Jump to content

Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Disagree. Djenepo should start and Redmond should come on as a sub as happened today. Djenepo was unlucky with the sitter and wasn't far away with the curler. He was dangerous in the first half. Redmond is better as an impact sub and should start only against lower tier opposition.

I get the impression that Djenepo starts as Ralph prefers his left back covering.

He tried KWP as left back today and probably felt it might of been a gamble in doing so.

IMHO when Ralph realised that it’s better to put both Tino and KWP on the same right flank we will be flying again. He just needs to find the correct combo on the left and it might just involve S Armstrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame about the clearance pass off the post straight to their forward for the Newcastle second goal. Was that Livramento? Should have either been blasted out or passed to a Saints player. On such moments the match turns. Well done to Saints for keeping on fighting to the end when tired heads could have dropped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

66% possession and 11 shots without scoring in the first half was more down to the panic Toon defending than simply

blaming Djenepo for missing when so close in, and on another day we might easily have gone in 2 or 3 goals up.

Yet another instance of our all-out attack in the first 45 , not being able to keep it going into the second half.

Good performances from Livramento that auger well for the future.  Despite conceding two goals , both Stephens

and Salisu look to be forming a good CB partnership,  and Walker Peters didn't look out of place at LB. 

 

After his two season sojourn at Celtic,  Elyounoussi  has earned  his place in the start line-up and we may finally

be on the way to getting our money's worth on his deal.  Huge disappointment conceding second goal after 91 mins.  

but although not scoring, Adam Armstrong contributed to the result through sheer determination and it was left to

" Super-Prowsey "  to  do the business and get us a well-earned point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Have a look at Norwich's second goal against Leicester which was chalked off. A beautifully headed ball into the corner of the goal which the keeper had no chance of saving. For the life of me can't see why it was disallowed. VAR and the ref showing big club bias?

Standing in an offside position almost on the goalkeeper’s toes is an offside offence. Whether the goalkeeper might have saved it is irrelevant.

A beautiful header though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about to watch the game but my query from this thread is how these things that (most) of the forum agree on can all be true...

1) Tino was finished after an hour.

2) JWP was below par.

3) Romeu had a stinker.

4) Djenepo was horrendous.

5) Armstrong was poor.

6) Adams was well below par.

7) Generally speaking we played really well.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Just about to watch the game but my query from this thread is how these things that (most) of the forum agree on can all be true...

1) Tino was finished after an hour.

2) JWP was below par.

3) Romeu had a stinker.

4) Djenepo was horrendous.

5) Armstrong was poor.

6) Adams was well below par.

7) Generally speaking we played really well.

Because most don’t know arse from elbow, trolls, bed wetting planks or a combination of all above.

Hendrie and Stelling were raving about us on SSN

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

A bright and compelling performance ultimately compromised by lack of match fitness. By 60 minutes we were done with KWP and Livramento largely spectators as our over-lapping wing runs that we depend upon so much disappeared. Inevitably our performance collapsed. Hopefully our match fitness and stamina will improve as game time increase.

Everyone played reasonably well until the break although Djenepo hardly distinguished himself by fluffing every chance he had. It's all very well saying he should be dropped but Redmond with fresh legs was hopeless and seems past his prime.

Many Saints eyes will have been focused on Elyonoussi and he did not disappoint, slow he may be but clearly he has a football brain good enough for the Premier League. His positional sense and darting runs caused the Toon no end of trouble and there were encouraging signs of a good partnership forming with Livramento. Capping it with his first  league goal in the PL was the icing on a fairly well baked cake. Good luck to him.

The second half was largely forgettable save the sheer bloody single mindedness of JWP's spot kick in the last minute. I guess all of us watching were praying he would not let us down... and he didn't, well done James.

The learning point from today was that we cannot play at the speed of light from the outset and expect the players to last for more than 60/70 mins however fit they appear to be. A very big Plus was the ever improving performance of Mohammed Salisu, a genuine star in the making. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Just about to watch the game but my query from this thread is how these things that (most) of the forum agree on can all be true...

1) Tino was finished after an hour.

2) JWP was below par.

3) Romeu had a stinker.

4) Djenepo was horrendous.

5) Armstrong was poor.

6) Adams was well below par.

7) Generally speaking we played really well.

