One dilemma: energy management

NewYorkSaint

So... it's been a common pattern since the start of the season. We go all out first half with our high-press game and have often stunned teams into conceding.  

But we always pay a price. The team isn't able to sustain it over 90 minutes.  So it's no accident that we're among the best for first half goals, and worst for second half.

This is core to Ralph's strategy. And in a league where many teams have vastly more to spend on their players, you can make a strong case for it. Blitz them. Surprise them. Take a lead. And then fight like hell to maintain it.  

It worked pretty great for the first third of the season.

I worry that two things have happened.

1) Teams have watched us and started to figure out how better to play around the press.

2) We've started to pay an additional cost beyond second half exhaustion... namely, overall physical exhaustion.  Our injury rate and - judging from today - overall physical vitality have taken a hit.

Of course, it's not helped by numerous 'bad luck' moments such as key refereeing decisions and the bad momentum brought on by losses leading to low morale in a cycle.

What to do? 

Dial back a bit the all-out first half blitz?  

I think there may be a case for it.

I remain huge Ralph supporter. He'll figure this out. But it's a giant challenge at this point.

• Like 1