Jump to content

January 2022 Transfer Window


Recommended Posts

Still think that we can do better than Johnstone, but I guess he's the cheap option. Signing the one goalkeeper who conceded more than us last season stinks of Leicester signing two of our defenders, who now can't keep out goals for them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Still think that we can do better than Johnstone, but I guess he's the cheap option. Signing the one goalkeeper who conceded more than us last season stinks of Leicester signing two of our defenders, who now can't keep out goals for them.

Letting in more goals doesn't mean he is worse. Have you considered he may have had a shitter defensive unit in front of him?

Edited by Matthew Le God
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Letting in more goals doesn't mean he is worse. Have you considered he may have had a shitter defensive unit in front of him?

But, he's also not the clear improvement for what we need in goal. I understand why we're looking at him as he's in the final six months of his contract, but there's also a reason why he's still at West Brom and why he's only had one Premier League season at 28.

We used other fans' opinions to judge a lesser known player in Lyanco in the summer, and a quick Google of Johnstone's two most recent clubs - West Brom and Aston Villa, show he's one that divides opinion.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15997-sam-johnstone/page/71/

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=21946.1875 (They blame the goalkeeping coaching here, where have we seen this before).

Then you've got the standard eye test, a goal he conceded last month after 13 seconds in the video below against the prolific Andre Gray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91IYe1xPr34

As I say, I understand why we're in for him. But, he's not the answer to the problem, like Gunn, a highly rated Championship goalkeeper wasn't and we'll be in the same position in the near future.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’ll get better offers.  Also think I’ve read he’s not that keen on us.

Why would he be? Our track record with goalkeepers isn't exactly glowing. Plus if it's true that it's between us, Spurs and West Ham then we arent going to win that battle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why would he be? Our track record with goalkeepers isn't exactly glowing. Plus if it's true that it's between us, Spurs and West Ham then we arent going to win that battle.  

The only thing in our favour there, would probably be the fact he'd be guaranteed first choice keeper, whereas he probably wouldn't play ahead of Areola at WHU, or Lloris at Spurs....

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

The only thing in our favour there, would probably be the fact he'd be guaranteed first choice keeper, whereas he probably wouldn't play ahead of Areola at WHU, or Lloris at Spurs....

Of course you're correct. Lloris meant to be leaving Spurs in the summer. I cant imagine their fans will be too happy if he's replaced by Johnstone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

 

 

 

Neither of them only had 6 months left on their contract. So I'm unsure which players @Saint Garrett is talking about?

Last one which was a first team player with a contract up that summer was Charlie Austin in Jan 2016. Happy to be corrected if wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Would be a very good piece of business if we could get it done. 

If it happens wonder if they'd be interested in taking Fraser on loan for a portion of his wages.

If he wants first team football, you'd think he'd come to saints. Good competition at West ham and he isn't getting past Lloris.

Newcastle could well come in and blow us out of the water though...

Edited by Saint86
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

If he wants first team football, you'd think he'd come to saints. Good competition at West ham and he isn't getting past Lloris.

Newcastle will probably come well come in and blow us out of the water though...

I doubt Newcastle would want him to be honest. They have Dubravka, Darlow, and Woodman who are all decent keepers. They will want to improve the rest of their squad before spending on arguably their strongest position. Also, I think they can aim higher, have seen them linked with Kaylor Navas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TWar said:

I doubt Newcastle would want him to be honest. They have Dubravka, Darlow, and Woodman who are all decent keepers. They will want to improve the rest of their squad before spending on arguably their strongest position. Also, I think they can aim higher, have seen them linked with Kaylor Navas.

We'll be seeing Newcastle linked with everyone. But he's the kind of player they should go for. Youngish in his career, able to join and become a mainstay as part of their project and grow into an established keeper at the top of the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be just me but i don't feel that Sam Johnstone is the kind of player that any club will blow another club out of the water for.

Feels fairly plausible that he would come to us (if we stay up, which probably will not be clear in January).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We'll be seeing Newcastle linked with everyone. But he's the kind of player they should go for. Youngish in his career, able to join and become a mainstay as part of their project and grow into an established keeper at the top of the league.

Maybe, I think Newcastle are in limbo as to exactly how much of a megaclub they are going to be. Will they be another Everton/Spurs/Arsenal level side (unlikely), will they be a Chelsea/City level side (probably imo), or will they be the biggest club in the world (maybe). If they are in that first category I guess Johnstone could be ok, he's a great keeper, is only 28, and can probably compete at a europa league level.