1) I think he did tire but still put in a shift defensively second half

2) i personally thought he was as solid as ever and had the bottle to slot the pen

3) It was one of his poorer games, too many loose touches and passes. Plus he doesn’t know what to do when he’s on their 18 yard box. I’d rather he stays deep and JWP is the CM that gets forward

4) He wasn’t horrendous, just missed 2 sitters, played well apart from that

5) Probably his worst out of the 3 games but he wasn’t dreadful, just looked desperate to score against his old club and took on too many shots when a pass would’ve been the better option. Saying that he set Djenepo up for his second chance and won the pen so can’t complain too much 

6) He was shit today 

7) We dominated first half and should’ve been 2 up but for the Djenepo misses. Not quite sure why we allowed a 2 v 2 in the 90th minute - where was our midfield?! Overall we deserved a point though. Special mention to Redmond, who I’m not the biggest fan of. He changed the game when he came on

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Just about to watch the game but my query from this thread is how these things that (most) of the forum agree on can all be true...

1) Tino was finished after an hour.

2) JWP was below par.

3) Romeu had a stinker.

4) Djenepo was horrendous.

5) Armstrong was poor.

6) Adams was well below par.

7) Generally speaking we played really well.

 

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

So every player was rubbish but we played really well? 

How many beers were you on last night?

Did you actually see the match? Doh!

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

66% possession and 11 shots without scoring in the first half was more down to the panic Toon defending than simply

blaming Djenepo for missing when so close in, and on another day we might easily have gone in 2 or 3 goals up.

Yet another instance of our all-out attack in the first 45 , not being able to keep it going into the second half.

Good performances from Livramento that auger well for the future.  Despite conceding two goals , both Stephens

and Salisu look to be forming a good CB partnership,  and Walker Peters didn't look out of place at LB. 

 

After his two season sojourn at Celtic,  Elyounoussi  has earned  his place in the start line-up and we may finally

be on the way to getting our money's worth on his deal.  Huge disappointment conceding second goal after 91 mins.  

but although not scoring, Adam Armstrong contributed to the result through sheer determination and it was left to

" Super-Prowsey "  to  do the business and get us a well-earned point. 

This. A thoughtful and positive analysis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A bright and compelling performance ultimately compromised by lack of match fitness. By 60 minutes we were done with KWP and Livramento largely spectators as our over-lapping wing runs that we depend upon so much disappeared. Inevitably our performance collapsed. Hopefully our match fitness and stamina will improve as game time increase.

Everyone played reasonably well until the break although Djenepo hardly distinguished himself by fluffing every chance he had. It's all very well saying he should be dropped but Redmond with fresh legs was hopeless and seems past his prime.

Many Saints eyes will have been focused on Elyonoussi and he did not disappoint, slow he may be but clearly he has a football brain good enough for the Premier League. His positional sense and darting runs caused the Toon no end of trouble and there were encouraging signs of a good partnership forming with Livramento. Capping it with his first  league goal in the PL was the icing on a fairly well baked cake. Good luck to him.

The second half was largely forgettable save the sheer bloody single mindedness of JWP's spot kick in the last minute. I guess all of us watching were praying he would not let us down... and he didn't, well done James.

The learning point from today was that we cannot play at the speed of light from the outset and expect the players to last for more than 60/70 mins however fit they appear to be. A very big Plus was the ever improving performance of Mohammed Salisu, a genuine star in the making. 

So hopeless, just set up both our goals. Redmond can be unfuriating but yesterday he had a very positive impact. I expect on the basis of that he'll probably start the West Ham game.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

 

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

So every player was rubbish but we played really well? 

How many beers were you on last night?

Did you actually see the match? Doh!

You seem very confused. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A bright and compelling performance ultimately compromised by lack of match fitness. By 60 minutes we were done with KWP and Livramento largely spectators as our over-lapping wing runs that we depend upon so much disappeared. Inevitably our performance collapsed. Hopefully our match fitness and stamina will improve as game time increase.

Everyone played reasonably well until the break although Djenepo hardly distinguished himself by fluffing every chance he had. It's all very well saying he should be dropped but Redmond with fresh legs was hopeless and seems past his prime.

Many Saints eyes will have been focused on Elyonoussi and he did not disappoint, slow he may be but clearly he has a football brain good enough for the Premier League. His positional sense and darting runs caused the Toon no end of trouble and there were encouraging signs of a good partnership forming with Livramento. Capping it with his first  league goal in the PL was the icing on a fairly well baked cake. Good luck to him.

The second half was largely forgettable save the sheer bloody single mindedness of JWP's spot kick in the last minute. I guess all of us watching were praying he would not let us down... and he didn't, well done James.

The learning point from today was that we cannot play at the speed of light from the outset and expect the players to last for more than 60/70 mins however fit they appear to be. A very big Plus was the ever improving performance of Mohammed Salisu, a genuine star in the making. 

