Willy Caballero

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I assume you mean Caballero, and I understand that. I'm not disappointed with his signing - he's a quality keeper, although it remains to be seen how he has aged - I just dont see the reasoning behind not using Lewis when he's not a youngster nor is he completely lacking in experience. If we aren't willing to give him games now for a few weeks, a month or two at most, we are never intending on him being in the first team.

Yes we do not intend him ever being in the first team if we can help it. It shouldn't be that hard to fathom, it's hardly a new thing in the prem in terms of the job description of a third choice goalie. Just because he's 23 rather than 37 doesn't change the fact he's taken such a gig, probably because it pays better than any other option he had.

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Yes we do not intend him ever being in the first team if we can help it. It shouldn't be that hard to fathom, it's hardly a new thing in the prem in terms of the job description of a third choice goalie. Just because he's 23 rather than 37 doesn't change the fact he's taken such a gig, probably because it pays better than any other option he had.

If we have no intention of ever playing him then he's not third choice is he, our third choice keeper is actually *miscellaneous free agent*. 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Well then why bother having a third choice keeper at all? 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we have no intention of ever playing him then he's not third choice is he, our third choice keeper is actually *miscellaneous free agent*. 

The signing a free transfer option was only triggered by 1st and 2nd choice being injured. We needed a 3rd choice keeper on the bench on Saturday.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Call the position whatever you want. He's there on matchday as a cheap extra redundancy like on Saturday. You don't have to drag the young prospect away from the B team to most likely not even warm the bench. He's not there because we think never playing and sitting on a bench will develop him as a footballer. To quote Stuart Taylor on his time at saints, "nobody promised me anything. I know my role."

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The emergency loan option was only triggered by 1st and 2nd choice being injured. We needed a 3rd choice keeper on the bench on Saturday.

In this case we are not signing an emergency loan? As a free agent we could have signed him anyway without the injuries? 

The rumour that we are after Johnston from WBA in Jan with Forster to go there on loan for rest of the season will be interesting to see if that happens. 

• Like 1

I've always liked Caballero when I've seen him play.  A good keeper, solid professional, calm and, importantly for the way we play, good with his feet.  Obviously we don't know how fit he's stayed or whether age has caught him up, but as things stand it's probably as good as we could have wished for.

It was a freak set of circumstances that lead us here, but it may end up being a really good short term signing.  I'm not as down on our first two keepers as much as some on here, but even I can see this might actually be a short term upgrade.

It will be interesting to see if Lewis is given a chance on Saturday or whether Willy will be straight in (it's the name that just keeps giving).  Either way I expect him to be a stabilising and positive presence in the squad.

• Like 5

Clearly a decent player with decent pedigree, it's more whether he's fit enough and capable enough, but he's a no lose signing really. I would expect one of Forster or Macca will be back by the time the transfer window opens, or if not, we can get someone else then.

He is decent with his feet though, and was picked ahead of Hart at Cityfor a while becuase of his strength in that area.

It's worth a punt for sure.

For those particularly interested in such things, I did a very quick stats analysis comparing him to our current two keepers. If you aren't interested in stats, look away now! This is for people who are.

Save % comparison

Here is their respective save % over the last 12 seasons:

image.png.b52bbd8735456a4c99be4751cd68725c.png

Note this only includes top flight seasons, and that Pre 2015 Fraser was in Scotland and Willy was in Spain.

• You can see from this a steady decline in Forsters form, from being the best of the three pre 2016 to being the worst until 2019.
  • Following this he had a brief resurgence in an easier scottish league and again after coming back, putting him ahead of McCarthy.
  • Willy has been pretty consistently middlish throughout his career, until his final year where numbers plummeted but worth noting he only played 180 mins in that year so maybe take with a massive pinch of salt.
  • McCarthy has been universally pretty average

xG prevented comparison

Here is the xG prevented (how many goals they conceded vs how many they would expect to concede) for each in the last 5 seasons, data only available for prem minutes.

image.png.df62321dfde524a3c0f016ae7a543cd6.png

• Again, not much data and pinches of salt all round
  • Willy seemed to be the best and pretty consistent until 2020/21 which is likely an erroneous season given his small number of minutes.
  • Macca did well the season before last but that seems to be an anomaly in his career.
  • Forster hasn't really been good since 2016 and xG data is only available as of 2017, which doesn't benefit him.
  • Forster had almost the same xG prevented as Macca last year, it's hard to see as there is no line as he didn't play in the prem the season before or after, but you can see the dot

Final takeaways

• Willy seems to have been consistently the best since 2016/17 when Forster really dropped off formwise.
  • He had a bad year in 20/21 but only played 180 mins so hard to judge too accurately.
  • Macca is poor, pre-2017 Forster was much better but nowadays they are much of muchness.
  • Data is a little scarce on all three as neither has consistently held down a starting birth for multiple years since 2017, so take with many pinches of salt

All data was harvested from FBRef

• Like 1

Harry Lewis is much maligned on here, though the evidence for him being as useless as people think is sketchy at best (the evidence of him being any good likewise). It was thought quite a coup when we signed him from Shrewsbury in 2015, when being compared to Joe Hart was considered a good thing. Had a decent spell at Dundee Utd in the Scot Champ when he was only 20. Trouble is I guess everyone remembers his complete clusterfuck of a game against Arsenal when he was thrown into a very dodgy team by Monsieur Puel (?). Don't know what's happened since he came back from Dundee Utd, but then he was recommended by Dave Watson so perhaps that explains his lack of development. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis in goal against Arsenal with Willy on the bench, who knows, especially if Willy is not really up to speed fitness wise.

19 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Dan sheldon @ the athletic is now reporting saints have struck a short term deal with Willy cabellero .. the headline currently on twitter is “release the Willy “

just in time to face the Arse. etc etc

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The signing a free transfer option was only triggered by 1st and 2nd choice being injured. We needed a 3rd choice keeper on the bench on Saturday.

Nice edit there 🤣 I guess calling it an emergency loan option was a typo….

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero - Official: 1 Month Contract

I wonder if he thinks about signing for another English club, "enough with the fucking willy jokes, whats wrong with you people?"

And on giving Lewis a few tips : "Willy drills young understudy as Saints look to shore up the back"

• Lighthouse changed the title to Willy Caballero