Jump to content

Saints 2-2 Burnley - Match Thread


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Nah, Burnley will be all right. They've actually been playing pretty well - by their standards - and will start shithousing points again soon enough. Hopefully not this weekend, though.

I think you're right, but longer you go without a win it can be hard to come back from. After us they have Brentford at home another game they'd expect something from. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Decent attendance expected Saturday, this game is selling well for home fans. Block 43 (normally away fans) has sold out to Saints supporters and they've now put part of block 44 on sale - don't think they could go any further due to concourse segregation. Burnley have blocks 47, 48 and part of 46 in the corner. Just need this fixture to exceed expectations now.

It's good to see and shows what a difference sensible pricing can make, opening new blocks in the Northam with the "Itchen South" pricing £15 for adults is brilliant to be fair. Not sure what the atmosphere will be like, small away following won't make much noise and Saints have made it "family day" with junior member tickets for £1 so lots of nippers there. Will be nice knowing there's no neutrals there just to watch stars playing for the opposition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't possibly win twice in a row right? 😜 When did we last achieve that? Seems a lifetime ago.  Hope I'm totally wrong but can see us returning to struggling mode, maybe a hard fought 1-1 🤞🙏 broja to continue up front surely! or will he want to return AA to not ruin his confidence

Link to post
Share on other sites

Referee: Chris Kavanagh. Assistants: Dan Cook, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: Michael Salisbury. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Matthew Wilkes.

 

This line-up makes me feel better about the weekend. I wonder which unlucky clubs are getting the irrepressible Mike Dean.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

We can't possibly win twice in a row right? 😜 When did we last achieve that? Seems a lifetime ago.  Hope I'm totally wrong but can see us returning to struggling mode, maybe a hard fought 1-1 🤞🙏 broja to continue up front surely! or will he want to return AA to not ruin his confidence

And you're usually such an optimist.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm expecting a game more like the Wolves one.  Last weekend Leeds open style contributed massively to how we were able to play.  Burnely will try to play two solid banks of four and will be happy to let us have the ball for large parts.  We will need to move the ball quickly and try to get behind their full backs - Perraud is crucial to being able to do this.  The longer it stays 0-0 the more hope they will have of hitting us on the break or with a setpiece.  Could be a frustrting afternoon unless we can get an early goal to force them to open up a bit.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr X said:

We can't possibly win twice in a row right? 😜 When did we last achieve that? Seems a lifetime ago.  Hope I'm totally wrong but can see us returning to struggling mode, maybe a hard fought 1-1 🤞🙏 broja to continue up front surely! or will he want to return AA to not ruin his confidence

I think we will, we are building a bit of momentum, we have decent options off the bench, Redmond is starting to look like his old self.  Its all about Ralph this one,  I, and many others,  felt he ballsed up the selection and subs in the Wolves game, he worried too much about them.  Leeds was much better.

(please don't pick Theo, not even from the bench, he is done, he moved like he was wearing deep sea diving boots last week)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think we will, we are building a bit of momentum, we have decent options off the bench, Redmond is starting to look like his old self.  Its all about Ralph this one,  I, and many others,  felt he ballsed up the selection and subs in the Wolves game, he worried too much about them.  Leeds was much better.

(please don't pick Theo, not even from the bench, he is done, he moved like he was wearing deep sea diving boots last week)

We all see things differnetly I suppose, but to me last week he was brought on to maintain some pace in our pressing game and I thought that was exactly what he did.  He made loads of short sprints to close down opponents and kept it difficult for them to get out of our press.  OK, he's not the player he was in his prime, but he can still do a job for us on occasion.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alanh said:

We all see things differnetly I suppose, but to me last week he was brought on to maintain some pace in our pressing game and I thought that was exactly what he did.  He made loads of short sprints to close down opponents and kept it difficult for them to get out of our press.  OK, he's not the player he was in his prime, but he can still do a job for us on occasion.

I'm just thinking about a couple of instances where we lost possession because he didn't seem to be able to react to move toward the ball. I was  seated very low down so didn't have a good overview, but I did have a good view of the instances referred to above. I think we have better options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky Sports- Dave Jones prediction: Southampton 0-1 Burnley

Southampton are easily swerved at odds-on here. They might have got their first win of the season in their deserving 1-0 victory over Leeds but I'm still very doubtful of their ability to finish the chances they create. A shot conversion rate of five per cent this season - only two teams have posted lower - isn't something I can see improving as the season develops. Burnley are one of those teams with a lower conversion rate but the numbers show they are creating a better quality of chance for their forwards.

