Jump to content

Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

Anything other than a comprehensive away win possible here? Perhaps we'll go 2 up and then lose 3-2 with all theirs coming in the 2nd half.

At least Livramento will be quality again, and hopefully Armstrong can get another goal to get up and running at SMS. Just hope for the best I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does seem a bit pointless this one.

Even when we’ve played well against them at home in recent years, we’ve still managed to lose. Now we’re shite and they haven’t lost an away game since 1978, 

Unless we miraculously buy a GK, CB and a DM in the next week, we will get dicked.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Does seem a bit pointless this one.

Even when we’ve played well against them at home in recent years, we’ve still managed to lose. Now we’re shite and they haven’t lost an away game since 1978, 

Unless we miraculously buy a GK, CB and a DM in the next week, we will get dicked.

 

We've played Man Utd at St Mary's 16 times, guess how many times we've won? They absolutely love visiting here, often coming from behind to win. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JRM said:

We've played Man Utd at St Mary's 16 times, guess how many times we've won? They absolutely love visiting here, often coming from behind to win. 

I can only remember three times they didn’t - 2x 1-1 (Poch last game and Vestergaard header) and the Beattie winner in 03-04. So I’m going to say 13?

Must be at least 6 of those they came from behind to win?

Edited by ErwinK1961
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very comfortable away win, after a lively 30 mins or so.

Walker-Peters, Bednarek & Stuart Armstrong have to start. 

I am still baffled why Stuart Armstrong never featured against Everton. Why?

 

0-4

Edited by AlexLaw76
Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the odds of another 0-9 defeat 😂

May stick a pound on that, I hope Ralph is concerned and thinks he may need to change tactics for this one. 
 

I think we will play ok and still lose and as it will be a battling point people will be a little happier with the loss, which won’t be so bad if we get something from the game after. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I can only remember three times they didn’t - 2x 1-1 (Poch last game and Vestergaard header) and the Beattie winner in 03-04. So I’m going to say 13?

Must be at least 6 of those they came from behind to win?

Yeah we've beaten them once 18 years ago, absolute bogey side for us it says something when we have a better record at Old Trafford than we do at St Mary's. They even had the honour of relegating us in 05. 

We've had a 0-0 as well under Puel but it's generally been a reoccurring tail of disappointment, hearing their away end drown out our support all game. 

During the dark days of lockdown I'd imagined the first proper full return to St Mary's would be buzzing, full house great atmosphere but it's going to be shit isn't it. An ex-colleague of mine living near Guildford asked me to help get tickets for him and his 11 year old son, apparently his kid has "really got into football during the euros and wants to see some of the star names",  ground will be full of cretins like that trying to take pics of Shaw, Maguire and Sancho, obviously I said I couldn't help but tickets are on sale to anyone with a purchase history since 2014 it won't be hard to get tickets.

No doubt the 9-0 from last season will be mentioned plenty of times in the build up. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be horrific viewing.

Our only hope is that at home against the "bigger sides" last season, we didn't do so badly (narrow defeats by Man Utd and City, draws against Chelsea, Leicester, West Ham, beat Liverpool). Spurs the only team out of the top 7 who comprehensively beat us.

Just got to go with pace and hope we counter attack at lightning speed. Tella has to start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one of our many bogey fixtures. A Man United win is pretty much guaranteed. They were great going forward yesterday and our defence won’t be able to live with them. Luckily I’m playing golf. 1-4 loss if we’re lucky 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame the next game isn’t Arsenal away, then we could start the season with three fixtures we’ve won a combined total of once in 20 years. I think we can file this one under ‘license to print money at the bookies’ although what odds you’d get on anything other than a crushing United victory I can’t imagine.

Team… second game of the season and I already don’t care. Pick either of our sh*te goalkeepers at random and stick 10 bodies somewhere in front of him.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

What are the odds of another 0-9 defeat 😂

May stick a pound on that, I hope Ralph is concerned and thinks he may need to change tactics for this one. 
 

