Man City 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

18 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Broja must start, that is all.

Agree, specially if we only play one up top - his pace and directness are devastating. I wonder what the chances of us signing him permanently for an affordable fee are? Hope there is some provision within the loan agreement but unlikely I guess.

19 minutes ago, Red said:

Agree, specially if we only play one up top - his pace and directness are devastating. I wonder what the chances of us signing him permanently for an affordable fee are? Hope there is some provision within the loan agreement but unlikely I guess.

He signed a new 5 year contract with Chelsea shortly before joining Saints on loan. 

I'd guess Saints may try to loan him for a second season as buying will be difficult. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

McCarthy

Bednarek - Stephens - Salisu

KWP - JWP - Romeu - Perraud

Tino - A. Armstrong - Djenepo

A 3-4-3 above is what I'd like to play... I don't care about winning the Pep accolade of "best team we have played this season" and getting spanked 4-0, I want to annoy Pep and somehow grind out a 1-1 or a 0-0 because that is what will annoy him more and give us confidence that we can shut teams out. Djenepo, whilst end product is awful does work hard in fairness so I've put him in and he plays alright with Perraud. Broja/Redmond can be impact subs again - especially Redmond because I don't want to see him start.

However, this is what I think Ralph will play against City (assuming 4222):

McCarthy; Tino - Stephens - Salisu - KWP; Elyounoussi - JWP - Romeu - Djenepo; Adams - A. Armstrong

1 hour ago, Red said:

Wonder if we could do some sort of similar buy back deal like Livramento? Only way I could see them selling him next summer 

• Pilchards changed the title to Man C vs Saints
23 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

They have Champions League on Wednesday and then us on Saturday, which is the only straw I have to clutch.  

I'd be tempted to change to a back 5 and try and hurt them with our full backs and hope for the best.

Might be a mauling.

Personally hope we don't go 5 at the back, that's asking to get a pasting against a team that rarely plays one out and out striker. Some form of 4-5-1/4-1-4-1, with as much pace as possible in the 10's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Micky said:

Free hit,  go,  compete,  keep the score down, move on.  We don't go down because we lose to the likes of City.  Will be very interesting to see what Ralf does if City do start to rack them up. 

Every now and then City have a game when they don't click, Spurs away already this season and I remember their draw at home to WBA last season, you never know. Most likely we'll lose 3-0 after playing well first half, Pep will say we were one of the best teams they've faced and give Redmond a cuddle coming off the pitch. 

Only 100 or so tickets left out of our 1500 allocation,  decent numbers travelling when you consider our record there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Most likely we'll lose 3-0 after playing well first half, Pep will say we were one of the best teams they've faced and give Redmond a cuddle coming off the pitch.

I'd prefer it if Pep gave him a kick in the shins before the game: or at least a lesson on shooting and not coming inside..

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man C vs Saints - Saturday 3pm
7 hours ago, Teddeer said:

100% but not convinced Ralph will agree.

Ralph never agrees to anything reasonable. Doubtless the mad scientist that he is will come up with a Frankenstein formation where we play well first half, crumble in the second and in the post-match interview he will say we played well and had chances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Don’t think Ralph can favour an on loan striker ahead of Che or A Armstrong, so expecting a 4141 again with Che up front. Can’t see Stu Armstrong being match ready, but definitely on the bench.  Rest of the team picks itself really as I don’t think Ralph will play Timo ahead of KWP for some reason - personally I think it would work a treat and cause many more issues than using Redmond on the right.

Macca

KWP Stephens Salisu Perraud

Romeu

Timo  JWP  Diallo  Djenepo 

Che

The above team has both attacking and defensive qualities and stands a chance of keeping the scoreline respectable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t think Ralph can favour an on loan striker ahead of Che or A Armstrong

On loan or not, for this season he is a Saints asset and his future has nothing to do with our present. If he is our best striker then he should play ever week. 

Good will come of it even if he leaves at the end of the season as Adams & Armstrong will need to up their games considerably to get back into the team. 

Allow Redmond a last runaround for his love-in with Pep in a bid to pretend that he is good at football and so as to get him out of our club once and for all, somehow. If not drop him for good and play anyone with a pulse instead.

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Why? He’s better than them both. 

Based on a couple of effective cameo substitute appearances? I hope he is something special, but we won't know until he's had a few full games under his belt and teams we play will have a chance to counter his strengths. A bit harsh on Che  and A. Armstrong  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Don’t think Ralph can favour an on loan striker ahead of Che or A Armstrong, so expecting a 4141 again with Che up front. Can’t see Stu Armstrong being match ready, but definitely on the bench.  Rest of the team picks itself really as I don’t think Ralph will play Timo ahead of KWP for some reason - personally I think it would work a treat and cause many more issues than using Redmond on the right.