For me it is more likely Newcastle go fully down the city route and start replacing their squad from least to most effective and by the time they get round to replacing their keeper in the summer or in the following summer they will be dropping £50m+ and bringing in someone a higher level than Johnstone, maybe like Emi Martinez, Navas, etc.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether you like it or not, McCarthy has not been too bad so far this season...

Would make sense to let Forster go given his age and high wages...Johnstone COULD be a decent replacement, but I do think better keepers will be out there. I'm sure the scouting team have some young keepers lined up if Johnstone isn't the man

Should be more concerned about adding another winger who can make things happen. We've missed Stu dearly and need a player of his quality on the opposite side

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Probably the wrong place to post this but there isn’t a thread for the summer transfer window yet.

Wouldn't pay it much mind. In the last hour they have announced Real Madrid are after Alexander-Arnold, Liverpool are after Dembele, Barca are after Luís Maximiano, Belotti is off to Seville, and Pogba is being considered by Juve. Either they have the best sources in football and they all happen to have come through with these massive stories in quick succession or they just make stuff up for clicks.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rickman42 said:

Should be more concerned about adding another winger who can make things happen. We've missed Stu dearly and need a player of his quality on the opposite side

The Fulham youngster, Carvalho would be good for this, who is also in the final year of his contract. 
 

We knew we needed a new number 10 when we signed Minamino last January, and nothing’s improved since, so wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a priority position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rickman42 said:

Whether you like it or not, McCarthy has not been too bad so far this season...

Would make sense to let Forster go given his age and high wages...Johnstone COULD be a decent replacement, but I do think better keepers will be out there. I'm sure the scouting team have some young keepers lined up if Johnstone isn't the man

Should be more concerned about adding another winger who can make things happen. We've missed Stu dearly and need a player of his quality on the opposite side

I agree that McCarthy is having a better season this one than last and seems to be bouncing back a bit. He is a confidence player imo and the united game did him no favours. He seems to have a spring in his step since winning the number 1. I will say, he is still average at best even back on this form.

He is still 13th for xG prevented per 90 in the league (out of 26), 20th for save % (out of 26), 22nd for long pass completion % (out of 23). But last season he was dead bottom or near enough for all three so he is definitely on the up.

And is second in the league for crosses claimed which is actually rather impressive and 3rd for % of crosses faced vs claimed which is a more valuable metric.

Needs replacing for sure but he is definitely doing better than last year!

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TWar said:

I agree that McCarthy is having a better season this one than last and seems to be bouncing back a bit. He is a confidence player imo and the united game did him no favours. He seems to have a spring in his step since winning the number 1. I will say, he is still average at best even back on this form.

He is still 13th for xG prevented per 90 in the league (out of 26), 20th for save % (out of 26), 22nd for long pass completion % (out of 23). But last season he was dead bottom or near enough for all three so he is definitely on the up.

And is second in the league for crosses claimed which is actually rather impressive and 3rd for % of crosses faced vs claimed which is a more valuable metric.

Needs replacing for sure but he is definitely doing better than last year!

Early days yet....plenty of time to revert to type. Need a GK big time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Saints scouting Paul Onuachu, as well as Lorenzo Lucca (€10m).

Where is this from?

Both at 6'7'' would certainly add some height! 

Would have thought Lucca, at 21, more likely than 27 year old Onuachu.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Danbert said:

This one made me laugh, and then I remembered that they did actually pay us cash money for Cedric Soares

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/elyounoussi-emerges-as-transfer-target-for-arsenal_467604.html?newsnow

Semmens said recently (podcast) that contract renewals are now a top priority after the fiascos of losing Bertrand, Ings & Vestergaard and that several negotiations are on-going. I would expect Ralph to be keen to keep Mohammed Elyonoussi at St Mary's.

This suggests to me that his agent has been busy dropping less than subtle hints for a pay rise and contract extension for a player who has found himself back in favour at Britannia Road.

The Arsenal link is obviously ridiculous. They are most likely to be the next PL club to change managers long before Mohammed could leave on a free.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Semmens said recently (podcast) that contract renewals are now a top priority after the fiascos of losing Bertrand, Ings & Vestergaard and that several negotiations are on-going. I would expect Ralph to be keen to keep Mohammed Elyonoussi at St Mary's.