Yet Redmond made both our goals. Which match did you watch?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You seem very confused. 

Given that he thought the sub that came on and set up both our goals was "hopeless", I think confused is an understatement. 

On that point, I hope Redmond has finally worked out that if you actually go past your man and play in a early ball there is a much better chance of scoring than if you just stop and wait for the defence to regroup. More of that please Nathan, we know you're capable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Djanepo's 2 chances were "sitters". The first one the ball was played slightly behind him at pace by Liv and he couldn't adjust his feet, sometimes those bobble in but not then. 2nd chance he had 2 shots that were blocked by last ditch (heroic?) defending. Yes he might have done better but overall not a disastrous performance by any means. I thought Armstrong was perhaps as wasteful with too many speculative shots, not that you can fault the intent but needs to be a little more selective. Pleased we got something from the game - two positive results now and I feel the team will only improve with time.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A bright and compelling performance ultimately compromised by lack of match fitness. By 60 minutes we were done with KWP and Livramento largely spectators as our over-lapping wing runs that we depend upon so much disappeared. Inevitably our performance collapsed. Hopefully our match fitness and stamina will improve as game time increase.

Everyone played reasonably well until the break although Djenepo hardly distinguished himself by fluffing every chance he had. It's all very well saying he should be dropped but Redmond with fresh legs was hopeless and seems past his prime.

Many Saints eyes will have been focused on Elyonoussi and he did not disappoint, slow he may be but clearly he has a football brain good enough for the Premier League. His positional sense and darting runs caused the Toon no end of trouble and there were encouraging signs of a good partnership forming with Livramento. Capping it with his first  league goal in the PL was the icing on a fairly well baked cake. Good luck to him.

The second half was largely forgettable save the sheer bloody single mindedness of JWP's spot kick in the last minute. I guess all of us watching were praying he would not let us down... and he didn't, well done James.

The learning point from today was that we cannot play at the speed of light from the outset and expect the players to last for more than 60/70 mins however fit they appear to be. A very big Plus was the ever improving performance of Mohammed Salisu, a genuine star in the making. 

Do you know who Redmond is? He created both our goals. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So hopeless, just set up both our goals. Redmond can be unfuriating but yesterday he had a very positive impact. I expect on the basis of that he'll probably start the West Ham game.

Maybe he’s woken up to the fact that with Mo getting a start, Stu due to come back in, Tella, Broja, Theo all being good competition, he needs to up his game to get on the pitch. Letting his natural talent, that has got him this far, override his annoying trait of dallying frustratingly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redder freak said:

Shame about the clearance pass off the post straight to their forward for the Newcastle second goal. Was that Livramento? Should have either been blasted out or passed to a Saints player. On such moments the match turns. Well done to Saints for keeping on fighting to the end when tired heads could have dropped.

It was JWP , he did well to get the ball out , no time to set himself for a decent kick and unfortunately it went straight back to the shooter ! I'm surprised Lord D hasn't been on here to point out JWP should have headed the second shot out 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Have a look at Norwich's second goal against Leicester which was chalked off. A beautifully headed ball into the corner of the goal which the keeper had no chance of saving. For the life of me can't see why it was disallowed. VAR and the ref showing big club bias?

Offside and it also wasn't VAR who disallowed it, it was the linesman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

 

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

So every player was rubbish but we played really well? 

How many beers were you on last night?

Did you actually see the match? Doh!

You didn't actually read what I wrote, did you?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

I don't think Djanepo's 2 chances were "sitters". The first one the ball was played slightly behind him at pace by Liv and he couldn't adjust his feet, sometimes those bobble in but not then. 2nd chance he had 2 shots that were blocked by last ditch (heroic?) defending. Yes he might have done better but overall not a disastrous performance by any means. I thought Armstrong was perhaps as wasteful with too many speculative shots, not that you can fault the intent but needs to be a little more selective. Pleased we got something from the game - two positive results now and I feel the team will only improve with time.

at this level you need to be putting the second chance away. no excuses. for me he should have blasted it after his touch, its only because he tries to be too fancy that the defender gets a block in

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

at this level you need to be putting the second chance away. no excuses. for me he should have blasted it after his touch, its only because he tries to be too fancy that the defender gets a block in

I thought it was a really good game and a decent result  it woulfd be a funny old game if defenders made no mistakes and there were hardly any goals

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It was JWP , he did well to get the ball out , no time to set himself for a decent kick and unfortunately it went straight back to the shooter ! I'm surprised Lord D hasn't been on here to point out JWP should have headed the second shot out 😄

Haven’t seen it so can’t comment. Had to listen to Statler and Waldorf on Solent as I was working. Interesting that Merrington was quite scathing on KWP for the first goal, but Stephens getting more blame on here, if sober I’ll watch MoTD 2 and have a look.

