Jump to content

Southampton FC Women


Recommended Posts

On 10/09/2021 at 13:06, suewhistle said:

Nothing I can really disagree with here regarding the goalkeeping situation, although smaller goals wouldn't be a solution for many practical reasons. I've played in goal, reserve keeper for one team as I was tall, and even had specific coaching from a specialised coach, but that was in another country and is unusual at our level.

It's often the case in the bottom of the pyramid where I play that it is really difficult to get keepers, and you can tell sometimes that the regular keeper is not available! Finding someone who _wants_ to play in goal is a challenge, and yep, they are often quite short!

One reason I am happy my daughter loves being in goal. If she keeps working at it she has a chance of a future in the game as a lot less competition in her position

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went along with my 9 year old daughter yesterday (we live in Gloucester, so it was only 20 mins up the road). 

Really impressed by the quality of play by Saints. Cheltenham were very direct and caught Saints out on the break. Poor positioning from the GK for the first goal and partially at fault for the second too. 

The number 8 (Williams) for Saints was outstanding and controlled the game. Didn't create a huge amount in the first half but dominated, second half was one way traffic apart from the freekick and consolation goal at the end. Could have been another 3 or 4 for Saints to be honest.

Really enjoyable and my Daughter loved talking to some of the players at the end of the game too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boys and men's teams struggle with keepers as well. The keepers in boys teams are normally the worst out field player that's not good enough so gets shoved in goal. My sons team has always had a fat kid who gets too knackered on pitch so chooses to go in goal. The higher team in his year group goalie isn't good enough to play out on pitch for them, but doesn't want to be in the divs team, so chooses to be in goal, because there is loads of playground peer pressure about what team you are in. If those boys catch up with the others out field then they drop goalkeeping, to use a pun, as soon as they can.

If I think of all the Sunday and pub teams I've played for, getting and keeping a decent keeper was hard. And my recent five aside team has a brilliant keeper and we won the league on the back of his performances, becuae most of the other teams had shit keepers. You have a massive advantage if your keeper dives against a keeper who mainly uses his legs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to league action this afternoon at the same time as the men’s team as they take on London Bees who are 7th in the table. The Bees have not won in their last 3. Saints are 2nd in the table, but with a win today they would go back to the top on goal difference with 6 wins out of 6 the same as Ipswich, who are also looking pretty good. 
 

Perhaps this was the chance that they could have moved the women’s kick off time so they could have had it before or after the men’s game at St Mary’s to really promote the women’s game? 
 

kick off is 2pm in Totten! 

 London Bees 
LONDON BEES
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Back to league action this afternoon at the same time as the men’s team as they take on London Bees who are 7th in the table. The Bees have not won in their last 3. Saints are 2nd in the table, but with a win today they would go back to the top on goal difference with 6 wins out of 6 the same as Ipswich, who are also looking pretty good. 
 

Perhaps this was the chance that they could have moved the women’s kick off time so they could have had it before or after the men’s game at St Mary’s to really promote the women’s game? 
 

kick off is 2pm in Totten! 

 London Bees 
LONDON BEES

How did the girls get on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken over an hour for the SFC site to get the score up. The rest of the info is all over the place. They have Ipswich on +9 goal difference but they   Won 11-2 yesterday!

BBC info all over the place too. They have yet to list the scores but updated the table giving us only 1 point for today’s game!

Hope as the season goes on the info gets better. My little girl is more engaged by the women than the men and it doesn’t help that engagement if we can’t get any info on the games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wooley7 said:

Taken over an hour for the SFC site to get the score up. The rest of the info is all over the place. They have Ipswich on +9 goal difference but they   Won 11-2 yesterday!

BBC info all over the place too. They have yet to list the scores but updated the table giving us only 1 point for today’s game!

Hope as the season goes on the info gets better. My little girl is more engaged by the women than the men and it doesn’t help that engagement if we can’t get any info on the games. 

It is very poor that they do not have updates. 

