Another positive (delusional?) viewpoint

AussieDog

My first new thread, but I'm sick of so much negativity (although to be fair I can understand it, but I just don't see the point in always assuming the worst).

Here's my slant on the close season shenanigans

SALES

DEFINITES

Pochetino - Over-rated, under-achieved (FFS we only finished 8th, yet most of our team will be playing in top 4 teams next year?).

Lambert - Best days behind him. Leaves as a legend.

Lallana - At his peak, but not a 90 minute player. Could have been a legend but soured his relationship with some stupid comments. Extracted maximum return for him.

Shaw - Obviously a class player, yet still raw. For the fee received, we can get in an experienced, quality left back and still keep the path open for Targett when he is ready.

Lovren - Mercenary. Good player but for the fee received we can get better.

PROBABLE

Chambers - The only one I'm really disappointed over BUT If the fee is to believed, then good business especially as we have Clyne and maybe, just maybe, there is talent waiting to come through (Stephens?) as backup

Osvaldo - Good riddance, but would be quite happy to see him rot in the reserves unless we can con someone into stumping up 10 million. We don't exactly need the money, so happy with either outcome

POSSIBLE

Schneiderlin - a bit unknown but MAYBE he was promised last year that if he gave us one more season we wouldn't stand in his way if the right offer came along. Will be disappointed if he chooses Spurs, would understand if he joined Arsenal

Ramirez - Could be the making of him if he stays, but equally, if we can get our money back, he could move on. Not exactly upsetting the team by selling him as he has only been a "bit" player so far anyway.

POTENTIAL

Jay Rod - Anything over 15 million for a player with his current injury would represent outstanding value, and doesn't effectively need replacing until January as he would have been out until then anyway

NOT YET MENTIONED

Wanyama - Has everybody forgotten him? To be honest he was one of the ones I expected to leave as he didn't seem all that keen coming here anyway.

HAPPY TO SEE GO

Mayuka - based on what he has shown so far not got enough for a Premier League team (even our current one).

Sharp - Deserves better treatment, but if he was to spend the season on the bench I wouldn't be disappointed considering the current upheavals.

Gazzanigga - blocking the way of the other younger goalkeepers for the 3rd spot and hasn't shown anything worth keeping to date.

CONTRACTS OFFERED

Fonte - Would like to see him sign it, but if we got 4 million would probably consider it a good deal.

Cork - The "Nick Holmes" of the current generation. Vastly under-rated. Would be sad to see him move on, but maybe they consider Reed as a ready replacement.

Of course, this is all assuming we get in another 4 or 5 (or 6...) top players (ie 10 million or more) to replace.

I never thought I would see the day when Saints spend 80 million in a transfer window, but why not? We'd still be 50 million to the good based on the talk at the end of the season regarding the transfer budget for this season.

TEAM FOR LIVERPOOL (not sure what formation but I guess that depends on who we buy)

Boruc/Forster

Clyne

new

new

new

JWP

Cork

new

new

Pelle

Tadic

SUBS

Reed

Stephens

Boruc/Forster

Isgrove

Yoshida/Fonte

Targett

McQueen or Gallagher

Of course we are in deep stuff if/when we get injuries or suspensions, but every year one or 2 step up and don't look out of place. why should this year be any different?

Fire away all you haters.... :)

Yep. Let's also see how many new players some of the other premiership teams start with as well. I have a feeling Man Utd, Liverpool will have a similar number.I bet there are quite a few others too. Admittedly they will have some on board already but there is still a month to go of the transfer window and there is a hell of a lot of business still to be carried out. Of course it will be difficult, but I don't believe we will put out a bunch of kids and get hammered 8-0 in our first game either :) Last post of the day so will have to sit back and cop the flak now until tomorrow :)

I fail to see this as a positive outlook when you're assuming Wanyama is off. There hasn't been any speculation surrounding him at all. Nothing, nada. And why don't you consider Fonte a starter? Apart from that you have some good points.

Boruc/Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Van Dijk

Rojo

JWP

Morgan

Wanyama

New

Tadic

Pelle

I think maybe they have Mccarthy lined up for the back up right back spot (he played in a few friendlies there) so can understand if we sell Chambers cos he is coming through to sit on the bench otherwise we'd have too many right backs.

To be fair I am not opposed to selling players based on the strength of various spots in the academy as its good for the rep of our academy to attract more and more players.

Also I keep clinging to the hope that Les knew that these players wanted to leave back in June (except chambers) and has agreed deals with their replacements already but cannot join still due to the world cup cos to be reactionary to each individual's transfer would be shocking given our slow ability to sign people.