Eurosport blog post: Ambition and power player

andoru

The one thing about the argument about 'you'd leave if someone offered to double your wages' I don't understand, has anyone worked in a business or trade where someone has done that? I know of one person, who left that employment after about six weeks when he realised they wanted him to work really hard and long hours for the money and, I'm not being holier than thou here, but the first thing I would ask is 'why would someone want to double my wages?'

End the end though as WGS has said many times the world of top-level professional football and the 'real world' bear no relation to each other so comparing the two is ultimately pointless.

I did like the definition of ambition in the article though and do agree with that - shortcuts are so much easier for most footballers, entitlement is what it is all about, the 'do you know who I am brigade' - lumped in with actors, pop-stars and front-bench politicians.

Meh! It's alright for a piece of amateur blogging. I personally would have likde someone to have proof read it at least once before it was published.

Would also have been a good idea for the author to research the legalities (or otherwise) of football player contracts. The entire piece builds to suggest that if Southampton FC had only enforced those contracts then players would not leave. This is simply not true, however the last par states:

"But, should the widespread belief that they’ll be part of the relegation dogfight in 2014/15 come to pass, they’ve nobody to blame but themselves for not enforcing the contracts they had the likes of Lovren and Schneiderlin sign."

The 'rules' regarding football transfers, contracts and player 'ownership' are just that RULES within the game and are superseded by both UK and EU Law. I mean good article n all that, but clearly not the best informed in regard to employment law (neither am I but I know this much!!!).

Polaroid Saint, I'm no expert either (at anything) but I believe you can circumnavigate the European and UK Employment laws citing special circumstances. Certainly the world of top class professional football would fall under this as it appears all the power is with players at the moment. Having said that if you a full-time player in the Conference or lower divisions you probably do need these laws to help you.

It's a minefield but I think most people think it does need sorting out before it implodes and takes some clubs with it.

Meh! It's alright for a piece of amateur blogging. I personally would have likde someone to have proof read it at least once before it was published.

Would also have been a good idea for the author to research the legalities (or otherwise) of football player contracts. The entire piece builds to suggest that if Southampton FC had only enforced those contracts then players would not leave. This is simply not true, however the last par states:

"But, should the widespread belief that they’ll be part of the relegation dogfight in 2014/15 come to pass, they’ve nobody to blame but themselves for not enforcing the contracts they had the likes of Lovren and Schneiderlin sign."

The 'rules' regarding football transfers, contracts and player 'ownership' are just that RULES within the game and are superseded by both UK and EU Law. I mean good article n all that, but clearly not the best informed in regard to employment law (neither am I but I know this much!!!).

Ah, c'mon. This is worth the entrance fee alone.

A footballer’s desire to play for big clubs, even if that means swapping a regular starting role for rotation or fringe involvement, is about as ambitious as it is to marry a rich spouse.

I did like that bit Pap, I have to admit! Sums it up nicely, I've been using the x-factor analogy but rich Spouse is better!

Cheers David, yes, I quite agree; special circumstances n all that; but only in the players favour isn't it? A club cannot force a player (employee) to work beyond their will?!

I thought the article/blog was decent enough, just felt it ignored these (in my view) prescient points a bit too willfully in order to 'blame' Southampton at the end.