Getting priority on a wireless network advice pls

hamster

Hi,

In our house we now have FOUR laptops on the go most evenings, all sharing the one BT Homehub.

When the GK's are playing their silly little games and the DIL is watching TV On Demand, I seem to get disconnected every 5 minutes or so. They recemtly discovered how to set the X-Box online so I am not expecting the situation to improve.

Is there any way (as the administrator) that I can configure the modem thingy to give me the lions share of the bandwidth?

I really would appreciate people's advice please in layman's terms?

hamster

What version home hub?

2.0 has access control i think

EDIT- Yes it does-

For BT Access Control to work you need to switch it on.

Here's how to turn it on:

Open your web browser and browse to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager. (Find out what the problem is if the page does not display properly.)

If this is the first time you've opened the Hub Manager, you'll be asked to change your password now. Please follow instructions on the screen, then carry on with the steps below.

Click the Settings tab.

You'll be asked to enter your username and password.

Click on the BT Access Control menu option.

Click Yes on the Enable Access Control option.

Select the device you want to control. What if the device I want to block is not listed?

Set the times that you want to block Internet access to that device.

Click the Add button.

Repeat steps 7-9 for all the devices you want to have Access Control for.

When you've finished, click Apply.

The screen will refresh and you'll be able to see the settings that you have just added. Back on the Hub Manager homepage you'll see that the status of BT Access Control has changed from 'Not enabled' to 'Enabled'. BT Access Control will become active on the individual devices when it reaches the start time that you've chosen.

More disconnect others rather than lower priority. Not sure the homehub uses QoS so don't think bandwidth throttling will be an option.

Edited by saint_stevo

stevo, I don;t have time right now but will deffo have a tinker sometime this week. You are a star if this works mate, they are all laughing at me cos they say I need a new laptop (this one's 4 years old but with the odd re-install) does everything I need it to.

He who lols last etc.....

Cheers fella.

QoS is what you really need otherwise you are blocking everything. BT homehub is not capable of handling it however. The best routers for QoS are Linksys and Buffalo routers as you can overwrite the firmare very easily with something called 'Tomato'. I use this at home to set priorities so that things like BBC iPlayer dont affect normal web browsing. You can get a second hand router that can be used with Tomato pretty easily on ebay.

Take a look at http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

After re-reading the advice above a few times I think it has sunk in that with our current BT eauipment I can not restrict the bandwidth that any approved devices use, only disconnect them periodically. Yes?

Although it would be fun for a night or two to have the others in the house moaning and not even know that I was knocking them off, it is not what I am after ultiamtely.

mderalove, I thi nk that you are suggesting a new router and upgrading the firmware. Yes? If I do this are you suggesting that the actual quality and strength of the signal will improve, thus making us all a lot happier?

I would like to give them a taste of their own medicine by 'bottlenecking' their speed especially as I have had a couple of weeks of them ALL laughing everytime I have to refresh my connection and saying 'Oh, we thought you were supposed the expert'. I have never pretended to be an IT expert, all I tell them is that they are thick as **** - not the same thing in my book.

Anyway, I won't at this stage be buying a new router but will consider purchasing a USB mobile dongle thingy and then they can have the whole ****ing BT router to themselves, including getting it taken off of the shared direct debit list. You wnat to hog it, you ****ing have it mateys!!

...and breathe...

cheers for clearing the situation up people, most grateful I am.

xx

Yes a new router that supports QoS is your best bet. Doesn't have to be brand new - a second hand one flashed with Tomato firmware will suffice. Tomato will also let you up the power of the wireless transmission too. routers are never turned to their full capabilities out of the box. I got a Wireless-N netgear router from Virgin Media when I upgraded to their 50Mb service but stayed with my old Buffalo router for stability, and tweakability. Don't regret it at all.

http://www.decimation.com/markw/2007/10/03/tomato-qos-setup/ is an article on how to do it but gives info on capabilities too.