I think we will play ok and still lose and as it will be a battling point people will be a little happier with the loss, which won’t be so bad if we get something from the game after. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Shame the next game isn’t Arsenal away, then we could start the season with three fixtures we’ve won a combined total of once in 20 years. I think we can file this one under ‘license to print money at the bookies’ although what odds you’d get on anything other than a crushing United victory I can’t imagine.

Well if you boxed clever an Everton/Man Utd double was the way to go at the bookies 🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Team… second game of the season and I already don’t care. Pick either of our sh*te goalkeepers at random and stick 10 bodies somewhere in front of him.

Pretty much how I feel. Yesterdays team felt like a tombola XI anyway. Hopefully we can get a decent and experienced CB in sharpish and get some leadership in to help when the heads go down. 

They'll be stronger next week. I reckon Cavani up top to bully us, and Greenwood out wide. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thankfully I'll be unaware of the impending thrashing, somewhere on Snowdon, hopefully with no mobile to avoid looking. 

I'm in Wales too at a festival. Was also there a few years ago when we drew 1-1 against them at home so hopefully it's a lucky omen but I sincerely doubt it will be.

Can't see anything other than a comfortable win for Man Utd. 4-1 is my prediction.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually getting very anxious about returning to St Mary's next week for the first time in 18 months. Not because of Covid - I can wear a mask and wash my hands etc - but because of the shit show I'm likely to witness aginst a team that looked on fire yesterday. How Ralph's tombola picked eleven will cope with them I just dont know. 

Its gonna be a long season.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Skybet are offering a 20% return on your money if you think they'll be more than 1 goal. You'll be hard pushed to get a better guaranteed interest rate than that - Just saying....

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Tella

Adams A. Armstrong

This is what I'd play.... perhaps even drop Stu into a number 6 position to bring more bodies into midfield.

United looked ruthless yesterday and Pogba/Fernandes were fantastic.

My prediction will sadly be Saints 1-4 Man United 😟 😟 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My team 

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Tino JWP Romeu Diallo Armstrong

Armstrong

 

However, I am certain it will be 4222 and we will open up like the Red Sea

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Tella

Adams A. Armstrong

This is what I'd play.... perhaps even drop Stu into a number 6 position to bring more bodies into midfield.

United looked ruthless yesterday and Pogba/Fernandes were fantastic.

My prediction will sadly be Saints 1-4 Man United 😟 😟 

I'd play the same XI but with A Armstrong, S Armstrong, Tella in a 3 behind Adams. He won't go 4231 though, he's regimented in his failing 4222.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

However, I am certain it will be 4222 and we will open up like the Red Sea

It will be that formation, he all but admitted that’s the only way he’ll play at the forum Tuesday night. Apparently we have the players that suit that system 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

What are the odds of another 0-9 defeat 😂

May stick a pound on that, I hope Ralph is concerned and thinks he may need to change tactics for this one. 
 

I think we will play ok and still lose and as it will be a battling point people will be a little happier with the loss, which won’t be so bad if we get something from the game after. 

Evens

Link to post
Share on other sites

My rough calculation has us winning just 4 Prem games in 2021, drawing 2 and losing 16.  So why the pessimism?  Two of the 4 wins were against sides that were relegated....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

What are the odds of another 0-9 defeat 😂

 

It's quite likely they will score 5 or 6. But I hope it's not 9. But it doesn't feel impossible. They'll be wondering if they can break another record of being the first team to beat another 9 nil in consecutive games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a question of whether another really heavy defeat is worth taking on the chin for RH to decide he’s had enough. Don’t think the club can afford to sack him and it’s a nailed on 20th place if he stays as he will remain as stubborn or cragfast as he did yesterday and has been last 6 months. I like him and it’s a great shame, but yesterday was his final opportunity to show he had evolved over the summer.

He hasn’t grasped that if you do something a certain way 20 times and it still doesn’t work, keeping on exactly the same won’t change the outcome. The lack of subs, especially KWP, and selection of McCarthy, was just bizarre and Pellegrino/Branfoot esque.

