The Class of '03 v The Class of '17

Colinjb

Different finals but the first side we have had to compare to the halcyon days of May 2003. Looking back at the team and comparing it to now raised a few thoughts.

For Striking options what I would give to have a fit again Beattie in our squad. Our modern formation and players do however look a bit more tricky and unpredictable.

At the back: Yoshi and Claus appear to comparable. VVD and Svensson also seem similar, although..... heresy though it may once have been to say, VVD is better.

In terms of experience, similarities too between Baird and Stephens.

Midfield, well: Oakley and Anders with Marsden and Telfer on the wings. Defensive. Far prefer the idea of Puel's set up compared to Strachan's even more safety first approach.

Just over four weeks to go. Cannot wait.

My team would be;

Niemi

Cedric - Svensson - Virgil - Bridge

Oakley - Romeu - Marsden

Rodriguez - Beattie - Tadic

Subs; Forster, Yoshi, Bertrand, Davis, Anders, Tessem, Ormerod

I've only used players who were available (or are likely to be) for both finals, so left out Pahars and Austin.

2003 seems like an age ago, I still remember watching Chris Baird stealing glances at his runners up medal like a kid who got the cake while a lot of our other players could barely touch them. we had some good players in that team but I think todays crop are generally better, what we wouldn't give for a mid twenties James Beattie absolute quality striker and would surely bag plenty in the current team.