Budget smartphone

terrypward

I am not usually one for this type of thread, but this week I purchased a Huawei G300 handset for £99 at Tesco. The handset is fantastic. If anyone is looking for a cheap mobile, I strongly recommend it. 1GHz processor (same speed as iPhone 4), officially upgradeable to Android ICS, 4" screen, 5MP camera with flash and not unattractive in design IMO.

It comes locked to Vodafone, but it's £4.99 to unlock using a service on eBay. Got the unlock code within 2 business hours.

My reason for purchasing was that I spent a fair amount upgrading my computer and needed to make up for it - so decided to cash in on my iPhone and buy a cheap handset to get me through to my next upgrade. Expectations have been exceeded.

... and no, I don't work for them!

• 2 weeks later...

Have just invested in a Google Nexus 7 as my iPad 1's slowness started bothering me after playing with the in-laws iPad 3.

I am in America at the moment and the 8GB tablet set me back $199 (£135ish). Think they start at £169 back home. Mine came with $25 credit to buy apps with and Transformers 3 preloaded. Easily outperforms it's price.

Its likely the phone and new tablet will both keep me happy for a while!