Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs

stevy777_x

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

It's what happens when you offer someone a contract and they turn it down. Reckon he has next season sorted already and has had for some time. To be honest up to the game where he got injured McCarthy was absolutely fine. Then he made a complete twat of himself. Wouldn't surprise me if we move Macca on as well as Forster and the other guy who's name escapes me, and go with Willy as a backup to a new no 1 next season.

Was he injured at Norwich? You must have been watching a different McCarthy.

54 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

True, but McCarthy isn't.

I didn't say he was. 

There's a lot of solid keepers around who can catch crosses, make saves and kick a ball straight. One of them will do.

Maybe we'll renew our interest in Strakosha from Lazio who is running his contract down, although it seems like Newcastle and West Ham are both more likely.

• Like 1

Doesnt change anything in my mind. In fact FF could have 7 more worldie performances this season and I still think we should move him on. I rate him but we cant start another season with FF and AMcC and unfortunately we made our bed by giving the latter a new contract. The mind boggles

I think a lot of people are missing the point. No-one is saying we can't do better than Forster - but we should be letting them both go, not keeping McCarthy. If we ARE keeping one of them, it should be Forster. Calling it now, we'll sign a youngster and McCarthy will be first choice on the opening day or the season again.

Edited by Saint_clark

The GK position has become quite a predicament. There is 0 chance Forster stays beyond this season though, I'd imagine that's already done and dusted and we all know he's leaving on a free.

McCarthy has been given the new contract, so he was the chosen one.  (and cheaper one, you'd have to say).

I can see Forster turning up at a Top 6 club as their bench keeper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I think a lot of people are missing the point. No-one is saying we can't do better than Forster - but we should be letting them both go, not keeping McCarthy. If we ARE keeping one of them, it should be Forster. Calling it now, we'll sign a youngster and McCarthy will be first choice on the opening day or the season again.

Fair point, though both were offered deals before the takeover. I suspect they saw McCarthy as a cheap option to keep on the books and hope to have a new number 1 (a role Fraser didn’t want, which is why he’s off).

You’re right though, if McCarthy is number one come first game of next season that is abject failure. 

I might be making this up, but weren't reports at the time of the new McCarthy deal suggesting that they had been offered deals on "second choice terms", hence why Forster turned down the offer. There's no doubting that Forster's the better of the two now, and I was a long-term McCarthy supporter, as he was doing the simple things right, while for a very long period Forster simply wasn't. I remember when simple catches from him were being sarcastically cheered in the stadium and any shot from range and on target seemingly went in. However, he now seems to be the player we originally signed, before the injury and before the new contract. But, that in itself then brings a new element of risk with any new contract. For many years now, we've been hoping for a team to sign Forster, but that simply hasn't happened, as no other club could afford to take him on/match what we were paying. That left us with a large outlay of our wage budget going on a player that wasn't in the matchday squad for a large percentage of their contract and a major player within the "unsellables". 

So, yes, Forster was incredible today and for years I've been saying we need a goalkeeper who we can come away from a match saying "fucking hell, how did we win that?" and Forster was that goalkeeper today. However, next week he could drop a clanger, as he did against Leeds two weeks ago. That's Forster now and in order to progress with the goalkeeper position we need someone more consistent and again given his history, there's no telling that if we did offer him a new contract with a promise of him being our number one, that his form doesn't fall off a cliff again, hamstringing us in the market again. It's too risky for a club with our budget.

A good servant for the club, eight years, but at 34 now, I think his best option would be to take up the Scott Carson/Lee Grant/Andy Lonergan role at a big club as their homegrown quota, or I could see a return to Newcastle as their number two, where he will be paid a lot more handsomely than he would be as our number two here.

• Like 3

I can see us buying a new GK whether FF stays or not. He is a good back up but as someone said above we can do better.

If he goes he could end up at a top eight club as a bench warmer.

AM should have his contract terminated, regardless of whether he signed it last week, last month, last year, whenever. He’s just extremely poor.