BBC do not have the scores up as yet, but yes it was 0-5. Back on top! 

The point will be the result from the other Southampton team. Without looking I bet they drew. So so wrong! 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦‍♀️ 

No it’s even worse, the other Southampton team were 0-0 at half time. The BBC took that 😱 

SOUTHAMPTON
Pharoah [17'] Rutherford [42'] Kendall [50'] Pusey [64'] C. Mor
LONDON BEES
Edited by Dr Who?
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2021 at 17:17, wooley7 said:

Saints won 5-0.

back top on goal difference.

The two games against Ipswich are going to define the season.

Saints P6 W6 GD +30

Ipswich P6 W6 GD +24

Pretty impressive start from both teams.

Games against the Skate women a potential banana skin, they're sitting in 3rd at present so no pushover and will be well up for it against us!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Do the woman’s team follow the same playing style and formation as the men’s team? I know Ralph wanted this system through the club, wondered how far through it went. 

I do not think so as they score goals.

  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2021 at 06:33, Billy the Kidd said:

Do the woman’s team follow the same playing style and formation as the men’s team? I know Ralph wanted this system through the club, wondered how far through it went. 

From the game on Sunday they do not play the same. The women had 3 centre backs and the wing backs were more like wingers. They were so dominant. Was really impressive football they played and at full time the manager gave my daughter a fist bump so she was really made up. Home again on Sunday against Keynsham.

Edited by negium
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

9-0 today against Keynsham. The gulf between the top 2 and the rest in this division is enormous.

It's actually a real shame isn't it, this squad of players are wasting a year of their careers playing at a level way below where they should be. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's actually a real shame isn't it, this squad of players are wasting a year of their careers playing at a level way below where they should be. 

With the money being paid to our better players, I don’t think they consider it a waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

With the money being paid to our better players, I don’t think they consider it a waste.

Career wise it is. Why do man u go straight to the super league and we have to go through years of whiping crap teams to get there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Career wise it is. Why do man u go straight to the super league and we have to go through years of whiping crap teams to get there. 

If they were that bothered by the impact on their career and winning things, they wouldn’t have dropped to our level.

I’d have done the same in their position but let’s not feel sorry for women earning a decent wage for playing average football.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They were brilliant on Sunday.  So ruthless in 2nd half. Keynsham only had 13 players so didn't have many options to be able to change things but we never let them settle on the ball. 3rd 9 nil win this season. Having watched a few of the other teams it is not fair to say the top 2 are miles better. Oxford and pompey are both decent (though pompey tend to play a very physical game rather than skillful). Oxford would have won the league last year and gone up to the championship had the season not been ended early. In the end they missed out on promotion cos the team that did go up had a better record over the 2 messed up seasons.  I still expect us and Ipswich to go up but won't have it all our own way

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the report negium. They're certainly at a different level to teams like Keynsham particularly with regard to fitness. I'd hazard that they train a lot more than such teams who may only have one evening session a week and have difficulty fielding a side occasionally because a youngster is doing a shift at the supermarket or the like.  Their number 6 (?) for example was physically and fitness wise more like some of the older defenders down where I play low in the Hampshire League and the scores can be equally wince making - we've been crushed, flattened another team with our better fitness in a second half and had one much more satisfying game where the teams were equally matched but we started with 10 because somebody was late arriving from her supermarket shift!

They need to get to that higher level with better teams and better football. I'm sure the manager is keeping their feet on the ground for when the get there.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Thanks for the report negium. They're certainly at a different level to teams like Keynsham particularly with regard to fitness. I'd hazard that they train a lot more than such teams who may only have one evening session a week and have difficulty fielding a side occasionally because a youngster is doing a shift at the supermarket or the like.  Their number 6 (?) for example was physically and fitness wise more like some of the older defenders down where I play low in the Hampshire League and the scores can be equally wince making - we've been crushed, flattened another team with our better fitness in a second half and had one much more satisfying game where the teams were equally matched but we started with 10 because somebody was late arriving from her supermarket shift!

