Any Advice Appreciated..

SNOWY

My laptop has died. (Hewlett Packard) The hard drive is ok apparently. How can I retreive the data off it? (I haven't backed up recently.. Yeah I know)

Will I be able to take the hard drive out of another laptop & plug mine in? Are there any recovery devices available on the market?

Any advice much appreciated.

Plugging it into another laptop could give problems if it's not the same model as there will be hardware differences.

As the previous poster has said, you can buy a caddie that you can put your drive into and it has a USB connection to a working machine where you should be able to see your drive and extract any files.

Thanks for the advice fella's. I bought a caddie set up that has enabled me to access my files. Had a bit of fun sorting out "permissions" to access the files registered against different users but got there now. I'll back up regularly from now on. I am keeping the old laptop & intend to try to repair it (as a bit of a project) I've got nothing to lose & I might learn something.