From what I gather FF does love being at Saints, the area and is best mates with JWP. No - being friends with someone doesn’t qualify for a contract extension but maybe JWP captaincy could have an influence on whether FF gets an extension too.

I’d give FF a new contract on the basis that we sign the new van Dijk CB to sit in front of him 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

AM should have his contract terminated, regardless of whether he signed it last week, last month, last year, whenever. He’s just extremely poor.

Why on earth would Saints do that? They'd need to pay him millions of pounds to end his contract early. So it really wouldn't be a money saving idea, it would cost the club a lot of cash!

If they really didn't want him they could attempt to sell him and try to make some money on him if at all possible.

11 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Take a bow for that performance Fraser. The first save from Sako was ridiculously brilliant.

Really? It was a good save but it was pretty central and a great height for Fraser to push over. Great performance overall though.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Overall its a rather odd situation, giving McCarthy the contract based on largely mediocre performances. But I can't see see them renewing Forster now despite his obvious uptick in form because that is two 'older' keepers on first team contracts and if Forster reverts to his form that saw he dropped and sent out on loan we are lumbered with two keepers who are not good enough.

You'd think they would have said to them both that basically they had this season to earn a new contract and whoever performed best would have got it. 

8 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

Really? It was a good save but it was pretty central and a great height for Fraser to push over. Great performance overall though.

It came at him fast, so good reflexes. For me the pick of them was his save from Smith-Rowe, the ball looked almost behind him. He had another recently like that too but they are just phenomenal saves.

I don't want to overreact and say he should start next season but it's worth appreciating just what an incredible game it was.

• Like 2

After that performance this is not the time to make judgements. Need to view it a little more objectively.

Both FF and AM are the wrong side of 30. Both have great games but equally both can mess up. All goalies do that occasionally but most are consistent.

The lack of consistency at GK and CH has been the core problem for Saints these last few years.

Frazer knows that going forward he will inevitably become No2 to a younger goalie. That is probably the reason he'll leave at the end of the season. I think McCarthy has already accepted that as his future.

Interesting conundrum for the club.

34 minutes ago, TWar said:

It came at him fast, so good reflexes. For me the pick of them was his save from Smith-Rowe, the ball looked almost behind him.

That's how I saw it too. For the Saka save he did well to get back across the goal but really Saka should be putting that away comfortably. The keeper shouldn't be given a chance but his shot gave him one because it was at a good height for him and central.

That second save was very good.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yozzman said:

It truth it was a terrible miss, Saka put it in the only place Forster could save it. Credit for keeping it out but Saka 12 yards out unmarked with half the goal to aim at should be scoring that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It truth it was a terrible miss, Saka put it in the only place Forster could save it. Credit for keeping it out but Saka 12 yards out unmarked with half the goal to aim at should be scoring that.

*PTSD intensifies* 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

That's how I saw it too. For the Saka save he did well to get back across the goal but really Saka should be putting that away comfortably. The keeper shouldn't be given a chance but his shot gave him one because it was at a good height for him and central.

That second save was very good.

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Dion Dublin on MOTD pointed out JWP’s role in getting back and maybe distracting Shaka just enough for him to miss. 

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Dion Dublin on MOTD pointed out JWP’s role in getting back and maybe distracting Shaka just enough for him to miss. 

The midfield definitely put in more of a shift than they did in the previous 2 games and things like that definitely make a difference.

Romeu looked far more his normal self yesterday, maybe he'd been carrying an injury or illness because he's looked way off the pace recently.

That was the best performance I’ve seen him put in. I was at Arsenal for the 0-0 when he saved everything, but yesterday was better. As well as he played that night, a lot of “saves” were just the ball hitting his ugly mug or body, yesterday he showed agility way beyond my expectations. Really decent performance.

