Beta Marine Engine - Coolant loss

hamster

Hi,

I have just been told that the engine on our narrow-boat has been losing water at the rate of approx 1 litre a day. We are off for a few days from Saturday with the in-law's for their first ever go on the canals and I am a bit concerned that the problem may worsen with more use, potentially leaving us in the middle of nowhere without lighting, power and hot water..

A bit hard to explain the set up but the coolant reservoir is about 4 feet above the engine which is in turn under the floor of the stern area. It is gravity fed not a sealed/pressurised system.

The heated coolant is diverted to a heat exchange type tank, similar to an immersion heater, where it heats the domestic hot water.

The chap who looks after maintenance etc is planning to have the head removed as he suspects that that is the source of the problem. However I have been told that a diesel engine of that type is unlikely to have suffered that sort of damage and it is more likely a leak from a pipe or pipe connector on the run to or from the heat exchange thingy.

Thoughts please and advice as to what I (as an amateur) might be able to do to rectify it. Not many tools on board but i could take some basic ones and have a tinker.

One of my major concerns is the needless outlay for an engineer to start taking it apart needlessly.

Having not seen the problem first hand I can't really add much, sorry.

Really appreciate any advice.

hamster

NB

The system also supplies the radiators and is backed up by what is known as a hurricane heater for when the engine is not running, this is turned on and off manually.

Edited by hamster