how to unlock an iPhone 3gs pls?

hamster

Cheers es, ill ask them but after a pronounced saga to terminate my contract due to v poor signal they may get funny.

Bought it second hand which may work in my favour but I still had 5 months to run which may not.

Which firmware do you have on it (under settings>about or something similar from memory)?

Most older versions of the iPhone can be unlocked using ultrasn0w, but you will need to jailbreak it first to facilitate the installation of the ultrasn0w hack.

It's not as good as a carrier unlock by Orange/the Apple store - as if you update your phone's software it wipes the unlock. However, it is free, which is better than not free... Suppose the simple solution is to not update your phone afterwards!

Let me know and I will search out/pm you the simplest guide I can find.

Just spoke to Orange and they are gonna email me the instructions, Not sure if ill be charged but they didn't ask for my card details, just the IMEI.

Just for others reference, i called this number: 07973 100 150 from my other phone, choose option 2 then option 3. Apparently free from an orange phone if you dial 150.

Fingers crossed....

Baseband is 05.16.05 which is not on your pm list. Assume that means I can't jb it?

Could I revert to the old version through iTunes perhaps?

You can jailbreak, but unlocking via the Jailbreak can't be done yet. You will need to wait for that to be released - could be weeks I'm afraid. Looks like Orange are your best bet.

It isn't possible to downgrade through iTunes either.

Jeff, I'm assuming you've never owned an iPhone, or had a proper play with one?

If you had, you certainly wouldn't be extolling the virtues of an operating system which with such stupid lag and menu system.