Going forward it clearly can’t be FF and McCarthy again, and whilst most would say Frasier is now ahead of AM the pecking order, the decision appears to have been made. AM is  a perfectly acceptable number 2 at our club, but not when the number 1 is prone to dips in form and has only just started performing at the required level. I don’t think there can be too much criticism of the club over letting Frasier go, unless AM is starting in nets  next season, that’ll be fucking criminal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

3 hours ago, TWar said:

It came at him fast, so good reflexes. For me the pick of them was his save from Smith-Rowe, the ball looked almost behind him. He had another recently like that too but they are just phenomenal saves.

I don't want to overreact and say he should start next season but it's worth appreciating just what an incredible game it was.

watching on Motd from behind the goal FF had good vision on his saves and was in position to dive etc . The one's he dosn't save is when he needs instant thought and reaction by which time it's in the net.

Forster has played fantastically well last few games, just like he did 5 years ago. We gave him a lucrative 5 year deal and for most of it he has been mediocre. No way does he deserve a new deal as number 1. McCarthy also should not be number 1. I so hope we have a new number 1 lined up and get him in early. 
Please not Johnstone - he has been crap for WBA this season.

We need an experienced goalkeeper with PL experience. Not a nipper. We do not want to start next season with McCarthy in goal.

• Like 3

I feel about Fraser like I do about Shane.  I'm loving both their swan song performances, it's great to leave the club on a high (a bit like finishing a round of golf with a good 18th).  But they are both the past, not the future.  I hope Fraser has done enough to play every match somewhere smaller or warm there bench at a big club - we fall in between those stools.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Forster has played fantastically well last few games, just like he did 5 years ago. We gave him a lucrative 5 year deal and for most of it he has been mediocre. No way does he deserve a new deal as number 1. McCarthy also should not be number 1. I so hope we have a new number 1 lined up and get him in early. 
Please not Johnstone - he has been crap for WBA this season.

We need an experienced goalkeeper with PL experience. Not a nipper. We do not want to start next season with McCarthy in goal.

Personally I’d give him another 5 year contract and then look at extending it by a further year come Christmas if it’s going well…..

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why? 

Better value for money abroad. Qn experienced and good keeper with PL experience is likely to be expensive.

Because we don’t want an unknown quantity in goal. It’s the key position and we can’t afford to buy a nipper from abroad with no PL experience, and then find he is gash. And end up with McCarthy in goal again who is mediocre. 
yes abroad may be better value - but only if they end up any good!

I don’t care if abroad is better value, I’m not paying. I just want a good quality number 1 keeper. I’m a Saints fan, not an accountant.

Have to trust the scouting/ recruitment on this one. Forster has shown how important a good keeper is to us. They may think he's not what they want going forward. But Forster's form has set the bar for the quality we need replaced (as a minimum, for a number who feel that there are significant improvements that can be made here, even for our budget).

A couple of comments suggested they have a type of player in mind. So, we can only trust them, when Forster goes. I hope we're not at this point next season, bemoaning letting Forster go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Have to trust the scouting/ recruitment on this one. Forster has shown how important a good keeper is to us. They may think he's not what they want going forward. But Forster's form has set the bar for the quality we need replaced (as a minimum, for a number who feel that there are significant improvements that can be made here, even for our budget).

A couple of comments suggested they have a type of player in mind. So, we can only trust them, when Forster goes. I hope we're not at this point next season, bemoaning letting Forster go.

This thread is certainly going to be interesting to revisit if we do. The chances of a club with our budget replacing him with a better goalkeeper are slim. It may take years of trial and error. We still haven't replaced Fonte.

8 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

This thread is certainly going to be interesting to revisit if we do. The chances of a club with our budget replacing him with a better goalkeeper are slim. It may take years of trial and error. We still haven't replaced Fonte.

Sadly true. Fonte wasn’t the greatest player but he was a leader and organiser which she lacked since. Forster isn’t that but on current form we’re going to struggle to get better on our budget 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fraser Forster - Official: Signs for Spurs