They need to get to that higher level with better teams and better football. I'm sure the manager is keeping their feet on the ground for when the get there.

 

Fitness was definitely a huge difference between the teams. I did think that Keynshams striker had something about her though and could play for a team at the top end of the league and not look out of place. She was quick and held the ball well just had no support to speak of.  Like you say we are pretty much a professional team and they looked part time it was a mismatch.  I think it will be interesting if (when) we do get promoted how we will get on against teams the next level up. Think we will be competitive but not have it all our own way. Am really enjoying watching the ladies this season. Also taken in a few other matches - chichester and selsey against oxford (friends with the Oxford keeper), pompey v Oxford (such a dirty game from pompey) and with my daughter playing for southampton women have been to a couple of their games too.  Much more fun and relaxed than watching the men's games at the moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, negium said:

Fitness was definitely a huge difference between the teams. I did think that Keynshams striker had something about her though and could play for a team at the top end of the league and not look out of place. She was quick and held the ball well just had no support to speak of.  Like you say we are pretty much a professional team and they looked part time it was a mismatch.  I think it will be interesting if (when) we do get promoted how we will get on against teams the next level up. Think we will be competitive but not have it all our own way. Am really enjoying watching the ladies this season. Also taken in a few other matches - chichester and selsey against oxford (friends with the Oxford keeper), pompey v Oxford (such a dirty game from pompey) and with my daughter playing for southampton women have been to a couple of their games too.  Much more fun and relaxed than watching the men's games at the moment

What sort of attendances does that level of ladies football get? How many would you typically find at Saints, Pompey or Oxford? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, negium said:

They were brilliant on Sunday.  So ruthless in 2nd half. Keynsham only had 13 players so didn't have many options to be able to change things but we never let them settle on the ball. 3rd 9 nil win this season. Having watched a few of the other teams it is not fair to say the top 2 are miles better. Oxford and pompey are both decent (though pompey tend to play a very physical game rather than skillful). Oxford would have won the league last year and gone up to the championship had the season not been ended early. In the end they missed out on promotion cos the team that did go up had a better record over the 2 messed up seasons.  I still expect us and Ipswich to go up but won't have it all our own way

You mention expecting Saints and Ipswich to go up but is that possible? From what i saw (very briefly and hard to find out for sure without a little bit of effort) it looks as though the league winner goes in to a playoff. Looks like a playoff with winners of northern league to go up to the championship - if so we need to win this league and then a playoff otherwise its another season of battering teams 9-0 and pointless all round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saint Troy said:

You mention expecting Saints and Ipswich to go up but is that possible? From what i saw (very briefly and hard to find out for sure without a little bit of effort) it looks as though the league winner goes in to a playoff. Looks like a playoff with winners of northern league to go up to the championship - if so we need to win this league and then a playoff otherwise its another season of battering teams 9-0 and pointless all round. 

In normal circumstances it is not possible for two teams from the National Southern Division to be promoted, and as you suggested even the winners only go into a play-ff with the winners from the Northern Division, so even as Southern Champions promotion is not guaranteed. Even then the winners need to meet licencing criteria to be promoted. But note this is in normal circumstances. Assumes the season is not curtailed again of course, bear in mind both Saints and Ipswich were not automtically promoted to the Southern Division, they had to apply for dispensation and that was granted. There is still a lot of fluidity in the Womens game with teams folding and so on so there is always the possibility that more teams might be promoted than expected, but i guess this is less likely at the higher (tiers 1 & 2) levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If winning the league only qualifies you for a play off then that is not a healthy league pyramid,  should be having at least two up and down to stop them stagnating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How many were paying customers? 

It didn't say, but in the second paragraph of the match report it mentioned it was watched by over 2000, so assumed it was a big deal. As the popularity of womens football grows they might make it to 2,500 for the big games in year to come.

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sunday saints had just shy of 300 at the match.  

