Older iPhones

jasonb

Hi,

I'm just out of contract and have kept my blackberry from the contract. I am now using a PAYG deal from giffgaff (excellent tarrifs). However, my phone is a bit cack and I'm looking at buying a handset outright rather than getting another contract.

I would love an iPhone but can't justify the expense of the latest 4S. I know the iPhone 5 is due sometime this year but was wondering about the older models... anyone still love their 3G or 3GS... can these handsets run the latest IOS?

I've done some research but you can't beat some first-hand information as well.

TIA

I wouldn't go near a 3G(S) personally. Apple do the same trick with iOS that Wintel have been doing for years with Windows - ie each subsequent iteration of the operating system hogs more and more resources, making older devices obsolete. My old 3G ran iOS 4 like a dog, let alone iOS 5.

Despite last year's delayed 4S release, all signs are pointing to the iPhone 5 reverting to the old release schedule - so it will be out in the next 6 weeks or so. If you hang on until then, you'll be able to pick up a iPhone 4 for a knockdown price, as all the early adopters who bought a 4 the day it was released will be just out of their 24 month contract and will be looking to upgrade to a 5.

That is exactly the position I'm in... I'm currently writing this post on an iPhone 4, had it since release day so just under 2 years. It's very decent, more than capable of running every app I throw at it (and I have some pretty demanding ones on there), and the differences between a 4 and 4S are, imo, negligible.

In fact in a few weeks you can have this one off me for a reasonable price ;)