Dad's Army

Thorpe-le-Saint

Love the program and was bought the complete box set for xmas, however, as I am not a 'buff' (much like I am with The Simpsons and Family Guy), can anyone shed any light on as to why series 2 is called the 'Lost Series' and why there are only 3 episodes?

I believe it is because the BBC threw out all the master tapes in the 1970s as part of a spring clean to make more space available. The three episodes are ones that have been recovered because there were other copies in the hands of individuals buried away in attics and suchlike.

I believe it is because the BBC threw out all the master tapes in the 1970s as part of a spring clean to make more space available. The three episodes are ones that have been recovered because there were other copies in the hands of individuals buried away in attics and suchlike.

Either that, or the BBC also recorded over a load of stuff around that time - including some Dr Who episodes that are completely lost. Ridiculous short-sighted decision making.