Regardless of performance (which I can’t comment on) a point away from home is always good, and it’s nice to comeback twice in a game, particularly when they scored what looked like a late winner. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

McCarthys stop was referred to on the clubs twitter as a brilliant reaction save, but to be honest it was a good height and 9/10 keepers arent beaten by that header at their front post. 

Absolute nonsense, it was a superb reaction save and one which earned us a point. This whole 'near post' thing is an over-used myth, do you think Fabianski was at fault by being beaten at his near post for Palace's second yesterday? If the ball is hit with power and precision then it makes no difference which side of the keeper it goes, it's going to hit the back of the net.

Edited by cloggy saint
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Absolute nonsense, it was a superb reaction save and one which earned us a point. This whole 'near post' thing is an over-used myth, do you think Fabianski was at fault by being beaten at his near post for Norwich's second yesterday? If the ball is hit with power and precision then it makes no difference which side of the keeper it goes, it's going to hit the back of the net.

It strikes me as there are people who are keen to microanaylse every goal to see where he is at fault, and in the same breath downplay any save he makes.

All a bit odd really.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It strikes me as there are people who are keen to microanaylse every goal to see where he is at fault, and in the same breath downplay any save he makes.

All a bit odd really.

Agreed.

I agree I'd like better in goal but it feels like every goal that does go in, we always say "could the keeper have done better?"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

Not Redmond’s biggest fan by any means but credit to him i thought he did really well yesterday. Not sure what else you want him to do, it was a great ball in for the first having beaten his man, and the second goal was a perfectly weighted through ball which Armstrong would’ve buried had lascelles not chopped him down. 
 

Think it shows our strength in depth has improved this year, suddenly we’ve got Tella, Redmond, Walcott, Broja and Diallo to bring off the bench to change the game up, plus Armstrong to come back. We aren’t so reliant on our starting 11 getting the job done. Competition in these positions means those coming off the bench will have that extra urge to create something and earn a starting place. End of the day we took 0 points from those fixtures last year and have 2 draws this year. That’s an improvement in my eyes

Edited by warwicksaint
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

So apart from the roads, the aqueduct, sanitation, irrigation, medicine, education, wine, the public baths, public order and coming on and setting up both goals, what has Nathan Redmond ever done for us? 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

Yep, but wingers aren't expected to be consistently successful every time or else he'd be playing for Man City/Barcelona.

I liked yesterday that he was direct, using his pace and made an attempt and thankfully the one time he did beat his man it led to our goal.

My previous criticism of him was when he'd look to pass backwards or fail to overlap the defender, the best Redmond is the one who is direct / runs at players and gives it a go

No footballer will score with 100% of their shots, but it's the ability to do something meaningful at least the once when they are on the pitch.

For the record though, I would persist with Djenepo - ultimately he did get into scoring positions which for me in itself is a positive - converting chances like that is the next part of the development and he does work hard off the ball. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

Wouldn't describe myself as one of those, not at all. He's not great, but that doesn't deny the fact that you're getting your knickers in a twist here and confusing all sorts of points.

He came on, assisted 1-1 and 2-2 (thought it was Elyonoussi who got the 2nd assist, but it wasn't - it was Redmond)

The assist for the first is what we are always crying out for him to do, commit, run and cross. He did it and it got us a goal.

Not a fan of him, we need to do better, but to discredit his involvement yesterday is daft.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Parenting Fails #365

This is me (in the black and white Cloven Hoof tee) celebrating the 96th minute equaliser yesterday. My 9 year old son nowhere to be seen in the shot, I have found out 20 hours later was on the floor after falling over 😬. You can see my son next to the bloke in the black away Saints top In the row in front. My son is the red blob on the floor. 
 

PS - I do not know why the supporters in the bottom right are so small. 🤷🏽 

6D3E8329-42CF-4997-9906-B4D717448EE9.jpeg

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

Two assists is decent, your post smacks of an agenda

Edited by Chapel End
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Absolute nonsense, it was a superb reaction save and one which earned us a point. This whole 'near post' thing is an over-used myth, do you think Fabianski was at fault by being beaten at his near post for Palace's second yesterday? If the ball is hit with power and precision then it makes no difference which side of the keeper it goes, it's going to hit the back of the net.