According to Opta, Burnley have missed 10 'big chances' this season as their search for a first win goes on despite having led for 173 minutes in matches, only seven clubs have led for more. In fact, they've led for 33 minutes more than Manchester United. Sean Dyche will be targeting this game as where Burnley's season can finally start. At 3/1 with Sky Bet, they are the value call.

BBC Sport- Lawro: Southampton 2-1 Burnley

Burnley are still waiting for their first league win of the season but Southampton got theirs against Leeds last week, which was big for them.

The Clarets put up a decent fight in their defeat at Manchester City but that is the least I expect from them. Goals seem hard to come by, which is a worry.

Southampton are hardly prolific themselves, but I think they will edge this one.

Edited by nta786
Link to post
Share on other sites

JennyPo and Perraud on the left, Broja upfront please.

I know Mossa can be hit and miss, but he's forming a decent partnership with Perraud, and his unpredictability plus the Frenchman's crossing could be vital.

So, unchanged from last time out.

3-0 Saints.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Referee: Chris Kavanagh. Assistants: Dan Cook, James Mainwaring. Fourth official: Michael Salisbury. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Matthew Wilkes.

 

This line-up makes me feel better about the weekend. I wonder which unlucky clubs are getting the irrepressible Mike Dean.........

Dunno Coote lived up to my billing in the thread for Leeds 

He is prime candidate to fill the shoes of Dean - ahead of Oliver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Cat said:

Can go level on points with Villa if we win. Crucial that we start well and get the first goal as otherwise it could be a long afternoon.

"Family fun day" - it's got 0-0 or 0-1 defeat written all over it. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JRM said:

"Family fun day" - it's got 0-0 or 0-1 defeat written all over it. 

Ooh, you cynical Saints fan you! 🙂  Wouldn't it be nice to get a thumping win and all the kids get the bug. Don't worry, they'll soon learn like we have..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Suhari said:

JennyPo and Perraud on the left, Broja upfront please.

I know Mossa can be hit and miss, but he's forming a decent partnership with Perraud, and his unpredictability plus the Frenchman's crossing could be vital.

So, unchanged from last time out.

3-0 Saints.

I wonder why you can't be bothered to spell his name correctly? 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Saints nightmare game.

Burnley will play deep, 10 players behind the ball, rely on quick breaks and dead ball opportunities. We know Saints are notoriously incapable of breaking down teams who play deep….

We must score first, else Burnley will happily take a 0-0 draw. 
Sadly I can see 0-0 or 0-1 Burnley being the outcome, with Saints having 70% possession and not being able to unlock the Burnley back lines.

Wood scores from a corner….

I hope I’m completely wrong - I have a bet with a guy at work that this will be last up on match of the day tonight…

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I wonder why you can't be bothered to spell his name correctly? 

Based on his spelling of the other players I would suggest it's a joke aka humour & not aimed at the spelling police, why so serious? 

Edited by Mr X
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                                                      Mcarthy

                                KWP                     Bedders                                                                  Salisu                                      Perraud

 

                                 Tino                     Romeu                                                                  Diallo                                         Djenepo

                                                                                    Broja                                 A.Armstrong.

 

Subs.....Lyanco,Valery,Tella ,Elyounoussi,S.Armstrong,Forster,Redmond.

 

Probably going for Redmond (above the striker we bought to do the job ) Armstrong and KWP on the bench again behind Livramento or playing left back( instead of the left back we bought to fill in at that position ) Perraud. Why do we seem to identify the positions we need to be filled only for Square pegs to try and fill in round holes? baffles me as to why he keeps picking players like this. Saints to win 3-1......................

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chapel End said:

Of course he isn't, so who takes the penalties should we get one

My moneys on Redmond, seems to have been given all other dead ball responsibilities. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard this last week taken from the Leeds fans. Follow follow follow, we’re the best on the south coast you know, from ori to stevens,  Armstrong to Tino and prowsey our Hampshire pirlow. Liked it 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chapel End said:

Of course he isn't, so who takes the penalties should we get one

Probably Redmond? Maybe Arma, if he is on the pitch? Romeu also takes a decent pen (even scored one for Chelsea when there).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2021 at 15:26, JRM said:

It's good to see and shows what a difference sensible pricing can make, opening new blocks in the Northam with the "Itchen South" pricing £15 for adults is brilliant to be fair. Not sure what the atmosphere will be like, small away following won't make much noise and Saints have made it "family day" with junior member tickets for £1 so lots of nippers there. Will be nice knowing there's no neutrals there just to watch stars playing for the opposition. 