This suggests to me that his agent has been busy dropping less than subtle hints for a pay rise and contract extension for a player who has found himself back in favour at Britannia Road.

The Arsenal link is obviously ridiculous. They are most likely to be the next PL club to change managers long before Mohammed could leave on a free.

 

I hope Salisu's extension is top of the list.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree with many in this thread that we need to continue to strengthen the squad, it’s important to remember that a lot of the players we’ve signed over the last couple of years aren’t the finished product just yet…

 

just look at Salisu and Diallo at the weekend. They were both brilliant! Both only 22 years old! When they first signed, they were rarely getting a look in.

 

I hope we see a similar story with new signings such as Lyanco, A. Armstrong, Thierry Small, Dynel Simeu etc.

 

the squad is starting to come together nicely as players improve, learn the system, and get game time. 
 

we might not have many ‘household names’ in the squad, but who needs them when you’ve got 11 players on the pitch who play well as a unit together.

 

it’s important for every premier league club to improve in some way each transfer window, but for us, clearing out the deadwood was key.

Hopefully we can build on Saturday’s win!

Edited by Rickman42
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rickman42 said:

While I agree with many in this thread that we need to continue to strengthen the squad, it’s important to remember that a lot of the players we’ve signed over the last couple of years aren’t the finished product just yet…

 

just look at Salisu and Diallo at the weekend. They were both brilliant! Both only 22 years old! When they first signed, they were rarely getting a look in.

 

I hope we see a similar story with new signings such as Lyanco, A. Armstrong, Thierry Small, Dynel Simeu etc.

 

the squad is starting to come together nicely as players improve, learn the system, and get game time. 
 

we might not have many ‘household names’ in the squad, but who needs them when you’ve got 11 players on the pitch who play well as a unit together.

 

it’s important for every premier league club to improve in some way each transfer window, but for us, clearing out the deadwood was key.

Hopefully we can build on Saturday’s win!

Yes I agree but we do need a GK sooner rather than later

I would be quite happy to sell JWP and get a Broja type striker and a top class DM and GK

Getting rid of both Long and Forster

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Semmens said recently (podcast) that contract renewals are now a top priority after the fiascos of losing Bertrand, Ings & Vestergaard and that several negotiations are on-going. I would expect Ralph to be keen to keep Mohammed Elyonoussi at St Mary's.

This suggests to me that his agent has been busy dropping less than subtle hints for a pay rise and contract extension for a player who has found himself back in favour at Britannia Road.

The Arsenal link is obviously ridiculous. They are most likely to be the next PL club to change managers long before Mohammed could leave on a free.

 

Didn't seem like a fiasco to lose Bertrand and Vesty and we've rep;laced them with better. Ings was a blow but you can't force someone to sign and he is at the end of his career anyway, we are happier with young ones.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Danbert said:

This one made me laugh, and then I remembered that they did actually pay us cash money for Cedric Soares

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/transfer-talk/news/elyounoussi-emerges-as-transfer-target-for-arsenal_467604.html?newsnow

I also saw an article in the last day or so saying both Arsenal and Leicester were interested in signing Elynoussi.

I don't suppose Leicester will be too keen to do business with us so soon after taking Bertrand and Vestergaard from us and seeing the value they got for their money. But if they were to give us money for him as well I think they'd rapidly become a favourite club of mine.

Don't suppose they want one of our GK's or Long as back up to Schmeichel and Vardy as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we could have made around £5m on Bertrand and Ings would have been valued at around £50m, so that’s a £25m loss, and given we need every penny available to reinvest in the squad, I think that’s what Semmens is referring to. Unsure about Vestergaard, as I believe Leicester only made a move for him because he was cheap and they were in need of a centre-back.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t be too upset if Elyounoussi left on a free this summer. We’ve seen the last few seasons that he’s hard to get rid of, if he’s available. He’s definitely improved, but I rank our 10s as Armstrong>Redmond>Djenepo>Elyounoussi>Tella>Walcott and I see it as a position that we 100% need to improve on, barring Armstrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HarvSFC said:

I

With that in mind, I wouldn’t be too upset if Elyounoussi left on a free this summer. We’ve seen the last few seasons that he’s hard to get rid of, if he’s available. He’s definitely improved, but I rank our 10s as Armstrong>Redmond>Djenepo>Elyounoussi>Tella>Walcott and I see it as a position that we 100% need to improve on, barring Armstrong.

