. This seems like quite a gamble and we have to hope it pays off or we are in trouble. 

I think you have the wrong thread! This one is for the Chelsea striker!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Broja skills video and one of his many classy goals really stood out for me. He's in an all blue kit and the ball is played into the box from the left wing and Broja opens his foot and strokes it into the bottom corner with a cushioned finish. The goal is a sublime piece of skill but Broja makes it look easy,

Edited by Teddeer
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd say it's pretty clear he's a very good player. He'll be pushing the Che & A pretty soonid have thought.

Surely Broja will be considered for a wide attacking role too.   Don't think Adams or Armstrong will be easy to shift - they look a strong partnership in the making.   The signing of Broja, Livramento and Small seems like a masterstroke strategy from Saints, where effectively we've acknowledged that our own Academy isn't churning out the kind of starlets these three appear to be.   Compare our strategy to that of Burnley....they've just brought in a "washed up" Aaron Lennon.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Ralph puts Broja on the bench on Saturday as I think he's a useful player to bring on and mix things up. Sadly, I expect he'll prefer Shane Long who is well past his best and no longer capable of producing game changing moments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I reckon we are hoping to sign him permanently after his loan, just judging by some of the quotes from Semmens in the fans forum just after we signed him.

Hopefully he does well this season but not too well...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I thought Hungary looked fairy decent for a time against England, but today makes that first half pretty dreadful. 

They drew with Germany and France in the Euros so does that make it good again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})