if you want lowe to go then....

lordswoodsaints

v Leyton Orient May 9 1966

Forsyth Webb Hollywood White Knapp Walker Paine Chivers Dean Melia Sydenham - Five

v Man Utd 1 May 1976

Turner Rodriques Peach Holmes Blyth Steele Gilchrist Channon Osgood McCalliog Stokes -Three

v Leyton Orient 25 April 1978

Wells Andruszewski Peach Williams Nicholl Pickering (Hebberd) Ball Boyer MacDougall Holmes Funnell - Five

v Liverpool 28 Nov 1981

Katalinic Golac Holmes Williams Nicholl Waldron Keegan Channon Moran Armstrong Ball - Five

v Liverpool 21 October 1989

Flowers Dodd Benali Case Ruddock Osman Le Tissier ****erill Shearer Rideout Wallace - Four

By having very good players from our youth system allowed us to bring in a few top players whilst in the 2000s we had to virtually buy in a whole team of mostly second rate players. That is why I think it is important that our youngsters are given a chance. Channon was not that good when he first played but that of course soon changed

I think this supports the the approach, the trouble is where and how much are players like Case (Robbie Savage??), ****erill, Osman, Ruddock and Rideout going to cost in these times.

Going back to a previous team, Katalinic Golac Holmes Williams Nicholl Waldron Keegan Channon Moran Armstrong Ball, the nearest equivilent of Keegan now is Owen, $100k a week and £10m to buy at a guess, Armstrong probably the best midfielder outside the England set-up at the time, an equivilent would be say the guy from Bolton who scored a few goals a season or so ago (name???), again probably £4-5m.

This is the difference in today's money game clubs like us cannot afford even the second rate players and have to grow from within - we may just about be able to afford £4-5m if in the PL and I was asking for this long before we went down - bring in one or two good players rather than a raft of average ones. We ended up with a big squad of nobody's in the end.