Agree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I think we could have made around £5m on Bertrand and Ings would have been valued at around £50m, so that’s a £25m loss, and given we need every penny available to reinvest in the squad, I think that’s what Semmens is referring to. Unsure about Vestergaard, as I believe Leicester only made a move for him because he was cheap and they were in need of a centre-back.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t be too upset if Elyounoussi left on a free this summer. We’ve seen the last few seasons that he’s hard to get rid of, if he’s available. He’s definitely improved, but I rank our 10s as Armstrong>Redmond>Djenepo>Elyounoussi>Tella>Walcott and I see it as a position that we 100% need to improve on, barring Armstrong.

How do you think we could have got any money for Bertrand who was out of contract?

Do you honestly believe Ings was worth £50m with one year left on his deal?

Im not sure we could have done any better on Ings and we for sure couldn’t get money for an out of contract player, even Levy couldn’t have managed that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Semmens said recently (podcast) that contract renewals are now a top priority after the fiascos of losing Bertrand, Ings & Vestergaard and that several negotiations are on-going. I would expect Ralph to be keen to keep Mohammed Elyonoussi at St Mary's.

Except none of those was a fiasco.

Bertrand it was clear it had reached a sensible end point: no fiasco.

Vestergaard, it would have cost an absolute fortune to extend his deal and he really wasn't that good, and we got our money back just about. No fiasco.

Ings, we got far more cash than many were expecting, the second best outcome after him staying. Could have been a lot worse (eg nips off to Spurs on the last day if the window for £20m). No fiasco.

 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

How do you think we could have got any money for Bertrand who was out of contract?

Do you honestly believe Ings was worth £50m with one year left on his deal?

Im not sure we could have done any better on Ings and we for sure couldn’t get money for an out of contract player, even Levy couldn’t have managed that. 

If I wasn’t being clear, I was referring to their valuations if they weren’t in the last year of their contracts, which is what Semmens is trying to sort. As, we aren’t doing too badly without a past his peak Bertrand and Vestergaard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

If I wasn’t being clear, I was referring to their valuations if they weren’t in the last year of their contracts, which is what Semmens is trying to sort. As, we aren’t doing too badly without a past his peak Bertrand and Vestergaard.

Ah ok, didn’t realise that was what you meant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

If I wasn’t being clear, I was referring to their valuations if they weren’t in the last year of their contracts, which is what Semmens is trying to sort. As, we aren’t doing too badly without a past his peak Bertrand and Vestergaard.

But we wouldn't have got £5m for Bertrand if he'd signed a contract extension, he'd be in our team and we probably would not have signed Perraud. Ditto Vestergaard, he'd have to have signed for at least two more years, at least. So he'd be our first choice CB.

Ings we spent a year plus trying to get him to sign an extension.

I heard what Semmens said, but he didn't necessarily mean that we just extend everyone's contracts come what may.

You can't just get extensions signed with the objective to then just sell them for more money.

Look how long it took to shift Lemina, the loss we made on Boufal and the moaning there has been about Forster from about 6 months into his extension.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've gone from being weak at the back and making up for it with goals (from Danny), to being relatively solid at the back and totally toothless. In some games it's really felt like we could have played three lots of 90 minutes and still not scored. I find it hard to believe that we'll sign a goal scorer in January though - they are expensive at the best of times. Fingers crossed we can manage to stay up this season. There's the makings of a good team there I think, with a few additions...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mcbendy said:

We've gone from being weak at the back and making up for it with goals (from Danny), to being relatively solid at the back and totally toothless. In some games it's really felt like we could have played three lots of 90 minutes and still not scored. I find it hard to believe that we'll sign a goal scorer in January though - they are expensive at the best of times. Fingers crossed we can manage to stay up this season. There's the makings of a good team there I think, with a few additions...

We won't be buying a striker come Jan, unless we sell a few. AA, Broja, Che, Redmond, Walcott, Tella, Long can all play that front position it seems to Ralph.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see us buying anyone in January, we've got a big squad and seemingly no money. Just need to find a settled team and get the best out of our attacking options. Armstrong back and A.Armstrong finding some form are the main things. Moi is already a big boost and Broja will be a great player. Key is either securing him for another year's loan or using funds next summer on a similarly big, powerful striker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})