Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

Goal and two assists so far tonight v San Marino

Yeah, watched the last half hour and he was unplayable albeit against a shit San Marino. They couldn’t get near him. One goal, two assists isn’t bad for a second half sub and he would probably have got another assist if his strike partner was better at finishing. Oh and he hit the crossbar too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, watched the last half hour and he was unplayable albeit against a shit San Marino. They couldn’t get near him. One goal, two assists isn’t bad for a second half sub and he would probably have got another assist if his strike partner was better at finishing. Oh and he hit the crossbar too.

Certainly seems like a player who knows how to finish. No fuss, just scores. Hammer of a right foot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Only if we sign him permanently, which at the moment doesn’t seem to be part of the loan agreement with Chelsea.

Only reason they would sell him to us is if he is really shit this season and makes no impact. Didn't he just sign a long deal with Chelsea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Only reason they would sell him to us is if he is really shit this season and makes no impact. Didn't he just sign a long deal with Chelsea?

I think so. Mind you, that deal would be so they can extract a decent transfer fee should things not work out for him there. He might be a bit like Minamino in that he won’t be used that often when we’ve got our players on permanent contracts 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Only if we sign him permanently, which at the moment doesn’t seem to be part of the loan agreement with Chelsea.

Let's hope he has a great season with us, really enjoys it here, Chelsea enjoy seeing him develop, and allow us to have him for a second season on loan then :) Chelsea seem to do that quite often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Got into the European team of the week even though he only paid 45 minutes. This lad should be one of the first names on the team sheet. We may not have him for long so let's make the most of that time.

I think our priority - at the moment - is to start getting both Adams and Armstrong on the scoresheet PDQ.

The idea of putting one of two our £15 million buys on the bench, in order to give a loan player game time doesn't seem right.

Broja certainly impressed during the week, but as he has already played twice in a week  he may not be ready for a full game,

but I would see him as first change sub.  and not have to wait until the 80th minute to get on the pitch. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't for the life of me understand why there aren't thousands of Saints fans clamouring for this lad to be in the starting line up. Even before yesterday's superb cameo role he has been knocking loudly on the door with performances for Albania. Yesterday he was in a different class to any of our players and he only came on for little more than 20 minutes. In that short time he single-handedly transformed the direction of the game with a brilliant run down the right wing in which he gave a West Ham defender a couple of yards start and just breezed past him leaving him treading water before sliding a ball towards Moi which almost led to a goal, he turned their defence near the half way line, beat another man and fizzed a shot against the post and then had a late header cleared off the line. I mean come on, what has he got to do? when was the last time we saw a forward generate that kind of excitement and get people out of their seats? He is head and shoulders above any other striker at the club. He must start against Man City.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Teddeer said:

when was the last time we saw a forward generate that kind of excitement and get people out of their seats? He is head and shoulders above any other striker at the club. He must start against Man City.

Good question. Since our PL return, nobody. The lad seems to have that rare ability to create something out of nothing and I agree, he must start against City. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Yes certainly an exciting prospect and hopefully in training this week Ralph will see how impressive he is.

Therein lies the issue for me. He hasn’t worked out yet playing Tino and KWP together on the right might be a good idea. 
This lad looks to have it all - pace, strength, height and an eye for a goal. We have him for a year, bloody well make use of him Ralph instead of titling round with Adams and Armstrong. Whichever works best with Broja in training is your second striker, it really isn’t rocket science.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Therein lies the issue for me. He hasn’t worked out yet playing Tino and KWP together on the right might be a good idea. 
This lad looks to have it all - pace, strength, height and an eye for a goal. We have him for a year, bloody well make use of him Ralph instead of titling round with Adams and Armstrong. Whichever works best with Broja in training is your second striker, it really isn’t rocket science.

Maybe he has and it wouldn't? Alexander Arnold struggled there for England

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks the real deal, but can’t see him being favoured ahead of Adams or Armstrong in a 4141 formation…i.e. when has a loan striker ever been favoured over TWO permanent players? He’ll get games from the bench pretty much all season I suspect (sadly).
One thing is for certain, he starkly shows the difference in quality between a true Prem quality striker and the Championship level purchases we’ve made in recent times. I wonder if buying AB for say £30m would have been better business than the combined purchases for Che and Armstrong, had that been an option of course?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Looks the real deal, but can’t see him being favoured ahead of Adams or Armstrong in a 4141 formation…i.e. when has a loan striker ever been favoured over TWO permanent players? He’ll get games from the bench pretty much all season I suspect (sadly).
One thing is for certain, he starkly shows the difference in quality between a true Prem quality striker and the Championship level purchases we’ve made in recent times. I wonder if buying AB for say £30m would have been better business than the combined purchases for Che and Armstrong, had that been an option of course?