So adult tickets are going for £15, new customers only! 
Guess ST holders will be well impressed with that. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roo1976 said:

                                                                                                      Mcarthy

                                KWP                     Bedders                                                                  Salisu                                      Perraud

 

                                 Tino                     Romeu                                                                  Diallo                                         Djenepo

                                                                                    Broja                                 A.Armstrong.

 

Subs.....Lyanco,Valery,Tella ,Elyounoussi,S.Armstrong,Forster,Redmond.

 

Probably going for Redmond (above the striker we bought to do the job ) Armstrong and KWP on the bench again behind Livramento or playing left back( instead of the left back we bought to fill in at that position ) Perraud. Why do we seem to identify the positions we need to be filled only for Square pegs to try and fill in round holes? baffles me as to why he keeps picking players like this. Saints to win 3-1......................

Nothing hypocritical in this post then.... Complaining about players being used out of their usual/best position and then put a young player who has only ever played at RB in the premier league (and that for all of 8 matches) in at RM...... just so you can squeeze him, KWP and Perraud into your starting 11. News flash, KWP played at LB a number of times for Spurs previously (yes, even under Pochettino) and has performed that role for us very well when asked, except for one occasion - against Wolves. But hey, you keep banging that drum if it makes you feel better. 🙄 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vectraman said:

This is a Saints nightmare game.

Burnley will play deep, 10 players behind the ball, rely on quick breaks and dead ball opportunities. We know Saints are notoriously incapable of breaking down teams who play deep….

We must score first, else Burnley will happily take a 0-0 draw. 
Sadly I can see 0-0 or 0-1 Burnley being the outcome, with Saints having 70% possession and not being able to unlock the Burnley back lines.

Wood scores from a corner….

I hope I’m completely wrong - I have a bet with a guy at work that this will be last up on match of the day tonight…

 

Agree my worry too, traditionally a game we struggle with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

So adult tickets are going for £15, new customers only! 
Guess ST holders will be well impressed with that. 

Couldn’t care less. I’d rather a full ground and clog a few tickets on the cheap. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vectraman said:

This is a Saints nightmare game.

Burnley will play deep, 10 players behind the ball, rely on quick breaks and dead ball opportunities. We know Saints are notoriously incapable of breaking down teams who play deep….

We must score first, else Burnley will happily take a 0-0 draw. 
Sadly I can see 0-0 or 0-1 Burnley being the outcome, with Saints having 70% possession and not being able to unlock the Burnley back lines.

Wood scores from a corner….

I hope I’m completely wrong - I have a bet with a guy at work that this will be last up on match of the day tonight…

 

Can’t help but agree with this as well. I can see a similar format to the Wolves game here.

An early goal for us completely changes the picture however, like at Turf Moor last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

                                                                                                      Mcarthy

                                KWP                     Bedders                                                                  Salisu                                      Perraud

 

                                 Tino                     Romeu                                                                  Diallo                                         Djenepo

                                                                                    Broja                                 A.Armstrong.

 

Subs.....Lyanco,Valery,Tella ,Elyounoussi,S.Armstrong,Forster,Redmond.

 

Probably going for Redmond (above the striker we bought to do the job ) Armstrong and KWP on the bench again behind Livramento or playing left back( instead of the left back we bought to fill in at that position ) Perraud. Why do we seem to identify the positions we need to be filled only for Square pegs to try and fill in round holes? baffles me as to why he keeps picking players like this. Saints to win 3-1......................

Redmond will almost definitely start and deservedly so after last performance. Interesting stat I heard - Redmond has been involved in all of our goals from open play so far

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be good if our manager rewarded the win with a settled team selection but fear he will tinker to show what a tactical genius he is. Suspect they will be hard to break down and 1-1 or 0-0 not a disaster, but obvs will be hoping for a win aided by me avoiding the score again (worked last week) (ish)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DT said:

It would be good if our manager rewarded the win with a settled team selection but fear he will tinker to show what a tactical genius he is. Suspect they will be hard to break down and 1-1 or 0-0 not a disaster, but obvs will be hoping for a win aided by me avoiding the score again (worked last week) (ish)

How about he tinkers as he knows they will put 10 behind the ball so tactically he needs to change from the side put out against Leeds as Leeds would never play with 10 behind the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DT said:

It would be good if our manager rewarded the win with a settled team selection but fear he will tinker to show what a tactical genius he is. Suspect they will be hard to break down and 1-1 or 0-0 not a disaster, but obvs will be hoping for a win aided by me avoiding the score again (worked last week) (ish)

As long as he tinkers enough to start Stu Armstrong, if he is fit (sounds like he is) it would be madness not to include him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})