Speakers

Minty

Have finally bought a decent sound system (Marantz S-CR503 - can't afford separates!) for general use in the lounge and need some speakers to go with it. Budget is limited (less than £100) but happy to get secondhand.

Have found some Eltax Symphony 6.2 floorstanders available for £50, which although rather old, seems like a possible good start. Other than that I seem to be looking at shelf/stand-mounted options like Cambridge S20's or Q Acoustics 2010's for about £70ish. I've looked up reviews and these both seem ok, but does anyone have any words of wisdom or recommendations?

Ta.

Depends on taste, room size and the neighbours to be honest. I'm no expert, but I have a pair of Quad 11Ls in my home office (Rotel amp) and their big brother 22L (Naim separates) in my listening room. The 11L's are absolutely stunning in detail. The 22L's are good, but disappointingly aren't the 11Ls on steroids that I was hoping. Still good speakers, but the 11L's are just exceptional.

I have a pair of Eltax Symphony 6, some 14 years old and they are still going strong. All I have had to do is replace the grille cloth as my cats took exception to it.

I have a pair of B&W DM4 speakers that I bought in 1973. They are still going strong - but one of them was disfigured at the front, bottom, right corner by my dog, who nimbled on it when she was a puppy!

3246-dm4.JPG

Edited by Hamilton Saint

I have a pair of Eltax Symphony 6, some 14 years old and they are still going strong. All I have had to do is replace the grille cloth as my cats took exception to it.

Funnily enough, I imagine we would have the same problem, although the wife prefers them without the grill on.

Out of interest, how much did they cost new 14 years ago?

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for missions. Got some 700 series in 5.1 setup cracking sound.

I also have the mcr-603 cracking machine. I paired mine with dali zensor 1's which are a real find. If u could get some second hand i think they are better than the q acoustics 2020i around the same price. Especially if u like ur music with good bass.