Steady now, he's had a cup game against a half hearted Newport and 20 mins (albeit exciting) against a tired West Ham defence. He looked very good, but lets wait and see how he gets on from the start over a run of fixtures before hailing him as the second coming.

Plus, we don't want him to be TOO good otherwise we'll have no chance of signing him in the summer 😉

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Steady now, he's had a cup game against a half hearted Newport and 20 mins (albeit exciting) against a tired West Ham defence. He looked very good, but lets wait and see how he gets on from the start over a run of fixtures before hailing him as the second coming.

Plus, we don't want him to be TOO good otherwise we'll have no chance of signing him in the summer 😉

Indeed. Good start but some people are going over the top based on a very short period of time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Maybe he has and it wouldn't? Alexander Arnold struggled there for England

I think it’s absurd to think that it’s never occurred to a professional football manager, or any of the coaching staff, to try something which a bunch of nobodies on the internet have thought of. I’m sure a lot of stuff gets tried in training and never carried forward into the match day routine. Saying he’s good at running forward and crossing, therefore put him in midfield is far too simplistic a take on it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, egg said:

Good question. Since our PL return, nobody. The lad seems to have that rare ability to create something out of nothing and I agree, he must start against City. 

Well that's nonsense. Ings, Mane, Rodriguez, Lambert all got the fans excited and out of their seat. 

He might just be the paciest forward we've had though. Not sure if Jonno Quick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ings definitely carried the team at times and created something out of nothing, popping a goal out of nowhere. Against Liverpool, Burnley, Spurs immediately come to mind. It was shit that he left, but it’s revisionism to forget how good a striker he was and hail the new guy as the best thing ever after a cameo off the bench. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Ings definitely carried the team at times and created something out of nothing, popping a goal out of nowhere. Against Liverpool, Burnley, Spurs immediately come to mind. It was shit that he left, but it’s revisionism to forget how good a striker he was and hail the new guy as the best thing ever after a cameo off the bench. 

I'm backing my judgement from what I've seen. In my experience you can usually tell quite quickly whether a player has something special and my instincts tell me Broja does. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'm backing my judgement from what I've seen. In my experience you can usually tell quite quickly whether a player has something special and my instincts tell me Broja does. 

He could well be the next Danny Cadamarteri or Francis Jeffers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought his introduction changed everything on Saturday (apart from the result sadly).  He brought pace, energy, directness and physicality.  He looks a great prospect to me - reminded me of early James Beattie (I think Broja might be faster but nowhere near Jonno Quick as some are suggesting).

However it was 20 minutes against two tired carthorse defenders at the end of physically intense game played in hot weather.  So to suggest he's suddenly going to be different class to the other options, the answer to our problems and a must-play regular from here on seems very premature to me.  

It's great to have hime here (for as long as it lasts) and I hope he proves as invaluable as some here are saying but let's not throw too much expectation his way yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Ings definitely carried the team at times and created something out of nothing, popping a goal out of nowhere. Against Liverpool, Burnley, Spurs immediately come to mind. It was shit that he left, but it’s revisionism to forget how good a striker he was and hail the new guy as the best thing ever after a cameo off the bench. 

Yes agree. Broja looks good so far and I'm sure he is definitely going add a lot to our group of strikers as looks to have some attributes the others don't have in terms of speed and power. But it was just a cameo and you have to take into account it's easier to have an impact with fresh legs vs tired defenders. So shouldn't get too carried away about him yet imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John B said:

Other people could well be better than you at spotting a good player they do exist you know

I wouldn't base my opinion on a players ability based on 1 game either good or bad. I hope he's brilliant but to say he's head and shoulders above any other striker at the club at this stage is a bit silly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John B said:

Other people could well be better than you at spotting a good player they do exist you know

The manager of the team, for one.

Let's see if this kid becomes the nailed on first choice striker from next week, shall we?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wouldn't base my opinion on a players ability based on 1 game either good or bad. I hope he's brilliant but to say he's head and shoulders above any other striker at the club at this stage is a bit silly. 

Unless he talking literally, of course. I mean, Armando is a fair bit taller than both Che and Adam... 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})