12v CPU power / MOBO problem

Saint_Jonny

Ello, one for the techys amoung you.

Just built a new PC for a mate, the power supply I bought for him was a dudd, I found this out by taking my power supply out and trying it in the new system, which booted up as I expected. I put the PSU back in my system and the system has all the symptoms of no 12v CPU power plug in (the 4 pin cpu power thingy, you know what i mean!). I tried another power supply and get the same result (the comp turns on, all fans bells and whistles, but no screen output and the cd drive wont power up, this tells me that the 12v cpu plug isnt working).

Anyone got any idea what I might be doing wrong before I declare the motherboard dead and try to get a new one out of ASUS? Ive checked and double checked that I've got everything plugged in where it should be but no joy. Got a tonne of work to do and its not ganna get done on this ****ty laptop!!

Ello, one for the techys amoung you.

Just built a new PC for a mate, the power supply I bought for him was a dudd, I found this out by taking my power supply out and trying it in the new system, which booted up as I expected. I put the PSU back in my system and the system has all the symptoms of no 12v CPU power plug in (the 4 pin cpu power thingy, you know what i mean!). I tried another power supply and get the same result (the comp turns on, all fans bells and whistles, but no screen output and the cd drive wont power up, this tells me that the 12v cpu plug isnt working).

Anyone got any idea what I might be doing wrong before I declare the motherboard dead and try to get a new one out of ASUS? Ive checked and double checked that I've got everything plugged in where it should be but no joy. Got a tonne of work to do and its not ganna get done on this ****ty laptop!!

Do you mean your PSU powered your mates system up ok? Or your PSU and his replacement won't boot his PC?

Brings back horrible memories of the last time I had similar problems and it was a knackered motherboard. Was the pc started without the CPU fan power connector connected by accident? Known this to fry the motherboard before.

Yea I put his replacement PSU in my comp and it still wouldnt boot, did the same thing (turning on but not properly). To be honest I do think the MOBO could be knackered which is CRAZY because its 4 months old, and all I did was un plug and re plug a few wires in! Really really frustrating.

Yea I put his replacement PSU in my comp and it still wouldnt boot, did the same thing (turning on but not properly). To be honest I do think the MOBO could be knackered which is CRAZY because its 4 months old, and all I did was un plug and re plug a few wires in! Really really frustrating.

So in that case you reckon both mobos are screwed as same happening on both? Sure PSU is right one and is powerful enough??

Nooo my mates mobo isnt fooked, got that to boot up eventually after sourcing another PSU (which I also tested in mine). So I have one working comp that needs an OS putting on it, no problem there, its just my beast that has all but died on me when i've got tonnes of work to do. I'll go looking for an independent computer store tomorrow probably :/

Oooooh I get the scenario now sorry :) well it sounds like either the motherboard has gone or something is shutting things down because somethings wrong. I take it the CPU fan/heatshrink wasn't moved was it? When I had a similar problem it was the motherboard failing because the CPU heatshrink wasn't connected properly so it thought it was overheating. Is it just the CPU fan going when it's switched on or are lights etc on? Might be worth taking it somewhere and not tinker too much as although I thought I knew what I was doing when I had a problem but I ended up actually blowing my motherboard (I'm prob not the best person to give advice am I hehe)

Any advice is good advice mate! It has given me a bit of a shock as I considered my self a bit of a know it all before this happened, but I knew when to quit and stopped fiddling with it a long time ago. £70 quid for a replacement mobo is something I really don't wanna have to spend to hopefully taking it to an expert will make it feel better!

Any advice is good advice mate! It has given me a bit of a shock as I considered my self a bit of a know it all before this happened, but I knew when to quit and stopped fiddling with it a long time ago. £70 quid for a replacement mobo is something I really don't wanna have to spend to hopefully taking it to an expert will make it feel better!

Just gotta hope you don't get ripped off by the repairers though as will be expensive ontop of mobo if needed :-S have you checked novatech to see if you can get new mobo any cheaper? I replaced mine with a fairly cheap gigatech one from there and it's been absolutely fine. Think it was about 40 quid.

Its fixed! It was all my fault. Got a mate round to look at them both before i spent any money getting them looked at. I hadn't put the spacer nuts on either of the comps so the MOBO's were shorting against the case. So it has been blind luck that all the comps ive built over the years have worked fine without them, apparently, but yesterday the gods of short circuiting came down and punched me in the balls. I felt like a rite tool! But hey, my monster comp is ALIIIVE!