Are we talking about the header from Wilson? Decent enough save, would have been slaughtered had he not saved that! Certainly wasn't superb, it was almost straight at him at a good height, but it was decent enough. McCarthy played well yesterday.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

I'm more on your side than not on this, I thought Redmond was his usual self (not good enough) for most of his time on the pitch. However he's put in a great cross for our 1st and then played a cracking ball through to win us a pen so criticising him for yesterday seems unfair and makes it look like it's agenda driven.

I think generally speaking he's a poor player who can occasionally pull out some brilliance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chapel End said:

Two assists is decent, your post smacks of an agenda

I'm not a fan of Redmond, or Elynoussi based on the last couple of years (and unconvinced Ely has the qualities we need), but certainly can't fault their contributions over the last two games, and would gladly settle for some more of their mediocrity if they keep giving the same level of assists and goals as they did yesterday (leaving aside Newport County).

Don't think either can be critiscised for much yesterday. 

Djenepo on the other hand...

Link to post
Share on other sites

MD missed a sitter, and fluffed his lines more than once, but thought he did far better than NR. 

I did think that AM had his best game for us though. Even his kicking was getting to our players for a change. In the 35th minute he belted one over the half way line to one of our guys, and I think that's the first time I've seen him do that! 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also the whole VAR thing is odd. Me and many Newcastle fans believe the game would have played out to the final whistle at 2-1, if there player had not tried to cover up the foul and try and waste time needing treatment. There was no evidence after the foul on Armstrong that the game was going to be stopped to check for a possible penalty. The game went on for a good 20/30 seconds. Then the referee stopped play so the Newcastle player could get treatment. 
 

On the way home listening to the radio they agreed that VAR was a little hit and miss and more likely for these type of things to be checked if there is a break in play. I think the Newcastle player shot himself and team in the foot. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Also the whole VAR thing is odd. Me and many Newcastle fans believe the game would have played out to the final whistle at 2-1, if there player had not tried to cover up the foul and try and waste time needing treatment. There was no evidence after the foul on Armstrong that the game was going to be stopped to check for a possible penalty. The game went on for a good 20/30 seconds. Then the referee stopped play so the Newcastle player could get treatment. 
 

On the way home listening to the radio they agreed that VAR was a little hit and miss and more likely for these type of things to be checked if there is a break in play. I think the Newcastle player shot himself and team in the foot. 
 

I didn't understand the VAR situation at all! Anyway, fair play to you for being there and I hope your son is OK. True supporters, both of you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Also the whole VAR thing is odd. Me and many Newcastle fans believe the game would have played out to the final whistle at 2-1, if there player had not tried to cover up the foul and try and waste time needing treatment. There was no evidence after the foul on Armstrong that the game was going to be stopped to check for a possible penalty. The game went on for a good 20/30 seconds. Then the referee stopped play so the Newcastle player could get treatment. 
 

On the way home listening to the radio they agreed that VAR was a little hit and miss and more likely for these type of things to be checked if there is a break in play. I think the Newcastle player shot himself and team in the foot. 
 

It doesn't matter if a stoppage in play had occurred or not. If the ref blows the final whistle he can still go back on that and award the penalty after.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saint Martini said:

It doesn't matter if a stoppage in play had occurred or not. If the ref blows the final whistle he can still go back on that and award the penalty after.

I don’t think this would happen, I had the feeling the game would end and that would be it, if it was not for the ‘injured’ Newcastle player. Yes we would feel the injustice, but have the feeling we would be asking why it was not referred. 
 

but it was and we scored. 😃 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

What Else did the Romans ever do for us eh?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

I thought it was a brlliant  pass to armstrong - salusi a colossus

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey you Redmond lovers really are a sensitive bunch of luvvies. Dare I suggest you look at the whole match again from the point where Redmond came on and then tell me what else he did that was helpful other than his speculative cross into the box that Elyonoussi stretched to reach and the simple ball slipped through to the fast running Armstrong along side him in the last minute. Nearly all of his attempts at beating his man down the left side failed. Wake up and get real, he's on the bench for a reason

You need to learn to be more impartial mush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2021 at 13:20, cloggy saint said:

Absolute nonsense, it was a superb reaction save and one which earned us a point. This whole 'near post' thing is an over-used myth, do you think Fabianski was at fault by being beaten at his near post for Palace's second yesterday? If the ball is hit with power and precision then it makes no difference which side of the keeper it goes, it's going to hit the back of the net.

Thats your opinion. My opinion is that most keepers make that save with ease. It wasnt even in the corner. He will cost us more points than he 'earns us' this season thats for sure

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})