Macca

Romeu

Timo  JWP  Diallo  Djenepo 

Che

The above team has both attacking and defensive qualities and stands a chance of keeping the scoreline respectable.

Agree.  Think this is the formation he will choose and, if so, the players I would pick.  I'll predict a backs-to-the-wall-89th-minute-breakaway 1-0 (no point being a supporter if you can't dream; I still remember Steve Moran at Anfield when Liverpool were unbeatable)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Based on a couple of effective cameo substitute appearances? I hope he is something special, but we won't know until he's had a few full games under his belt and teams we play will have a chance to counter his strengths. A bit harsh on Che  and A. Armstrong  

No doubt in my mind that he is already better than both and will progress at a faster rate than them.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

More based on what we’ve seen from Che and Armstrong to date. 

Armstrong looks completely ineffective as a lone striker and Adams is Adams. Broja and Armstrong would be our strongest partnership, but all round, Broja offers more than Armstrong for me. 

Broja is going to be a serious player. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Armstrong looks completely ineffective as a lone striker and Adams is Adams. Broja and Armstrong would be our strongest partnership, but all round, Broja offers more than Armstrong for me. 

I hope so, I'm a fan of Che and don't want to jump to any conclusions about Armstrong as it's a big leap for him. If Broja is what it takes to keep us up this year then great.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Agree that Broja will become a seriously good player, but I think you are just displaying your usual (negative) bias in regards to our players. Yes, he did well coming on as a sub against a tiring West Ham defence on Saturday, but the sudden outcry that he must start and that he is our best striker is a bit far fetched.

Both Adams and Armstrong have scored more goals in both the prem and championship than him, and both have assisted more. Both have displayed that they fit into the TEAM - as in, how they link with the players around them. I do, however, believe both play better in a pair than as a lone striker. Adams is the better at holding/shielding the ball and bringing others into play; Armstrong the quicker, and probably better finisher.

From the little we have seen of him, Broja looks like he has the attributes to be a decent lone striker - pace, height, always looking to get a shot away. For that reason, and that alone, it might be worth starting him away at City IF we are going with a 4-1-4-1. Otherwise I would save him for the last 20 minutes from the bench.

• Like 3

This is essentially a free hit, we can't expect to really get anything from the game but we have surprised them before!

If it were my choice team would be:

McCarthy

Moi JWP Romeu Diallo Djenepo

A Armstrong

Thinking being, Ralph has used Diallo as a "10" before in parts of games, and he offers solidity. 

Tino and Broja are obviously talents, but we need experienced heads this week, and the thought of them coming on after 65/70 minutes against tired legs is very exciting compared to the option of Long and Valery!

If we revert back to 2 up top, would rather see Adams back in, than others, as he holds the ball up very well, which we will need as we'll have to work bloody hard to have it in the first place.

I'm surprised people are "expecting" us to go 4141 again. I thought Ralph made it clear the tactic was designed to allow West Ham more of the ball and draw them out a bit because they normally don't care for the ball in their own half. I don't think City need that encouragement. I think we'll go back to disrupting the opposition. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 12:00, Matthew Le God said:

He signed a new 5 year contract with Chelsea shortly before joining Saints on loan. 

I'd guess Saints may try to loan him for a second season as buying will be difficult. 

If he keeps playing like he did on Saturday, it will be impossible as he will be way out of our price range. We just have to make the most of the time he is here: a bit like when Chelsea loaned Lukaku to West Brom. Eventually, a bigger club, Everton paid a club record fee for him and then more than doubled their money when they sold him to Man United. I can see Broja following a similar path or becoming a first team regular at Chelsea.

We need to play Broja as much as possible in the time he is here. As the OP says, he must start v Man City.

Edited by Nordic Saint

I have just looked at next weekends fixtures to see how far we could drop and was rather surprised to see that all six teams below us in the table play each other Newcastle v Leeds/Burnley v Arsenal/Watford v Norwich . So they cant all pick up maximum points . With a bit of luck we should stay out of the bottom 3 even with a defeat. Mind you I am still dreaming of a draw.

10 minutes ago, WestMidSaint said:

I'm going to drive up from Birmingham with the kids. Can anyone advise whether I should fight the traffic and book a local car park or if there's an easy train/park & ride option on the way up?

Manc Airport has a tram link direct to the city centre and, I think, to the stadium.

Easy to get to off the M56 if you're coming up from Brum, but will probably be costly.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic