(Not The) Pompey Takeover Saga

jawillwill

You have to say that it's been a great effort but plucky pompey have just come up a tiny bit short after a great battle that's kept the world of football on the edge of their seats for literally days.

Cash-rich Morecambe are clearly one of the big-hitters in whatever division they're in, which looks to be a very competitive league - and their ground, whatever it's called, is known across Europe as a fortress.

For pompey to push them so close today was an epic result, the high-flying Shrimps have only lost 22 games this season, and their minus 28 goal difference demonstrates what a difficult side they are to break down.

Bravo to the Cowleys - keep up the good work, they are only about 10 or 11 players short of mounting a serious challenge, and we're only seven years away now from the Eisner's target of rubbing shoulders with Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

Today's battling draw was another huge step towards that goal.

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

"You could say we had a great team that everybody loved in 2007/08, won the FA Cup and went into Europe, but the club had no infrastructure and it also got massively in debt"

Blimey, it's almost as if they're starting to get the fact that Portsmouth Football Club (R.I.P.) bought 'success' with money they didn't have...

• Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 18:53, jawillwill said:

So, how do we all want Pompey's season to end?

a) Win their remaining 6 games, gloriously sneak in to the playoffs and then be dumped out in penalties again. Enough for Cowley to keep his job for another season of mediocrity.

b) Win the final six games convincingly and finish 7th contemplating what could have been. Division in the fan base.

c) get thrashed in every game for a mid/bottom half finish? (the most likely option). Boos for everyone. 

Having a strong end to the season. Fair play, I'm really happy for them to finish comfortably above the relegation zone. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Credit where it's due - that was a great comeback tonight and they've had a really strong finish to what has been a fantastic season.

The plucky blues are still in with a shout of grabbing that all-important 8th place.

I think the difference in prize money from 8th to 9th is £42.99

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, OldNick said:

For all the joking, that was a good comeback, and a decent crowd. As much as I dislike them I think they will compete next season.

It's a win-win for me: seeing them struggle in the championship vs just missing out on promotion from division 3 year after year. I've been leaning towards the former for a while now. Happy days. 

Chelsea v Fulham? Haha.

Burnley v Blackburn, Cardiff v Swansea, Millwall v West Ham, Derby v Forest, Bristol Rovers v Bristol City and obviously Saints v Pompey are all far more highly charged than Chelsea v Fulham and even some others on that list.

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

Oh so I didn't notice it was Premier League and most (or maybe none about from ours?) would have been played in that league.

Four games in the Premier League for Saints - Pompey.

Six for Nottingham Forest - Leicester, so it's not purely on the matches that have occurred in the Premier League (unless six is enough for one of the biggest derbies in the history of the league?).

9 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Four games in the Premier League for Saints - Pompey.

Six for Nottingham Forest - Leicester, so it's not purely on the matches that have occurred in the Premier League (unless six is enough for one of the biggest derbies in the history of the league?).

Probably influenced by the Forest v Leicester FA Cup game recently where the idiot ran onto the pitch. Chelsea v Fulham though - the Tarquin derby. West Ham v Spurs is far spicier. Leeds v Man U is the biggest omission - the songs and behaviour were as hostile as ever at Elland this year.

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Probably influenced by the Forest v Leicester FA Cup game recently where the idiot ran onto the pitch. Chelsea v Fulham though - the Tarquin derby. West Ham v Spurs is far spicier. Leeds v Man U is the biggest omission - the songs and behaviour were as hostile as ever at Elland this year.

Yeah, would agree that Man Utd - Leeds should be in there.

Forest - Leicester isn't even a two sided rivalry, it's more like Saints - Bournemouth than Saints - Pompey.

Forest would consider Derby their main, uh, derby... (and vice versa)

Incidentally there have been 10 Saints - Bournemouth games in the Prem, and far more recent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Picard said:

I thought you were a teenage girl.

Even as a 16 yo I don’t give a flying fuck what Micah Richards thinks of ranking PL derbies let alone discuss it. I’ve got make-up to put on.

• Like 1

Just watching Pointless - couple had to think of an an obscure football team that was in the Prem in both the 1980’s and 2000’s. They just won the money with Portsmouth, who were pointless. Probably potless as well I shouldn’t wonder…..

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Just watching Pointless - couple had to think of an an obscure football team that was in the Prem in both the 1980’s and 2000’s. They just won the money with Portsmouth, who were pointless. Probably potless as well I shouldn’t wonder…..

Countdown to when MLG tells you when the Premier League was formed

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

Countdown to when MLG tells you when the Premier League was formed

Lol - I’ve already been corrected on that by a Pompey ‘mate’ The correct question was ‘Football teams in the English top flight in the 1980s and the 2000s’…..

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 17:33, mack rill said:

Cant understand you moody fuckers, your not relegated lets have a Keep Ralph as Boss thread :smug: 

teetering on the edge for 3 seasons, just one more could do the trick.

is it 6 seasons in League 1 now?  To be fair most of my life Pompey have been in Division 3 and so its no surprise.  As for Saints we will be in the Championship soon as we have not been lucky with new owners, (when we were he sadly passed. Just Our luck 

• Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Gotta be some mistake in translation here? This would've been the bestest experience in his life, surely?

Screenshot_20220619-105549-604.png

They've just cut off the next part. He goes onto say, "By working hard, and learning to appreciate all that Portsmouth could offer, I could join them in their journey to European glory. My first memory was soon replaced by so many amazing ones."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just had a look over on the UI for any gossip we may have missed and saw this little gem

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/286612/page:2

They've got a resident skate dinlo camped on there who posted this earlier

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/opinion/portsmouth-v-southampton-where-best-place-live-998521

Some may remember Simon Carter who worked on the DE for a few years who moved up from Exeter. He then moved on to their local rag and done the usual bollox to get onside with portsea island's other dinlos. Basically he's bigging them up against Southampton after claiming to have lived here for a number of years and, you're never gonna believe this, declaring it's superior in just about all ways. Funny thing is, Nick Illingsworth knew him from the DE and pointed out he lived 25 miles away in Fordingbridge. And we gave him employment, the ungrateful cunt. :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

I've just had a look over on the UI for any gossip we may have missed and saw this little gem

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/286612/page:2

They've got a resident skate dinlo camped on there who posted this earlier

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/opinion/portsmouth-v-southampton-where-best-place-live-998521

Some may remember Simon Carter who worked on the DE for a few years who moved up from Exeter. He then moved on to their local rag and done the usual bollox to get onside with portsea island's other dinlos. Basically he's bigging them up against Southampton after claiming to have lived here for a number of years and, you're never gonna believe this, declaring it's superior in just about all ways. Funny thing is, Nick Illingsworth knew him from the DE and pointed out he lived 25 miles away in Fordingbridge. And we gave him employment, the ungrateful cunt. :)  

He omitted to mention in that article 46 seasons in the top flight in the last 56 years against just 8 seasons. Still Saturday 22 October is date to look forward to, with Forest Green Rovers v Portsmouth coming up…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

He omitted to mention in that article 46 seasons in the top flight in the last 56 years against just 8 seasons. Still Saturday 22 October is date to look forward to, with Forest Green Rovers v Portsmouth coming up…..

Three words that never belong together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

On Saturday evening I was at my wife's cousin's birthday bash and got talking to a Pompey fan towards the end of the evening who told me he hates ' the Premier League and never wants Pompey to be a part of it again, much better in League 1'.  Good to know that he'll probably get his wish for a long time yet.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, mickn said:

On Saturday evening I was at my wife's cousin's birthday bash and got talking to a Pompey fan towards the end of the evening who told me he hates ' the Premier League and never wants Pompey to be a part of it again, much better in League 1'.  Good to know that he'll probably get his wish for a long time yet.

It's funny how they all say that.

On 04/07/2022 at 23:11, mickn said:

FUCKIN  BULL no c**t wants to watch the shiyt served up in league one.

• Like 2