Southampton punk 1977-to-82

Ewell

Forgive me for being ignorant but I never had Southampton down as a music city. I would love to know anyone who was there and has views on the scene and some of the bands mentioned here. I am particularly interested in the venues they used to play as Southampton has never seemed to have too many. Does anyone own this CD and is it worth picking up for a few quid? I am by no means a huge punk fan but I like the mainstream stuff and of course bands like the clash. I was born in 73 so obviously any scene back then passed me by but it’s nice to know there was a big musical scene in the city where I was born.

Any views from those in the know and back in the day would be nice to hear.

http://louderthanwar.com/boredom-city-southampton-punk-1977-to-82-album-review/

I saw Stratejacket in either 80 or 81 partly due to a mate who was a roady for them, he would tune the guitars as they couldn't! Also I went to quite a few punk and reggae gigs around that time but being 24 I was seen as way too old to spike and dye my hair as much as I wanted to.

As I recall Stratejacket were ok but nothing compared with the established bands.

Catch 22 were the only big name around that time that I remember - I was 16 at the time and can just about remember seeing them at the Top Rank, but its a bit hazy now. As the article suggests, Catch 22 was graffitied everywhere around town. As for venues, the West Indian Club was also fairly popular (damn those drugs, its difficult to remember....)