The one time things had to change was v Leicester after Vesty sent off and should have been a turning point, but Mr Dogmatic made an immediate return. 

I will go 6-1 United, should enough for most managers to say this isn’t working out, but if two 9-0s won’t do it…..

I always want Saints to get a result but the worst result is a 2 or 3 goal defeat where Utd ease off against lower league standard opposition, at least if they are ruthless like v Leeds we might see some change.

Edited by saint1977
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a shame you can't just 'simulate' this game and skip to the next one. Could just forfeit it and take the 0-3 now. 

Not sure Utd would be happy with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.5fb10fdd38345b0c230fbb19fb7846c4.png

A fair few seats left in the £89 padded section... 

In fact a lot of seats still left in large parts of the ground, only the Itchen South at the £30 price point has sold out, as well as the Itchen Premium

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nta786 said:

image.png.5fb10fdd38345b0c230fbb19fb7846c4.png

A fair few seats left in the £89 padded section... 

In fact a lot of seats still left in large parts of the ground, only the Itchen South at the £30 price point has sold out, as well as the Itchen Premium

Good,might send a message to the goons running this outfit.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saints foreva said:

Comfortably 3-0 away win. 

The very sad thing is I'd probably rip your arm off for a 3 nil loss right now.  I dread to think what they will do to us. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ I cannot believe that the posters on this forum actually call themselves Saints fans!

it has been taken over by pundit wannabes so why even bother?

I am sure 99.9 of true fans would concur

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to see a robust defensive strategy . Otherwise high goal deficits will dictate this season again. I would almost be prepared to see Puel back here if Ralph and Gao can't sort it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Christ I cannot believe that the posters on this forum actually call themselves Saints fans!

it has been taken over by pundit wannabes so why even bother?

I am sure 99.9 of true fans would concur

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a vast number of posters here are customers rather than fans, a sad phenomenon of modern football. If the product doesn't meet with their approval then they scream for a refund and demand that heads roll.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Christ I cannot believe that the posters on this forum actually call themselves Saints fans!

it has been taken over by pundit wannabes so why even bother?

I am sure 99.9 of true fans would concur

Wtf?

So to be a true fan you must never voice negative opinions about the club, and you should suck up everything that goes on?

It's not a fun time to be a Saints fan, it wasn't fun during the 90's at stages either. People voiced the dissatisfaction then as well, but does it make them any less of a fan? Absolutley not.

Forgive us 'fake fans' if all we want is a local team who they feel can compete.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, eelpie said:

We need to see a robust defensive strategy . Otherwise high goal deficits will dictate this season again. I would almost be prepared to see Puel back here if Ralph and Gao can't sort it.

 

Puel is looking a master technician right now! How id love a "boring" one nil win from one long ball over the top. At least puel knew how to coach a defence and make us hard to beat. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thankfully I'll be unaware of the impending thrashing, somewhere on Snowdon, hopefully with no mobile to avoid looking. 

Even at the top of Mount Snowdon you'll be able to hear the whingeing from this site!!!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Puel is looking a master technician right now! How id love a "boring" one nil win from one long ball over the top. At least puel knew how to coach a defence and make us hard to beat. 

Yep. Puel's style of football was dull, but he played to our strengths and weaknesses, ie coached and managed us properly. We'd never have lost 9-0 under him, and had a much better chance of clinging on to the lead yesterday. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Christ I cannot believe that the posters on this forum actually call themselves Saints fans!

it has been taken over by pundit wannabes so why even bother?

I am sure 99.9 of true fans would concur

My brother is a plastic occasional fan so he couldn't give a shit, but I think it's odd that any fan wouldn't be bothered by our team, results, and performances. 

Edited by egg
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Puel is looking a master technician right now! How id love a "boring" one nil win from one long ball over the top. At least puel knew how to coach a defence and make us hard to beat. 

A lot of fans wanted a more exciting style. Well they got it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs. Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})