When I went to pompey v oxford they had a similar number. Chichester v Oxford had somewhere around 50  - 100 in attendance so at this level the numbers are not huge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Turkish said:

It didn't say, but in the second paragraph of the match report it mentioned it was watched by over 2000, so assumed it was a big deal. As the popularity of womens football grows they might make it to 2,500 for the big games in year to come.

Won't be long and they'll have parity with our home matches the way numbers are dropping.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Won't be long and they'll have parity with our home matches the way numbers are dropping.

If we get promoted to the WSL then it looks like it will be at Readings expense. Which means you can draw a line from Brighton through Birmingham up to Manchester and we will be the only WSL team in that area, the catchment area is huge. There will be loads of fans wanting to come to Southampton for their fix of WSL Football next season!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, negium said:

On Sunday saints had just shy of 300 at the match.  

When I went to pompey v oxford they had a similar number. Chichester v Oxford had somewhere around 50  - 100 in attendance so at this level the numbers are not huge.

Am i right in saying we are in the second tier of womens football? It goes WSL then Premier league south and North?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Am i right in saying we are in the second tier of womens football? It goes WSL then Premier league south and North?

We are in the equivalent “in old money” (until 1958) Division 3 South - Trying to get into the Championship - then through to the WSL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Turkish said:

If we get promoted to the WSL then it looks like it will be at Readings expense. Which means you can draw a line from Brighton through Birmingham up to Manchester and we will be the only WSL team in that area, the catchment area is huge. There will be loads of fans wanting to come to Southampton for their fix of WSL Football next season!

It'll be stadium swap time next season then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2021 at 09:31, Turkish said:

If we get promoted to the WSL then it looks like it will be at Readings expense. Which means you can draw a line from Brighton through Birmingham up to Manchester and we will be the only WSL team in that area, the catchment area is huge. There will be loads of fans wanting to come to Southampton for their fix of WSL Football next season!

If we get promoted, which means winning the league and the playoff against the winners of the northern league, then we only go into the championship not the WSL. We will have to win the championship for that to happen. We would replace Watford as it stands. I do think it will come down to the game against Ipswich at home on 12th December and then away on the final day of the season on 17th April. I think either team will beat the winners of the northern league. 
 

win the championship then we can have a straight forward crack at the WSL. 

Edited by Dr Who?
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today we have 7th position 

Southampton FC Women v Cadiff Ladies. Where Ipswich get to improve their goal difference against MK Dons. 

Both kick off at 2pm and you should get the results just before lights out tonight! 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2021 at 11:17, John Boy Saint said:

We are in the equivalent “in old money” (until 1958) Division 3 South - Trying to get into the Championship - then through to the WSL.

We are in the National League South. Get promoted by winning the league and winning the playoff against the National League North winners and we will be in the Championship. Win that and we will be in the WSL. 
 

So this time in 2 years we could be in the top flight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Well today we have 7th position 

Southampton FC Women v Cadiff Ladies. Where Ipswich get to improve their goal difference against MK Dons. 

Both kick off at 2pm and you should get the results just before lights out tonight! 🙄

Match is postponed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

We are in the National League South. Get promoted by winning the league and winning the playoff against the National League North winners and we will be in the Championship. Win that and we will be in the WSL. 
 

So this time in 2 years we could be in the top flight. 

In that type we could find the mens team are relegated and funding for the women's team is cut back again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

If we get promoted, which means winning the league and the playoff against the winners of the northern league, then we only go into the championship not the WSL. We will have to win the championship for that to happen. We would replace Watford as it stands. I do think it will come down to the game against Ipswich at home on 12th December and then away on the final day of the season on 17th April. I think either team will beat the winners of the northern league. 
 

win the championship then we can have a straight forward crack at the WSL. 

Exciting times for the girls! Having a womens and mens team in the top divisions of their competitions would cement Southamptons place as a power house in European football. Surely some oil gazilliionaire will be watching the developments with interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})